Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,433
    @stickguy - your son's Genesis G70 is white? I saw a really sharp looking Genesis G70 2.0T in White this AM. I really like it!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,669
    qbrozen said:

Quick drive in the AMG today. Thing is such a beast. AC definitely seems weak, so I’ll probably get that checked out. I did a little reading on the air suspension and I am fairly confident it is functioning fine. After I got home, as I was sitting in driveway, I played with the buttons and could see it going up and down. Sons were keen on me leaving it in the lowest setting, so that’s where it sits now. Lol

Have you thought of doing some videos on the repair process like Hoovie does? Could help offset your costs. You just need a Car Wizard.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,553
    More like JR. cheaper to be your own Weezard

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    nyccarguy said:

@stickguy - your son's Genesis G70 is white? I saw a really sharp looking Genesis G70 2.0T in White this AM. I really like it!

His is black over black. Sharp when it’s clean. And of course has the 3.3t motor.

• Options
    stickguy said:

Your killing me Ti.

I hope you made the Mrs. eat her ice cream in the parking lot, not the car!

Yeah, he should put cones and caution tape around the car so no one can get within 10 feet. :p

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    nyccarguy said:

I saw an identical one stop at the corner outside my house the other day. It really was striking-looking. My immediate thought was, "Geez, what a shame that's a Hyundai".

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    I won’t let my wife in the car until all the sprinkles are gone.

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,433
    stickguy said:

nyccarguy said:

His is black over black. Sharp when it’s clean. And of course has the 3.3t motor.
    I knew he had the bigger motor. Black/Black (THUMBS UP)!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    Speaking of Genesis, I’m really curious to see how they do with the GV80. It’s certainly in a segment that gets a lot of attention, so it will be very telling as to how successful it is without a solid dealer network.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    @breld, Hyundai does SUV’s well.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Hoovie’s Camaro just sold for $11479. That’s an interesting feature, resetting the clock after every bid during the last minute. Is it just me or does that seem like a bit much? I guess when you get into a bidding war at the last minute emotions may play a part.

• Options
    Still pretty cheap in the end. A few grand over a conceptual book price is not much, if someone really wanted that car.

Not like paying $80,000 for something that has never sold for more than $30,000, and being buried forever.

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,168
    Yeah I think the Camaro wasn't out of line. 90s cars are the new thing, that one was nicer than the vast majority - you can't fix up a mess for the same money, and it has enough miles to where you can drive it a little and not kill the value. And for some, the provenance is probably worth a couple grand, too.
  • Options
    pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,556

Hoovie’s Camaro just sold for $11479. That’s an interesting feature, resetting the clock after every bid during the last minute. Is it just me or does that seem like a bit much? I guess when you get into a bidding war at the last minute emotions may play a part.

BaT does that as well. Gives people a fair shot at upping their bid or bowing out, not to mention it avoids last minute bids from a bot or program.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options
    stickguy said:

Still pretty cheap in the end. A few grand over a conceptual book price is not much, if someone really wanted that car.

Not like paying $80,000 for something that has never sold for more than $30,000, and being buried forever.

Too rich for my blood, I would have tapped out at about half that price. Maybe I should take a shot at that blue Corvette.

• Options
    If that’s too rich, you better stay away from auctions like this. Because the only things that end in your price range, are probably not stuff you want to end up owning.

• Options
    Blue vette is nice. Too bad about the AT, but manuals in these are rare sadly.

How about this classic from the 90s? Doubt many came like this with a stick. And man, so many buttons!

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/3oko6BXo/1990-pontiac-grand-prix

• Options
    I could suck it up if I had to and drive one of these. Love the color. Interesting to read the questions. Seller seems quite dodgy about answering the ones about preventive maintenance like fluid changes. Sounds like he skipped all that, and it has a lot coming due, so is dumping all that on the next owner!

