Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,195
    stickguy said:

that and the 1st generation TSX both were. equivilent to BMW with the E46 3 series and same vintage (E39?) 5 series.

1st gen TSX was nice... thought about that wagon at a couple of points.
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,936
    edited June 2020
    Michaell said:
    Huh. I’m not aware of my county having its own vehicle emissions regulations nor even testing. As a matter of fact, they spend NOTHING on air quality.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,976
    edited June 2020
    Stick, JM, and snake, thanks for the great comments. Exactly the info I was hoping for. I would go with electric since it wouldn't get used much and gas can be a hassle making sure it keeps its power....STABIL etc.
    I may buy one.........maybe I'll go into business and become the "Power Washer Guy" in the neighborhood.
    May even go around in my Batman outfit!

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    I bought a cheap $90 or so Ryobi from Home Depot. I looked at the various really inexpensive models to gently spray the deckwood, 12'x20'. It has 3 different nozzles. You do want to study the nozzles and what each can be used for based on the info manual. There are two types of pumps used in the electric ones. I just wanted one for work long enough for one good cleaning. The hose has to be connected first. The pump turns on and then turns off as soon as it builds up pressure. Very easy to use.

Has a nozzle for concrete.

I suggest buying a deck cleaner and spray it on first. I had scrubbed deck with a deck brush and cleaner. I had scrubbed deck with TSP (the real stuff, not the eco-fake) and bleach and dish detergent.

But the pressure from even this washer did the trick much better on the wood deck.

Now I need to find a day when the wood has dried for several days and the sun's going to be out to cure the One Time Wood I use on my deck.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,650
    edited June 2020
    driver100 said:

O F, still no word on opening back up. The office across the street from our sub-division opened 2 weeks ago so was glad to see that. But my lead is still waiting to hear from his boss that we're back up & running. My optimism is wearing down a bit lately and am now setting my sites on July 1st as a more logical start-up date. Getting unemployment so might as well stay out until they really have work for us.
    My old Hertz store is calling in the few drivers left only a couple days a week. Honestly, I'd rather work my 3 days/week and if not, wait till that comes back. Am starting to enjoy being home...took about 6 weeks to finally get used to the whole thing. But fine with it now, or at least until the UI runs out.

As one of my required job searches I applied to Hertz. That would be ironic if they called before Enterprise did.
    What about a job driving school buses? ;)
    No go, I gave up my commercial license when I renewed in 2018. Too expensive to maintain independently.

Enterprise really spoiled me, I don’t want most of the jobs that are available now. Maybe I could go back to being a social worker.😬

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

driver100 said:

O F, still no word on opening back up. The office across the street from our sub-division opened 2 weeks ago so was glad to see that. But my lead is still waiting to hear from his boss that we're back up & running. My optimism is wearing down a bit lately and am now setting my sites on July 1st as a more logical start-up date. Getting unemployment so might as well stay out until they really have work for us.
    My old Hertz store is calling in the few drivers left only a couple days a week. Honestly, I'd rather work my 3 days/week and if not, wait till that comes back. Am starting to enjoy being home...took about 6 weeks to finally get used to the whole thing. But fine with it now, or at least until the UI runs out.

As one of my required job searches I applied to Hertz. That would be ironic if they called before Enterprise did.
    No go, I gave up my commercial license when I renewed in 2018. Too expensive to maintain independently.
    If they are short on drivers....negotiate for them to pay for it. Or, do you have to go through the testing again?

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,308
    @driver100,
    I have a fairly low power electric power washer.
    The plug has a built in circuit breaker.
    Here is a picture of my ramp that was about 20 years old and had never been cleaned.
    The lower 2 courses are in 'before' condition.

2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Thanks imid....good information.
    Here is my Plan A. First, we gave this new kid a chance, his price seems high. At least $500, probably more to do the front and back. I figure if the kid can get 100 suckers clients and make $500 per client he could make $50000 a year working 6 months....bright kid, great business model.

Second idea is to contact a retired handyman who does amazing work and only charges about $10 an hour.....doesn't need the money, likes to do it to keep busy. I know it will be reasonable and he will do an excellent job.

