Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    carnaught said:

@graphicguy, your system sounds awesome. In these days of being home bound, you deserve it and should really enjoy it!

Thanks! Assembled and maintained over a series of years. You can really go over the top, way over what my set up is.
    ab348 said:

@graphicguy good luck with that new receiver. I had never heard of 13.2 sound formats before, but I don't pay much attention to that sort of thing these days.

One thing I noticed in looking at all the different receivers they have on offer is that none of the manufacturers (at least the ones they carry) seem to have progressed very much in the display department - all of them have the same blue dot-matrix LED displays they had 20 years ago. I would have figured that by now they would have adopted the same sort of color graphic displays that automakers use in the the instument cluster.

lol! So true. You’d think dot matrix displays would be long gone by now. But, the UI on these current receivers for set up are worlds better than what was on my old receiver.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,896
    @graphicguy
    You made a smart choice letting the old Pioneer. Good luck with the Denon, that is a serious piece!!

As for the display, most of the deep menus are on the on screen display so the actual one on the receiver isn’t used all that much.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,489
    I an't even remember the last time I fired up the receiver and the big speakers on the set up in the family room. We just listen to the speakers on the TV. If I even try to turn up the sound the wife just complains so have to turn it down. Also why the ELS in the RDX is overkill. she won't ever turn the volume over about 7 without complaining it is too loud.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,896
    Not my wife. She gives all the systems a workout.

When she is cleaning or doing things around the house we are bumpin’. Lol

At the campground the neighbor was like, what gear are you running in there and how do you have the room? I showed him my slim subwoofer and how I wired it all up.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

tjc78 said:

At the campground the neighbor was like, what gear are you running in there and how do you have the room? I showed him my slim subwoofer and how I wired it all up.

just now she was in the dining room working on a puzzle with the princess, and I was in the back family room with TV on, and started watching some YouTube videos (JR and Hoovie). she eventually wandered in to say I need to use headphones because she could hear it in the other room. If I ever tried to crank up the tunes or a movie, it would not end well.

• ventureventure Member Posts: 2,869
    stickguy said:

tjc78 said:

just now she was in the dining room working on a puzzle with the princess, and I was in the back family room with TV on, and started watching some YouTube videos (JR and Hoovie). she eventually wandered in to say I need to use headphones because she could hear it in the other room. If I ever tried to crank up the tunes or a movie, it would not end well.
    Same here.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975
    stickguy said:

tjc78 said:

In my case it is selective....probably the same would have happened if I was doing what you are doing....but if I clearly said "I will be playing tennis tomorrow" I will get "Why didn't you tell me that before"?

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,341
    A receiver will be next on my list after the 75"-85" tv and 4K BD plater. I need eARC to get more than 5.1 from the streaming services on the TV.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

edited July 2020
    I guess he $429 TCL 65” 4K UHD Roku built in TV at BJs won’t impress you? The fancy new model LG 65” was a steep $629.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,570
    edited July 2020
    stickguy said:

I guess he $429 TCL 65” 4K UHD Roku built in TV at BJs won’t impress you? The fancy new model LG 65” was a steep $629.

60" LG 4K at Target in April: $399

My wife wanted a smart TV in the lower level, so she could stream Planet Fitness exercise videos. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,073
    I have the 55" TCL Roku 4K UHD set. It is fine for the money I paid. I'm sure there are better ones around but as a value purchase it can't be beat.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

Does anyone know what this is? I put a quarter beside it.

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    venture said:

Moth - maybe a Gypsy Moth. Delectable in some cultures.🤓

2021 Genesis G90

edited July 2020

A receiver will be next on my list after the 75"-85" tv and 4K BD plater. I need eARC to get more than 5.1 from the streaming services on the TV.

RB....eARC (enhanced audio return channel for the uninitiated) made a huge difference in the sound quality. Netflix is now streaming some Dolby Atmos content. I suspect other streaming services will follow.

Watched this 4K IMAX disk last night....sound and picture were astonishing....

https://youtu.be/ojxx9zDrpfM
    venture said:

A big moth???????
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    venture said:

Polyphemus moth. Very common in the Midwest. They’re not a problem, so enjoy the weirdness!
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,533
    venture said:

I’ll pick up the quarter but not that other thing. :'(

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,293
    I was going to say 'A blood sucking alien playing dead to draw you in closer'.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    I was going to say it was a grain of sand (you said it was the thing next to the quarter :p ), but, these guys really know their moths. Here is an official picture;

Looks like toy put googly eyes on that thing.

I see 2 frowning faces.

I was going to say 'A blood sucking alien playing dead to draw you in closer'.

LOL. That's what I thought at first.

driver100 said:

I see 2 frowning faces.

I see a hand that’s going to swell up and fall off.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    suydam said:

venture said:

Polyphemus moth. Very common in the Midwest. They’re not a problem, so enjoy the weirdness!
    Thanks. I never saw a moth that big before. It freaked me out a little.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,637
    abacomike said:

venture said:

I was going to say Gypsy Moth but that’s too big. Good thing too as those GMs can devastate your Oak trees.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    No this isn’t a harmful moth.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    Last month the Ohio Department of Agriculture began aerial spraying SPLAT GM-O to disrupt gypsy moth mating.
    I wouldn't worry about any ill effects from SPLAT which was explained in a 2017 article published by The Ohio State University College of Food, Agricultural, and Environmental Sciences:

"The process is akin to spraying a lot of a certain perfume in a large area with a lot of women, say a Justin Bieber concert. A man is stymied as he tries to find his girlfriend who wears that perfume. Everywhere he can smell the perfume, so he can’t possibly zero in on her. The romance is off, save for the slim chance he’ll run into her in the crowd on his way to the bathroom or to the parking lot."
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.

abacomike said:

venture said:

I was going to say Gypsy Moth but that’s too big. Good thing too as those GMs can devastate your Oak trees.

Can’t wait to hear what @imidazol97 calls you after that accusation.😫

jmonroe

• houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    venture said:

stickguy said:

tjc78 said:

Same here.
    Ditto

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

abacomike said:

venture said:

I believe the Japanese word for that moth is, "MOTHRA".

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,926
    darn ... houdini kinda beat me to it. Was about to say "you are all wrong, it is Mothra after the government took their top-secret shrink ray to it."

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,341
    stickguy said:

Right now I'm looking at the 75" Sony 950H.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

houdini1 said:

abacomike said:

venture said:

fezo said:

Man, you go away for 73,000 posts and...

Not actually that much to report. I think I still have the same cars.

Who'd have figured that in my late 60s I'd be in as good health as I've ever been?

We had one adult daughter move back in due to Covid and added to the animal population here.

On the car-related front, my mechanic is trying to put me in a Mazdaspeed 3. I'm game for that. The problem is that he doesn't own it. A woman maybe in her 80s has it and hates it. He keeps on trying to convince her to sell it and get something she likes but she won't do it. Stay tuned. If I got it it'd be replacing the Miata. Since one of the issues from the transplant is developing skin cancers (3 so far) some of the convertible magic wears off. Stay tuned.

Were it to come through we'd have 3 Mazdas all in the same color - Soul Red. The Miata is green.

fezo said:

Were it to come through we'd have 3 Mazdas all in the same color - Soul Red. The Miata is green.

Cry a lot and tell her you need her 3 red ones to have a matching set.

qbrozen said:

darn ... houdini kinda beat me to it. Was about to say "you are all wrong, it is Mothra after the government took their top-secret shrink ray to it."

Could be one of Mothra's offsping. Be very afraid, watch the sky !!

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

jmonroe1 said:

abacomike said:

venture said:

Can’t wait to hear what @imidazol97 calls you after that accusation.😫

jmonroe

Well, he could damage an Oak by running that big boat into it, sooooooo....

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

so Locusts and tropical rains isn't enough, now we are getting Japanese movie monsters in real life? Somehow, based on 2020 so far, I believe it.

fezo said:

Not actually that much to report. I think I still have the same cars.

Who'd have figured that in my late 60s I'd be in as good health as I've ever been?

We had one adult daughter move back in due to Covid and added to the animal population here.

On the car-related front, my mechanic is trying to put me in a Mazdaspeed 3. I'm game for that. The problem is that he doesn't own it. A woman maybe in her 80s has it and hates it. He keeps on trying to convince her to sell it and get something she likes but she won't do it. Stay tuned. If I got it it'd be replacing the Miata. Since one of the issues from the transplant is developing skin cancers (3 so far) some of the convertible magic wears off. Stay tuned.

What dishonest salesperson conned an 80 year old to buy a speed3?

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,293
    edited July 2020
    @fezo,
    So, is the chicken done yet?

2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    houdini1 said:

abacomike said:

venture said:

I know a neighborhood that would call it a Big Mother...

jmonroe

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,553
    Lol. My current beverage...
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    nice can. High octane brew too.

I’m having a colonoscopy tomorrow, so I’ve been on clear liquids all day today. To keep myself occupied I decided to try my hand at replacing the seeping VANOS Oil Line. Shop booked it at 1.5-2 hours of labor plus the part ($31). I knocked it out in 45 minutes which included wrestling with the air box for a few minutes.

Turns out someone had been in there before with this part because the lower connection had the crush washers installed incorrectly and it was a huge oily mess. Anyway, I cleaned it up, properly installed it and buttoned it back up. Test drive after and no leak at either end. Successful mission.

You were doing auto repairs between trips to the bathroom? You da’ man!

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,382
    Haha. No. That starts in about 20 minutes.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,146
    @28firefighter are you on the low volume prep or a high volume prep?

I had to pay some to get the lower quantity prep under my insurance plan instead of the gallon
    of stuff to drink in two sittings, but it was worth every dollar not gagging on the huge volume
    I had to drink every half hour if I recall the timing 3 years ago correctly.

Hoping they don't find anything to worry about during your procedure.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,382
    This is my 11th in 14 years. I have a GI condition so I have to get routine screening every 12-18 months for that and colon cancer. No biggie.

I’m doing osomoprep pills. 4 pills every 15 minutes for an hour with 8 ozs of liquid each go. I do that regimen twice - one tonight and one at 3am.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    "This is my 11th in 14 years."
    Ok, now You da’ man!
    Seriously good luck and hope all goes well.
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,926

This is my 11th in 14 years. I have a GI condition so I have to get routine screening every 12-18 months for that and colon cancer. No biggie.

I’m doing osomoprep pills. 4 pills every 15 minutes for an hour with 8 ozs of liquid each go. I do that regimen twice - one tonight and one at 3am.

I'm in a similar boat, but I have avoided going in for a procedure for a long time now. Doc has been hounding me.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S