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/9n4WnGgp/2013-bmw-335i-m-sport

• Options
    edited July 2020
    stickguy said:

I could suck it up if I had to and drive one of these. Love the color. Interesting to read the questions. Seller seems quite dodgy about answering the ones about preventive maintenance like fluid changes. Sounds like he skipped all that, and it has a lot coming due, so is dumping all that on the next owner!

That car isn't special enough, in my opinion, for me to deal with a seller like that. Want service records? Get 'em yourself. LOL, ok...
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options
    I save the paper in a simple Manila folder, just so I don’t have to go through all that hassle to track down old records, which are not always that readily available. But I guess it gives him cover to “casually forget” if pricey yet important service work was fine.

I’ve also found some dealers or shops won’t give out history to a new owner.

It’s his car, he should get all that info and make it available. Otherwise, bidders will assume it needs doing, and lower their bid accordingly.

• Options
    I do that as well. When I've traded a car or turned in a lease I've left them with the vehicle and inform my salesperson they are there and can do with them what they wish.

The Prelude and came with a nice thick folder and the guy that owned the ZHP did a pretty nice job supplying the same thing ;)
  • Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

Hmmmm....was never a modern day Camaro person ('60s vintage, on the other hand.....). But, would have been tempted at that $11,500 price. I knew the work he put into it. It should be totally ready for trouble free (relatively) duty.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    In the Q&A section of that BMW up for auction, someone said the VIN decodes to 2012 not a 2013.
    The seller seems pretty vague about the services done.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    Successfully Decoded
    BMW
    2013 BMW 3-Series
    WBA3A9C54DF686033
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,947

qbrozen said:

Quick drive in the AMG today. Thing is such a beast. AC definitely seems weak, so I’ll probably get that checked out. I did a little reading on the air suspension and I am fairly confident it is functioning fine. After I got home, as I was sitting in driveway, I played with the buttons and could see it going up and down. Sons were keen on me leaving it in the lowest setting, so that’s where it sits now. Lol

Have you thought of doing some videos on the repair process like Hoovie does? Could help offset your costs. You just need a Car Wizard.
    Oh, I've thought about it. Actually, had the thought that, rather than the whole "i'm holding a phone" camera angle look, if I was serious, I'd position a series of cameras inside and outside my garage while I bust knuckles, bleed, and curse. If I manage to maim myself, I'm sure it would be a big hit on the interwebs.

I guess I'd be remiss if I did not mention the CEL came on the benz today after driving through some big puddles during a hail storm. Message on the dash is telling me there are no wheel sensors and it can't use TPMS. But I already knew the TPMS light was on and all tires inflated, so why would that now require a CEL? Pretty sure a CEL should have nothing to do with tire pressures.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,362
    stickguy said:

Coolant and brake fluid changed every two years would be what I'd definitely want to see. Oil changes every year/10K miles minimum as well. The transmission and final drive could wait to 60K miles.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    stickguy said:

If that’s too rich, you better stay away from auctions like this. Because the only things that end in your price range, are probably not stuff you want to end up owning.

So true. Guess I stick to CL.

• Options
    stickguy said:

Blue vette is nice. Too bad about the AT, but manuals in these are rare sadly.

How about this classic from the 90s? Doubt many came like this with a stick. And man, so many buttons!

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/3oko6BXo/1990-pontiac-grand-prix

I saw that and except for the manual tranny it’s Craigslist bargain bin.

• Options
    qbrozen said:

qbrozen said:

Oh, I've thought about it. Actually, had the thought that, rather than the whole "i'm holding a phone" camera angle look, if I was serious, I'd position a series of cameras inside and outside my garage while I bust knuckles, bleed, and curse. If I manage to maim myself, I'm sure it would be a big hit on the interwebs.