If that doesn't work, I buy my own, and I'll have it to use for a few years.

@driver100,
    I have a fairly low power electric power washer.
    The plug has a built in circuit breaker.
    Here is a picture of my ramp that was about 20 years old and had never been cleaned.
    The lower 2 courses are in 'before' condition.

Sounds great! Any idea on the power level? Our deck just needs a going over, patio stones and bricks on front walkway aren't too bad, just need a brightening.
    Here are two models at Rona Canada, a Bosch 1700 PSI $199 4.8 stars
    https://www.rona.ca/en/bosch-electric-high-pressure-washer-154-gpm-green-330658625

Karcher $203 1700 PSI, $203 4.4 stars

https://www.rona.ca/en/karcher-pressure-washer-electric-1700-psi-60415001
    I like the looks of the Karcher, seems more substantial and car like. Like the idea of the wheels.
    Any thoughts?
    This is almost as much fun as choosing a car.

edited June 2020
    driver100 said:

driver100 said:

If they are short on drivers....negotiate for them to pay for it. Or, do you have to go through the testing again?
    Any school will give you paid (minimum wage) training but you’d have to take all the certification and road tests again. Plus I’d have to pass the physical exam and I ain’t a kid no more.😢

That’s assuming there will even be school buses any longer. Under the current social distancing rules my old 72 passenger bus would be limited to 11 students.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,085
    I have a cheap electric power washer I bought many years ago at Zellers ( @driver100 will know where I mean), all I remember is that it is yellow, can't recall the brand. It works fine for what I wanted from it. I used it 2 or 3 times to clean my deck which is made from pressure treated lumber. The deck boards have had a surprising amount of rot over the last 3 or 4 years (it was built in '05) which I blame on the power washing driving moisture deep into some of the boards. I would never power wash a wood deck more than once.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    tjc78 said:

jipster said:

I'm back!

After not being to get into these forums for probably two years I think I may have figured out the errors of my ways! Anyboday out there whe still remembers me? Everyone still alive? Everybody healthy?

They had told me you had taken your ball and "ridden off into the sunset". But, I knew you'd be back... once you heard I was a proud owner of a 2020 Honda Accord EX-L!!! So now you come back to say, "I told ya so."? :angry:

Would have driven out to Washington (?) and bought an Accord from you if you were still in the bizz. Of course, and no offense, but you would have been subjected to the "Jipst Method of New Car Buying"... which would have made your day. :smile:

Welcome back, and try not to lose that password again. ;-)

It's about time you decided to upgrade yourself! Enjoy! Those are beautiful cars.

No, I didn't get banned from Edmunds.

No, I didn't take my ball and leave. I got mad at nobody. I just couldn't get in and after trying many times I simply gave up. I do have a deep regret and that is I didn't get to say good bye to Mr. Shiftrighr. Have to say that he was my favorite and his encyclopedic knowledge of all things made his an irreplaceable asset to these forums. If any of you happen to talk to him please pass on my words of appreciation.
    I sent you a PM regarding this.
    If I can figure out how to retrieve a PM here I'll do it. I know how on Facebook.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,908
    Click your user name and then on the left should be a link for “inbox”

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,518
    Top right of the page, above “quick links”, 2 icons over from your little picture (below your screen name). The one that looks like an envelope. If that has a red number on it, you have mail. Just click on it to open up, and read/respond.

The globe next to it usually has a big number. Site notifications. Pretty useless

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

Any school will give you paid (minimum wage) training but you’d have to take all the certification and road tests again. Plus I’d have to pass the physical exam and I ain’t a kid no more.😢

That’s assuming there will even be school buses any longer. Under the current social distancing rules my old 72 passenger bus would be limited to 11 students.
    I thought it would be a hassle. Most driving businesses are struggling, airport limo, Uber, dealership etc. Maybe if you could combine your social work with driving. I once heard of a family therapist who met with businessmen at hotels. Seems, the businessman was away from home and his regular therapist, and needed a session. Plus, not much else to do when traveling on business. Great for the FT too, no need for an office, probably even get a dinner out of it.
    You could take business guys to and from the airport, dinner, etc., and help them with their problems........

• jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    driver100 said:

It's a slow morning around here so I need some advice about......I think this is a new topic............here it is..........power washers.
    Last year I cleaned the deck with a chemical wash that did a fairly good job. This year noticed the patio stones in the back are a bit grungy looking. Got a card out that a handyman guy left a few days ago. He comes on Friday at 4 p.m., checks it out says he will have an estimate the next day. Don't hear from him so Mrs D100 calls him at 4 and asks about the estimate...says he will email it. Now I don't know how many hours it takes to do an estimate....to me, I think you should be able to do it in 4 minutes. Anyway, Monday he emails the estimate. He doesn't mention the deck, so I don't know if he included that, but, for the patio which is about 20X20 ft and the walkway wich is maybe 30 ft long by 3 ft wide $250. For the front sidewalk which is about 30 yards long by 3 ft wide $300.

It seems I can buy a power washer for about $200 and it doesn't seem like it could be that hard. Before I do I'll get another estimate. My questions are;
    Will the power washer get the dirt and grunge off the deck?
    Is it fairly easy to use....that is idiot proof?
    What can go wrong?

What can go wrong...usually does. :disappointed:

But, too much psi on that wood deck can damage the wood. Don't cross the streams! And be careful with that high powered water nozzle, the force can cut a diamond 💎.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
    driver100 said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

I thought it would be a hassle. Most driving businesses are struggling, airport limo, Uber, dealership etc. Maybe if you could combine your social work with driving. I once heard of a family therapist who met with businessmen at hotels. Seems, the businessman was away from home and his regular therapist, and needed a session. Plus, not much else to do when traveling on business. Great for the FT too, no need for an office, probably even get a dinner out of it.
    You could take business guys to and from the airport, dinner, etc., and help them with their problems........
    Maybe make a movie out of it. Call it “pretty farmer”

stickguy said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

lol....guess I should have said "Business People".

This links to the one that looks like the one I have.

That is similar to the one I found at Rona, on sale for $203 CDN, on sale regularly $239. Same make,
    https://www.rona.ca/en/karcher-pressure-washer-electric-1700-psi-60415001
    Nice yellow too!

jipster said:

driver100 said:

It's a slow morning around here so I need some advice about......I think this is a new topic............here it is..........power washers.
    Last year I cleaned the deck with a chemical wash that did a fairly good job. This year noticed the patio stones in the back are a bit grungy looking. Got a card out that a handyman guy left a few days ago. He comes on Friday at 4 p.m., checks it out says he will have an estimate the next day. Don't hear from him so Mrs D100 calls him at 4 and asks about the estimate...says he will email it. Now I don't know how many hours it takes to do an estimate....to me, I think you should be able to do it in 4 minutes. Anyway, Monday he emails the estimate. He doesn't mention the deck, so I don't know if he included that, but, for the patio which is about 20X20 ft and the walkway wich is maybe 30 ft long by 3 ft wide $250. For the front sidewalk which is about 30 yards long by 3 ft wide $300.

It seems I can buy a power washer for about $200 and it doesn't seem like it could be that hard. Before I do I'll get another estimate. My questions are;
    Will the power washer get the dirt and grunge off the deck?
    Is it fairly easy to use....that is idiot proof?
    What can go wrong?

What can go wrong...usually does. :disappointed:

But, too much psi on that wood deck can damage the wood. Don't cross the streams! And be careful with that high powered water nozzle, the force can cut a diamond 💎.
    Good tips Jip...I was thinking I would do the deck using less power and using it more on a level angle....not straight down. I started getting that idea after reading abs comments. Ours is that Tex Mex material or whatever it is called.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,308
    The distance you hold the nozzle from the surface makes a big difference.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert

The distance you hold the nozzle from the surface makes a big difference.

Good point...decided to order it now while it is on sale. Mine will be a 1700 PSI model, yours is only a 1600 PSI model :p

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    edited June 2020
    driver100 said:

Here is my Plan A. First, we gave this new kid a chance, his price seems high. At least $500, probably more to do the front and back. I figure if the kid can get 100 suckers clients and make $500 per client he could make $50000 a year working 6 months....bright kid, great business model.

