Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964
    andres3 said:

driver100 said:

For those who are curious the tennis guy traded his 2007 E Class for a 2020 Lexus ES300h.

He loves the fact he can drive through the city and there is no engine noise. OK. I would feel weird without engine noise, but I am slow to want to change...I like my gassers.

Now that's a car that you must give due credit for the beautiful "insides" and not just judge the book by its cover.

We can agree on that. They do an excellent job on the interior. I still prefer the MBs more classic look applied to a more modern look, but, for state of the art designing...Lexus does that really well.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852
    Other than the awful front ends, Lexus makes a nice car. They may not be everyone’s cup of tea, but you really can’t go wrong with any of them.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,096
    I like how the screen is somewhat integrated - I don't like the freestanding tablet look. However IMO, MB does it right with full screen integration.

I hope the interface in that car isn't the typical "suddenly it's 2006" electronics Toyolex likes to use. Then again, many brand loyalists might like that.
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited June 2020
    The 2.4 in my 2016 Accord (185 hp) was quite similar to the 2.4 in my 2018 TLX (206 hp), but with premium gas and different software, etc. it does feel a bit different.

2016 Accord 2.4
    185 horsepower @ 6400 rpm (SAE net)
    181 lb-ft. torque @ 3900 rpm (SAE net)
    compression ratio of 11.1:1

2018 TLX 2.4
    206 horsepower at 6,800 rpm and peak torque of 182 lb.-ft. at 4,500 rpm (both SAE net)
    11.6:1 compression ratio
    "To maximize power output, the 2.4-liter engine has a dual-stage intake manifold has two different intake runner lengths that are selected based on the operating conditions. An actuator and a set of four butterfly valves control the intake runner switching process. At low engine speeds, the long runners are used to improve low-end torque. At higher engine speeds the system switches to the short intake runners for greater high rpm power. The result is intake tuning that is optimized for the engine's entire operating range."

So although there are a lot of identical parts in these two engines, the 2018 TLX does make 21 hp more, which combined with the 8-speed DCT means that it accelerates about half a second faster than a 2016 Accord, even though the Acura weighs a few hundred pounds more.

I keep the car in sport mode, and sometimes when merging or passing get to 6000 rpm or so, which is in the area where the extra power is kicking in, and I can feel it. It's rare, but once in a while I want every one of those 206 horses.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,029

But, the last time I did that, I bought a B&K AVR many years ago. That was rated highly but was an unmitigated disaster because they couldn't figure out why the audio was cutting in and out constantly. They kept wanting me to constantly tear down my installation and take the unit to a local service provider, who could never fix it. They didn't want to refund me, so I let AMEX go after them and take care of it for me.

Another buyback! :open_mouth:

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,255
    "To maximize power output, the 2.4-liter engine has a dual-stage intake manifold has two different intake runner lengths that are selected based on the operating conditions.
    Gee whiz, 1989 all over again!
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,029

"To maximize power output, the 2.4-liter engine has a dual-stage intake manifold has two different intake runner lengths that are selected based on the operating conditions.

My '85 MR2 had something like that as well.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,190
    benjaminh said:

The 2.4 in my 2016 Accord (185 hp) was quite similar to the 2.4 in my 2018 TLX (206 hp), but with premium gas and different software, etc. it does feel a bit different.

2016 Accord 2.4

2018 TLX 2.4
    206 horsepower at 6,800 rpm and peak torque of 182 lb.-ft. at 4,500 rpm (both SAE net)
    "To maximize power output, the 2.4-liter engine has a dual-stage intake manifold has two different intake runner lengths that are selected based on the operating conditions. An actuator and a set of four butterfly valves control the intake runner switching process. At low engine speeds, the long runners are used to improve low-end torque. At higher engine speeds the system switches to the short intake runners for greater high rpm power. The result is intake tuning that is optimized for the engine's entire operating range."

So although there are a lot of identical parts in these two engines, the 2018 TLX does make 21 hp more, which combined with the 8-speed DCT means that it accelerates about half a second faster than a 2016 Accord, even though the Acura weighs a few hundred pounds more.

I keep the car in sport mode, and sometimes when merging or passing get to 6000 rpm or so, which is in the area where the extra power is kicking in, and I can feel it. It's rare, but once in a while I want every one of those 206 horses.

Now there's a great example where the engine used in the Acura has some clear upgrades where it makes sense that it would be optimized for premium.
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2013 VW Jetta 2.5SE
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    ronsteve said:

benjaminh said:

2016 Accord 2.4

2018 TLX 2.4

Now there's a great example where the engine used in the Acura has some clear upgrades where it makes sense that it would be optimized for premium.
    Yes, in some ways, I feel Honda is held back by Mr. Acura so as to not step on their toes. I mean really.... a CVT?? Why don't they just price them like Tata's then?
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    edited June 2020
    This is my Caribbean home on a hillside overlooking the Caribbean sea. We've had six straight months of dry weather with the exception of the Sahara desert storm that rained dust for one week.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    benjaminh said:

jipster said:

Thx for the comments. 87 it is. Technically BP isn't a member of tier 1 , as they think they are above tier 1 standards....the snobs. ;-) But, there's a station lose by, so Im good with BP. Before I've usually gotten Speedway gasoline. One thing I've noticed with a lot of these top tier gas stations ( Shell, Maraton, etc) is that many of them are older stations and pumps, privately owned I guess. So you have to wonder a bit about impuritys getting in the gas tanks. More than likely not a problem, just many don't look that " clean".

Costo and Kroger are my favorites for Tier 1 gas. With my Kroger car I save about 50 cents on average at the Kroger gas pumps. Costco already saves you about 30 cents. If you aren't a member of Costo, you might consider looking into it. My family resisted it for years, but now we love it. The savings are real, and the quality is always very good.
    I don't see Kroger listed as Top Tier. A few years ago I called and asked if they were Top Tier on their quality and the folks said, "No."

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    benjaminh said:

2016 Accord 2.4

2018 TLX 2.4

I got 21 more hp. By switching from an 80mm to an 87mm throttle body.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

bwia said:

This is my Caribbean home on a hillside overlooking the Caribbean sea. We've had six straight months of dry weather with the exception of the Sahara desert storm that rained dust for one week.

Nice castle.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

driver100 said:

I just finsihed a book by Grisham named Camino Winds. It's about a Florida hurricane but it involves a person deep into the book selling business, so I thought of @driver100.

It's a good mystery IMHO. Of course the hurricane added lots of flavor to the book. Only in Florida.

Thanks imid, I like the book seller angle, not so sure about being in a hurricane in Florida. John Grisham writes extremely good books, or incredibly bad books...I only like the ones with 4 or 5 stars.
    Don't know if you know the story, Grishams first book was probably his best, A Time to Kill, but it was too good - a literary masterpiece, won awards but didn't sell very well. Grisham went back to the drawing board and checked out best sellers to see what the formula was to write a best seller. He wrote The Firm and he was a huge success.
    Thanks for the background info. Interesting. I'll have to see if I read the first book, A Time to Kill. I know I've read The Firm, twice.

benjaminh said:

jipster said:

Thx for the comments. 87 it is. Technically BP isn't a member of tier 1 , as they think they are above tier 1 standards....the snobs. ;-) But, there's a station lose by, so Im good with BP. Before I've usually gotten Speedway gasoline. One thing I've noticed with a lot of these top tier gas stations ( Shell, Maraton, etc) is that many of them are older stations and pumps, privately owned I guess. So you have to wonder a bit about impuritys getting in the gas tanks. More than likely not a problem, just many don't look that " clean".

Costo and Kroger are my favorites for Tier 1 gas. With my Kroger car I save about 50 cents on average at the Kroger gas pumps. Costco already saves you about 30 cents. If you aren't a member of Costo, you might consider looking into it. My family resisted it for years, but now we love it. The savings are real, and the quality is always very good.
    I don't see Kroger listed as Top Tier. A few years ago I called and asked if they were Top Tier on their quality and the folks said, "No."

