Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,012
    stickguy said:

I don’t have the patience to do something that over the top either. But of course would never let my own car get that bad.

Most of his videos are on vehicles that are nowhere near this filthy. Lots of farm trucks and SUVs.

He did an Eclipse once and kept marveling at how fast it took him to clean it.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,513
    As with most everything, having the right tools makes a huge difference. That scrubber brush and the steamer look need.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,543
    tjc78 said:

So my kids are 6 and 4 and know other than water or a crunchy snack there is no eating in the car. If they drop the crunchy snack I make them pick it up and toss it away.

How in the heck do you allow this to happen. Gross.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z9Q9X1jHFE

I don’t believe it. This has to be another made for the internet, get some clicks, home video. But if by chance I’m wrong, anyone who would try to clean a car like that has to have the same mental capacity as the owner of the car.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348
    edited May 2020
    tjc78 said:

So my kids are 6 and 4 and know other than water or a crunchy snack there is no eating in the car. If they drop the crunchy snack I make them pick it up and toss it away.

When my wife worked at my son's school she sometimes worked the car line for the kindergarten and elementary school. She said that a large majority of cars had interiors that looked like the inside of a dumpster. On another board a moron said he quit trying to keep his car clean after he had kids- it was easier to "join in the fun." I told the dimwit that I didn't consider driving a car with an interior that looked like the inside of a rubbish bin to be "fun" in any way, shape, or form.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,081
    Here is a far more interesting and less disgusting detail job:

https://youtu.be/NpDFjD1FVgM

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,139
    Ha, looks like Youtube suggests the same stuff for us.

Looking at that thing, happiness is being single. I bet the kids who belong to that van are unholy terrors, or the parents give them a long leash. I cringe at a water bottle in my car, not to mention any actual food - no dice.
    tjc78 said:

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,385
    My little one is allowed to eat in the car but I clean up after every ride and he helps me with it. He finds food on the floor and goes "ew gross!"
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905

My little one is allowed to eat in the car but I clean up after every ride and he helps me with it. He finds food on the floor and goes "ew gross!"

Exactly. If you teach them to be clean any mess is quickly mitigated.

For example. In the height of the quarantine I needed to get my two out of the house so decided on a long ride. The Volvo hadn’t been driven and was spotless. I didn’t bring any snacks, but did bring a water bottle for each.

My daughter naturally spilled about half of it on floor. My son immediately tells me and says “I’ll help you clean it when we get home”

The mat took the biggest hit and it simply dried outside.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

jmonroe1 said:

tjc78 said:

I don’t believe it. This has to be another made for the internet, get some clicks, home video. But if by chance I’m wrong, anyone who would try to clean a car like that has to have the same mental capacity as the owner of the car.

jmonroe

I am sure he only posts the nasty ones, but I have personally seen cars this bad. I’ll never get it.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,934
    My wife’s cars are always what I consider nasty. I can not clean mine for years and still not get to the level she does in a month.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

I took my 9 year old niece for a few hour ride in my car a few weeks ago, taking her to and from my mom's house. She could only have water - no food, and her water bottle is one of the type that doesn't spill when tipped. I laid down the rules (don't touch the windows, no food) and she was OK - still tracked in an amazing amount of dirt though :)

When I was a kid, my parents didn't keep that tight of a rein in the car, but I don't recall any big messes or even spills, I think my dad kept up with it and had us remove trash when we exited.
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    edited May 2020
    Michaell said:

tjc78 said:

I've been watching this guys thread for a few weeks now. He set up the garage in his house to do all his detailing; he posted a video of everything he did. Pretty cool setup.

But, when he talks about how long some of these jobs take (that minivan was 20 hours), I realize that I don't have the patience to invest that much time into it.
    As I was watching him wash that van I was wondering what all that water was doing to his house. Those look like sheetrock walls. He better have a good drain in the floor.

Also, 20 hours on a single job? How does he make any money? I can’t imagine a car dealer would spent that much reconditioning an old minivan. Most of them would just rip that mess out and replace it with an interior from the junkyard.

Maybe he’s like Hoovie and he takes a loss on the vehicle but makes his money on the video.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    driver100 said:

driver100 said:

abacomike said:

I was researching the capacity of my fuel tank here on Edmunds. It states I have a tank that holds 21.1 gallons. After further review in my owner's manual, it states fuel capacities fo all E Class sedans:

E350 RWD 17.4 gallons
    E350 4MATIC. 17.4 gallons
    E450 4MATIC. 21.1 gallons

I double-checked with several sites and all showed the same.

I do wonder why the E350 tank is only 17.4 gallons - while the E450 is 21.1.

Although you get unusually good mileage the E350 is rated as having higher mileage the E30 gets 23 and 32. The E450 gets 20 and 28. I am wondering if they do mileage tests with a full tank...they probably do. If that is the case, they probably prefer a smaller tank as it will weigh less and make mileage look better.

I am also wondering, why make a different tank.....it costs more to make it different, but, maybe they don't want longer stops between fill ups on a model that costs less.....greater distance between fill ups might make someone buy the more expensive E450.
    I am not to sure that a smaller tank would make any noticeable increase in mileage. We are talking about a difference of 3.7 gallons which works out to be an additional 22.2 pounds which is a little over a half a percent weight increase on a 4k pound car.
    22 pounds isn't a lot on it's own, but when you do Driver100 averaging and add 20 pounds using aluminum instead of cast iron for some part, eliminate a spare using RFTs etc...you can get up to 200 or 300 pounds. The longest trip, begins with the first step...it all adds up.
    yes but when you are questioning if they do a mileage calculation with a smaller tank because it weighs less when filled then you are only shaving off 22.2 pounds. In this case it would not account for the different MPG figures between the E350 and the E 450.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

jmonroe1 said:

tjc78 said:

jmonroe

Back in high school I was a porter at a Pontiac dealership (now a Honda and Hyundai dealership owned by Auto Nation) and I seen some messy interiors. Yes some like that one. IIRC we didn't take to much time cleaning them, the dealership really dinged people with messy interiors on the trade in value and they were sold cheep.

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    GEICO giveth and GEICO taketh away!

I just got my renewal from GEICO for my auto policy. When I bought the new car, my 6-month premium dropped to $175 a month from $204 a month. My new premium is $182 a month which includes a 15% reduction due to the corona virus. It just didn't make any sense.

I called GEICO and they told me they had a rate increase for Florida last month which, in effect, did away with my 15% reduction in rates. The net effect is that my monthly payment remains almost unchanged from my previous policy term with the new car.

So they raised rates 15% and then gave me a one-time 15% reduction in rates for 6-months. Unbelievable!!!

So WHERE'S THE BEEF? Advertise a rate credit and then raise rates! Marvelous! 🧐

2021 Genesis G90

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

abacomike said:

I was researching the capacity of my fuel tank here on Edmunds. It states I have a tank that holds 21.1 gallons. After further review in my owner's manual, it states fuel capacities fo all E Class sedans:

E350 RWD 17.4 gallons

Although you get unusually good mileage the E350 is rated as having higher mileage the E30 gets 23 and 32. The E450 gets 20 and 28. I am wondering if they do mileage tests with a full tank...they probably do. If that is the case, they probably prefer a smaller tank as it will weigh less and make mileage look better.

