Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676

I’ve taken the approach of walking out of stores and restaurants where folks aren’t wearing masks. If staff don’t want to enforce what is now law up here, they must not need my business.

+1
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    abacomike said:

driver100 said:

My brother travels with a trailer...mostly from Calgary to Nevada, AZ, California areas, and wanted to update his GPS. BMW wanted $300.....another guy got his updated for $40 from a website he found. My brother got his updated for $40 too. He thinks the only thing missing is latest updates for points of interest - but BMW may not be up to date on that as well.

I looked at updating the GPS in the BMW, the dealer wanted something north of $100 (cant remember exactly how much), found several website with the updates and instructions on installation for around $40.
    My car's GPS updates automatically whenever a new map detail is added by Mercedes. It updates through Mercedes Me Connect. I happened to look up the number of updates downloaded to the computer in the last 2 months - there have been two updates so far. This way I don't have to take it to service or pay for the updates. They are included for as long as the APP is current.
    While the roads really haven't changed much around here I think that the data I have would suffice except that POI`s will be dated. Plus I seriously question addresses as it thinks my address is two blocks away. Will the update still think I live in the wrong house?

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Chevy wants you to pay for the updates. To me that’s ridiculous. Roads don’t change that much around here, and I could always check with Google Maps, which updates constantly for free, if I thought there might be a problem.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,490
    I only use the built in Navi when I just want a quick look at the map (such as when I know what road I want but not sure which one it is, or where it connects). If I actually need to navigate someplace I use Google maps. So the car updating is pretty pointless for me. Though it would be nice if they updated me for free. It might be over the air (at least in the RDX) but not sure if I have to go into the menus and initiate that. I would actually be fine if it was something that just happened when I went in for service, but I doubt it!

I'll have to re-read that (very long) section of the owners manual, or ask the service guy when it goes in for the first service (at the pace we are putting on miles, it will be next March on it's 1st birthday with maybe 5,000 miles on it!)

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,916
    As our house is only 3 years old, the nav system in our 5 year old Subaru thinks we live in a field. Since we don't go very far and know the address of pretty much everywhere we do go, the nav doesn't get used much.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• ventureventure Member Posts: 2,869
    ab348 said:

Thanks all. The fellow was a real craftsman, told me he’d been doing this kind of work for 43 years, starting when he was 15. His crew are his 4 grandsons. The only place he visibly mortared the stones was on the rounded corner. The rest is a sort of faux-stacked style I suppose, with the stones only mortared to each other in the back where it is invisible. Concrete footing, gravel in behind for drainage, tinted concrete cap. He was a joy to watch work. You wouldn’t believe the compliments I’m getting from both neighbors and random passersby.

I've been away for a few days, but want to say how nice that looks. When you posted the first picture it was hard to figure out. They do amazing work.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975

abacomike said:

driver100 said:

My brother travels with a trailer...mostly from Calgary to Nevada, AZ, California areas, and wanted to update his GPS. BMW wanted $300.....another guy got his updated for $40 from a website he found. My brother got his updated for $40 too. He thinks the only thing missing is latest updates for points of interest - but BMW may not be up to date on that as well.

I looked at updating the GPS in the BMW, the dealer wanted something north of $100 (cant remember exactly how much), found several website with the updates and instructions on installation for around $40.
    My car's GPS updates automatically whenever a new map detail is added by Mercedes. It updates through Mercedes Me Connect. I happened to look up the number of updates downloaded to the computer in the last 2 months - there have been two updates so far. This way I don't have to take it to service or pay for the updates. They are included for as long as the APP is current.
    While the roads really haven't changed much around here I think that the data I have would suffice except that POI`s will be dated. Plus I seriously question addresses as it thinks my address is two blocks away. Will the update still think I live in the wrong house?
    Similar. On google maps he street we are on has the name of a street one over. This hasn't changed in 12 years and I don't think there is a way to notify them.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    I know Acura wanted to update the GPS for a fee. Not worth it to me given CarPlay. Kia has a nifty app called UVO that you downloads POI, tells me where my car is parked, let’s me set a curfew, limit speed and put a fence around the area I deem the Stinger can go. I would imagine the map updates download through that app. Probably a good app if you have for a teen who drives your car. Or, if it’s ever stolen, you’ll be able to limit it’s speed, and where the car can go and where it’s located. Would make the job of finding, recovering and arresting the perps a whole lot easier if it’s ever stolen.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    GG What a great thing to have if you have teenagers, or if your car is stolen.
    I think if you can't remember where your car is parked....you got a major problem.
    Actually, it can happen especially the way they design some malls and airports etc. Guess you don't need an orange ball to put on your aerial any more....if you had an aerial.

