Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Need to Buy a Truck

powerplaytrpowerplaytr Member Posts: 10
edited May 2020 in Ram
Hi all,

I need to buy a truck for various reasons and don't have much experience with buying cars.

I was hoping to get some advice here. My questions are:
1. Should I buy a used truck that is 5-6 years old or a brand new one?
2. Which truck brand has typically the best deals and is the best bang for the buck?
3. Are there currently any good incentives for any truck brand?

Really hope I can get some help here.

Comments

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,042

Hi all,

I need to buy a truck for various reasons and don't have much experience with buying cars.

I was hoping to get some advice here. My questions are:
    1. Should I buy a used truck that is 5-6 years old or a brand new one?
    2. Which truck brand has typically the best deals and is the best bang for the buck?
    3. Are there currently any good incentives for any truck brand?

Really hope I can get some help here.

1. What's your budget?
    2. Test drive them, and see which one you like. Shop the truck, not the deal.
    3. Lots of purchase incentives exist.

Let me call over some help to answer your questions.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• powerplaytrpowerplaytr Member Posts: 10
    Thanks for the reply. I test drove all of them and prefer the Silverado/Sierra over the Ram 1500 and F150.

I just want to make a budget friendly decision here.

I have around $17k cash for a used truck and would otherwise finance for a new truck.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,935
    edited May 2020
    We need FAR more info. What will it be used for? Do you need a back seat? Do you need 4 doors? Do you need 4x4? How many miles a year will you drive it? As I'm sure you know, trucks when new can be $20k to $75k, so ya gotta narrow down what we are talking about here.

For starters, Toyota trucks are leasing REALLY well right now. Like STUPID CHEAP.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Yeah I was definitely very stingy with the information I gave.

It will be used as the only family vehicle with 2 kids/car seats. So 4 doors and crew cab are required. I don't use it professionally but always move stuff (just did an out of state move and will move again within 1-1.5 years). Also end up borrowing it to friends and family for moving things. Had to use it more than usu during covid.

What are the Toyota lease deals? My zip code is 66223.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349

Yeah I was definitely very stingy with the information I gave.

It will be used as the only family vehicle with 2 kids/car seats. So 4 doors and crew cab are required. I don't use it professionally but always move stuff (just did an out of state move and will move again within 1-1.5 years). Also end up borrowing it to friends and family for moving things. Had to use it more than usu during covid.

What are the Toyota lease deals? My zip code is 66223.

If you actually like full size pickups I’d say have at it- buy whatever floats your boat. Me, I wouldn’t buy one on the basis of a move 12-18 months away- and I MOST DEFINITELY would never even contemplate buying a vehicle so that my friends and family could use it as a free loaner. In four years my wife and son have driven my 2er maybe three times between them.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    I don’t think you’ll get a 5-6 year old Silverado for $17k. Most in my area with 40-70k miles go for mid to upper $20s. New ones can cost $60k or more depending on options. This might be a good time to pick up a good deal on new or used.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

I mean I don't just let people drive my truck. I actually like trucks.

I want to hear the thoughts from you guys on what is a good move here. Go for a used truck that has a some miles on it or go for a new truck.

And if new I'd be curious to know if there are any good deals on any particular trucks.

And to clarify I'm not in the market for the $60k model trucks.

I'm looking for the close to base model 4x4 crew cab.
    edited June 2020
    If needing full-size, best value I know of is something like a 2017 Ram 1500 Express V6. You’d be looking at $22k-$23k for one with 35k-45k miles.

You let me know you’ll only drive it about 5k miles per year, so buying one is definitely the way to go. Even if you needed a lower budget, get something newer with high miles since you will put so few on. A Ram with 60k, let’s say, won’t even break 100k under your ownership for another 8 yrs.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Yeah that's a good perspective. I guess you're right Buying makes more sense for me than leasing.

Let's ignore my personal preference for a second. As far as the truck makes/models are concerned, is the 3-4 year old Ram the best value in comparison to the Silverados and F150s (while taking reliability etc. into account)?
    The 3.6 v6 has, in my experience at least, shown to be solid. All the trucks are pretty solid these days. But, to put price into perspective, a similar year/mileage v6 2017 F150 or Silverado look to be about 30% more than a Ram. Not really sure how equipment stacks up. I tried to look up base models of all (Express vs XL vs LS).

Thanks for checking that @qbrozen
    Can anyone else comment on equipment? I just hate the tiny screens and would love to be able to at least use apple car play or Android auto.
    go aftermarket. not sure what the "hole" for the stereo looks like in a 2017 Ram, but a double din was perfect for my Charger.

This is good advice. And I think over time and with money there are a lot of things that can be replaced that could make a base model Ram prettier.... like chrome grill, door handles, side mirror covers in paint color.

There will be limits like seats and leather wrapped steering wheels.

On another note, what are some general best practices for buying used cars that are 3-4 years old? Buying from dealerships or private party? Does certified used really mean anything?
    Only bother with CPO if you don't spend extra for it. You'll drive too little for it to be worth it. You are better buying from a dealer, to be honest. It isn't common advice, but I prefer it because you have some recourse should anything prove to be horribly wrong. Look up the laws in your state. I know, for example, here in NJ, there is consumer protection for vehicles under 100k miles and under X year (can't remember exactly), but not if purchased private party.

• Bob_Schneider88Bob_Schneider88 Member Posts: 2
    Go with a Ram 1500! This is a great pickup pick-up truck with a ton of cool features. I highly recommend looking into them.
  • skyisthelimitskyisthelimit Member Posts: 46
    What truck did you end up buying?
  • niomarvin83niomarvin83 Member Posts: 8
    Last few days of the month is best time to buy. Dealers want to move inventory to avoid taxes on stuff that's sitting around. If you're planning to keep it forever, buying new is a good idea in my opinion. And a rainy day. Usually means they haven't sold many if it's been or is bad weather.
    used, truck keep (or lose) there value so much buying new doesn’t make sense. And yes, this is me saying I wish I wouldn’t have bought at motor trader a brand new F150 2 years ago for almost 60k.
  • jkhermansenjkhermansen Member Posts: 1
    Why the hell are pickup truck manufactures making trucks with 5-5.5 ft beds reguardless of how popular they are. I am sick and tired of not being able to buy a compact or mid size truck with 6ft bed or 8ft bed. Unless you buy a 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck, it's rare to buy a mid size or compact truck with a 6ft bed unless it's a toyota tacoma, and I'm not looking to buy a toyota. The truck I would like to purchase is a crew cab, 4wd, manual transmission, and a 6-6.5 ft bed. Even the full size 1/2 ton trucks are coming out with 5.5 ft beds. All I see now days are automatic transmissions with short beds and a crew cab. I want a truck that I can use, NOT an suv with an open cargo bed that can't even haul a sheet of plywood or fishing poles without the item sticking half way out of the bed. A truck is a truck to haul and use for utility, not just to haul your family and be a grocery getter. It's rediculous!
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646

Why the hell are pickup truck manufactures making trucks with 5-5.5 ft beds reguardless of how popular they are. I am sick and tired of not being able to buy a compact or mid size truck with 6ft bed or 8ft bed. Unless you buy a 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck, it's rare to buy a mid size or compact truck with a 6ft bed unless it's a toyota tacoma, and I'm not looking to buy a toyota. The truck I would like to purchase is a crew cab, 4wd, manual transmission, and a 6-6.5 ft bed. Even the full size 1/2 ton trucks are coming out with 5.5 ft beds. All I see now days are automatic transmissions with short beds and a crew cab. I want a truck that I can use, NOT an suv with an open cargo bed that can't even haul a sheet of plywood or fishing poles without the item sticking half way out of the bed. A truck is a truck to haul and use for utility, not just to haul your family and be a grocery getter. It's rediculous!

Are you sure we’re not related? I’ve been complaining about the same thing for years. You can get fleet spec single cabs with an 8’ bed if you order it for the upper $30s. I don’t know if they offer manual tranny any more. Probably the same with Chevy or Ram.

If you’re looking for used you might have to go back a few years before manufacturers decided everyone wanted a truck to show off at the country club. Again, fleet vehicles might be the ones to look at.

If you’re looking for a late model truck with all the electronic bells and whistles in a long bed configuration I wouldn’t be optimistic.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible