Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Real-World Trade-In Values

Comments

• steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    >> Having 2 leases in the house when you aren't driving

Amateur ;) ... we entered this pandemic doozy with FIVE cars, including one lease. Three drivers, who pretty much ain't driving.
    Thankfully I gave the leased Cruze back with the miles full up -- but a few months left -- just before the virus hit.

And then I sold my winter beater on the first day of the statewide shutdown. Put the money in an envelope and chucked it in a drawer for a week.. sterile enough. That was a record, though. Posted at noon on a Friday, gone four hours later. There is a market for $1,000 cars, even miled-up ones with soft suspensions, if they're clean otherwise.

Now we have three cars and need one, rarely two. Oh well.
    On the upside, I have over 200 miles of biking for the season. Good year for it ;)
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,507
    tjc78 said:

Having 2 leases in the house when you aren't driving does not make sense.

Tell me about it....

can I get the password to get into the club?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,930
    steine13 said:

>> Having 2 leases in the house when you aren't driving

Amateur ;) ... we entered this pandemic doozy with FIVE cars, including one lease. Three drivers, who pretty much ain't driving.
    Thankfully I gave the leased Cruze back with the miles full up -- but a few months left -- just before the virus hit.

And then I sold my winter beater on the first day of the statewide shutdown. Put the money in an envelope and chucked it in a drawer for a week.. sterile enough. That was a record, though. Posted at noon on a Friday, gone four hours later. There is a market for $1,000 cars, even miled-up ones with soft suspensions, if they're clean otherwise.

Now we have three cars and need one, rarely two. Oh well.
    On the upside, I have over 200 miles of biking for the season. Good year for it ;)

I only said 2 leases. When this started, I had 7 cars for 2 drivers. Now have 5 with 1 on the way out and another on the way in. 1 car currently inoperable, though. Owning during this isn’t an issue, IMHO.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

ioniq is still in your driveway?

stickguy said:

ioniq is still in your driveway?

No.
    My dad’s old F250. Never put in my sig because it is technically still in his name, although I am the executor. But I do drive it. Probably put about 100 miles or so on it. Took it to starbucks yesterday. Lol

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Ah yeah. Forgot about that one.

• squirreljamsquirreljam Member Posts: 71
    edited June 2020
    Hey Q, since you're at least getting some info on mass market stuff, what about auction and a fair dealer price on a 2011 GMC Terrain SLE, 2wd / 4cyl, 83 k, clean-plus condition?

thanks much,
    squirrel

Hey Q, since you're at least getting some info on mass market stuff, what about auction and a fair dealer price on a 2011 GMC Terrain SLE, 2wd / 4cyl, 83 k, clean-plus condition?

thanks much,
    squirrel

Mid $5ks at auction. So $7500-$8k retail should do it, depending on condition and needs, of course.

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,967
    Stick, they call me "Stick" at work because I walk with my cane, guess these old guys equate a cane with a stick? What an I tell ya.
    But you kinda hit the nail on the head there about what you said. A this point, the only requirement I need to worry about is the size of the vehicle, so it'll fit on my side of the garage. Refuse to get something new just to park it outside 24/7 when I have a garage to use. The amount of miles I drive now is ridiculously minimal, whatever figures they are, who cares. It's hard to forget something that you've lived with for years. But going forward, all I should care about is fun. But I'd still like to maybe take advantage of this cheap financing and if I pay it all upfront or take a few years to do a 0% loan, shouldn't be an issue, just have to remember to pay the monthly bill on time. But that shouldn't be an issue unless I'm sick or incapacitated. And then, I can get the girls to write the check.
    Now, just need for all this rain to do it at night so I can get some sunny days to start my search.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

payments are easy. Just set up direct debit and they take it right out of your checking account.

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,259
    edited June 2020
    stickguy said:

payments are easy. Just set up direct debit and they take it right out of your checking account.

Yup. I'm always amazed at people who are decently well off but refuse to do autopay, especially on low-budget stuff like the water bill, and give the excuse that they don't know whether there will be money to pay it. Do they only keep $0.71 in their checking account?
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,384
    I setup autopay for things that I know will be roughly the same each month. For credit I don’t because I want time to review the statement.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
    same. If there is ever a problem with a charge, I want to know it before the money is gone. Standard stuff like car payment and mortgage, that is going on autopay.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,900
    I have a handful of things on autopay. Probably should have more.