just need a bright red car. so much easier to find in a parking lot, when you know you are in the right general area but can't figure out exactly where you left it.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,146
    edited June 2020
    Appliance talk.

Refrigerator had a circuit board failure 1.7 years ago. Last week my wife mentioned that the refrigerator seemed colder than it should be. I put the thermometer that records highs/lows for the day on the shelf instead of behind the insulin boxes in the door. Temps seemed erratic. but in the right range.

Then Saturday afternoon wife mentioned refrigerator seemed warm. Yup. Over 40. I suspect the flapper door that's opened and adjusted by a circuit to handle the temp by allowing more or less air from freezer blower into refrig. I had good air flow in the freezer from the circulation fan. But the flow through the flapper was minute.

Freezer Stayed at 0 deg. F. I took off the back panel later and the evaporator had some ice at bottom but consistent with the moisture on the refrigerator wall from the warmer humid air from opening the door.

When I checked the freezer coils I blew air through the opening and the flapper into the refrigerator using a hair blower on warm temps, in case it was frosted up and binding. Overnight everything has gone back to normal. Perfect temp control now. But I'm having a repairman come Wednesday to see if the flapper is a failure item. If so, warranty needs to replace it. We have 60 days of 2 kinds of insulin in the refrigerator. Lowes warranty was receptive to getting a service guy out, because if we lose insulin to warm temps, they pay for it for another 6 months of the 5 year warranty.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258

abacomike said:

driver100 said:

Maybe you really are living in the wrong house and the GPS is accurate!🤪😜🤓

2021 Genesis G90

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,637
    edited June 2020

abacomike said:

driver100 said:

Hopefully just the bill collectors. For what it’s worth Google had my house as being about 1/4 down the road.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

abacomike said:

driver100 said:

Hopefully just the bill collectors. For what it’s worth Google had my house as being about 1/4 down the road.
    Also good if you are getting served with an arrest warrant. ;)

Appliance talk.
    . We have 60 days of 2 kinds of insulin in the refrigerator. Lowes warranty was receptive to getting a service guy out, because if we lose insulin to warm temps, they pay for it for another 6 months of the 5 year warranty.

Lucky you are under warranty. With all that insulin you might want an extended warranty.

With the virus around we are getting groceries either delivered or we do a pickup where they load it into the trunk.
    But the freezer in our standard sized fridge is full to capacity. When we want to know what to eat for dinner I open the door and we make whatever happens to fall out :p

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,570

Appliance talk.

Refrigerator had a circuit board failure 1.7 years ago. Last week my wife mentioned that the refrigerator seemed colder than it should be. I put the thermometer that records highs/lows for the day on the shelf instead of behind the insulin boxes in the door. Temps seemed erratic. but in the right range.

Then Saturday afternoon wife mentioned refrigerator seemed warm. Yup. Over 40. I suspect the flapper door that's opened and adjusted by a circuit to handle the temp by allowing more or less air from freezer blower into refrig. I had good air flow in the freezer from the circulation fan. But the flow through the flapper was minute.

Freezer Stayed at 0 deg. F. I took off the back panel later and the evaporator had some ice at bottom but consistent with the moisture on the refrigerator wall from the warmer humid air from opening the door.

When I checked the freezer coils I blew air through the opening and the flapper into the refrigerator using a hair blower on warm temps, in case it was frosted up and binding. Overnight everything has gone back to normal. Perfect temp control now. But I'm having a repairman come Wednesday to see if the flapper is a failure item. If so, warranty needs to replace it. We have 60 days of 2 kinds of insulin in the refrigerator. Lowes warranty was receptive to getting a service guy out, because if we lose insulin to warm temps, they pay for it for another 6 months of the 5 year warranty.

