Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975

I just finsihed a book by Grisham named Camino Winds. It's about a Florida hurricane but it involves a person deep into the book selling business, so I thought of @driver100.

It's a good mystery IMHO. Of course the hurricane added lots of flavor to the book. Only in Florida.

Imid...thanks for mentioning Camino Winds....that is a new one. I like the last Camino by Grisham....didn't realize there was a new one out. I just ordered one from Amazon....gets really good reviews too!

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348
    I posted my comment about the M2C with the Tijuana Taxi quilted mats on the Facebook page of my local CCA chapter. Turns out that the chapter has at least one moron- he posted a picture of his car fitted with the same mats- saying he “didn’t feel like a moron.” I showed considerable self-restraint and chose not to reply.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,543

I posted my comment about the M2C with the Tijuana Taxi quilted mats on the Facebook page of my local CCA chapter. Turns out that the chapter has at least one moron- he posted a picture of his car fitted with the same mats- saying he “didn’t feel like a moron.” I showed considerable self-restraint and chose not to reply.

Funny that you never showed that kind of restraint in here. :o

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    Wearing a mask whenever I leave my Condo and leaving it on for hours at a time due to the requirement that masks be worn at all times is not one of my favorite things to do - since I wear glasses or sunglasses all the time my lenses fog up and my face gets so hot I begin to perspire all over my face and neck. Then, my whole head feels like it's on fire and I perspire even more in this 95 degree heat and humidity. This is no fun at all!!!

Here in Florida, especially in the southeastern part of the State, covid-19 cases are multiplying to scary numbers. At least the deaths recorded have been fallling almost as fast. But it's the young "whippersnappers" that are causing most of this increase.

When I was walking in the mall today, just about everyone was wearing a mask with a few minor exceptions - young people in their teens and early to mid twentie-somethings. It's people like me who are almost at the point of terror about possibly catching this virus and ending up in the ICU on a ventilator with no visitors allowed. That's scary, as well.

Too bad I can't say, "...I will be able to tell my grandchildren about the time when the entire nation was closed down on account of a virus that killed millions of people all over the world..."! Let's face it, what have I got left in my old age - 10 years if I'm lucky, right? My grandchldren will be telling their children about this by that time, I hope!

2021 Genesis G90

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,934
    sda said:

qbrozen said:

sda said:

This is not what I like to see. My daughter called me when she was out, dad a light came on and I don't know what it is. Apparently she wasn't listening when I explained the controls and warning lights, etc. It is running fine. Took it to AutoZone and it posted code P0443, Evap Cannister Purge Valve. I'm tempted to replace it myself, but I am getting pushback from...she will not be identified. I will call my trusted Honda dealer for an estimate.

Tighten the gas cap, clear the code, and see if it comes back on before you bother with anything else.
    Good advice. I've done that. When my daughter first reported it last Sunday, the first thing I did was tighten the cap. Monday she said it was on, I was hoping a few cycles it would turn off. Later that day I thought I'd take it to have it diagnosed and wait, the light was off. So I filled it up, made sure the cap was tight and all was well. Daughter drove the car several times Tuesday only to tell me the light is back on. I called the Honda dealership where I've had consistently good service and they suggested before I bring it in and them charge me $$ to diagnose the problem to first replace the gas cap with a new oem. I'll give that a try
    Well, you already have my Step 2. :)

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    edited July 2020
    driver100 said:

I just finsihed a book by Grisham named Camino Winds. It's about a Florida hurricane but it involves a person deep into the book selling business, so I thought of @driver100.

It's a good mystery IMHO. Of course the hurricane added lots of flavor to the book. Only in Florida.

Imid...thanks for mentioning Camino Winds....that is a new one. I like the last Camino by Grisham....didn't realize there was a new one out. I just ordered one from Amazon....gets really good reviews too!
    I'm glad I helped someone to some good reading. I now realize I should have said it was new book by Grisham. I've seen some other authors where similarity of titles causes confusion.

I tried to be vague about the storyline because I didn't want to spoil anyone's reading. But as I read
    about the hurricane I couldn't help but think of our posters who are in Florida.

My next book I just finished is also good: Michael Connelly "Fair Warning" June 2020.

Our library has been open for a few weeks for lobby pickup of books reserved online. A lot of reserves I had requested before the panic have been coming in. I was expecting to wait longer for many of them.

Happy reading.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,011
    My library is offering curbside delivery.

Reserve your book, pull into a numbered parking slot, call them and give them your name and stall number, open your trunk, and they'll put the book in for you.

My current time is These Truths, by Jill Lapore. A great read about the history of the US, with a focus on the disenfranchisement of minorities, women and the poor throughout history.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

edited July 2020
    Michaell said:

Reserve your book, pull into a numbered parking slot, call them and give them your name and stall number, open your trunk, and they'll put the book in for you.

Our library is doing that at some locations. But at our local smaller branch I think only one person comes in to handle the drop box and prep the reserves. The books are in new plastic bags with the reserve name tag on the book and they have wooden carts that are rolled into the building's lobby outside the library doors.

When folks call to ask for their reserve books, they are given a time for pickup. The folks are scheduled 5 minutes apart or so to avoid "crowds" of more than one coming into the lobby. Overkill but it works.

Luckily when the panic closed the library, I had about 10 books I'd just picked up from holds and catching books on the shelf at our local branches and a couple I'd read but not returned. So I had reading through the whole time, but I did reread a couple of the good ones.

driver100 said:

My next book I just finished is also good: Michael Connelly "Fair Warning" June 2020.
    I'll keep Fair Warning in mind....but, I like Connelly's lawyer series more. Looking forward to it arriving early next week from amazon.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    “ At least the deaths recorded have been fallling almost as fast. But it's the young "whippersnappers" that are causing most of this increase.”

Up here in NY a bunch of 20 year olds attended a “covid party” with one of the members who had it. They charged a fee to attend and the first who got sick won the money collected.

I can almost understand young people feeling invulnerable but that’s just bizarre.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

Michaell said:

Our library is doing that at some locations. But at our local smaller branch I think only one person comes in to handle the drop box and prep the reserves. The books are in new plastic bags with the reserve name tag on the book and they have wooden carts that are rolled into the building's lobby outside the library doors.

When folks call to ask for their reserve books, they are given a time for pickup. The folks are scheduled 5 minutes apart or so to avoid "crowds" of more than one coming into the lobby. Overkill but it works.

Luckily when the panic closed the library, I had about 10 books I'd just picked up from holds and catching books on the shelf at our local branches and a couple I'd read but not returned. So I had reading through the whole time, but I did reread a couple of the good ones.

Michaell said:

If you run low and can't get out check out abebooks.com (advanced book exchange). Usually shipping is included and prices are good....and you can find almost anything.

Interesting company. 2 women had a book store and they would special order books by going through lists from bookstores all over the world. Their husbands were computer guys. The husbands said, why don't we link up bookstores all over the world? You could find a lot of obscure things you would never find the old way.

Michaell said:

My current time is These Truths, by Jill Lapore. A great read about the history of the US, with a focus on the disenfranchisement of minorities, women and the poor throughout history.

Hope it isn't "political" ;)
    I have a hard time reading anything too serious these days. I can only read non violent fiction....so tired of all the problems in the real world. Same with streaming......didn't watch Greys Anatomy the first time around, but it is not too violent but it is a lot of fun....and MrsD100 likes it too. There are enough seasons and episodes to last about 3 years at 3 a night.

Yes indeed. The ABE books has been wonderful through the decades. I was able to find many books that way and easily get them shipped. My only surprise was one vendor was in Canada, so my credit card company added an exchange penalty to my credit card billing even though the company I thought I was paying was ABE in the US.

I even bought some of my son's specialty college books there by carefully comparing the ISBN's to the ones the profs at The OSU said were needed. I hope I didn't hurt the retirement funds of the profs who recommend purchasing the newest version of their money-making books they write or their buddy wrote (or more accurately, their graduate students wrote). LOL

I was even able to find some teacher editions when he was in high school and college. Finding errors in the answer sections the profs or their grad students put together was great.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,513

“ At least the deaths recorded have been fallling almost as fast. But it's the young "whippersnappers" that are causing most of this increase.”

Up here in NY a bunch of 20 year olds attended a “covid party” with one of the members who had it. They charged a fee to attend and the first who got sick won the money collected.

I can almost understand young people feeling invulnerable but that’s just bizarre.

I am not usually a mean person, but I would not feel any sympathy for anyone at that party that died. Just the poor medical people at the hospital having to deal with them.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

some areas (I noticed them up in Albany in a couple nicer neighborhoods) have boxes (like a big mailbox) set up for a neighborhood library. Honor system, and it is bring a book take a book (or I guess can just leave extras). Nice way to share.

abacomike said:

Here in Florida, especially in the southeastern part of the State, covid-19 cases are multiplying to scary numbers. At least the deaths recorded have been fallling almost as fast. But it's the young "whippersnappers" that are causing most of this increase.

Wear your mask when around other people. Period. My wife can't wear one for long times either. We're all the way up into the mid 80s here and it's uncomfortable.

The media has us focused on arguments about masks and the efficacy to distract. The media used to focus on death numbers but now has focused on the number of positive tests, which is increasing as people have asymptomatic or low symptom cases. The media hasn't focused on the death rate which is continuing to decrease. The data manipulation for purposes is astounding, as I said at the beginning of this spread.

I wear the doctor office type mask when I'm getting out of the car to go into any store. I keep wipes in the car for my hands and my door handles and steering wheel, etc..

might be the 80/20 rule. But people taking some simple, basic steps can probably make a huge positive impact. If they can be bothered to do so.

masks outside, that is rough in the heat, but thankfully it (supposedly) is much less risky outdoors, at least if you aren't packed together like sardines (IOW at a typical beach bar).

I think the real focus again is on impact to hospitalization rate, which seems to be spiking in many areas. Even if deaths are down (a good thing) there is still the strain on the system. would be interesting to know if death rate is lower because of lessons learned (better treatments), or just because the newer cases are skewing to younger people (that can still have serious complications, even if less likely to die from them).

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Masks...inside a public venue? Absolutely. Outside? In the park? In a parking lot? Not unless there’s a crowd that I can’t avoid.

We’re spiking in OH...dramatically in some areas. So, I’ve tightened down where I go, why I have to go, and what I’ll do to keep away from others (in addition to wearing a mask).

May have another Car courier job lined up driving to FRIPP ISLAND. Hope I get that one as I’d look forward to that drive.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905
    stickguy said:

I am not usually a mean person, but I would not feel any sympathy for anyone at that party that died. Just the poor medical people at the hospital having to deal with them.
    What about their families? Idiots.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

Well, it was a college frat. They don’t seem to ever really learn a lesson. It was also back in February, so a different era!

Masks...inside a public venue? Absolutely. Outside? In the park? In a parking lot? Not unless there’s a crowd that I can’t avoid.

We’re spiking in OH...dramatically in some areas. So, I’ve tightened down where I go, why I have to go, and what I’ll do to keep away from others (in addition to wearing a mask).

May have another Car courier job lined up driving to FRIPP ISLAND. Hope I get that one as I’d look forward to that drive.

Good luck with the gig.

I don’t wear a mask outside normally, but would if for some reason I had to wait on a line. Out walking around, no. I do give space to anyone else out walking. One advantage to living in a quiet suburb!

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    edited July 2020
    Fogged-up glasses with masks on: take a dry bar of soap and gently make some strokes on the inside of each lens, then wipe clean with a soft cloth till clear. Voila, you won’t fog up! Repeat as necessary. Caution - could scratch some lenses - be gentle.

Oh, and while wearing the mask, don’t keep touching the outside of it and rearranging it until you are ready to take it off. Always keep your nose covered or it’s worthless. And, for heaven sake, don’t touch your face until your hands are washed or sanitized!! (These are the most common “grocery store” violations, lol.)
    A tissue on the bridge of your nose works too (under the mask of course). I also see some advertised that have an extra flap of some sort to prevent fogging.

• dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165
    edited July 2020

I generally agree, BUT you need to keep in mind you are risking coming into a close contact with others unexpectedly, by accident. So empty/ish parking lot, sure, playing percentages one can reasonably assume they can prevent it, but if you see people closer and closer... All it takes is an individual walking behind you, or you walking onto an individual, making those couple extra steps.

But one thing I still don't see people understanding and government officials are just pathetically failing to stress. YOUR the mask is NOT to protect you!!! Your mask is to protect ME, mine IS to protect you! Feeling OK is not a scientific test for not being infected, so unless you can somehow guarantee me you won't make that step towards me, and have such awesome powers that you can prevent others stepping in front of you, even accidentally, you can still be a source. We really should get over ourselves and all those "but...", "but..." and put the d.mn thing on, at least for next month or two. We won't break it with "American spirit" or screaming "USA!, USA!", we'll break it adhering to best advice science can give us, even if it evolves and doesn't get things right the first time. Just because Copernicus's theory wasn't fully correct, doesn't mean it was worthless.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    I've heard (and read) a number of places that it takes exposure measured in minutes, not seconds, to transmit enough of the virus to cause infection. The onus is on us geezers to look after ourselves by staying away from people by any means necessary. In SoCal the data show that, for people under 50, the death rate is one in 10,000. Let the young people get back to work, and stay home.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,772

I've heard (and read) a number of places that it takes exposure measured in minutes, not seconds, to transmit enough of the virus to cause infection. The onus is on us geezers to look after ourselves by staying away from people by any means necessary. In SoCal the data show that, for people under 50, the death rate is one in 10,000. Let the young people get back to work, and stay home.

In support of that effort, I'm drinking more at home..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905
    edited July 2020
    I would shudder to think of our alcohol bill since March 15th. No, I’m not figuring it out!

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165
    edited July 2020

It's true for virus you need a certain minimum amount for it to start replicating before being quashed by the immune system. But we don't know for sure how much, how long, the numbers will be different for different people, etc. All of this means caution is the way to go, for everybody, even those not particularly vulnerable, at least for next couple of months. The death rate is certainly lower and not as dramatic, as before, probably thanks to some advances in knowledge (like better awareness of vascular effects of Covid and treating those becoming key in survival) but let's wait two-three weeks to call a victory (it it is one), just so we don sound like my Governor with his victory proclamation two weeks before the explosion.

I have no problem with trying to move the economy, but young people here appear to be completely oblivious to their responsibility for their parents and grandparents. Until they get on the program, government may need to use a heavier hand.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

Basically, better safe than sorry. Dino, sadly, here are many people in this country that really only care about themselves, and can’t be bothered with anyone else. Frustrating, because some pretty simple basic precautions would likely prevent more drastic measures line closing all restaurants.

stickguy said:

It’s hard to believe that even young people would think like that. We were all young at one time and when we think back to some of the things we did back then we shudder. I was always taught if you go looking for trouble you’ll find it. I know I did some dumb things when I was a kid, even smoked but I knew better than to drink and drive and not put my hand in a spinning fan blade. I guess it comes down to knowing how to pick your poison.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,139
    What are the "purposes"? Please, if one is going to go in on a media conspiracy ideal, please go all the way, spill it all or don't say anything ;)

Of course the death rate will decrease with more testing (I wonder about some of it, perhaps some indicators have been in the system before this outbreak), but the death toll is still significant with many hospitals in crisis mode, and the US is now lagging other more developed nations (and US citizens are now barred from non-essential travel to many - all of this winning, I can't take it).

abacomike said:

Wear your mask when around other people. Period. My wife can't wear one for long times either. We're all the way up into the mid 80s here and it's uncomfortable.

