Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    stickguy said:

That’s like 18 down, 6 hour nap, 18 back. Was this delivering cars, or just felt like a drive?

Delivering a car for some crazy reason. He got yelled at for doing it so fast.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,516
    should truck them if they have to move that far. But not my cars!

Driver, I was pretty good for up to about 8 hour trip straight through (just potty and gas stops). Much more and I started to drag. I think 10 would be about max, especially these days (not getting any younger here sadly). 12 might make me loopy (or maybe would just get in the zone and keep on keeping on?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• jwm40517jwm40517 Member Posts: 285
    I still have a 2007 Mercury GM that I bought from estate of original owner a little over 4 years ago. It had 68k then and 107K now. One to three trips of 300 miles total each month and sits rest of time.. Comfortable and gets 24 MPG at 78-80MPH
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    tjc78 said:

I’ve been caught in construction delays at 2:00 in the morning so traffic can happen at any time.

True, but wasn't that in LA? LA's the only place I've been stuck in traffic during those hours.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    it happens around Philly too. They sometimes have to shut down all of major highways for work (or maybe leave 1 lane each way) overnight. So even with lower traffic, it can mess things up bad. especially when they shut down entirely.

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    stickguy said:

it happens around Philly too. They sometimes have to shut down all of major highways for work (or maybe leave 1 lane each way) overnight. So even with lower traffic, it can mess things up bad. especially when they shut down entirely.

Sounds like Bridge-Gate to me.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,976
    stickguy said:

Driver, I was pretty good for up to about 8 hour trip straight through (just potty and gas stops). Much more and I started to drag. I think 10 would be about max, especially these days (not getting any younger here sadly). 12 might make me loopy (or maybe would just get in the zone and keep on keeping on?

I would say the same stick...if I had to drive it these days I would do the 1400 miles - 22 hours of driving time - which with delays is going to be more like 25 hours, as 8 max in a day, 8+8+6+3 or 4 hours, and take 3 nights.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

well, they do it for construction not political payback.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349
    I drove a B7 press loaner from Fort Worth to Louisville in one day; it was amazing how comfortable it was- especially in light of its handling prowess.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    Denver to St Louis in February was 11.5 hours of total time. That was plenty for me. Two stops for fuel, and one for lunch.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

@ graphicguy- I took a closer look at that Indigo Edition Stinger. Since 100% of the torque can be sent to the LSD equipped rear axle I can put tolerate the AWD. What I really don't like is the brown steering wheel; it gives me flashbacks of those GM interiors that looked like everything had been spray painted the same color- seats, carpets, dash, steering wheel, signal stalks, etc.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

driver100 said:

stickguy said:

I would say the same stick...if I had to drive it these days I would do the 1400 miles - 22 hours of driving time - which with delays is going to be more like 25 hours, as 8 max in a day, 8+8+6+3 or 4 hours, and take 3 nights.
    no way I am doing 4 days. not worth it. 2 most likely and just suck it up, 2 nights stay over max.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,016
    edited June 2020
    Longest day we had when a buddy and I drove cross country was from Childress, TX to Phoenix. Almost 900 miles and 15 hours - this during the time of the 55MPH speed limit.

From my house to my hometown in California is just under 1100 miles - roughly 17 hours. Where I stop for the night depends on what time of day I get started.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    Back in 1999, I drove from Chatsworth California (Northern LA) to Hazleton, PA, With just 2 stops at motels.

First leg was Chatsworth to 90 miles west of Denver. Second leg was to Joliet, Illinois. Then, straight to Hazleton, PA. - 2696 miles - long trip.

Today, a trip up to my brother's place in Ponte Vedra FL (300 miles) is close to my limit.

2021 Genesis G90

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,016
    abacomike said:

Back in 1999, I drove from Chatsworth California (Northern LA) to Hazleton, PA, With just 2 stops at motels.