Thanks for the info.....Seems like often Kroger gas is top tier but not always. Guess I should go with Costco....

https://firstquarterfinance.com/kroger-gas-quality/

"Many Kroger stores partner with Shell gasoline, which is a TOP TIER brand. However, to know whether your local Kroger gas station contracts with a TOP TIER provider, you’ll need to contact your local Kroger and ask which brand supplies its gas. The store should be able to tell you whether its gas is TOP TIER...."
    edited June 2020
    Some Costco gas info....

"Kirkland Signature Gasoline meets and exceeds TOP TIER™ performance standard. To qualify for TOP TIER, an additive must contain about three times the EPA detergent requirement, and Costco's Kirkland Signature Gasoline additive dosage is five times the requirement.

If you're curious about TOP TIER, this article from the Costco Connection has some great details: April 2014 Costco Connection."

https://customerservice.costco.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9230/~/costco-gas-station-faqs#5

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    ab348 said:

My '85 MR2 had something like that as well.
    BMW called it DISA(Differential Air Intake), and introduced it in 1989 on the M42. My Club Sport has it- the switch from short runner to long runner occurs at 4,500 rpm.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

edited June 2020
    benjaminh said:

benjaminh said:

jipster said:

Thanks for the info.....Seems like often Kroger gas is top tier but not always. Guess I should go with Costco....

"Many Kroger stores partner with Shell gasoline, which is a TOP TIER brand. However, to know whether your local Kroger gas station contracts with a TOP TIER provider, you’ll need to contact your local Kroger and ask which brand supplies its gas. The store should be able to tell you whether its gas is TOP TIER...."
    And BP is on the list of Top Tier. Krogers in this area many years ago had a connection to Shell and a discount at the Shell stations using Kroger points or something like that. But that changed and disappeared.

I believe our fuel comes from a dump that's adjacent to the Marathon dump not too far from here. I recall many years back the station attendant at Kroger saying their fuel was whatever it said on the truck that delivered it. But I believe the fuels are all the same; additives may be different. But they all originate at the fuel dump about 30 miles or so away. It probably serves many brands.

Gasoline cleaning valves doesn't really apply to direct injection engines.
    benjaminh said:

Some Costco gas info....

"Kirkland Signature Gasoline meets and exceeds TOP TIER™ performance standard. To qualify for TOP TIER, an additive must contain about three times the EPA detergent requirement, and Costco's Kirkland Signature Gasoline additive dosage is five times the requirement.

If you're curious about TOP TIER, this article from the Costco Connection has some great details: April 2014 Costco Connection."

https://customerservice.costco.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9230/~/costco-gas-station-faqs#5

In the mid 1980s new BMWs were developing driveability issues due to intake valve deposits which were caused by the lack of detergents in US gasoline. BMW NA launched a major program to address the issue, which included walnut shell blasting of the intake valves on affected cars. BMW NA also developed an Intake Valve Deposit test which has been refined into the ASTM D5500 - 20a standard.
    All well and good, but the problem today is that on most GDI cars the intake valves never see any fuel, so intake valve deposits have returned. Some early GDI cars had severe IVD issues, but it seems most manufacturers now have it under control. I still run Top Tier 93 octane in everything but the Wrangler.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

edited June 2020
    So, on the M2C hunt I mentioned I found one at a Tennessee Ford dealer. The sunroof and DCT scream "Buffy's Graduation Present," but even worse, check out the floor mats- the car was definitely owned by a complete and utter moron:
    2019 M2C

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,538
    That looks like what I cover the seats with when the dog tags along.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    edited June 2020

This is not what I like to see. My daughter called me when she was out, dad a light came on and I don't know what it is. Apparently she wasn't listening when I explained the controls and warning lights, etc. It is running fine. Took it to AutoZone and it posted code P0443, Evap Cannister Purge Valve. I'm tempted to replace it myself, but I am getting pushback from...she will not be identified. I will call my trusted Honda dealer for an estimate.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

I guess the floor mats distracted you from the very rare 33.0L engine.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852
    edited June 2020
    bwia said:

Wow. What a place. Views must be A M A Z I N G!!!!!

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    don't worry about the quilted floor mats. based on the pictures, it has 3 sets. The quilts, rubber all weather, and a set of M2 carpet mats. Change them as the mood strikes you!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Savage Geese talks about problems with DI engines....Catch can is an answer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrLNDgrIw3U
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729

So, on the M2C hunt I mentioned I found one at a Tennessee Ford dealer. The sunroof and DCT scream "Buffy's Graduation Present," but even worse, check out the floor mats- the car was definitely owned by a complete and utter moron:
    2019 M2C

Aside from those flaws, what do you think of the asking price?
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    The price is good; I could probably deal with the sunroof if it was a manual- or a DCT without a hole in the roof, but both? Hard pass.

benjaminh said:

Savage Geese talks about problems with DI engines....Catch can is an answer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrLNDgrIw3U

The jury is still out on whether a catch can helps- or is needed. I put 158k on the GDI turbo in my MS3 and never touched the valves.

Toyota uses both port and direct injection to solve carbon build-up.

https://www.import-car.com/toyota-direct-injection-port-injection-why-not-both/

"The system offers the best of both worlds while avoiding carbon buildup on the intake valves. Other manufacturers, including Audi and even Ford, are adopting the Toyota D-4S dual-injection system. As the costs of the components decrease, look for these types of systems on even more engine applications."
    My F 150 has both direct and port injection.
    One of my kids has a hand me down 2013 Escape with DI and 90+k on it.
    Still runs great.
    bwia said:

Nice home....seems that you wouldn't have many problems with the neighbors.

2019 M2C

I really like that flat gray color on the outside. It says the interior is black but unless my computer screen is acting up the seats look kind of gray or beige to me. They show the car with rubber mats and carpets I believe.....the carpet that looks like it came from a bordello must be the dealers protective mats...I would think.
    I don't know why a sunroof would be a deal killer.......I never open it, and I keep it covered to some degree...in hot weather 80%, but, personally, I like some light coming in.......no fear of sunlight ;)

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    sda said:

This is not what I like to see. My daughter called me when she was out, dad a light came on and I don't know what it is. Apparently she wasn't listening when I explained the controls and warning lights, etc. It is running fine. Took it to AutoZone and it posted code P0443, Evap Cannister Purge Valve. I'm tempted to replace it myself, but I am getting pushback from...she will not be identified. I will call my trusted Honda dealer for an estimate.

Tighten the gas cap, clear the code, and see if it comes back on before you bother with anything else.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686
    sda said:

Recent visit to the gas station? Perhaps the ol' loose gas cap trick...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    bwia said:

My birthday is coming up in a couple of weeks. And on top of my gift list is the $235,700 Bentley Bentayga Speed - The World's Fastest SUV. Enjoy the sights and sounds of this 4 minute video.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOgQKdYdSVw

When I first saw that pic, I thought it was an Acura RDX (Acura has a very similar color) because the side views look mighty similar.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    I thought it was an MDX. looks even more like one of those.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    ab348 said:

But, the last time I did that, I bought a B&K AVR many years ago. That was rated highly but was an unmitigated disaster because they couldn't figure out why the audio was cutting in and out constantly. They kept wanting me to constantly tear down my installation and take the unit to a local service provider, who could never fix it. They didn't want to refund me, so I let AMEX go after them and take care of it for me.

Another buyback! :open_mouth:
    Damn straight. It was a $3K piece of audio gear. Watching TV or a movie, about every 10-15 seconds, I’d hear a loud “click” from the receiver and the audio would cut out. 1-2 seconds later, it would come back on. This went on constantly. It was known issue with B&K (after many complaints by the audio community). Bottom line, the company gave short shift to implementing the audio codecs and associated software.

As these things go, it’s one thing to have a problem with a product. It’s quite something else to jack along your customer when you don’t have a fix. It would take me at least 45 minutes to disconnect the receiver and pack it up. I had to drive it to the authorized dealer where I bought it (about 30 minutes away) and they’d pack it up and send it back to the factory to have it fixed. I’d be without the unit for a month. Instead of just sending it back to me, they’d send it to the store where I bought it, and I’d have to go pick it up.

Understand, this thing weighed 45–50 lbs. I’d wrestle it back into my vehicle (luckily, I owned a Tahoe at the time). Get it home and wrestle it back into my audio rack after reconnecting everything. Only to find out, it wasn’t fixed.