I guess I'd be remiss if I did not mention the CEL came on the benz today after driving through some big puddles during a hail storm. Message on the dash is telling me there are no wheel sensors and it can't use TPMS. But I already knew the TPMS light was on and all tires inflated, so why would that now require a CEL? Pretty sure a CEL should have nothing to do with tire pressures.
    You’re driving fine German engineering, there’s a CEL for the CEL. :'(

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,265

Anything is possible. As a follow up to my E85 experiment in the Tundra, it turns out the freak-out it had wasn't caused by my scan tool, it was legitimately due to the "engine running lean" code causing a cascade of other issues, and generating malfunction codes for the ABS system, combination meter, trailer brake controller, ECU communication circuit, instrument cluster, and BCM. Now, there is no way that all of that stuff should go haywire just on account of out-of-spec fuel, but I guess this is the world that we live in with modern vehicle electronics.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Following up on oldfarmer50's observation, Checken Erste Licht(Check First Light). :D .
  • Options
    corvette said:

Anything is possible. As a follow up to my E85 experiment in the Tundra, it turns out the freak-out it had wasn't caused by my scan tool, it was legitimately due to the "engine running lean" code causing a cascade of other issues, and generating malfunction codes for the ABS system, combination meter, trailer brake controller, ECU communication circuit, instrument cluster, and BCM. Now, there is no way that all of that stuff should go haywire just on account of out-of-spec fuel, but I guess this is the world that we live in with modern vehicle electronics.
    Have you checked for a bad battery? Once my kid’s 2005 Sable was throwing all sorts of codes and lights. Looked like it was possessed. New battery took care of it all. If that happened on an antique like that I can’t imagine what would happen on today’s rolling computers.

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,362
    When I worked at BMW I had a customer who wanted to look at a new 3er that had been on the lot for some time. When I started it the IP lit up like a Christmas tree. Every warning light was illuminated.
    All caused by a low battery.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,168
    Maybe that's why the turn signals rarely seem to work B)
  • Options
    @oldfarmer50 - battery is good. I check tire tread depth and battery strength every 1,000 miles or so.
  • Options
    I'm digging that 2007 M6 that watchjrgo picked up for about $4k. Needs some sort of engine work (was quoted at $3,200 for parts and labor, I think), and they also found a severely leaking steering rack. Could be a nice driver if he continues to clean it up cosmetically.
  • Options
    Haven’t seen the latest episode but it needs crank bearings I think. Something putting metal chunks in the bottom end.

A car that complicated owned by someone that stuck house siding on it as trim, is a bit worrisome.

• Options
    That sounds right. I thought the house siding was hilarious. The mechanic pronounced the SMG clutch to be good. It looks much better now that he's taken off the rest of the wrap and decals, the giant wing, and most or all of the fake carbon fiber. The replacement of the OE infotainment screen with some sort of aftermarket that tries to integrate with the factory system concerns me, but it seems to work properly so far.

The carbon fiber roof looks awful, looks like that car spent a lot of time outside. I wonder whether there is a repair process, or whether it's easier/cheaper to just get a wrap put on (you could even get a fake carbon fiber wrap to cover the damaged real carbon fiber roof). I saw on his Titan how sensitive wraps are to the surface underneath--most imperfections will telegraph through, so it might need some surface prep before adding a wrap.
  • Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Also read the guys responses to simple questions as puzzling. Doubt he did most of the work asked about. How hard is it to keep all receipts in a big envelope or manila envelope holder? Tend to keep mine in the glove compartment but put them in order of big ticket items. Things like tire rotations/light stuff, go into a separate holder. New tires, battery, oil changes all go where I can get to them easily if needed for warranty work if ever needed. I did get rid of the paperwork for the set of tires no longer on the vehicle as it just seemed pointless but if needed, can just get them from T P. Current sneakers are from Goodyear, first time there, but those are where they are supposed to be, in the glove compartment. Once I do trade-in, throw out all the paperwork especially if it's to a dealer.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    I keep the records, largely for my own use so I will know exactly what was done and when. And if I end up selling privately, will show it if asked (I would list out in the ad). And if there is something warranty related I will leave that in the car (but only if sanitized). But I don't give it to the dealer since they don't seem to actually care (and they have to throw it out anyway).

• Options
    edited July 2020

Also read the guys responses to simple questions as puzzling. Doubt he did most of the work asked about. How hard is it to keep all receipts in a big envelope or manila envelope holder? Tend to keep mine in the glove compartment but put them in order of big ticket items. Things like tire rotations/light stuff, go into a separate holder. New tires, battery, oil changes all go where I can get to them easily if needed for warranty work if ever needed. I did get rid of the paperwork for the set of tires no longer on the vehicle as it just seemed pointless but if needed, can just get them from T P. Current sneakers are from Goodyear, first time there, but those are where they are supposed to be, in the glove compartment. Once I do trade-in, throw out all the paperwork especially if it's to a dealer.

I just have my “guy” print out all the receipts.

Still not back to work up here but my network of contacts tell me that Enterprise just bought 40,000 cars from Hertz. Mostly new stuff with a few thousand miles. Make of that what you will.

• Options
    they smelled a bargain?

I wonder what their actual plan is though. Not likely that air travel (and airport rentals) is rebounding fully any time soon. Maybe aiming toward more local rentals to people without cars that previously would have bussed/trained/short hop flew but now want to drive instead?

Wonder if Hertz is going to be disappearing from airports, or the local offices, hence the shedding of units?

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    edited July 2020
    Michaell said:

I mentioned earlier this week that my wife spotted and admired the MB C-Class.

So, in honor of the holiday - and my anniversary - I decided to test drive this:

https://www.mercedesoflittleton.com/new-Littleton-2020-Mercedes+Benz-+-C+300+4MATIC-WDDWJ8EB3LF975406

A few thoughts.

I had to lower the seat all the way to fit - and even then, the pano roof still encroached on my headroom. Once I got situated, I was pretty comfortable and the sightlines were not as obscured as I expected them to be.

Loved the interior color - it went well with the grey exterior. It was equipped with both the Burmester (sp?) audio system and the digital, configurable dash. Cool feature but way too many options. Took me a couple of minutes to just get the tach to display. I suspect that after some time, it would become familiar.

Typical test drive - 4 right turns. I was able to get it onto the highway. I had the car in "comfort" mode for the test drive, and I found it comfortable enough. Certainly more sporty than the Outback - it had better be!.

I think the engine has about the same amount of power as the Outback (250HP, give or take), and the 9 speed transmission was fine at speed, but noticed some jerkiness at low speed. Not sure if that's common, or not. Certainly quick enough, but you can tell it's a 4-cyl turbo from the sound.

Despite the inclusion of the pano roof, the stereo upgrade and the digital dash, I was surprised to discover it didn't have adaptive cruise. Seems like a big omission on a $54K car.

I'm sure if I found a CPO car for $25K less, I might feel differently about it. Just seemed like a lot of money.

And, as I was telling @breld and @jpp75, I just wasn't comfortable at the dealer. I'm fine when I visit Audi and BMW dealers, just don't know what it is about MB.

Funny, I experienced driving my first Helen Keller ACC car this Holiday weekend in the '19 Tiguan in our road trip up the valley. I hated it.

Absolutely hated it. Horrible feature. Can't stand it. First, it takes off my cruise control power way too early, so when I'm getting ready to change lanes to pass, just at the moment I want to keep speed or speed up even to change lanes, it deactivates and slows me down due to a car way in front of me, turning off the "GO" pedal. They need to increase the following distance threshold by another 250 feet. Could it be the automatic braking?

Either way, the Helen Keller features need to go in the round file. I deactivated it.

Add this to my list of features that are a waste of weight, even if that weight is only a few Megabytes on the solid state data drive in the computer's brain:

1. Lane keep assist
    2. Navigation (prefer real-time updated sources)
    3. Automatic forward braking
    4. Automatic Cruise control

Features that need some additional tuning but are passable include:
    1. Blind Spot monitors.
    2. Cross traffic back up alerts; haven't experienced or tested this yet, but seems worthwhile to have given the way people tend to drive in parking lots.