First leg was Chatsworth to 90 miles west of Denver. Second leg was to Joliet, Illinois. Then, straight to Hazleton, PA. - 2696 miles - long trip.

Today, a trip up to my brother's place in Ponte Vedra FL (300 miles) is close to my limit.

Iron man!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    andres3 said:

tjc78 said:

I’ve been caught in construction delays at 2:00 in the morning so traffic can happen at any time.

True, but wasn't that in LA? LA's the only place I've been stuck in traffic during those hours.
    I have had that here in Chicago, heavy traffic 1 or 2 in the morning. Sometimes it happens without construction.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    Michaell said:

Longest day we had when a buddy and I drove cross country was from Childress, TX to Phoenix. Almost 900 miles and 15 hours - this during the time of the 55MPH speed limit.

From my house to my hometown in California is just under 1100 miles - roughly 17 hours. Where I stop for the night depends on what time of day I get started.

My longest day is Chicago to Orlando, from our house to the kids house is 1200 miles give or take depending on the route taken between Chicago and Nashville. Have done it straight through on a number of occasions. but lately breaking it up into two days.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147

I think being a "mature" driver and being insured may make a difference. He said he had bids for about the same dollar amount to transport his car. I figure one, maybe 2 overnights for the round trip. A couple of Starbucks and a couple of Panera "pick 2" lunches would be the extent of my trip requirements.

Was kind of hoping I'd get a Lambo, a Dino or an Audi R8, maybe even a Mustang KR as my first transport. Alas, it's a Merc. LOL!

Hey. It could have been a leSabre or Park Avenue.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Some people drive long distances and share the driving with their partner. Mrs D100 would drive, but prefers not to drive on the highway, and I prefer always driving. But, sharing the driving could make an extra hour or two a day possible.

Ever drive for 3 hours and then try walking to get a coffee or food, and you feel about 97 years old as your back is hunched over and your feet can hardly move. I used to drive 12 or 15 hours a day, but that was when I was young and foolish.

really good seats help!

we are the same way. The wife would drive if I asked her to, but has no desire. She would rather nap. Plus, I am a lousy passenger. so the only way she takes a shift is if I am literally starting to doze off and I ask out. That of course keeps me wide awake! So normally, like on all out 8 hour trips to NC when the kid was in college, I drove the whole way (and when moving her out with her car, by myself since the girls traveled together).

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    edited June 2020
    Having flown from LAX to TPE non-stop (14+ hours) and driven from mid-Saskatchewan home to the lower mainland in B.C. uninterrupted (right at 1000 miles), it's clear that I can tolerate sitting down and going somewhere better than most people -- doesn't make me better, just makes me different.

This is much of why I think people who actually drive places, preferably far away, are my kind of people.

Go figure.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,306
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    now that is nuts

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,906
    @andres3 @stickguy
    It’s happened to me in LA, NY, Philly and Houston

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    edited June 2020
    He’s right about a GT not going faster than 159mph. They’re electronically limited to 155. He must have rented it from Hertz. I’ve never seen a GT Mustang at Enterprise. Maybe they have them available down Sandy’s way. Oh wait, I’m looking at the picture in the story and he looks to be standing in front of an Avis-Budget booth.

As far as buying that car, at least the motor wouldn’t be carboned up. It would be fun to see a tear down to see how well it tolerated that abuse.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,935
    I wonder how an extra ton of fuel sloshing around would affect handling and responsiveness in an emergency maneuver at 120 mph.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

It should be illegal to try and go across the country in record breaking time...just by definition you have to speed and the cars safety features are jeopardized....extra fuel....plus, not enough bathroom stops!

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,306
    @oldfarmer50,
    The picture was taken in front of the Red Ball Garage, the traditional place to start a Connonball Run.
    The rental office was probably coincidence.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    driver100 said:

It should be illegal to try and go across the country in record breaking time...just by definition you have to speed and the cars safety features are jeopardized....extra fuel....plus, not enough bathroom stops!

