Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,139
    You'll be happy with your car. Nothing is ever 110% perfect - even if you did a custom build, you'd realize that you forgot something, after taking delivery of the car, of course :) I still love my car more than a year into it, but I wish it had a couple things - HUD and acoustic package in particular. However, it was sitting on the lot, and it has a lot of what I want, so I am pleased. You got a good deal on a good car. These TTV6s seem to have virtually the performance of AMGs of 20 years ago, with the mileage of 4 cyl cars from 20 years ago. Not bad.

Speaking of logo, I have it and lighted sills, posh:

I wouldn't have picked it, but passengers are always amused.

driver100 said:

Doubt if the light costs much to make, especially just adding the logo to a light.
    The pano roof is a safety feature...at least that is what they told us at the factory in Stuttgart.....it adds strength to the roof,
    Like I say, even on a cool morning the heated steering wheel is nice, and if you have arthritis it is therapy.

I never open the sunroof...but, on cloudy or cool days I like the light coming in...and it feels more open, almost like a convertible. It's like if I lived in an apartment, I would probably never go out on the balcony, but, I want it there so I don't feel enclosed.

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    edited May 2020
    I drove over to Flagstaff and back today (260 miles) and enjoyed it. Lots of traffic moving to higher elevations a day before the real onslaught will begin, but it was mostly headed the other way. In any event, it was a pleasant drive, and I somehow made it through without being concerned with what's projected on the ground in the dark when I approach my car.

I'm so, so not in the target demographic for any vehicle sold today. That said, I enjoyed my drive of more than 30 miles, which seems to be a subject absent from most of the posts here.

Different strokes. . .
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,081
    sda said:

ab348 said:

Cadillac is bad for packaging options that makes things terribly expensive. The other day to pass some time I was “building“ a few different models on their Canadian website. On one model, checking the box for adaptive cruise control added $6300 to the price because it only came bundled with a bunch of stuff. On another, getting the same leather seats I have in my ATS added $8900. Crazy.

Are you thinking of replacing the ATS?
    No, this was strictly to satisfy curiosity and keep up to date on their current offerings. It started when I got an XT6 (their new big SUV) as a service loaner back in April and was astounded to learn how much it stickered for.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• ventureventure Member Posts: 2,872

venture said:

abacomike said:

I was over to the mall today to get some exercise. After the exercising, I "lusted" for chicken as I passed the food court and Chick-Fil-A. Their chicken strips are great.

But the main topic of this post is how car manufacturers can come up with some cheesy ways to grab more money from the public at large. You all know I had to settle for an E450 4MATIC with a couple of options I would never add to a car - namely a heated steering wheel (good up north , but not down here in FL) and Exterior Logo Projections.

I've never seen them before, but since I had to park in a poorly lighted garage during severe thunderstorms, as I approached the driver's door, I see this huge lit projection of the Mercedes star logo on the ground adjacent to the door. I said to myself, "...so that's what they look like!"

What a waste of $250 on a car. The heated steering wheel is also $250. Along with that panorama sunroof ($1,000) that I'll never use, that's $1500 of useless options, IMO. If I had been able to get a car with the options I would have preferred (Active Multi-contoured front seats with massage and rear power sunshade for $1760 total) I would have been a little happier, but it is what it is.

Just can't get over those LED Logo Projectors - a waste!🤨

My old Legacy had them. They're just fancy puddle lights, aren't they?

Does you new car have auto. folding mirrors? I was wondering how the logo thingys (or just proximity puddle lights) work with the mirrors folded in.

I'll have to go out to the garage when it gets dark to satisfy my curiosity. Assuming I remember. :smile:
    On the BMW the "puddle lights" work the same regardless of the mirrors position as the light is in the door handle. However it's not a logo so now I feel a bit jipped.
    I stumbled out to the garage with the fob in my pocket last night after it got dark. The mirrors were folded in and the lights came on when I got close. They shined against the doors. I guess it is enough to find whatever you are supposed to find with those lights. All the cars I have ever had, I can't remember ever really needing the puddle lights. I guess there could be a time...

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Wonder what the insurance claim will be for all of those Fieros? $3.72?

What? Too soon?
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    Puddle lights on the Stinger work as you approach the car and the side mirrors fold out, then light up. Is it a feature I like? I’m ambivalent. Never had that before. Not sure I knew it was a feature up until now. But, if I was caught in a rain storm, and the puddles were relatively deep, I guess I might like it.

Just wondering which focus group came up with the idea of puddle lights and the financial analysts who approved them? “Hey...know what we should do......??????”

I drove over to Flagstaff and back today (260 miles) and enjoyed it. Lots of traffic moving to higher elevations a day before the real onslaught will begin, but it was mostly headed the other way. In any event, it was a pleasant drive, and I somehow made it through without being concerned with what's projected on the ground in the dark when I approach my car.

I'm so, so not in the target demographic for any vehicle sold today. That said, I enjoyed my drive of more than 30 miles, which seems to be a subject absent from most of the posts here.

Different strokes. . .

I don't know how you can leave the house at night. :D

Probably true, but it ain't going to get any better. Many nannies come along with the car whether you need them or not.

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975
    Peanut butter...the perfect food. Nutritious, cheap, lasts a long time even without refrigeration. It should be in it's own food group.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324

On the BMW the "puddle lights" work the same regardless of the mirrors position as the light is in the door handle. However it's not a logo so now I feel a bit jipped.

Not to worry: BMW LED Door Light Projectors

I have the lights, they project down from the door handle, it's just a light that floods the area by the door. It just doesn't project the BMW logo, but I'm good with that.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

I used to love peanut butter but in my declining years I've found I can't eat very much of it at all now without it causing me to have an unpleasant reaction. I don't know if it is due to something in peanuts themselves (I suspect so) or just the oil/fat content of it.

As for Jif, I tried it when it was introduced here and was unimpressed. I also despise the TV commercials they are running for it here in Canada, just dumb. Not that I am any sort of expert on PB but I always found the store-brand (especially Sobeys) smooth variety superior to all others. Crunchy PB is something I have always avoided. Butter is not supposed to be crunchy after all.

Puddle lights seem kind of silly, but, I do recall one night there were large puddles and the lights probably saved me from getting a soaker!

80% of American homes have peanut butter. The National Peanut Board states that a full 60 percent of Americans prefer smooth to chunky. The National Peanut Board also claims that women opt for smooth, while men lean toward chunky.

Hmmmm, so real men like "Chunky"!

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/smooth-vs-chunky-peanut-butter_n_5609435?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAFsAntokAFIIn9WHflB2jXqE6Nl9d6NWt91Y_Z9cseMCh6vrWEINJ1ygOBqSaVOe8xk8aY74s2Jb3ZbdJImbDA3QFTL9E7-Il2kQc6p-ZYKCQdqvWmBA2oCWiDoOxcSBzSjYTFJh2dFruXSPUnLcpajLLSozFK0MY_rjM4rYQ_Ba

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905
    driver100 said:

80% of American homes have peanut butter. The National Peanut Board states that a full 60 percent of Americans prefer smooth to chunky. The National Peanut Board also claims that women opt for smooth, while men lean toward chunky.

Hmmmm, so real men like "Chunky"!

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/smooth-vs-chunky-peanut-butter_n_5609435?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAFsAntokAFIIn9WHflB2jXqE6Nl9d6NWt91Y_Z9cseMCh6vrWEINJ1ygOBqSaVOe8xk8aY74s2Jb3ZbdJImbDA3QFTL9E7-Il2kQc6p-ZYKCQdqvWmBA2oCWiDoOxcSBzSjYTFJh2dFruXSPUnLcpajLLSozFK0MY_rjM4rYQ_Ba

https://youtu.be/oacaq_1TkMU

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

Puddle lights are certainly gimmicky as are many features today.

It’s just a profit center that adds to the bottom line.

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    tjc78 said:

Puddle lights are one thing I don't mind having - it's that huge LED Mercedes projected logo on the ground that gets my goat. I know I own a Mercedes but I don't have to be reminded every day by a snobbish looking puddle light! 🤪😜🤓

2021 Genesis G90

I believe some actually have kits that allow for puddle lights to say anything they want. One of my son's friends has a Toyota BRZ. I don't believe they come with puddle lights, but he has them. When he opens the door they say BRZ in lights on the ground. Not sure how effective they are. But, I guess puddle lights are a "thing" with the "younger" crowd. I guess they appreciate them more than we do.
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646

I believe some actually have kits that allow for puddle lights to say anything they want. One of my son's friends has a Toyota BRZ. I don't believe they come with puddle lights, but he has them. When he opens the door they say BRZ in lights on the ground. Not sure how effective they are. But, I guess puddle lights are a "thing" with the "younger" crowd. I guess they appreciate them more than we do.

My son’s old 2005 Sable had puddle lights on the bottom of the mirrors. No logos though so I guess it wasn’t hip. :p

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

abacomike said:

tjc78 said:

Puddle lights are one thing I don't mind having - it's that huge LED Mercedes projected logo on the ground that gets my goat. I know I own a Mercedes but I don't have to be reminded every day by a snobbish looking puddle light! 🤪😜🤓
    The logo makes it possible for them to charge you $250. Without the logo...it would be a standard item they would have put on anyway. You pay $250 for a lens cover basically....well, 4 of them.

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,543
    stickguy said:

I must be the only person here that opens the moonroof as much as possible, year round. And doesn't care for peanut butter.

Are you looking for sympathy or a badge? :o

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,513
    whatever you can spare JM.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

tjc78 Is Bruno singing about peanut butter.....had some trouble making out the words? I have heard of him, and was a bit curious......it is OK, at least it has a melody and not constant boom boom.

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    edited May 2020
    The biggest rip-off on un-needed, unwanted car add-ons is the back bumper logo decal. Not only do I dislike the look of them but they sometimes get scratched or damaged and they have the gall to charge an extra $100+ for them on certain makes. I know, pure profit.
    Installer showed up at 7:00 a.m. to start with the new A/C unit. I'm not an expert, but it seems like he's doing an awful lot of custom fabricating just to drop in a new coil and compressor. Hopefully, that's not a bad sign.

Continuing on the same thought process of Murphy's Law, the TLX buyer called earlier and said with the Memorial Day Holiday, she wouldn't have my cashier's check until next week. Banks are closed Monday. So, looking at early-mid next week before this transaction is completed. I just dug up the title and have it ready to sign over. But, if she's financing, I'm assuming the title goes to the bank or S&L.

This is turning out to be more involved than I thought it would be.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760

Continuing on the same thought process of Murphy's Law, the TLX buyer called earlier and said with the Memorial Day Holiday, she wouldn't have my cashier's check until next week. Banks are closed Monday. So, looking at early-mid next week before this transaction is completed. I just dug up the title and have it ready to sign over. But, if she's financing, I'm assuming the title goes to the bank or S&L.

If her bank gives her a check for you, then you’ll sign over the title to her, and then the bank will file a lien. If the title ultimately ends up with the bank, it won’t involve you.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Since she works at a dealer, tell her she has to sign your form that she doesn't want you to wash her car periodically for an exorbitant amount of money, then add on your doc fee for signing over the title.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348

Different strokes. . .

Over on the CCBA topic I mentioned that Wednesday night I found a CPO 2018 440i coupe equipped with all the BMW M go-fast goodies and a manual transmission.No Helen Keller "driving aids." The only downside was AWD. I still decided to look at it and I called the dealer Thursday and it had sold just before I called- after sitting on the lot for three weeks.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

kyfdx said:

If her bank gives her a check for you, then you’ll sign over the title to her, and then the bank will file a lien. If the title ultimately ends up with the bank, it won’t involve you.
    Thanks....makes sense. I still have $300 cash of her money.
    Road trip thread!