I am also wondering, why make a different tank.....it costs more to make it different, but, maybe they don't want longer stops between fill ups on a model that costs less.....greater distance between fill ups might make someone buy the more expensive E450.
    I am not to sure that a smaller tank would make any noticeable increase in mileage. We are talking about a difference of 3.7 gallons which works out to be an additional 22.2 pounds which is a little over a half a percent weight increase on a 4k pound car.
    22 pounds isn't a lot on it's own, but when you do Driver100 averaging and add 20 pounds using aluminum instead of cast iron for some part, eliminate a spare using RFTs etc...you can get up to 200 or 300 pounds. The longest trip, begins with the first step...it all adds up.
    yes but when you are questioning if they do a mileage calculation with a smaller tank because it weighs less when filled then you are only shaving off 22.2 pounds. In this case it would not account for the different MPG figures between the E350 and the E 450.
    OK then, I have a new theory.
    Mercedes has a target for their cars to go at least 500 miles on a tankful of gas getting maximum mpg, and over 400 mpg getting lowest mpg.
    The E450 will be under 500 miles with a 17.1 tank, and under 400 miles city, unless it has a 21.1 gallon tank.
    Take that!

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

abacomike said:

I just got my renewal from GEICO for my auto policy. When I bought the new car, my 6-month premium dropped to $175 a month from $204 a month. My new premium is $182 a month which includes a 15% reduction due to the corona virus. It just didn't make any sense.

I called GEICO and they told me they had a rate increase for Florida last month which, in effect, did away with my 15% reduction in rates. The net effect is that my monthly payment remains almost unchanged from my previous policy term with the new car.

So they raised rates 15% and then gave me a one-time 15% reduction in rates for 6-months. Unbelievable!!!

They are thinking once the coronavirus has ended you are going to go hog wild and drive your car double what you were doing before the virus. Therefore, it will all balance out!

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    edited May 2020
    Gas prices went from $1.29 to $1.79 fairly rapidly as some states got back to reality. But the last week or so has seen that price go to $1.99, and now all the Shell stations are at $2.09 while other stations are doing a lowering to even $1.82. But those will jump in price with "restoration" commands from their suppliers. I estimate by Saturday all stations will be at $2.09 because Marathon subsidiary Speedway just went up at one station.

Odd how all that petroleum sitting in the ocean that couldn't even be handled, all of a sudden has disappeared and refined petroleum is now more precious day by day. LOL

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

abacomike said:

E350 RWD 17.4 gallons

Mercedes has a target for their cars to go at least 500 miles on a tankful of gas getting maximum mpg, and over 400 mpg getting lowest mpg.
    The E450 will be under 500 miles with a 17.1 tank, and under 400 miles city, unless it has a 21.1 gallon tank.
    Take that!
    Now you're making sense, now don't let it go yo your head there is a first time for everything.

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,543

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

abacomike said:

E350 RWD 17.4 gallons

Take that!
    Now you're making sense, now don't let it go yo your head there is a first time for everything.
    You could be right but this may be the last sencible thing we ever hear from him and even this is a little shaky.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,977

tjc78 said:

When my wife worked at my son's school she sometimes worked the car line for the kindergarten and elementary school. She said that a large majority of cars had interiors that looked like the inside of a dumpster. On another board a moron said he quit trying to keep his car clean after he had kids- it was easier to "join in the fun." I told the dimwit that I didn't consider driving a car with an interior that looked like the inside of a rubbish bin to be "fun" in any way, shape, or form.
    I can’t imagine ever letting anything get so bad, there’s no excuse. I would of had a case of the red tail by my parents if I trashed anything with careless abandon. I hate to know what their house looks like. Who knows it might be spotless.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

One of our garage door openers has been throwing a fit lately, opening up when nobody is around or when you close the interior door to the house. I spent a couple hours messing with adjustments to no avail. Had "the guy" come out today. He said the circuit board is done. He tried to save me some money looking at this and that and seeing what little could be done. But, in the end, it didn't make sense to do it piecemeal when, for a few bucks more, we could get a whole new insulated door, wi-fi opener, and hardware package deal. And, of course, with a new door means doing all 3. So I got the wife, we made some quick choices, and placed the order. A hair under $4k for all 3 installed. And these are steel-backed R10-insulated, so a huge step up from the lousy single-sheet 17-yr-old aluminum ones on there now. Seems like a good deal. He estimates 3 weeks for it all to come in. Meanwhile, we gotta use that door manually, which is a big PITA, but what can ya do? I suppose I could swap motors with a less-used door. I'll have to see how much time that would eat up to judge the worthiness of such a project for 3 weeks of use.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