My mom of all people has everything lined up on the bank’s bill pay system. Once a month quick review and she schedules it all with a few clicks.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,681
    While almost everything is paid on-line, I don't have many automatic payments set-up. Car payments are automatic.

I don't want to get the $8000 water bill I didn't notice, and all of my other checks start bouncing. :s

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

that's why we don't do it. The wife does pay everything through the bank app. Bills don't go to them, but all the normal stuff is set up there, so she just goes in, fills in the amount, and hist submit. Pretty simple.

We don't do anything auto pay at this time though I do my personal banking online. She either calls in to pay most bills or we send some through the mail. Like the rest of y'all, I don't want a big bill going through auto pay and then bouncing everything else down the line. Not giving over that much control with our money to any bank or computer.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• whitesoxwhitesox Member Posts: 5
    Looking at a 2011 Lincoln MKT that ran through the auction last month (5/18) coming out of NY. It has the 3.5L AWD W/ECOBOOST. Car has 85K and the dealer is asking $12K. What do you think they paid and what would be a good price to end at? Apologize if this fits in a different forum. Looking to get a less expensive (and not entirely boring) family truckster that will mostly sit in the garage until quarantine lifts....
    edited June 2020
    whitesox said:

Looking at a 2011 Lincoln MKT that ran through the auction last month (5/18) coming out of NY. It has the 3.5L AWD W/ECOBOOST. Car has 85K and the dealer is asking $12K. What do you think they paid and what would be a good price to end at? Apologize if this fits in a different forum. Looking to get a less expensive (and not entirely boring) family truckster that will mostly sit in the garage until quarantine lifts....

What color? There was a burgundy in NE PA end of May that got $7900. Rated as excellent condition. So $10.5k-$11k is reasonable, depending on any current needs.

Thanks Q - that is the one. Although they officially list it as Bordeaux Reserve Red Metallic....like a fine wine I'm sure.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,786
    The MKT is a uniquely designed car, that's for sure! However, the "Bordeau Reserve" is a gorgeous color on it. This car is the "non-boxy version" of the Flex... or at least looks that way. Seems like a decent machine for that kind of money!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Yep, it isn't my first choice in style - or my 5th, but it seems to hit on value proposition. Room for all 4 kids without buying a second minivan or a mile'd up overpriced suburban. Will be interesting to see how it drives. I'm prepared to channel my inner chauffeur or grandpa style if necessary. Not my phase in life to look at the many manual coupes I would much prefer....
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,298
    @whitesox,
    Ecoboost(twin turbos) makes that MKT pretty quick.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    whitesox said:

Yep, it isn't my first choice in style - or my 5th, but it seems to hit on value proposition. Room for all 4 kids without buying a second minivan or a mile'd up overpriced suburban. Will be interesting to see how it drives. I'm prepared to channel my inner chauffeur or grandpa style if necessary. Not my phase in life to look at the many manual coupes I would much prefer....

If it is anything like the Flex, they drive big, but sure-footed. I was impressed in my short time behind the wheel of a Flex Ecoboost. Incredibly comfortable as well.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • dillydilldillydill Member Posts: 111
    Curious about this thoughts on this one that's certified at Lexus dealer in MA.

2015 Lexus ES300h CPO
    67,855 MILES
    SATIN CASHMERE METALLIC exterior- looks like Gold
    PARCHMENT interior -looks Tan
    LUXURY PACKAGE W/BAMBOO TRIM

VIN:JTHBW1GG2F2091302

$17,463*
  • ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,194
    xwesx said:

If it is anything like the Flex, they drive big, but sure-footed. I was impressed in my short time behind the wheel of a Flex Ecoboost. Incredibly comfortable as well.