Second idea is to contact a retired handyman who does amazing work and only charges about $10 an hour.....doesn't need the money, likes to do it to keep busy. I know it will be reasonable and he will do an excellent job.

I'd like the older guy option. Hopefully he has used a pressure washer. Maybe owns his own with various tips for various jobs. Or rents one for the day or days he needs one.

I tried different chemical treatments and different brushing. I even used a hand brush with good pressure. That made me decide to try a pressure washer.

I have deck treated with a preservative that is not a paint or stain. It goes into the wood fiber and then polymerizes there with the ultraviolet sun rays. It had been 7 years since deck was cleaned, washed, sprayed in any way.

price seems to have gone up since early spring...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-1-600-PSI-1-2-GPM-Electric-Pressure-Washer-RY141612/301004462

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

If you have Trex (Tex mex? Really?) it’s a lot harder to hurt that. Certainly with that machine.

stickguy said:

If you have Trex (Tex mex? Really?) it’s a lot harder to hurt that. Certainly with that machine.

Good to know....yes, Trex.

driver100 said:

I'd like the older guy option. Hopefully he has used a pressure washer. Maybe owns his own with various tips for various jobs. Or rents one for the day or days he needs one.
    That would be my first choice too but I want to get this particular washer while it is still on sale, and if he does come he can use this washer....and I will have it around for other things and hopefully for many more years.
    Can they be used for washing a car?

edited June 2020

• houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    edited June 2020

houdini1 said:

houdini1 said:

I'm back!

After not being to get into these forums for probably two years I think I may have figured out the errors of my ways! Anyboday out there whe still remembers me? Everyone still alive? Everybody healthy?

Welcome back.
    Thanks, Snake! Good to see you're still here along with other friends. I'll try not to lose my identity this time.
    Welcome back snake !! I made it back about a year ago !!
    Edit: Sorry, I meant isell !!
    Gosh darn it (he says in his best Gabby Hayes voice), I thought I was being welcomed back after being gone for a few hours. Now I see how I rate here. B)
    I would miss you snake if you left, and that is the truth. Gabby Hayes never said gosh darn, it was dag nabbit !

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,545
    stickguy said:

Leave the poor guy alone. He knows what he means. As soon as he gets it clean we’re all invited over for a taco and burrito fest. B)

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,085
    driver100 said:

Ours is that Tex Mex material or whatever it is called.

Is it covered in a layer of delicious but messy bubbling melted Monterey Jack cheese? If so I can understand the need for the power wash. :laughing:

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

stickguy said:

Yes. Get a foam cannon to attach to it.

Cool....it will be worth it just for doing the wheels.

jmonroe1 said:

stickguy said:

Leave the poor guy alone. He knows what he means. As soon as he gets it clean we’re all invited over for a taco and burrito fest. B) jmonroe
    Like I say, I am not a detail guy, more of the big picture kinda guy! :)

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,545
    driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

stickguy said:

Leave the poor guy alone. He knows what he means. As soon as he gets it clean we’re all invited over for a taco and burrito fest. B) jmonroe

Probably picked that up from the books you peddled. ;)

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    driver100 said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

Lol, that’s quite the ambitious business model but remember, I’m retired. I don’t have to work that hard any more. That’s what I like about my current position. Have fun all day driving cars and joking with my buddies. No boss looking over your shoulder and if you don’t feel like working you just say “I’m leaving town for a few months, I’ll call you when I get back”.

stickguy said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

Sure, call it The Car Happy Hooker. B)

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349
    stickguy said:
    The Brits at BMW CAR really like the use of foam prior to conventional washing.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

stickguy said:

Probably picked that up from the books you peddled. ;)

jmonroe
    Fortunately, MrsD100 can do detail work, can do accounting, write letters, keep me from flying off the handle, and I could work on the vision! :p

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,388
    I so love the foam cannon.

@roadburner - do they suggest a rinse and then foam, or foam first? My experience so far is that rinse-foam-conventional hand wash is working great - the foam really loosens the dirt up and makes the wash mit glide across.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI

driver100 said:

Got the best of both worlds. Ordered the nice yellow Karcher model from Rona, and the "Retired Guy" will come and do it for us in June. Probably got the washer and someone to do it for half of what the young guy will charge.