Refrigerator tech told me this:
    Even though it appears that the Refrigerator coil is bad, it it almost always the freezer coil.
    He said his own repair guys often get it wrong. And, he was the "coil expert".

Take that for what it's worth.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

edited June 2020
    driver100 said:

abacomike said:

driver100 said:

Does that happen to you a lot? :p

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,075
    edited June 2020
    driver100 said:

With the virus around we are getting groceries either delivered or we do a pickup where they load it into the trunk.
    But the freezer in our standard sized fridge is full to capacity. When we want to know what to eat for dinner I open the door and we make whatever happens to fall out :p

Ha! I am exactly the same way. I have found Walmart excellent in online grocery ordering for a lot of things and their pickup times are very quick. I placed an order Friday and could have picked it up later that evening but took Saturday morning instead. Even better, they have offered various coupons or promos the last few times for $10 to $25, and yesterday sent me another $60 worth. It seems they geared up for peak volumes at the peak of hysteria and now that demand has eased they want to make use of it.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342

Have heard this song a million times(brings me back to high school days)
    Got a real appreciation for talent of drummers who are usually in the background of rock and roll songs.
    Never heard of this girl before but this video has over 25 million views
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d33x1HyJZ10&list=RDd33x1HyJZ10&start_radio=1

She's great! The Seattle Mariners had a player by the name of Justin Smoak. Every time he got up to bat they would play part of that song.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,295
    Cam Newton to Pats
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert

I decided to seriously cheat death today; I drove the Wrangler to go pick up lunch; it was raining and I kept it in 2WD. My knuckles were white as I fought to keep the Jeep from lurching into oncoming traffic. I about pulled over and walked home when I saw a completely demolished GLA lying on its side in a drainage ditch; if that CUV couldn’t cope with the road conditions what chance did I have?
    But somehow I made it; it’s been 8 hours and only now is my pulse returning to normal.

You’re quite a trooper to brave death like that. Pour yourself a stiff drink to calm your nerves.

You’re lucky that a hooptie Oldsmobile wasn’t out gunning for you. ;)

driver100 said:

abacomike said:

driver100 said:

Not too often...last time they had to drop the charges ;)

I decided to seriously cheat death today; I drove the Wrangler to go pick up lunch; it was raining and I kept it in 2WD. My knuckles were white as I fought to keep the Jeep from lurching into oncoming traffic. I about pulled over and walked home when I saw a completely demolished GLA lying on its side in a drainage ditch; if that CUV couldn’t cope with the road conditions what chance did I have?
    But somehow I made it; it’s been 8 hours and only now is my pulse returning to normal.

Why not use 4WD? :p

ab348 said:

driver100 said:

Ha! I am exactly the same way. I have found Walmart excellent in online grocery ordering for a lot of things and their pickup times are very quick. I placed an order Friday and could have picked it up later that evening but took Saturday morning instead.
    Walmart has quickened the times....usually you can pickup the same day. Actually, most of the stores have found ways to do orders faster. Sometimes substitutions aren't the best, I ordered a smaller size of ketchup, it was out of stock...I got some large industrial sized bottle that will last me 3 years....might give it to the food bank.

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    driver100 said:

driver100 said:

abacomike said:

driver100 said:

Not too often...last time they had to drop the charges ;)
    Is that when you stole 11 bottles of whiskey and the DA said he couldn't make a case with only 11 bottles?

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

Finally got around to watching “Ford vs Ferrari” last night. Excellent movie.

I was watching it in my full blown Home Theater, in my basement set up. While the credits were running at the end, my Pioneer Elite AV Receiver (SC-27) weny into protect mode (which usually means there was either too much heat inside the unit).

Although the receiver is 11 years old, it was the best Pioneer made at the time. It lacks some of the newest decoding (e.g. Dolby Atmos), but handled everything else quite well.

Given it was not cheap, I decided to do some inspection/surgery. This Receiver uses Band and Olufsen sourced digital amps, which run cool and efficiently. I didn’t ask it to do any sort of video processing (used my sources connected directly to my TV for that), it did all audio processing and amplification.