I did this 3 times. The last time, I asked the retailer for a refund. They told me they had a 10 day return policy and my issue was with B&K for warranty work as they just sold them. Well, I complained right after I had the thing set up, which was about 2 days after I bought it. They spent another week trying to diagnose it over the phone. By that time, I was past their return policy (I should have just taken it back at the first sign of trouble). They should have interceded with B&K on my behalf, but didn’t. If B&K would have just said, “hey, we’re sorry. We’ve had some issues. Here’s a refund and please come check us out next time”. No harm, no foul. Not what they did, though.

AMEX came through for me when all else failed. I sent them all my service receipts as well as my purchase receipt. I explained they couldn’t fix it (at which time B&K wanted ONE MORE CHANCE to fix it, which I gave them, and they still couldn’t fix it). All of this should sound vaguely familiar to a certain car manufacturer.

I just HATE being taken advantage of.

Over this issue, and all the other customer outcries, B&K went bankrupt about a year after my fiasco with them.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    benjaminh said:

benjaminh said:

jipster said:

That’s assuming the local store manager will tell you the truth. I’ve heard stories of individual franchisees buying gas from less than reputable sources including the mob.

Gasoline cleaning valves doesn't really apply to direct injection engines.

I’ve mentioned before how an ex gas trucker I worked with told me that ALL gas comes from the same tank. As the truck leaves the yard the driver pulls up to the tower, hands the manifest to the operator telling him the propriety additive mixture. The additives are then custom blended into the tank before the truck leaves.

2019 M2C

If you buy that car for me I’ll let you call me Buffy. :D

I’ll even keep the floor mats.

sda said:

Not a big deal. Had one replaced on the PT for not a lot of money. You could probably DYI.

https://youtu.be/TEtGy6ycYI4

benjaminh said:

"The system offers the best of both worlds while avoiding carbon buildup on the intake valves. Other manufacturers, including Audi and even Ford, are adopting the Toyota D-4S dual-injection system. As the costs of the components decrease, look for these types of systems on even more engine applications."

So does Ford, at least on the newer Mustang 5.0.

Mine is port injected and NA, just like god intended.

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290

benjaminh said:

benjaminh said:

jipster said:

That’s assuming the local store manager will tell you the truth. I’ve heard stories of individual franchisees buying gas from less than reputable sources including the mob.
    The individual franchisee could be reputable but their supplier could be cheating.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    edited July 2020

benjaminh said:

So does Ford, at least on the newer Mustang 5.0.

Mine is port injected and NA, just like god intended.
    Buffy, God intended mustangs to be fueled with hay or other grasses.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    qbrozen said:

sda said:

Tighten the gas cap, clear the code, and see if it comes back on before you bother with anything else.
    Good advice. I've done that. When my daughter first reported it last Sunday, the first thing I did was tighten the cap. Monday she said it was on, I was hoping a few cycles it would turn off. Later that day I thought I'd take it to have it diagnosed and wait, the light was off. So I filled it up, made sure the cap was tight and all was well. Daughter drove the car several times Tuesday only to tell me the light is back on. I called the Honda dealership where I've had consistently good service and they suggested before I bring it in and them charge me $$ to diagnose the problem to first replace the gas cap with a new oem. I'll give that a try

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    Colts and Pintos too Biff. And don't let the Gremlins get wet.
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,464
    sda said:

qbrozen said:

sda said:

Good advice. I've done that. When my daughter first reported it last Sunday, the first thing I did was tighten the cap. Monday she said it was on, I was hoping a few cycles it would turn off. Later that day I thought I'd take it to have it diagnosed and wait, the light was off. So I filled it up, made sure the cap was tight and all was well. Daughter drove the car several times Tuesday only to tell me the light is back on. I called the Honda dealership where I've had consistently good service and they suggested before I bring it in and them charge me $$ to diagnose the problem to first replace the gas cap with a new oem. I'll give that a try
    That sounds like a reputable dealer. Be sure you don’t lose their number. Most would tell you to, “bring it on in”, then watch you grab your ankles.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)