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

Lol, that’s quite the ambitious business model but remember, I’m retired. I don’t have to work that hard any more. That’s what I like about my current position. Have fun all day driving cars and joking with my buddies. No boss looking over your shoulder and if you don’t feel like working you just say “I’m leaving town for a few months, I’ll call you when I get back”.
    I know what you mean O-F, I couldn't do work any more if my life depended on it.

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    ab348 said:

Our anti-car city council and planning dept tag-teamed using the COVID situation as an excuse to spring a surprise on citizens this week:

https://www.thechronicleherald.ca/news/local/hrm-takes-steps-to-slow-things-down-on-designated-streets-455785/

These “safe streets” or “slow streets” (the city has no legal authority to set speed limits so the latter is a misnomer) were sprung on us with no advance notice or consultations. I live on one of these streets and am quite irritated at it all. It makes no sense as described - supposedly someone can now walk down the middle of the street amidst vehicles, good luck with that - and I dislike excluding people from outside the area from driving on my street. And as the article notes, the only enforcement will be from people reporting miscreants, nice. Lunacy reigns.

Those terms are code word for Vision Zero lunatics which I like to dub Zero Vision people. Their ultimate goal is to get speed limits down to 0 MPH, so no one ever dies from a car, and at the same time, it'll effectively ban the automobile, without actually banning it.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349

I so love the foam cannon.

@roadburner - do they suggest a rinse and then foam, or foam first? My experience so far is that rinse-foam-conventional hand wash is working great - the foam really loosens the dirt up and makes the wash mit glide across.

I think that the procedure you described is correct.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,143
    Of course, those banning it will still be entitled to their own private transport, or a cradle to grave bennie-loaded position where they can "work" from home for life. I suspect it is rare indeed that any who implement these policies ever have to live with the negative side-effects.
    andres3 said:

Those terms are code word for Vision Zero lunatics which I like to dub Zero Vision people. Their ultimate goal is to get speed limits down to 0 MPH, so no one ever dies from a car, and at the same time, it'll effectively ban the automobile, without actually banning it.

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    houdini1 said:

houdini1 said:

houdini1 said:

I'm back!

Welcome back.
    Thanks, Snake! Good to see you're still here along with other friends. I'll try not to lose my identity this time.
    Welcome back snake !! I made it back about a year ago !!
    Edit: Sorry, I meant isell !!
    Gosh darn it (he says in his best Gabby Hayes voice), I thought I was being welcomed back after being gone for a few hours. Now I see how I rate here. B)
    I would miss you snake if you left, and that is the truth. Gabby Hayes never said gosh darn, it was dag nabbit !
    Dagnabbit.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    fintail said:

I suspect it is rare indeed that any who implement these policies ever have to live with the negative side-effects.

This is most certainly true and goes a long way toward explaining many of the patently ridiculous things that have made it into law.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    edited June 2020
    I owe GEICO an apology! I ridiculed them about a week or so ago here on Edmunds for giving me a 15% rate reduction as part of their program to reduce rates due to the coronavirus pandemic and then raising my rates 15%. I WAS INCORRECT!!!

I am on autopay with them and my payments are charged to my credit card on the 30th of every month. When I got the new car on May 4th, it reduced my payments from $202 a month to about $170 a month. There was a payment due on May 30th of $157 which was a prorated amount which caused a reduction in premiums for the new car. They never charged me that $157 on May 30th so I called them to find out why. They said that they credited that amount due to the 15% reduction in premiums for the coronavirus. So I did, in fact, get that full credit.

My new policy which takes effect on June 30th will be $170 a month. That's a $32.00 monthly savings over my previous policy due to the fact that the new car is significantly less expensive to repair than the S450.

Bottom line is that I got my cake and ate it too! Thanks GEICO! 🤓

2021 Genesis G90

omarman said:

"Rharghrerht!"

What the..........?

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Interestingly, I just read Acura is going to have an MDX Type-S for the 2022 model year.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring