Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buying a used 2013 Honda accord with a salvage/rebuilt title

HunterLRichardsonHunterLRichardson Member Posts: 3
edited July 2020 in Honda
I am looking at the car to purchase for $7000, but the car currently has a salvage title but has told me he has all the needed documents for the rebuilt title but hasn't done it himself because "they would charge the customer more for registration" if it were a rebuilt title and not a salvage title. Is this normal or am I being played?

Comments

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,390
    Run, don’t walk, away. 2013 Accords should be a dime a dozen, there is zero reason to buy a rebuilt title car. Just remember, there is a reason the insurance company chose to total it.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • HunterLRichardsonHunterLRichardson Member Posts: 3
    What about a 2016 honda civic 2.0l with 38k miles for $8,500, but with the same situation that it has a salvage title and person says he has all the information to get the rebuilt title but hasn't yet because it would cost more to transfer the title as a rebuilt than a salvage.
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,237

What about a 2016 honda civic 2.0l with 38k miles for $8,500, but with the same situation that it has a salvage title and person says he has all the information to get the rebuilt title but hasn't yet because it would cost more to transfer the title as a rebuilt than a salvage.

I think the same advice applies.

Why are you looking to procure a vehicle with a salvage title, in the first place?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• HunterLRichardsonHunterLRichardson Member Posts: 3
    Michaell said:

I think the same advice applies.

Why are you looking to procure a vehicle with a salvage title, in the first place?
    I've got to go back to school in the fall, and I need a new car since my 1999 honda accord was totaled last year so I have been looking mostly on craigslist for a cheap but reliable car, but seems to me most cars on there have been salvage or rebuilt titles so I might start looking at dealership cars now.
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,660
    Look up the laws and definitions in your state. From what I know a salvage title basically makes a car unregisterable, uninsurable and illegal to drive. It has to be inspected by the state for safety and absence of stolen parts. Then it gets a rebuilt title which clears it for use.

My guess is that these cars can not pass those inspections and the seller knows it. Even if you can get the proper title have the car inspected by a mechanic or body man and run insuring it past your insurance company.

Personally I’d pass unless I knew exactly what the damages were.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    You can find an unmolested un-ruined Honda, just look harder and farther; they'll be much more reliable than any salvage or "rebuilt" product.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Don't even THINK about buying a car with a branded title! Many insurance companies will only sell you liability insurance and banks wont finance! You could get lucky or maybe not. When it's time to sell it it'll be near saleproof! Don't be tempted by a low price. These are NOT a bargain!