Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    andres3 said:

corvette said:

You’re driving fine German engineering, there’s a CEL for the CEL. :'(

Anything is possible. As a follow up to my E85 experiment in the Tundra, it turns out the freak-out it had wasn't caused by my scan tool, it was legitimately due to the "engine running lean" code causing a cascade of other issues, and generating malfunction codes for the ABS system, combination meter, trailer brake controller, ECU communication circuit, instrument cluster, and BCM. Now, there is no way that all of that stuff should go haywire just on account of out-of-spec fuel, but I guess this is the world that we live in with modern vehicle electronics.
    CASCADE failure! You learn about that in the movie "Passengers"

It doesn't take electronics to have cascading failures though, just bad engineering or product.
    Yup, kind of like the "beam shake" that plagued GMT800 pickups in the early 2000s. Normal concrete highway undulation + poor chassis dynamics + no weight in the bed + crummy OEM tires with poor road force variance = vibrations.

I've mostly gotten used to the ACC on the Tundra. I generally set the distance to the minimum, and even then, sometimes it slows down just as I'm changing lanes to pass someone on the interstate. If I'm stuck on a long interstate stretch where it's closed down to one lane and I know I won't be passing anyone, I usually increase the distance to the max to avoid it riding the brakes unnecessarily.
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    edited July 2020
    https://carsandbids.com/auctions/9aLaW1yo/2007-audi-rs4

Any predictions? Could be a fun $20,000 toy. I wonder if I called Pure MS in San Diego if they'd divulge the "insider info" on the car.

It's not like there is a HIPPA release form for car records....
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    edited July 2020
    ACC in the Volvo is the best I’ve experienced. I’m not sure what the programming is, but when you activate the left turn signal to change lanes and pass, the vehicle “preps” itself to accelerate and does so quickly. The overall operation is just a step or two smoother than others I’ve owned, including Audi, Land Rover and Toyota.

I get the reaction that some, if not many, of these features are overly intrusive, but I personally am thankful they exist and are being continuously improved upon - partially for my own driving but more so for the cars around me...like the one that’s tailing me too closely or the one next to me with the driver veering into my lane while they check messages.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,139
    CUVs?

I wonder if they are cannibalizing sales from Audi cars or from other designer handbags on wheels like the Lexus RX. Lately the various Audi soft roaders seem to be very popular among the local Stepford set.
    andres3 said:

That Audi picture is probably why the North American Audi Club now allows SUV's into the "A" Beginner's group at HPDE track weekend events. SUV's used to be banned for high center of gravity and weight issues.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,513
    pretty car. Probably fun. seems to have been maintained, but still lot of miles, and an oil leak that can't be traced by 2 mechanics? Not promising unless you have very deep pockets and don't care about dipping into them! as usual on one of these auctions, an "expert" in the comments seems to be confident they know what is the problem (nothing that $3,000 and the engine out can't fix!) Though seller says it never needs oil between changes, so what the heck, let is seep!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

not at all my style of car, but I love the color combo on this. And for big sedans, just a beautiful, timeless design in and out. Wish they could still make cars like this instead of much of the overwrought stuff a lot of companies are producing.

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/KdDXMqOL/1989-mercedes-benz-420-sel

Here’s an SUV we all can get behind...

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/814775975/overview/

Someone here should buy this. Clean Carfax, under 100k miles, sport seats with the 6 speed manual.

I like it. Not sure if the picture reflected or not, but looked like a lot of pixel issues on the antique display screen!

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,604
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,385
    An X5 with the M54 and a 6spd. Rare bird.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
    Price looks OK now, much more and it will approach market correct. 126s can be worth good money, but they have to be low miles and really pristine. That one, with the rare color combo, wheelarch chrome, chrome wheels with Sir Mix-A-Lot gold center caps, is very "1989 California". I think the 126 will always be regarded as the pinnacle of S-class - to think, that design was almost 10 years old when the car was made.
    stickguy said:

not at all my style of car, but I love the color combo on this. And for big sedans, just a beautiful, timeless design in and out. Wish they could still make cars like this instead of much of the overwrought stuff a lot of companies are producing.

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/KdDXMqOL/1989-mercedes-benz-420-sel

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646

Maybe Enterprise is going to sell of their old units and replace them with lower mileage ones, rather than buy new.

I’m sure there are bean counters figuring it out to the penny.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

tifighter said:
    I wonder how long it will take hackers to bypass all that nonsense. How long do you have to subscribe for. Paying for heated seats in the summer would seem like a rip off.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    Wonder why the seller tinted the glass so dark? At least compared to auction pics from June 10. Nasty looking front wheels and engine compartment pic. Rare but not exactly loved.