Does Ford make anything that doesn't drive "big?" The Explorer definitely drives big, and I think the Edge drives bigger than some 3-row SUVs. (or at least bigger than the Sorento)
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
    dillydill said:

2015 Lexus ES300h CPO
    67,855 MILES

$17,463*

somewhere in the 15s at auction if in good condition, which it should be if CPO. So if that $17.5k is the asking price, that is very very good.

• dillydilldillydill Member Posts: 111
    Thank you Q!
    ronsteve said:

xwesx said:

Does Ford make anything that doesn't drive "big?" The Explorer definitely drives big, and I think the Edge drives bigger than some 3-row SUVs. (or at least bigger than the Sorento)
    Maybe I didn't use the right term for that. I just meant that the seats and space around the driver don't let them forget that it is a very large vehicle. In contrast, my Fiesta was more of a go-cart in the way the seat and driving position hugged me. Generally, I have never had any issues with the way the brand steers and handles. GM is the king of that department, though their recent offerings seem to be getting more on board with the idea that providing feedback to the driver is not a bad thing!
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,345
    edited June 2020
    ronsteve said:

Five years ago a friend wanted me to go with him when he went to buy a new Explorer; he bought one and wanted me to drive it home. It was a nice sled for what it was, but it was also close to ten billionth on my list of cars I'd like to own.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• robbiegrobbieg Member Posts: 346
    qbrozen said:

dillydill said:

2015 Lexus ES300h CPO
    67,855 MILES

$17,463*

somewhere in the 15s at auction if in good condition, which it should be if CPO. So if that $17.5k is the asking price, that is very very good.
    qbrozen said:

dillydill said:

2015 Lexus ES300h CPO
    67,855 MILES

$17,463*

Q - Out of curiosity, how does the hybrid affect the value of the ES?

robbieg said:

qbrozen said:

dillydill said:

2015 Lexus ES300h CPO
    67,855 MILES

$17,463*

qbrozen said:

dillydill said:

2015 Lexus ES300h CPO
    67,855 MILES

$17,463*

Q - Out of curiosity, how does the hybrid affect the value of the ES?

Nope. ES300H and the ES350 come back with exactly the same value.

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I just don't get people who go nuts over hybrids. They cost more upfront, they don't get THAT much better mileage, they are more complex and trouble prone. The expensive battery packs WILL fail eventually and resale values aren't any better. On a high mile older hybrid the cost of a replacement battery pack will often exceed the value of the car thus totaling it. I heard a lot of the Prius taxis simple run around on gasoline only just for that reason.
    Sometimes, they offer better performance (either on paper with absolute numbers, or in the real world, by providing added oomph in normal driving conditions), but in the case of the ES, I don’t think you gain either, since you’re swapping a V6 for a four cylinder hybrid setup which makes much less power.
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729

I just don't get people who go nuts over hybrids. They cost more upfront, they don't get THAT much better mileage, they are more complex and trouble prone. The expensive battery packs WILL fail eventually and resale values aren't any better. On a high mile older hybrid the cost of a replacement battery pack will often exceed the value of the car thus totaling it. I heard a lot of the Prius taxis simple run around on gasoline only just for that reason.

As @corvette pointed out, in the ES350 vs. 300h the gas mileage makes a HUGE difference, as the V6 is a powerful engine, and the 300h a tiny little 4-banger. So it's not close on that example, which is why my parents bought the 300h after owning an almost 20 year old ES300 that was flawless.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    kyfdx said:

While almost everything is paid on-line, I don't have many automatic payments set-up. Car payments are automatic.

I don't want to get the $8000 water bill I didn't notice, and all of my other checks start bouncing. :s

How many times has that actually happened?
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    andres3 said:

kyfdx said:

I get a notice before the money is deducted, and also track my balance on Quicken. Have never had an issue.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,900
    edited July 2020
    andres3 said:

kyfdx said:

That’s one of those “an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure”. Miss an email statement and bang your checking account is gone! Even worse if you have overdraft and it nails your savings or other accounts too!

A buddy of mine had it happen twice on his gas bill. Not $8000 but four digits on what should be $100-$200

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    >> Not $8000 but four digits on what should be $100-$200

The thing with computers is, they make very few mistakes... but when there IS a mistake, it's as likely off by a penny as by thousands of dollars.