Bright spots in the '19 Tiguan include:

1. While not a speedster, the 2.0T has plenty of reserve torque to shoot past all the drivers that forget you need to push the "go" pedal a bit more to maintain speed up the grapevine inclines. The torque plays major dividends on mountains.
    2. The 8-speed auto seems to be even better tuned and programmed than in my 4 year older '15 A4. Fantastically smooth transmission; though a DSG would be even more efficient (MPG) and faster. Also, VW inheriting the 8-speed auto for this car is a "BONUS" in the non-luxury category.
    3. Very roomy and easily swallowed our new doggy crate and luggage for 3 plus for our new dog (French Bulldog - 3 months old - doesn't like traveling by car, always throws up; name's Keyser (as in Keyser Soze from the Usual Suspects).
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    stickguy said:

they smelled a bargain?

I wonder what their actual plan is though. Not likely that air travel (and airport rentals) is rebounding fully any time soon. Maybe aiming toward more local rentals to people without cars that previously would have bussed/trained/short hop flew but now want to drive instead?

Wonder if Hertz is going to be disappearing from airports, or the local offices, hence the shedding of units?

It’s funny you say that. At least locally, both companies are open at the airport but Hertz has it’s branch offices open while Enterprise does not.

• Options
    edited July 2020

I, too, feel out of place at MB dealers and I can’t explain why. Well, actually I can. I’ve found the experience to be overly formal with a lot of, what I perceived to be, fake niceness. No one is mean, it’s just awkward.

Audi and BMW I’ve found to be more laid back all around. More car guys seem to be at those dealers, too, and that is definitely more my speed.

I have found both the MB and BMW of San Diego dealerships to be a bit pretentious. Someone that pulls up in an Audi should command attention and respect :smile: or at least when you mention you own an Audi if they didn't see what you pulled up in.

While if someone owned a lemon Audi, the jig might work, it doesn't work when they act like MB or BMW are a lot snottier/better than Audi, and I actually have liked and enjoyed my past Audi's. It's a turnoff. :disappointed:

Now if I drove up in a Neon and they said "I'm shocked you made it here without a tow truck, we'll give you $8 bucks for it." I'd laugh and buy a car that same day for sure! :smile:
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    Maybe Enterprise is going to sell of their old units and replace them with lower mileage ones, rather than buy new.
  • Options

Funny about doc fees...some dealers act is if it’s a constitutional amendment they have to follow.

First time I tried to negotiate it away was probably 20 years ago. Can’t remember the car, but I was sitting in F&I and here comes the doc fee on the paperwork. Telling the F&I guy I couldn’t understand why a) it was so high, and b) why I couldn’t do the paperwork and filing myself and save what was probably around $100 they were charging for the doc fee.

F&I guy seemed stunned and said, “well, I guess you could if you really wanted to”. I told him I would and to remove the doc fee. Of course, a manager got involved and told me it was a mandatory fee and that it covered their processing of the paperwork, loan docs, etc at which time I told him I had my own financing in place that that I would file everything with the BMV. He was befuddled, too.

Ended up, they dropped the doc fee and did the paperwork anyway.

That was the beginning of my “here’s my offer, all in” way of negotiations. Some dealers who I’ve done business with before “get” how my offers work. Some, have no clue what it is I’m doing and still try to add fees into my one, all-in offer.

Might be more palatable if they offered real value with their doc fees. But, mostly it’s just filing on online and maybe firing up the printer for a few docs. $100? $200? $300? $500? For that service? No thanks. I’ll walk out of the dealership.

I wonder if it is more of "pretend to mistake" your offer as not all-in, rather than be "clueless" about what you mean by all-in. By pretending it was just a "subtotal" offer, they can try and extract more money from you, and they can more easily say "yes" to the offer if they add in a bunch of below the line add-ons. I have a feeling some prefer a "misunderstanding" to saying "no" to an offer. In other words, wasting time.
  • Options
    Andre, one thing to check is the settings on the cruise. When I first tried in on my TLX (first car with ACC) I hated it. slowed down hard when I could barely see the car ahead. Figured out (after having it pointed out here) that it was adjustable, and the default was max sensitivity. Once I dialed that down to minimum, it was much better. But I know what you mean about it deciding to hammer the brakes at the wrong time. With the flip side, when you get cleared, it floors the gas.