Minor dent/scratches stated on the auction site and pic #4 shows right rear lens damage.

Cleaned and detailed nicely by seller. No mention of any body repair but as stated has clean carfax.
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,081
    fintail said:

Price looks OK now, much more and it will approach market correct. 126s can be worth good money, but they have to be low miles and really pristine. That one, with the rare color combo, wheelarch chrome, chrome wheels with Sir Mix-A-Lot gold center caps, is very "1989 California". I think the 126 will always be regarded as the pinnacle of S-class - to think, that design was almost 10 years old when the car was made.

Too bad about the dashpad crack. Glad they got rid of 2 of the 3 grille badges, I'd lose the third one too.

I didn't realize that M-B was still somewhat malaise-y in 1989 with the engine only putting out 220hp. Not as fast as I would have expected one of these to be.

The big ughknown here is the lack of info on whether the major services have actually been done. One can only assume they haven't been, which means $$$.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760

stickguy said:

they smelled a bargain?

I wonder what their actual plan is though. Not likely that air travel (and airport rentals) is rebounding fully any time soon. Maybe aiming toward more local rentals to people without cars that previously would have bussed/trained/short hop flew but now want to drive instead?

Wonder if Hertz is going to be disappearing from airports, or the local offices, hence the shedding of units?

It’s funny you say that. At least locally, both companies are open at the airport but Hertz has it’s branch offices open while Enterprise does not.
    Bankruptcy does not mean they are going out of business.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

breld said:

Someone here should buy this. Clean Carfax, under 100k miles, sport seats with the 6 speed manual.

X5 sticks are Uber-rare

We test drove an '05 X3 with stick for my son, at one point, but just too pricey. Cool, though

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Where the heck did that come from? Auction site looks like it’s in Europe!

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,304
    I think it was in Poland.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    kyfdx said:

stickguy said:

they smelled a bargain?

I wonder what their actual plan is though. Not likely that air travel (and airport rentals) is rebounding fully any time soon. Maybe aiming toward more local rentals to people without cars that previously would have bussed/trained/short hop flew but now want to drive instead?

Wonder if Hertz is going to be disappearing from airports, or the local offices, hence the shedding of units?

It’s funny you say that. At least locally, both companies are open at the airport but Hertz has it’s branch offices open while Enterprise does not.
    I was talking to my friend who works for Hertz about that subject. Hertz isn’t going anywhere but they could be bought up by another company. There’s been a lot of consolidation in the past 20 years.

I even hear that Elon Musk is interested in a position so he can put more of his cars out on the road.

If they aren’t shutting down, they at least are scaling back if they are unloading a bunch of cars.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933
    breld said:

Has been sitting at virtually the same miles for 2 years. A similar one sold at auction in Chicago in May for $2700. Soooo.... nope, I’d steer clear of that at that price.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

edited July 2020

I think it was in Poland.

Odd. So a US car, being listed to sell overseas?

stickguy said:

If they aren’t shutting down, they at least are scaling back if they are unloading a bunch of cars.

They probably need to raise a bunch of cash.

Nice sleuth work on the X5 all.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,000
    I'm pretty sure I know what the consensus will be on this, but looking for your opinions:

https://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/62007/honda/accord/buying-a-used-2013-honda-accord-with-a-salvage-rebuilt-title#latest

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

edited July 2020
    Old MB dash pads, really well into the 90s, don't like UV exposure. I see it a lot, especially on darker colors, especially blue for some reason.

The only grille badges I can tolerate are club-related. Please no souvenir badges. In 1989 this was still a platform that entered production in 1979 and had an engine design from 1985. 220hp wasn't too shabby then, but I suspect Euro models had 10-20% more hp. Unless one has a good paper trail, always buy one of these like it needs a visit to the shop to deal with deferred maintenance.
    ab348 said:

Too bad about the dashpad crack. Glad they got rid of 2 of the 3 grille badges, I'd lose the third one too.

I didn't realize that M-B was still somewhat malaise-y in 1989 with the engine only putting out 220hp. Not as fast as I would have expected one of these to be.

The big ughknown here is the lack of info on whether the major services have actually been done. One can only assume they haven't been, which means $$$.

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited July 2020
    Hoovie needs $5,500 of work done on his BMW 7-series. It's about 20 years old, but it only has 80k miles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcDyiC5kbAo
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
    I always loved that design.