These things are beasts. And, at the time, used best in class components. Kind of odd it would fail. Fail it did, though....at the hands of a some sort of bug carcass at the back of the Receiver. Not sure what kind of bug.

But, pealing off the receiver cover, there was a couple more of some sort of the same carcasses of what may, or may not have been, centipedes...about an inch long. How they got into my home, or even more perplexing, how they got into my receiver, is a mystery. What is for certain, they suffered a “shocking” death.

So, cleaning the dead from my receiver, I inspected and generally did some house cleaning inside the receiver. These things are an amazing example of excellent electrical engineering. I couldn’t revive it. I hate to give this thing up for dead....especially the inglorious way it went into ICU.

But, maybe it’s an opportunity to get a new one with all the new lossless sound options and up-to-date technology.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,570
    Those 'centipedes' don't have any trouble getting into your house. :(

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,194
    driver100 said:

Dino, Have you always had that picture of your 430 in your signature? I don't take note of those pictures too often but noticed it today.....it is a great looking car and I really like that color. looks more like tomato soup red than bright red....that car would suit both those colors though.

About the masks....didn't they mandate it in stores and public places - indoors since the numbers are spiking? It is absolutely irresponsible to allow people to congregate inside a bar. Being inside is 1000X worse than outside, and in bars people don't think to social distance.

There has been no mandate yet here in KY, but compliance has been pretty good anyway. I think the main point of the executive order when we started re-opening was to give a green light to businesses that wanted to require masks. Most of them still ask nicely. Actually, I think we have managed everything *fairly* well by asking nicely. Though I know in other places with more population density, more of a mandate is needed.
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
    edited June 2020
    Governors need to bite the bullet and require it. At least give the crowd that thinks they have to protest them some cover to actually wear a mask.

pensfan83 said:

I'm only going to say this and it there's no political angle at all.

America is in no way, shape, or form equipped to deal with any kind of crisis health or otherwise. The unwillingness of people to make even the smallest of sacrifices to their lives has cemented that for me.

Most are ready, able and willing to help stem the spread of COVID 19. Some, unfortunately, are not, for a variety of reasons....none of them good!
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    pensfan83 said:

America is in no way, shape, or form equipped to deal with any kind of crisis health or otherwise. The unwillingness of people to make even the smallest of sacrifices to their lives has cemented that for me.

Agreed. Some people are selfish and don’t want to be inconvenienced - they are lacking consideration and respect for others.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,896

I was watching it in my full blown Home Theater, in my basement set up. While the credits were running at the end, my Pioneer Elite AV Receiver (SC-27) weny into protect mode (which usually means there was either too much heat inside the unit).

Although the receiver is 11 years old, it was the best Pioneer made at the time. It lacks some of the newest decoding (e.g. Dolby Atmos), but handled everything else quite well.

Given it was not cheap, I decided to do some inspection/surgery. This Receiver uses Band and Olufsen sourced digital amps, which run cool and efficiently. I didn’t ask it to do any sort of video processing (used my sources connected directly to my TV for that), it did all audio processing and amplification.

These things are beasts. And, at the time, used best in class components. Kind of odd it would fail. Fail it did, though....at the hands of a some sort of bug carcass at the back of the Receiver. Not sure what kind of bug.

But, pealing off the receiver cover, there was a couple more of some sort of the same carcasses of what may, or may not have been, centipedes...about an inch long. How they got into my home, or even more perplexing, how they got into my receiver, is a mystery. What is for certain, they suffered a “shocking” death.

So, cleaning the dead from my receiver, I inspected and generally did some house cleaning inside the receiver. These things are an amazing example of excellent electrical engineering. I couldn’t revive it. I hate to give this thing up for dead....especially the inglorious way it went into ICU.

But, maybe it’s an opportunity to get a new one with all the new lossless sound options and up-to-date technology.

Oh no!! Any fuses? Any Google action for a key command for a hard reset?

That's a quality unit for sure. Probably worth having looked at as unless you spend major change you aren't getting the same quality today in most anything "mainstream"

I may have mentioned it before, but I'm still rocking my Yamaha RXV1. That thing is an absolute beast with some of the best D/A converters outside mega buck standalone units. Yes, it's outdated in it's processing but with my B&W's still rocks the house! Like you video switching just direct to TV

Last week I actually had the house to myself (family down the shore). U571 was on HBO.... I let the depth charge scene roll at 2/3 volume. Had to straighten all the pictures after!

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

Thanks everyone for notes on the "trailer". We are very happy with not only the house itself, but our upgrades and the other residents. I never thought we would have picked that sage color but it really works in the setting.

The location is very much "in the woods" but then we are only 3 miles right to the beach!

My kids are making friends as are we.

Funny story. My son turned six in March and I've been trying to get him ride his bike without training wheels. He really fought me on it. The two girls a few houses down taught him in 5 minutes and he is now is doing wheelies and tricks. They also taught my 4 1/2 year old! Crazy.

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,382
    We're trying to get my 3.5 year old motivated to ride. He loves using his stryder bike (two wheeler, no pedals) when he is on it, but then seems to forget and then doesn't care to get back on again.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
    I didn't start to teach him early enough, glad that my younger one is already doing it. I just can't believe how fast the other kids taught him. I spent a good bit of time on it and he just kept getting frustrated.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,131
    edited June 2020
    I remember learning to ride a bike, it was the same way. At first had dad beside me, guiding me along - I didn't like it. I also remember training wheels, which even at a young age made me feel embarrassed. I eventually just practiced on my own on our driveway, which was just slightly downhill to let me "cruise" before I started pedaling, picked it up the day I started.
    I just cleaned the filter in our air exchanger...needs a vacuuming every 3 months.
    I put on my gmail calendar a pop up reminder to do it again in 3 months.
    Now I am getting ads for filters. :@

Before deciding to look for a power washer, I started to think about buying one.
    Ads started to appearing that day....now they can read my mind.

• houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    carnaught said:

pensfan83 said:

Agreed. Some people are selfish and don’t want to be inconvenienced - they are lacking consideration and respect for others.
    Unfortunately, like most everything else in this country, the masks have become a political issue.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

Have to love targeted advertising!!

If I want to know what my wife wants for a gift all I have to do is grab her phone or computer and browse some sites. All the banner ads will be stuff she has looked at.

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,536
    driver100 said:

I just cleaned the filter in our air exchanger...needs a vacuuming every 3 months.

Before deciding to look for a power washer, I started to think about buying one.

If I were you I wouldn’t worry about them learning very much. In a few weeks they’ll even forget how to email you. ;)

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)

Stop dropping popcorn all over the floor while you watch movies and those cockroaches will leave you alone. :s

omarman said:

driver100 said:

What a quirky but wonderful sense of humor.

tjc78 said:

Have to love targeted advertising!!

If I want to know what my wife wants for a gift all I have to do is grab her phone or computer and browse some sites. All the banner ads will be stuff she has looked at.

Awhile ago MrsD100 was looking up vacuum cleaners, and I guess since we have the same IP address or whatever it is called I started getting ads for vacuum cleaners too. I have to be sure not to accidentally go on any XXX sites ;)

edited June 2020
    I want to hear the service man tell me the flapper valve is not the problem. I wondered if the freezer door was left cracked open for a while which stressed the cooling and caused the snow under the cold air vent into the refrigerator. Waiting for Wednesday.
    driver100 said:

Hmmmm. gmail is google which is Alphabet.

Stock price: GOOG (NASDAQ) $1,394.97

You're the product since the app is free.

Try looking up divorce attorneys. LOL

edited June 2020
    Question for the techies: If someone uses Brave as their browser on the android phone and accesses gmail through the browser as a website, does the information still flow to Google to aggregate?

I have Brave as my browser on my PC and it blocks the ads. They do offer to have me participate in some kind of payment plan from Brave where they let some ads come through, but I declined. I assume they are sharing part of the revenue from letting the ads be shown using Brave.

I just finsihed a book by Grisham named Camino Winds. It's about a Florida hurricane but it involves a person deep into the book selling business, so I thought of @driver100.

It's a good mystery IMHO. Of course the hurricane added lots of flavor to the book. Only in Florida.