I was on a few hundred mile trip a couple weeks ago. However, with my area still in a mild lockdown, there's pretty much nowhere to go. I might drive 2x per week these days, 3x tops.

Hoovie just bought a pretty 51 Country Squire for the price of a moderately equipped new Camry (it might need another 10K in work). No power assists, nothing fancier than a clock and radio. Maybe seek out something like that? As demographics change, nice cars from that era will only get cheaper.

Different strokes. . .

edited May 2020

Is she having buyer’s remorse or is her credit bad?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

fintail said:

Road trip thread!

I was on a few hundred mile trip a couple weeks ago. However, with my area still in a mild lockdown, there's pretty much nowhere to go. I might drive 2x per week these days, 3x tops.

Hoovie just bought a pretty 51 Country Squire for the price of a moderately equipped new Camry (it might need another 10K in work). No power assists, nothing fancier than a clock and radio. Maybe seek out something like that? As demographics change, nice cars from that era will only get cheaper.

Different strokes. . .

“As demographics change” means “as all the old people die off”. I’ve noticed that watching Wayne Carini’s show. He takes a client’s car to the auction and it usually sells near the bottom valuation or doesn’t meet reserve. Tells me that the younger money generation isn’t interested.

I do know anything banking related is a royal pain now. At least here. Lobbies and the back room are closed, only available by appointment. And not sure how easy it is to get one of those.

fintail said:

Road trip thread!

Different strokes. . .

“As demographics change” means “as all the old people die off”. I’ve noticed that watching Wayne Carini’s show. He takes a client’s car to the auction and it usually sells near the bottom valuation or doesn’t meet reserve. Tells me that the younger money generation isn’t interested.
    It has happened with a lot of antique things.....young generation has no interest. No interest in silverware, old furniture, china, etc. A lot of young people have little interest in cars....they get no thrill from cars, they are just a necessary evil if absolutely necessary.

carnaught said:

The biggest rip-off on un-needed, unwanted car add-ons is the back bumper logo decal. Not only do I dislike the look of them but they sometimes get scratched or damaged and they have the gall to charge an extra $100+ for them on certain makes. I know, pure profit.

A big waste of money buying an overpriced license frame holder at our AutoNation MB dealer. If I didn't buy it then I would have to install it myself and I would have to drive with a pink plastic frame until I could buy one somewhere. :@

Young people don’t have money for expensive collectibles. It’s middle aged people buying what they wanted as a kid. So your 50 YO that finally can afford their dream classic, is buying something from the late muscle car through The early 80s pocket rockets.

They don’t want the 50s chrome land yachts their fathers wanted (and now need to sell). And definitely not the 20s-30s stuff their grandfathers kept!

Is she having buyer’s remorse or is her credit bad?
    Both good questions. I don't have the answer for either. I don't get the impression she doesn't like the car as she's been after me for the last few months to let her know if I'm selling it.

The credit thing? Not sure. She's been a service writer at the dealership for a good long while. I don't know what they make money wise. I'm sure she's not getting rich. On the other hand, she's still working during this whole pandemic thing.

She said if she bought my car through the dealership, it would have cost her $30K. I believe that.

Or, it's just that she's not able to get to the bank for a cashier's check until after the holiday.

If it falls through, it falls through. Really, I'm happy with either result.
    stickguy said:

whatever you can spare JM.

I can’t spare anything. I just dropped almost 450 bucks at Sam’s Club yesterday, remember ? :'(

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    driver100 said:

tjc78 Is Bruno singing about peanut butter.....had some trouble making out the words? I have heard of him, and was a bit curious......it is OK, at least it has a melody and not constant boom boom.

Lol. Certainly not peanut butter.

Chunky females. Not my kind of music, was just posting it to poke fun.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,304
    Here in CT bank buildings have been closed.
    You need to make an appointment for anything involving a bank employee.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Yup. Things like Model T/A and ordinary 20s-50s cars are cheaper now than they were 30 years ago, not even adjusted for inflation. Younger people can't relate to such cars, and many of them are dicey on modern roads. Bargains for those who like such cars, anyway.