E38, especially with sport trim, was maybe peak 7er. I don't mind E32 and E23 either, but since, seems to be aiming for S-class too hard, when it should be its own thing.
    Proves once again, you buy one of these after the rich guy that took the bath. Because after hoovie dumps all that money in, probably not worth any more. And of course, they are never completely sorted. Always something else waiting to go wrong!

stickguy said:

Proves once again, you buy one of these after the rich guy that took the bath. Because after hoovie dumps all that money in, probably not worth any more. And of course, they are never completely sorted. Always something else waiting to go wrong!

Didn’t Hoovie actually clear a profit on that 93’ Camaro?

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,418
    Anybody watch Doug's video on the Reatta?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

nyccarguy said:

Anybody watch Doug's video on the Reatta?

I always liked those. The time to get one was 3-4 years ago when they hit rock bottom. Prices have doubled since then.

edited July 2020
    I like this:
    https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/815342287/overview/

EDIT: Nevermind, title is rebuilt.

stickguy said:

Didn’t Hoovie actually clear a profit on that 93’ Camaro?
    Nope - apparently still wasn't enough - I suspect if the AC hadn't kicked the bucket he might have.
    Nice! Xenons, too. and, manual sport seats!

If it were only RWD... not bad, though

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I think my obsession has moved from lease hacking to buying old european cars that will be guaranteed to break my heart.

well, if your goal is to become a youtube "star", that is definitely the way to go.

kyfdx said:

Nice! Xenons, too. and, manual sport seats!

If it were only RWD... not bad, though
    I do like that one. But yeah, needs to be RWD. I remember seeing one some years back on CL local for IIRC about that price. Green, stick, RWD. Little did I know it was time to hoard them. I believe it was during a period that I was in no position to buy anything though. If I could find a clean stick RWD wagon I would buy it as a spare car. Good as anything else!

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,604
    fintail said:

E38, especially with sport trim, was maybe peak 7er. I don't mind E32 and E23 either, but since, seems to be aiming for S-class too hard, when it should be its own thing.

I do have a soft spot for the E23. A neighbor had one when I was a kid. Probably an 86, white, 735i. Liked it then, like it now.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

kyfdx said:

stickguy said:

they smelled a bargain?

I was talking to my friend who works for Hertz about that subject. Hertz isn’t going anywhere but they could be bought up by another company. There’s been a lot of consolidation in the past 20 years.

I even hear that Elon Musk is interested in a position so he can put more of his cars out on the road.
    I hope Hertz doesn't get Teslas, knowing their business model on gas charges, they'll take the market rate for electricity/power, multiply by 5, and then charge you by how many minutes it takes to recharge it, unless of course, you take the time to charge it yourself.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    fintail said:

CUVs?

I wonder if they are cannibalizing sales from Audi cars or from other designer handbags on wheels like the Lexus RX. Lately the various Audi soft roaders seem to be very popular among the local Stepford set.

andres3 said:

That Audi picture is probably why the North American Audi Club now allows SUV's into the "A" Beginner's group at HPDE track weekend events. SUV's used to be banned for high center of gravity and weight issues.

For me these terms are interchangeable:

CUV=SUV
    Wagon=Hatchback=Sportback=Avant

I know CUV's are more like tall wagons, but that's the way I look at it.

Now you have to add this:

4-Door Coupe = sportback

It seems all the latest sedans follow the A7 design bandwagon, and funny enough, I'm not a fan of it.

A 4-Door RS5 makes practical utilitarian sense, but 4 door coupes are just a bit odd to me.
    I still think there is a distinction between CUV and SUV. SUV is the (dwindling at this point) "trucky" UVs. So a Tahoe, 4 runner, etc. CUV is just a soft roader, AKA a glorified tall AWD hatchback (and car based).

And wagons are wagons!

I think my obsession has moved from lease hacking to buying old european cars that will be guaranteed to break.

Fixed that for you. :sunglasses:

stickguy said:

I still think there is a distinction between CUV and SUV. SUV is the (dwindling at this point) "trucky" UVs. So a Tahoe, 4 runner, etc. CUV is just a soft roader, AKA a glorified tall AWD hatchback (and car based).

And wagons are wagons!

Don't mention the glorified soft roader to my wife. She wanted an "SUV" and got the Tiguan. She's happy enough with it; that's what counts. Funny enough, you can find most of them at the dealer aren't even AWD.

edited July 2020
    Wasn't it Jalopnik that used to play the game, "How much money can we make Carmax lose on an extended warranty?"

I think a Land Rover was the clear winner.
    if you live in an area without snow, FWD is really fine for any of these. Especially smaller ones that are not all that powerful.

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    I see JR got the doors put on his Copart Kia Optima, then put it on a frame rack to pull out the B-pillar. It looked like the frame work was "off the books" (done on July 4th, I think), so will be interesting to see if he accounts for it if he does any calculations on profit/loss.