It IS illegal.
    I'd still like to take a shot at it.

driver100 said:

he had extra powerade bottles so that part was covered. Definitely broke every speed limit though.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    And did he keep those Gatorade bottles in the car after he refilled them? Or did he throw them out the window. Littering?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

the article did not specify. Probably whatever all the truckers do that use the same system.

• tommister2tommister2 Member Posts: 393
    venture said:

@roadburner

Got the Cub Cadet today. I messed with it a little. It didn't arrive until late in the day. I'll put it thru it's paces tomorrow.

It's really yellow.

I’ve had a fuel injected Cub Cadet for 2 years now, been really happy with it.
    2011 Toyota Camry, 2014 Jeep Wrangler, 2017 Honda Civic Coupe, 2019 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XSE, 2021 Toyota Tundra, 2022 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Tesla Model 3
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    driver100 said:

He’s leaving the Merc down there to use whenever he or his wife stay there. At least I’ll be comfy.
    He offered me $750 plus expenses. I either have to find a ride to bring back with me, or fly back via Allegiant (which will cost about $75). It will be a nice adventure.

On top of all that, the Parks and Recreation dept in my ‘burg wants me on their Board. I think I’ll take them up on that....would be fun!

Nice gig GG, might start you on a new career path.
    Well...not going to get rich doing it, but it will be an interesting way to see the country (even in its present state) while picking up some pocket change.

Was going to leave today, but decided to hang here with my son for Father’s Day festivities.

Will pick up the car on Monday and hopefully be in MS late Monday night, or early Tuesday a.m.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

@ graphicguy- I took a closer look at that Indigo Edition Stinger. Since 100% of the torque can be sent to the LSD equipped rear axle I can put tolerate the AWD. What I really don't like is the brown steering wheel; it gives me flashbacks of those GM interiors that looked like everything had been spray painted the same color- seats, carpets, dash, steering wheel, signal stalks, etc.

I get it. You either like that sort of two-tone, or you don’t. I do like the exterior color. I don’t mind the interior, but would prefer red, of course.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • ventureventure Member Posts: 2,872

venture said:

@roadburner

Got the Cub Cadet today. I messed with it a little. It didn't arrive until late in the day. I'll put it thru it's paces tomorrow.

It's really yellow.

I’ve had a fuel injected Cub Cadet for 2 years now, been really happy with it.
    That's good to hear.

I traded a John Deere X300 on it so it has a tough act to follow.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,140
    1000 mile range, that's pretty remarkable ;)

Having flown from LAX to TPE non-stop (14+ hours) and driven from mid-Saskatchewan home to the lower mainland in B.C. uninterrupted (right at 1000 miles), it's clear that I can tolerate sitting down and going somewhere better than most people -- doesn't make me better, just makes me different.

This is much of why I think people who actually drive places, preferably far away, are my kind of people.

Go figure.

It's only illegal if you get caught.
    driver100 said:

fintail said:

It's only illegal if you get caught.

Well, no, it is always illegal. You just don't get punished unless you get caught.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    R&T prefaced that Cannonball record claim with the word "allegedly." Google search reveals that Fred Ashmore has a track record of gaining publicity for taking on cross country challenges.

Recently he and his dad competed in “The Bandit Run” from Atlanta to Texarkana and back in a rented Mustang GT. Sounds familiar. He had some custom made Silver Bullet decals applied to the rental Mustang before the event which didn't go exactly as he planned.

After a rear tire blowout, Ashmore continued the run using a "dummy donut." Ashmore was quoted, "With 368 miles to go we were now running sustainable speeds on a dummy donut."

After finishing the run in Atlanta, Ashmore claimed that he removed the decals and returned the rental Mustang GT with no issues. "They never said a word and never even checked the mileage. A little less than 11,000 miles in 2-1/2 weeks."

A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
    It's a joke :)

Although I don't support such speed runs on public roads, I also believe being illegal doesn't necessarily make something wrong.
    qbrozen said:

Well, no, it is always illegal. You just don't get punished unless you get caught.

fintail said:

1000 mile range, that's pretty remarkable ;)

Go figure.