Young money likes cars, but 80s-90s cars are the new darlings, along with cars that have always been blue chips.

My mom, who is a collector and was longtime hobbyist antique dealer, has a house full of bric a brac that was sought after 30 years ago, not so much anymore. We've told her she'll need to do something with it, lest it end up at an "everything's $1" yard sale, but no luck - I think the stuff is a security blanket.

She knows it's cheaper now, too, so we sometimes have to talk her down from a "bargain" piece of heavy old furniture she found online but doesn't actually need.

Many millennials I know, along with some of my final run Xer compatriots, look at a car as a transportation object and little more. I think plenty of people were like this in the past though.
    driver100 said:

It has happened with a lot of antique things.....young generation has no interest. No interest in silverware, old furniture, china, etc. A lot of young people have little interest in cars....they get no thrill from cars, they are just a necessary evil if absolutely necessary.

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    qbrozen said:

Little adventure here.

I just had to rescue a fawn from our pool. Mamma deer was in backyard and wouldn’t leave, kept pacing around our fence. A landscaper from next door came and rang bell. He spoke zero English, so it was like dealing with Lassie as he was motioning for me to go to backyard and then he was pointing to the water, but fawn had climbed out and was hiding behind patio box. Landscaper spotted and pointed. Of course, right then, the mamma runs away. I picked him up, he was soaking wet, but totally calm and just laid in my arms. In my bare feet, I went trekking through the woods, across the street, down the street, tracking this deer down. Finally caught up to her and reunited them. OMG. Sweatin my butt off.

I was very surprised how calm the baby was. I'm also surprised the mother was so elusive when I had her baby in my arms. I thought she'd come after me.

If you just set the fawn down in a protected spot Mama will come get it when the humans go away. She was running away from you — to protect herself so she could take care of baby later. She didn’t know you were trying to save her baby. That’s what it means to be a prey animal.

'14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    Nothing really different in what you each described. Every generation gets nostalgic for and hence values things that were special but out of reach in their formative years, maybe up to their early 30s. In a few years early iPhones will probably become collectible, who knows.

For those of a certain age, this is really nice. These do not usually age well but this one seems to have been well cared for.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174290350432?ul_noapp=true

For $7000 that old Plymouth looks pretty nice. looks like he has another classic in the background.

tjc78 said:

driver100 said:

I remember this song from 1961 and it is about peanut butter.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-V9ikQn58NY

I’d prefer the el Camino.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933
    suydam said:

qbrozen said:

Little adventure here.

I just had to rescue a fawn from our pool. Mamma deer was in backyard and wouldn’t leave, kept pacing around our fence. A landscaper from next door came and rang bell. He spoke zero English, so it was like dealing with Lassie as he was motioning for me to go to backyard and then he was pointing to the water, but fawn had climbed out and was hiding behind patio box. Landscaper spotted and pointed. Of course, right then, the mamma runs away. I picked him up, he was soaking wet, but totally calm and just laid in my arms. In my bare feet, I went trekking through the woods, across the street, down the street, tracking this deer down. Finally caught up to her and reunited them. OMG. Sweatin my butt off.

I was very surprised how calm the baby was. I'm also surprised the mother was so elusive when I had her baby in my arms. I thought she'd come after me.

If you just set the fawn down in a protected spot Mama will come get it when the humans go away. She was running away from you — to protect herself so she could take care of baby later. She didn’t know you were trying to save her baby. That’s what it means to be a prey animal.

yup. understood. "protected spot," however, is the real trick. I didn't trust to leave it on its own so near a relatively busy and fast road.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

driver100 said:

tjc78 said:

driver100 said:

I remember this song from 1961 and it is about peanut butter.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-V9ikQn58NY
    I was hoping you wouldn’t find that oldie. :@

jmonroe

Better than this one that those of us with kids a certain age probably had to hear way too many times. Not sure if anyone here is young enough to give been one of those kids watching!

https://youtu.be/C6HUvIsGhZ4