Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Paint scratching: File a claim, repair or just return lease when due?

good_boy_1234good_boy_1234 Member Posts: 81
edited May 2020 in Honda
Hello,
So while was checking my car. I saw many scratches on one of the corners. Many small scratches. I don't how it happened...I don't recall I hit something. Also cannot prove someone hit me and escaped but remember yesterday I was parking in an open parking lot. I have insurance with good coverage and a new lease from Honda...Now I am confused of which is better...repair that or those kind of scratches are fine and won't get charged when turning back my lease...I heard the honda dealer said before that small scratches/wear and tear damage are expected and you won't get charged when returning your car. Or something between the lines that Honda itself has internal insurance that they fix those things regardless when they do reconditioning. Now I am confused of what to do because I typically have equity when I return leases due to low mileages and clean records so don't want these to negatively affect equity or increase charges.

Comments

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,896

Hello,
    So while was checking my car. I saw many scratches on one of the corners. Many small scratches. I don't how it happened...I don't recall I hit something. Also cannot prove someone hit me and escaped but remember yesterday I was parking in an open parking lot. I have insurance with good coverage and a new lease from Honda...Now I am confused of which is better...repair that or those kind of scratches are fine and won't get charged when turning back my lease...I heard the honda dealer said before that small scratches/wear and tear damage are expected and you won't get charged when returning your car. Or something between the lines that Honda itself has internal insurance that they fix those things regardless when they do reconditioning. Now I am confused of what to do because I typically have equity when I return leases due to low mileages and clean records so don't want these to negatively affect equity or increase charges.

Honda expects a certain amount of wear and tear during the course of a lease. When you get to the end of the lease, an inspection will be done and you'll find out then if you will be charged for the damage.

I had a decent sized dent in my Jetta when I turned it in last summer, and wasn't charged for it.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4