For a fuel tank or a bladder? :D

• dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165
    edited June 2020
    It is getting really frightening here in Tampa. 4000 new Covid cases in Florida in just one day, Tampa has one of the fastest growth. Basically, all that was gained by the sacrifice got squandered in just couple of weeks. The riots certainly didn't help, but it's more than that. Wait another couple of weeks and we get ICUs overwhelmed just like NY had in March and April.

Bunch of morons running around without masks, immune to any sense or knowledge. There is no more community, sense of responsibility for other people. No, it's all about me. Some idiot "conservative activist" not let onboard the plane calling bloody murder, somehow forgetting the roots of his "conservative movement" always telling us the "any business can refuse service to anyone", just short few years ago, not to mention 50s and 60s, if I recall. I guess as long as you refused your business to "certain" kind of people you were OK in his book, it's only if you refuse your business to "their" kind of people, now you're suddenly not OK, communist, fascist or whatever.

I have my mother stuck in my house for last four months, she is getting ready to get back home overseas in two weeks and the situation is deteriorating so rapidly, I'm getting really frightened for her and really pissed off. One more time I hear about the so-called encroachment on freedom for wearing a mask in close spaces, I'm going to snap. People still don't get it the mask is not to protect them, it's to protect rest of us, my mother included. Sorry for the rant, but it's really getting personal for me.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

do people question why they need to wear shoes or a shirt in public places? Basic sanitation and health. That's all masks are about, until they seem to have been politicized.

you are correct though, a lot of "you can't tell me to do things", unless of course, it is what you believe in and think should be able to tell other people to do.

yup. It is really common courtesy. Sadly it seems that is too much for some people to do.

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    edited June 2020
    dino001 said:

It is getting really frightening here in Tampa. 4000 new Covid cases in Florida in just one day, Tampa has one of the fastest growth. Basically, all that was gained by the sacrifice got squandered in just couple of weeks. The riots certainly didn't help, but it's more than that. Wait another couple of weeks and we get ICUs overwhelmed just like NY had in March and April.

Bunch of morons running around without masks, immune to any sense or knowledge. There is no more community, sense of responsibility for other people. No, it's all about me. Some idiot "conservative activist" not let onboard the plane calling bloody murder, somehow forgetting the roots of his "conservative movement" always telling us the "any business can refuse service to anyone", just short few years ago, not to mention 50s and 60s, if I recall. I guess as long as you refused your business to "certain" kind of people you were OK in his book, it's only if you refuse your business to "their" kind of people, now you're suddenly not OK, communist, fascist or whatever.

I have my mother stuck in my house for last four months, she is getting ready to get back home overseas in two weeks and the situation is deteriorating so rapidly, I'm getting really frightened for her and really pissed off. One more time I hear about the so-called encroachment on freedom for wearing a mask in close spaces, I'm going to snap. People still don't get it the mask is not to protect them, it's to protect rest of us, my mother included. Sorry for the rant, but it's really getting personal for me.

Cut out the political stuff, Dino! You know better than that. Mods are going to shut down this site if you continue.😫

I understand and empathize with your situation with your mom. 🤓

2021 Genesis G90

• dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165
    I didn’t make it political, those who refuse to recognize the data did. There can be honest disagreements on the lockdown vs. economy, but how do you get from there to wearing or not wearing mask as a political statement, only really in America.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

edited June 2020
    fintail said:

It's a joke :)

Although I don't support such speed runs on public roads, I also believe being illegal doesn't necessarily make something wrong.

qbrozen said:

I know you were being facetious. Just figured I’d head off the pile-on. ;)

Wrong vs illegal is always an interesting concept. Probably why they started the whole measuring of crimes language (misdemeanor, etc). Probably should have labeled them “$,” “$$,” “$$$,” and so on. The more $, the “more wrong.”