For the same reason I don't ever use debit cards. The protection is the same as for credit cards, but the first thing that happens is MY account is empty and MY checks bounce... I have some bills on my credit card, and if they go to $10,000 it's THEIR money that's gone and no collateral issues for me while we work it out.

I prefer playing defense over offense in money matters.
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,384
    I have two things that auto-debit from my checking: Mortgage and Car Payments. Everything else goes to my credit card, for exactly the same reason as @steine13. I want to have a grace period to dispute something that looks fishy. And it has happened to us before.

I also want the credit card points, or rather, I used to want the credit card points pre-covid.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
    Same here. Mortgage and cars, that’s it.

And the only time I ever use my debit card is at the banks ATM.

Carry a debit card but never use it. Pay most things by c c and like getting the cash back monthly. No major monthly bills except the cell phone/power/water/cable & internet/lawn guy/Target if we even go that month. So, very easy for the wife to either write a heck or drop off the payment while out in town. Hardly ever use cash though do carry a small amount just in case...the couple of c c I use makes my personal book keeping easy and at the end of each month, pay the balance after going through each receipt with the monthly bill. Could probably just do it all with the computer but, I check each charge slip off on the statement and then only keep the corrected statement just in case.
    Just the two of us here now and since we live under our means, no drama really. Trying to agree to eat out more only because the other half likes to, I just hate getting mediocre food and paying a high price for it thus, prefer eating at home. But really trying to force myself to eat out as sometimes, it is just easier. And since I just do simple baking/broiling, not the world's best cook here.

• chuckster12chuckster12 Member Posts: 25
    Good afternoon - I'm shopping several Ram 2500 former rental units dealer purchased at auction - no pricing on dealer website on the first two - third one is listed at $44k. All 2019 units
    1.VIN: 3C6UR5DJ3KG699654
    2.VIN: 3C6UR5DJ6KG699468
    3.VIN: 3C6UR5DJ7KG696627

What would these go for at auction? Thanks in advance!

Chuck

Good afternoon - I'm shopping several Ram 2500 former rental units dealer purchased at auction - no pricing on dealer website on the first two - third one is listed at $44k. All 2019 units
    1.VIN: 3C6UR5DJ3KG699654
    2.VIN: 3C6UR5DJ6KG699468
    3.VIN: 3C6UR5DJ7KG696627

What would these go for at auction? Thanks in advance!

Chuck

So you’ve got 3k, 5k, and 6k miles, respectively. Oddly, they seem sensitive to miles. So about $42k, $41k, and $40k, respectively, for auction value. As long as none are a crazy color, that is.

Try for $3k over auction value on each. They seem to be plentiful.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,417
    Hey @qbrozen - can you tell me what you think of this truck's pricing. Asking for a friend (I swear, you know Chevys aren't my thing)

https://www.devanchevybuick.com/VehicleDetails/used-2014-Chevrolet-Silverado_1500-LTZ-Wilton-CT/4458762353

2014 Silverado LTZ
    4WD
    Black
    Automatic
    Fairfield County, CT
    3GCUKSEC8EG442232
    52K miles
    Looks to be in excellent shape inside/out (don't they all?)
    Used at a Chevy dealer - not GM CPO

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

edited July 2020
    That is very cheap. AUCTION value for a clean one with those miles would be $28k. One warning sign is that it has had 3 owners already. So he might want to get it checked out by someone other than that Chevy dealer.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,417
    qbrozen said:

That is very cheap. AUCTION value for a clean one with those miles would be $28k. One warning sign is that it has had 3 owners already. So he might want to get it checked out by someone other than that Chevy dealer.

carfax only says 2. unless I misread.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

nyccarguy said:

qbrozen said:

carfax only says 2. unless I misread.
    The reports are always conflicting. Autocheck says 3. Who the heck knows.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,298
    That truck has a regular service history at that selling dealer.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,194
    Can't figure out if the retail ask is $15600 or $16898, but is there any intel on how much he might have in this one?

https://jeffwylernissanoflouisville.com/used/Volvo/2013-Volvo-XC70-099ae28a0a0e0adf65b8851d760ed282.htm
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion