Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• ventureventure Member Posts: 2,872
    carnaught said:

venture said:

First impressions:

It’s a lot quicker than I thought it would be. I assume it’s the low end grunt because of the turbo. Faster than my 3.6, but I suspect, at speed, the 3.6 would win out. Losing that engine is my only regret.

These are nice cars…for a Subaru.

It has a lot of tech. Much of it my old Legacy had, but there is new stuff to play with too.

Eyesight is always a fan favorite and, of course, it has the usual Auto Emergency Braking, Lane Departure and Sway Warning (whatever that is), Adaptive Cruise, Reverse Automatic Braking, Blind Spot Detection, Rear Cross Traffic Alert, 180-degree front View Monitor, and 7 billion airbags.

The 11.6” Nav. screen is huge. The Nappa leather seats are nice. 10-way drivers and 8-way passenger seats is a lot of adjustment for getting it right and never touching it again. Ventilated and heated seats, but the ventilated part creeps me out a little. Dual-zone Auto Climate Control is nice as always. Automatic power folding side mirrors w/ reverse auto tilt down would keep Mrs. jmonroe from knocking the mirror off the car. Moonroof that I will never use. Wireless phone charger is nicer than I thought it would be.

It’s screwed together pretty well. Of course there are only 12 miles on it.

Very nice Subie. Love having the the same color combo on one of my cars. With the white exterior, the cognac interior was second only to red, which was not offered. Out of curiosity, what was the msrp of your car? It is nicely equipped.

MSRP was 37,840.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,507
    Touring right? Same model in an outback is just about $3k more.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    edited May 2020

With the talk about speeding, I've mentioned the increase in some much higher speeds with the lower automobile traffic in this area. The state patrol was out, but seemed to be using their many known common areas to sit and monitor, and they didn't seem to mind some higher speed. Used to sit in median in a crossover or perpendicular to the traffic on the right side. It seemed at first it was the Dodge Chargers letting the horses loose to clear the carbon in the engine. Now it's lots of different vehicle types.

But the last few days I'm seeing a change in how our state patrol operates. They are sitting in different areas than before and using some of the masking techniques that other states used in the past, such as sitting in the shade under overpasses on the inside of the traffic lanes where there's a barrier and where they blend in with the concrete supports.

I suspect revenues will increase shortly.

Some have suggested that if a Traffic & Engineering Survey has an "Engineer's" stamp justifying a lower posting than the 85th percentile, that makes it legit, despite the Engineer's paycheck coming from Uncle Sam.

Of course it's a vast conspiracy when you claim they are all in on it (those that are corrupt and lack integrity). But we see what happens to Government officials, Scientists, and Engineers when they don't go along with the corrupted powers that be and sell themselves out:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/05/19/florida-covid-19-coronavirus-data-researcher-out-state-reopens/5218897002/?utm_source=quora&utm_medium=referral

This isn't a conspiracy, it is straight forward. I guarantee the Engineer signatures on 85th percentile reports I've pulled from San Diego County had the same level of corruption behind them, to avoid a situation like that poor female in the story linked above, but at least she still has her integrity and respect intact.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975
    stickguy said:

Just wash your new jeans before sitting in the car. Or don’t wear ones that are really dark.

....and don't buy cheap jeans that will run. ;)

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

OK...thanks. Vroom is at $23,500, Carvana is at $24,300. So, putting my number at $27K.

That's allowing for $1,000 to go to new tires, which is what the OEMs would cost for Michelin Pilot Sport.

I think that's fair for the buyer as well as me. The water still beads up on the paint from the last wax job I did. There aren't even any leather creases on the driver's seat.

We'll see how this goes.

From my survey of the used car market, prices are depressed. You maybe have to knock off 5-10% to make a sale. Cars seem to be sitting for multiple months now.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    jmonroe1 said:

houdini1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

verdugo said:

benjaminh said:

verdugo said:

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaack. ....

Welcome back!
    Thank you!
    Good to have you back. I wondered what happened to you and just figured you got tired of watching @driver100 rack up posts. :(

jmonroe
    Well, if I only had 1425 posts I would try to rack up some too! You've been left back in the dust my friend :p

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

verdugo said:

benjaminh said:

verdugo said:

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaack. ....

Welcome back!
    Thank you!
    Good to have you back. I wondered what happened to you and just figured you got tired of watching @driver100 rack up posts. :(

jmonroe
    Well, if I only had 1425 posts I would try to rack up some too! You've been left back in the dust my friend :p

That's like a golfer bragging that he shot 110 and his competitor only shot 65.
    He hasn’t learned yet that you don’t have to swing at every pitch.

jmonroe

I think you are confusing baseball with golf! :o

https://www.thenewspaper.com/news/69/6928.asp

CA and Encinitas are joining the 21st Century and finally getting rid of red light scameras!!! It's about time. They've had them for as long as I can remember. Great town on the coast north of San Diego, but the cameras were a joke.

Humans are advancing and progressing in the Golden State. How's your State doing in regards to this type of corruption?
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Orange? I don’t think so!
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    suydam said:

Orange? I don’t think so!

Lexus calls the same color "flaxen".

My BMW 740i had a similar leather interior called "cognac".

2021 Genesis G90

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,298
    @tifighter and@venture,
    Congrats on the new cars.
    Have we every had 2 in one day?
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,604
    Shoot, hasn't @breld had two in one day?

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,136
    Someone must have forgot to send in their bribe.

Still plenty in some areas here, although there's one in my city that I don't necessarily hate - a notoriously bad 5 way intersection where entitled eastsiders will often blow right through, and probably use daddy's lawyer to get out of it anyway.
    andres3 said:

https://www.thenewspaper.com/news/69/6928.asp

CA and Encinitas are joining the 21st Century and finally getting rid of red light scameras!!! It's about time. They've had them for as long as I can remember. Great town on the coast north of San Diego, but the cameras were a joke.

Humans are advancing and progressing in the Golden State. How's your State doing in regards to this type of corruption?

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,644
    Summer has arrived.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

edited May 2020
    Wow! 20 years old and it looks like new! How much will they give you for it as a trade-in?
    Lawn is looking pretty good too.

stickguy said:

Touring right? Same model in an outback is just about $3k more.

Touring XT.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,964
    Waiting in the vet's parking lot, we have a sick pup, it was nice to see a decent bead on the hood. Cool and rainy. No top down weather here.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

driver100 said:

stickguy said:

Just wash your new jeans before sitting in the car. Or don’t wear ones that are really dark.

I usually buy jeans made in the USA. It's getting tougher to get them. The last 2 pair I bought were Levi's - made in Nicaragua. :disappointed:

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,900
    venture said:

driver100 said:

stickguy said:

I usually buy jeans made in the USA. It's getting tougher to get them. The last 2 pair I bought were Levi's - made in Nicaragua. :disappointed:
    https://www.allamericanclothing.com/made-in-usa/jeans.html

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,345
    sda said:

Waiting in the vet's parking lot, we have a sick pup, it was nice to see a decent bead on the hood. Cool and rainy. No top down weather here.

Is the pup okay?

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

tjc78 said:

venture said:

driver100 said:

stickguy said:

I've bought quite a few pairs there. A few years ago I was having fit problems with their jeans. Maybe I will give them another try. Thanks for the reminder.

Texas jeans was another place. The fit was good, but they just didn't last.

I took Mrs. venture to Dairy Queen in the new Legacy. We were going past a ball field and there were kids in there at the batting cage. I was looking at them being so close together when a message popped up on the dashboard that said, "Keep Your Eyes on the Road".

It was bad enough that it was creepy, but Mrs. venture agreed with the car. :smile:

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    edited May 2020
    @venture
    I don't think I congratulated you on the great car. Congraulations.
    It's one I could like.
    And the interior is a great color. Again, I could own that and be
    very happy.

How do you turn off the nanny that checks where you're looking! LOL

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

venture said:

tjc78 said:

venture said:

driver100 said:

stickguy said:

I've bought quite a few pairs there. A few years ago I was having fit problems with their jeans. Maybe I will give them another try. Thanks for the reminder.

Cheap jeans may fall apart because they are made poorly, but all jeans do shed some blue. It’s because the indigo dye can’t really permanently stick to cotton threads. Even expensive ones will run.
    https://www.heddels.com/2017/05/why-denim-fades-a-scientific-explanation/
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,900
    Yes, all jeans can run. Look at the inside of your dryer. I’ll bet you see some blue streaks along the edges of the drum.

If you have light leather you just have to vigilant and clean it before it starts to get bad.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

sda said:

Is the pup okay?
    We think she will be ok, but she is pretty sick. A delightful, energetic and full of herself 6 yr old black Golden Doodle.

venture said:

I took Mrs. venture to Dairy Queen in the new Legacy. We were going past a ball field and there were kids in there at the batting cage. I was looking at them being so close together when a message popped up on the dashboard that said, "Keep Your Eyes on the Road".

It was bad enough that it was creepy, but Mrs. venture agreed with the car. :smile:

Kids playing baseball isn't too bad, but Mrs V may not like it when the car tells you that when you look at some other things. Better wear your sunglasses.

sda said:

sda said:

Is the pup okay?
    We think she will be ok, but she is pretty sick. A delightful, energetic and full of herself 6 yr old black Golden Doodle.
    Hope she is better soon......never nice having a sick pooch.

I used to get Levis, Lee, Wrangler.......but my favorites are Urban legend from Costco for $16.

I liked them so much I brought 2 pairs back to Canada. One pair had a zipper that didn't work. I didn't have the receipt but I took them to Costco here, thinking I had about a 2% chance of them giving me my money back. The returns "guy" checked on the computer and he found I had bought them in Florida. They gave me the refund, plus the extra exchange amount, plus the tax I paid in Florida.....Costco is incredible!

driver100 said:

Wow! 20 years old and it looks like new! How much will they give you for it as a trade-in?

Thank you. It’s only a 10 footer but the top goes up and down which is all I wanted. Trade-in? Probably worthless.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

venture said:

What’s the point of bring Mrs. Venture along if the car is going to do her job?

driver100 said:

sda said:

sda said:

Is the pup okay?
    driver100 said:

sda said:

sda said:

Is the pup okay?
    Thanks all, it’s amazing how they are a positive influence and have a special place in one’s life. No wonder it’s said they’re man’s best friend.

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    venture said:

How can you keep your eyes on the road when your reading messages that appear on the dashboard?

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

edited May 2020

@venture
    I don't think I congratulated you on the great car. Congraulations.
    It's one I could like.
    And the interior is a great color. Again, I could own that and be
    very happy.

How do you turn off the nanny that checks where you're looking! LOL

Thanks.

I don't know how to turn it off yet. I'll have a look today. It's part of the DriverFocus Distraction Mitigation System thingy I'm sure.

I'm going to have to turm off the stop/start too. I made the mistake of pointing it out to her and, for some reason, she can't stand it. :smile: It doesn't bother me. The quick way is to turn on the rear window defroster, but I don't want that on all the time when she is in the car. I saw it one time while skipping through the menus.

suydam said:

venture said:

tjc78 said:

venture said:

driver100 said:

stickguy said:

Cheap jeans may fall apart because they are made poorly, but all jeans do shed some blue. It’s because the indigo dye can’t really permanently stick to cotton threads. Even expensive ones will run.
    Texas jeans were inexpensive, but they fit me pretty well. I tried again after the first pair failed, but the second pair weren't much better. The fabric would separate.

American Clothing were much better - until I couldn't get a pair to fit right.

I'm also not paying $150 to $250, or more, for a pair. I'm too rough on them. I wear them to live and work in.

driver100 said:

Thank you. It’s only a 10 footer but the top goes up and down which is all I wanted. Trade-in? Probably worthless.
    What is a 10 footer....is that how far it will go?

sda said:

driver100 said:

sda said:

sda said:

Is the pup okay?
    driver100 said:

sda said:

sda said:

Is the pup okay?
    Thanks all, it’s amazing how they are a positive influence and have a special place in one’s life. No wonder it’s said they’re man’s best friend.
    We love having Trixie around, but, she is even more important to us now....someone to look after and keep us company.

sda said:

sda said:

Is the pup okay?
    I hope she recovers quickly. It's never easy having a family member sick, especially when they can't tell you what hurts.

People on the next corner from us have a black golden doodle. Nice dog. It's name is Oakley.

“ It wasn’t the best at any one thing, but was really good in just about everything. It handled well in every sort of climate and road condition. It was relatively quick. It was comfortable. It was very smooth, with typical Honda engine precision. It had all the current tech. It was cheap to operate, got good MPG. It was cheap to maintain. It is nice inside and out.“
    Perfectly describes our 2013 Honda Accord EX-L. It was a really really good car, and yet — I did not keep it as long as most of my other vehicles, and I don’t really miss it.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,539
    driver100 said:

I used to get Levis, Lee, Wrangler.......but my favorites are Urban legend from Costco for $16.

I liked them so much I brought 2 pairs back to Canada. One pair had a zipper that didn't work. I didn't have the receipt but I took them to Costco here, thinking I had about a 2% chance of them giving me my money back. The returns "guy" checked on the computer and he found I had bought them in Florida. They gave me the refund, plus the extra exchange amount, plus the tax I paid in Florida.....Costco is incredible!

For years I had been buying Wrangler jeans. They fit me the best, wore well and cost less than the other name brands. About 2 years ago while in Sam’s I saw their jeans and they were even a little cheaper. Since I needed a pair and didn’t want to shop for a pair on the way home, which was my plan, I figured what the hell, why not give them a try. I’ve wasted more money than that on bad meals, so I bought a pair and they fit me the same and have been wearing the same as Wranglers. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if they are made by Wrangler.

Moral of the story; buy what fits and it doesn’t have to be the name brand. Sometimes you don’t get what you pay for. Like buying a Benz when a wannabe is plenty good enough.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    For the best GG. time to move on. Now too, you can look for a spare car that is different! Maybe a sports car or truck?

Jeans, I have some from BJs (Berkeley and Jensen house brand) That are actually very nice. Well made, durable, good pockets. And usually about $15 on sale.

Yes too, the base motor will be the 2.0t. Pretty much what’s in the Accord or RDX. I doubt they are going to hit rod it.

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,539
    venture said:

suydam said:

venture said:

tjc78 said:

venture said:

driver100 said:

stickguy said:

Texas jeans were inexpensive, but they fit me pretty well. I tried again after the first pair failed, but the second pair weren't much better. The fabric would separate.

American Clothing were much better - until I couldn't get a pair to fit right.

I'm also not paying $150 to $250, or more, for a pair. I'm too rough on them. I wear them to live and work in.
    IMO, spending that kind of money on jeans is buying them for the sewn on badge. It would be a cold day in Hawaii when I spend that kind of money on jeans. I don’t think all my Wrangler and Sam’s jeans cost 250 bucks.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244

Well...this is a sad day at the GG estate. The TLX has been sold (I think). The lady who I’ve been mentioning came this a.m. for a test drive and gave me $300 to hold it while she arranges financing. She said that isn’t an issue. Never know.

But, I told her I’d leave it in the garage and not drive it until she brings me the check for the $26,700 balance.

Not hard to say that the TLX was one of the best cars I’ve ever owned. It wasn’t the best at any one thing, but was really good in just about everything. It handled well in every sort of climate and road condition. It was relatively quick. It was comfortable. It was very smooth, with typical Honda engine precision. It had all the current tech. It was cheap to operate, got good MPG. It was cheap to maintain. It is nice inside and out.

I guess I could nit pick it a little. The transmission, especially compared to the one in the Stinger, could be fussy at times. It didn’t like dropping down a gear or two unless it was prodded. The two screen infotainment that everyone doesn’t seem to like, really was good, as it allowed me to see map info on one screen and HVAC and/or entertainment on the other. I liked that. The graphics were a bit “old” looking. But, I used Apple CarPlay most of the time, anyway. The Honda Sensing erred on the side of over cautiousness sometimes. It would throw out the boat anchor on the interstate while using the cruise every once in a while.

But, nary a squeak, nor a rattle ever reared its head. It’s as tight today as the day I drove it off the dealer’s new car delivery area.

She’s getting a very good car that if pressed, will easily last another 150,000 miles. And, it’s probably the nicest used example of the current TLX platform in the city.

I know the new TLX is showing next week. And, it will hit the showrooms in November. I know Acura hasn’t talked about any drivetrain for the new TLX except for the S-Type, which will be a V6 turbo. But, I think the new one, in all but S-Type trim, will probably be Honda’s 2.0T...maybe tweaked a bit to 300HP. Probably not a bad iteration.

Not sure even the S-Type would be any better than my Stinger, though.

Anyway, the TLX will go down in GG history as one of the best ever in the stable, past or present.

Congrats on the sale. I was going to throw out a wild guess of $26,500, so wasn't too far off. Tough to let go of a good car. Most of my cars have been sold towards the end of their useful lives. But, like a moving from one house to another, a lot of good memories in that space.

And congrats to Venture on his new ride. I do like the "orange" seats too. :-)
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147

Well...this is a sad day at the GG estate. The TLX has been sold (I think).

View it as an opportunity. You can pick another automobile to rebuild the stable.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Lee jeans guy, myself. Seems the only place I can find them is Kohls...about $30/pr on sale. Although, I've always been tempted by the Old Lucky jeans I've seen at Costco. Never pulled the trigger though. Anyone have any experience with them?

As far as another vehicle? I wouldn't mind having a pickup. The times I have needed one I can count on one hand, though.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    edited May 2020

The lady who I’ve been mentioning came this a.m. for a test drive and gave me $300 to hold it while she arranges financing. She said that isn’t an issue. Never know.

But, I told her I’d leave it in the garage and not drive it until she brings me the check for the $26,700 balance.

:'( Yes, a sad day. It is hard to give up your car....but, when a new one comes along, it will replace the one you are giving up.....kind of like a girlfriend, or country-western song.
    GG, it sounds like you got your asking price without a problem. I like that kind of buyer, knows it is a fair price and losing the car for a few $100 isn't worth it.
    About Costco and jeans....I have bought more expensive jeans but I prefer Costco Urban Star jeans for $16. They also have Calvin Kleins from time to time for about $20.

Well...this is a sad day at the GG estate. The TLX has been sold (I think). The lady who I’ve been mentioning came this a.m. for a test drive and gave me $300 to hold it while she arranges financing. She said that isn’t an issue. Never know.

Not hard to say that the TLX was one of the best cars I’ve ever owned. It wasn’t the best at any one thing, but was really good in just about everything. It handled well in every sort of climate and road condition. It was relatively quick. It was comfortable. It was very smooth, with typical Honda engine precision. It had all the current tech. It was cheap to operate, got good MPG. It was cheap to maintain. It is nice inside and out.

I guess I could nit pick it a little. The transmission, especially compared to the one in the Stinger, could be fussy at times. It didn’t like dropping down a gear or two unless it was prodded. The two screen infotainment that everyone doesn’t seem to like, really was good, as it allowed me to see map info on one screen and HVAC and/or entertainment on the other. I liked that. The graphics were a bit “old” looking. But, I used Apple CarPlay most of the time, anyway. The Honda Sensing erred on the side of over cautiousness sometimes. It would throw out the boat anchor on the interstate while using the cruise every once in a while.

But, nary a squeak, nor a rattle ever reared its head. It’s as tight today as the day I drove it off the dealer’s new car delivery area.

She’s getting a very good car that if pressed, will easily last another 150,000 miles. And, it’s probably the nicest used example of the current TLX platform in the city.

I know the new TLX is showing next week. And, it will hit the showrooms in November. I know Acura hasn’t talked about any drivetrain for the new TLX except for the S-Type, which will be a V6 turbo. But, I think the new one, in all but S-Type trim, will probably be Honda’s 2.0T...maybe tweaked a bit to 300HP. Probably not a bad iteration.

Not sure even the S-Type would be any better than my Stinger, though.

Anyway, the TLX will go down in GG history as one of the best ever in the stable, past or present.

You seem to have mixed emotions about selling it even though you got a great price considering the used car market right now. I forget, how did she locate you, I seem to remember she worked at the Acura dealer but what did she do, go into the system to get your personal data?

It worked out great in your case but what if she was a crazy stalker?

Anyway, congratulations on another great financial transaction. I predict that you’ll be back in an Acura sooner or later.

Lee jeans guy, myself. Seems the only place I can find them is Kohls...about $30/pr on sale. Although, I've always been tempted by the Old Lucky jeans I've seen at Costco. Never pulled the trigger though. Anyone have any experience with them?

As far as another vehicle? I wouldn't mind having a pickup. The times I have needed one I can count on one hand, though.

Get one of the ex rentals that are soon to flood the market. No towing, no plowing, most of the miles are put on by being driven from office to office. If you believe the various internet mavens, prices are never going to be this low again.

Bugs me that it’s supposed to be a great time to buy, but I am out of the market (for real).