It would be easier to just swap cars around to put one you aren’t using behind the dead door.

abacomike said:

What creeps!🤑

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,304
    @driver100,
    Nice of you to take the info my post and claim the thought as your own.
    Unless these are US models only, it probably has nothing to do with miles and is tied to kilometers.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Yeah, those pigeon spy rings often use monkeys as muscle in their plots. They usually can be found in motorcycle gangs committing all sorts of crime including kidnapping.

https://youtu.be/_udVpp8xYpc

Insurance companies raising rates? I’m shocked I tell you, shocked, nay even stunned, to hear of such a thing.

I’m sure they had an expensive last year with so many natural disasters. That outlay was always being made up by the customers.

qbrozen said:

One of our garage door openers has been throwing a fit lately, opening up when nobody is around or when you close the interior door to the house. I spent a couple hours messing with adjustments to no avail. Had "the guy" come out today. He said the circuit board is done. He tried to save me some money looking at this and that and seeing what little could be done. But, in the end, it didn't make sense to do it piecemeal when, for a few bucks more, we could get a whole new insulated door, wi-fi opener, and hardware package deal. And, of course, with a new door means doing all 3. So I got the wife, we made some quick choices, and placed the order. A hair under $4k for all 3 installed. And these are steel-backed R10-insulated, so a huge step up from the lousy single-sheet 17-yr-old aluminum ones on there now. Seems like a good deal. He estimates 3 weeks for it all to come in. Meanwhile, we gotta use that door manually, which is a big PITA, but what can ya do? I suppose I could swap motors with a less-used door. I'll have to see how much time that would eat up to judge the worthiness of such a project for 3 weeks of use.

You should try cleaning the cobwebs and debris off the bottom of the door. Even a few leaves stuck to the weather stripping can trigger the sensor to think someone is under the closing door. Just this week I closed my door and an hour later came back to a fully opened garage. Junk hanging off cobwebs triggered it to open.

Here's the momma TL out in the rain with her big baby RDX. SIL is visiting for the weekend and we've had monsoon like rain.

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

abacomike said:

E350 RWD 17.4 gallons

Take that!
    You could be right but this may be the last sencible thing we ever hear from him and even this is a little shaky.

jmonroe
    Nah, sound science!

I remembered last night that my MLB.TV subscription auto-renewed back in March at the $121USD annual rate. With no MLB likely anytime soon I thought I’d request a refund. I was expecting to have to wrestle with them but it was easy-peasy, no trouble at all and the confirmation was sent today. Good on MLB.

One more thing to worry about now....monkeys infected with Coronavirus....when will it end!
    Of course, this story was from the internet, so...........

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    driver100 said:

One more thing to worry about now....monkeys infected with Coronavirus....when will it end!
    Of course, this story was from the internet, so...........
    If this coronavirus we are all dealing with now was transferred from bats to humans, I would not be surprised if chimps, monkeys and other mammals might be susceptible. Let's pray the pharmaceutical companies come up with a vaccine that is effective in corralling this virus in 6-10 months. Then we can all breathe easier.

2021 Genesis G90

ab348 said:

I remembered last night that my MLB.TV subscription auto-renewed back in March at the $121USD annual rate. With no MLB likely anytime soon I thought I’d request a refund. I was expecting to have to wrestle with them but it was easy-peasy, no trouble at all and the confirmation was sent today. Good on MLB.

how did you do that? I had the same problem

@driver100,
    Nice of you to take the info my post and claim the thought as your own.
    Unless these are US models only, it probably has nothing to do with miles and is tied to kilometers.

Explorer...I missed your post....that happens to me if someone posts while I am writing a post...I usually check back and get them...but not always.
    I actually did the math and worked it out...that is how I came to the conclusion for max mileage at 500 total miles, and lowest mileage of 400 total miles .
    explorerx4
    Those tank sizes would put both models over 400 miles range for their EPA city mileage rating.

Mercedes sells more cars in China, then they do in the U.S. and Germany combined. Chinese use Li's as a measure...usually a li is a mile, can't find what they actually use in cars or what they use for their odometers.

stickguy said:

It would be easier to just swap cars around to put one you aren’t using behind the dead door.

Always looking for the lazy way out! Hmmmm, management material! :p

stickguy said:

ab348 said:

how did you do that? I had the same problem
    I used the “Contact” button on their iPad app and sent them a one-sentence message. They responded initially within a short time and then I got a confirmation email this afternoon that it was done.

That generation of TL is peak modern Acura, the zenith.
    sda said:

Here's the momma TL out in the rain with her big baby RDX. SIL is visiting for the weekend and we've had monsoon like rain.

that and the 1st generation TSX both were. equivilent to BMW with the E46 3 series and same vintage (E39?) 5 series.

qbrozen said:

You should try cleaning the cobwebs and debris off the bottom of the door. Even a few leaves stuck to the weather stripping can trigger the sensor to think someone is under the closing door. Just this week I closed my door and an hour later came back to a fully opened garage. Junk hanging off cobwebs triggered it to open.
    That was step 1 out of a couple dozen I went through. Having the door totally closed for an hour and then pushing down on it and having it motor open is not an interference issue. Certainly a security issue, though!

screwing around with openers is not fun. I still remember the first time I lost a tension spring. Close to Christmas, one evening, we heard a noise in the garage. so I go out there and see the spring (it broke at the top connection) just swinging back and forth, about 6 inches from the Nissan Quest we had bought about 1 week earlier. Nothing hit either car though, almost a miracle..

I installed a couple in my younger days (one new house, from scratch including the brackets, and in this house, replaced units that were already there). But I don't like messing with springs, and the last couple that died, I just called "the guy" who showed up with new units, and did all the install and adjusting. which was a fine use of $ IMO at this point in my life.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    Our opener crapped out after 10 years. Double door was 21 years old. Faces street, starting to fade, couple of stains. $2000 total for new door and opener, installed. Includes new rails, springs, etc. Seemed very reasonable.

Also took about three weeks.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• ventureventure Member Posts: 2,872
    sda said:

tjc78 said:

I can’t imagine ever letting anything get so bad, there’s no excuse. I would of had a case of the red tail by my parents if I trashed anything with careless abandon. I hate to know what their house looks like. Who knows it might be spotless.
    I know I'm a little late with this. Working every day sort of....well.

A friend has a Jeep and two twin boys. The boys sit in the back seat. The entire front passenger area is filled with trash and some of the area in the back seat, between the boys, is similar. I've never looked behind the rear seats.

There are times when he is at the ball field, parked right next to a dumpster, and I say he can use the dumpster if he wants to clean out some of the trash. He is just not interested.

I don't get it.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

at some point it crosses over into mental illness territory. Like a hoarder.

A few years ago I replaced a late'70s/early '80s vintage GDO after it failed. Miserable job for one person. Lots of assembly, up and down ladders endlessly, finicky setup. Would not do that again.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348
    qbrozen said:

We had the same issue- no "fix" worked so we went with a new opener. The only issue is the X1 and Clubman HomeLink receivers won't recognize the new transmitters.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

The Accord doesn't have Homelink and I'm not keen on clipping the door remote on the sunvisor. As my sunglasses don't fit in the overhead holder, I put it to a better use.

I'm kind of shocked a new Accord, with its high feature set, lacks homelink. My 1998 MB had it. Is it something being decontended these days?
    Yeah Homelink has been around awhile now. Pretty sure my 2000 Solara had it and I know my 03 Avalon and 04 Grand Marquis did