Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Recalls 256,956 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Trucks Because Driveshaft May Detach | Edmunds.com

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited January 2015 in Dodge
imageChrysler Recalls 256,956 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Trucks Because Driveshaft May Detach | Edmunds.com

Chrysler Group is recalling 256,956 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 pickup trucks because the rear axle may seize and/or the driveshaft may detach.

Read the full story here

Comments

• nb_carbonenb_carbone Member Posts: 1
    This happened to me back in 2013 and I had to pay to repair it - while it was in the shop Chrysler said there IS NO problem with situation and that I must have done something to the truck.. I said yea right, I only drive it ..

I called them today and they told me I DON'T QUALIFY after I asked if Dodge was going to pay me back for their mistake!
  • mikedisalviamikedisalvia Member Posts: 1
    i already replaced 2 rearends and believe me they are not cheap or easy to find maybe ill get reimbursed
  • chryslergroupchryslergroup Member Posts: 35
    This recall has not officially launched and is still being investigated. Once the recall officially launches, you will be notified via mail if your vehicle is in the affected population.

Erica
    Customer Care
    Fiat Chrysler Automobiles
  • hate4allhate4all Member Posts: 1
    2500 to have my rear end fixed/replaced.. this defect wiped out my ring and pinion, the carrier and bearings.
  • baddog9baddog9 Member Posts: 2
    states 2005 TRUCKS.................I HAVE A 2013 RAM ST 4X4 , AND 2 TIMES THE REAR WHEELS LOCKED UP WHEN GOING BACKWARDS IN MY DRIVEWAY !!!!!!!
  • baddog9baddog9 Member Posts: 2
    DO NOT CALL YOUR DEALER..... THEY DO NOT KNOW ANYTHING AT THIS TIME< 7-27-15
  • papa57papa57 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2011 Dodge Ram Big Horn 4x4 Crew Cab that is on the recall list as I verified this with FCA. I was also told that if I get the retention feature installed to the pinion nut then Chrysler will not buy back my vehicle minus depreciation. I was told by the dealership I purchased the pickup from that when I receive the letter, bring it to them and the service manager will see if the affected part can be fixed. I guess then that Chrysler and the dealership won't be out any monies. I have parked the pickup in my yard and don't plan on driving it until I get the letter from Chrysler, but I will not keep this vehicle either way because I do not trust the fix. I just took my family up to Pikes Peak and when I returned home I seen the recall notice in my mail. I don't even want to think about what could have happened and because of that, I don't trust my pickup any longer.
  • papa57papa57 Member Posts: 2
    I also purchased this vehicle because I have a Safety Consulting business and I couldn't afford a new one, so I thought I was getting a good deal on the used one and I have taken potential clients and customers in this vehicle. This could have had a bad ending.
  • bisonhead64bisonhead64 Member Posts: 1
    Still no word. Dealer still has no idea when the repairs can be made. My driveshaft sounds like it has a metel clothes hanger wrapped around it.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Different recall:

A reporter is looking to get in touch with car owners who are waiting for replacement parts, etc. for their faulty Takata air bags. If you're an affected owner and you'd like to help, please reach out to pr@edmunds.com by no later than Monday, November 9, 2015.
  • dram1501dram1501 Member Posts: 1
    baddog9 said:
    states 2005 TRUCKS.................I HAVE A 2013 RAM ST 4X4 , AND 2 TIMES THE REAR WHEELS LOCKED UP WHEN GOING BACKWARDS IN MY DRIVEWAY !!!!!!!

• rogo2gorogo2go Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4 and when it shifts into overdrive it slams like it goes into low or reverse for a split second. Anyone have any ideas on this? Thank you
  • DebDeb Member Posts: 1
    Mine is doing the same thing,it needs a new transmision
  • ReneelyleReneelyle Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2019
    Guys my truck is an 03 1500 5.7hemi SLT my ujoint and yoke wasnt damaged but theres no pinon nut when my drive shaft fell out! What of the 03 year models!
  • mrrandysandoval65mrrandysandoval65 Member Posts: 1
    how can i tell if my truck is affected its a 05 1500 made in 07-05 is there any more info or vin no. to go by or wait till it falls off by then it will be to late first this corona virus now my truck mite be infected and i was looking for radiator problems and i find this report so can someone point me in the right direction before it falls . should i tighten it or needs a new part?
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,745
    Just call your local dealership with the vehicle's VIN handy. They can search open recalls with that information.