I actually hate regular cruise control. I almost never use it, since I only trust it on an empty highway, and you don't find many of those in the NE corridor. Too stressful, since I hover my foot over the brake pedal anyway. At least I know the ACC won't run into someone! Still almost never use it. I have to put my right foot someplace, might as well be on the gas pedal. I can hypermile better anyway, since cruise always seems to be dropping down gears on any slight incline.

I personally think BLIS is an excellent feature as added protection, but cross path is the best. Especially when you drive a low sedan in a world of billboard trucks. Much less stressful trying to back out of a parking spot.

Lane keep, that just gets annoying.

• Options
    corvette said:

CASCADE failure! You learn about that in the movie "Passengers"

It doesn't take electronics to have cascading failures though, just bad engineering or product.
  • Options
    fintail said:

Speaking of dealers and looking, I browsed a handful of dealers this afternoon - MB, Porsche, Audi, BMW, Jag/LR, VW, Subaru, Toyota. These are all within several minutes of each other, some next door, so it is efficient. All dealerships were open, and all had some foot traffic. MB, BMW, Jag, and Toyota seemed relatively busy for a holiday, maybe with so little else going on, people wanted something to do. Everyone was wearing masks, and there was obvious signage about the facilities being cleaned.

MB: I instantly encountered the salesman who dealt with me on the wagon. He greeted me by name, but was with a customer. I walked the lot and looked and the showroom. Nothing really got me going, but there was something - a 140K+ S560 coupe without Distronic. Some kind of weird abandoned special order I suspect - it had a Designo paint color (an unusual dark red) and interior, but virtually zero other options and no adaptive cruise that can be had on many mainstream cars.

Porsche: I only walked the lot, didn't encounter any salespeople. Saw a few Taycan, all had MSRP within a few hundred dollars of each other, 169K. CUVs outnumbered cars maybe 3:1.

Audi: I only walked the lot, didn't feel like checking out the small showroom. Didn't encounter any salespeople, they had tons of CUVs, no hot car models that I could see.

BMW: visited the new facility for the first time. Very nice place, with something from every model in the huge showroom - mildly reminiscent of the new car section of BMW Welt in Munich. I was greeted by a salesman, I explained I was just passing time and browsing. Most appealing car to me was a M2C in blue. There were some wacky things, like a loaded 760 at something like 180K, and some high spec 8ers with big prices.

Jag/LR: walked the lots and showroom, was greeted by a salesman who was a car guy, and we chatted. He saw my wagon and mentioned the Jag Sportbrake. Saw lots of IPace, LR had a ton of stuff including a couple new Defender, priced around 75K. A couple of Range Rover Autobiography MSRP well over 200K IIRC were amusing - makes a G-Wagen seem sensible.

VW: walked the lot, avoided the small showroom. Lots of selection, greeted by a salesman was I was leaving. Good mix of cars and CUVs. Only one Arteon, but I suspect that will sell in small numbers anyway.

Subaru: walked the lot, avoided the small showroom. Didn't meet any salespeople. Appeared to have a full lineup in stock. Subaru and VW are adjacent, under the same umbrella, and are relatively small.

Toyota: walked the lot, avoided the showroom. Was met by a salesman, who chatted me up, a car guy, and he noticed the wagon. He had some questions about my car, which was fun. The numerous flavors of 4Runner caught my eye, along with a Landcruiser "heritage" or something, with a retro badge. It looks kind of retro inside too, like 2005. There was one Supra outside, MSRP around 60K, no ADM.

A couple pics: No, this is not my car, but close. This one is the same exterior color and wheels, but has a different (Designo beige/brown leather) interior, and lacks a few interior options had by my car. MSRP 83K:

So much variety!

That Audi picture is probably why the North American Audi Club now allows SUV's into the "A" Beginner's group at HPDE track weekend events. SUV's used to be banned for high center of gravity and weight issues.