The media has us focused on arguments about masks and the efficacy to distract. The media used to focus on death numbers but now has focused on the number of positive tests, which is increasing as people have asymptomatic or low symptom cases. The media hasn't focused on the death rate which is continuing to decrease. The data manipulation for purposes is astounding, as I said at the beginning of this spread.

I wear the doctor office type mask when I'm getting out of the car to go into any store. I keep wipes in the car for my hands and my door handles and steering wheel, etc..
    If only people could stop working and stay at home at 50. 50 is the new 40, especially in this reality where most private sector workers don't have a pension (and large swaths of the working population are unable to set money aside at all), and people with health risks still have bills to pay, too. I wish the problem was that simple.

edited July 2020
    stickguy said:

Young people think there is no harm if they get COVID. Now they suspect they could have major heart, blood vessel problems later in life....now they are thinking they could lose some of their cognitive thinking later in life too. Some are not as smart as they think they are - and might even become less smart in the future!

driver100 said:

Michaell said:

I have a hard time reading anything too serious these days. I can only read non violent fiction....so tired of all the problems in the real world. Same with streaming......didn't watch Greys Anatomy the first time around, but it is not too violent but it is a lot of fun....and MrsD100 likes it too. There are enough seasons and episodes to last about 3 years at 3 a night.

My wife ropes me in to watching all the BBC mysteries. Current one is ‘Hamish‘ about a constable in a quirky Scottish town.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

kyfdx said:

In support of that effort, I'm drinking more at home..
    I’ll drink to that.

jmonroe1 said:

stickguy said:

It’s hard to believe that even young people would think like that. We were all young at one time and when we think back to some of the things we did back then we shudder. I was always taught if you go looking for trouble you’ll find it. I know I did some dumb things when I was a kid, even smoked but I knew better than to drink and drive and not put my hand in a spinning fan blade. I guess it comes down to knowing how to pick your poison.

jmonroe

But did you eat Tide Pods on a dare?

jmonroe1 said:

stickguy said:

jmonroe

No, but I ate a medium size bag of potato chips in less than a minute. A good bit faster than anyone else at the party. That won me all the chips that were left over to take home when the party ended; which was 2 large bags of unopened chips and all the chips that were left in a couple bowls.

jmonroe

At least drinking at home is cheaper than drinking out!

driver100 said:

Michaell said:

My wife ropes me in to watching all the BBC mysteries. Current one is ‘Hamish‘ about a constable in a quirky Scottish town.
    Nothing like BBC Mysteries, thoughtful, not a lot of violence, good character development, clever and stories that could happen. You won't find a detonator with a digital count down.

jmonroe1 said:

stickguy said:

jmonroe

They didn't have Tide pods when he was a kid.

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,604
    Or soap.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

Hey guys, that’s what is known as building character. :@

jmonroe
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,081
    jmonroe1 said:

It’s hard to believe that even young people would think like that. We were all young at one time and when we think back to some of the things we did back then we shudder.

The expression "clueless youth" didn't just pop up out of thin air.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

As they say, youth is wasted on the young B)
    ab348 said:

ab348 said:

jmonroe1 said:

It’s hard to believe that even young people would think like that. We were all young at one time and when we think back to some of the things we did back then we shudder.

We didn't know back then the brain doesn't get completely formed until late 20s. Especially the part that relates to danger and doing things beyond your control. Maybe applies to young people and some older ones who drive faster than they should :)

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348
    My assistant(and friend) who had previously served as Commonwealth's Attorney for the largest county in the state has retired- being a diabetic, cancer survivor, and over 70 made him too vulnerable to do anything but work from home. I hate to lose him; his experience was invaluable. On the bright side, his replacement is a brilliant young woman who will handle the grand juries as well as any necessary legal research.

As for books, I'm currently reading a book my son suggested:

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    stickguy said:

It's also safer as you dont have to drive home.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

stickguy said:

It's also safer as you dont have to drive home.
    If Mrs Stick doesn't mind his drinking ;)