Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,140
    I was thinking that Colony park was Missy/Mom's car in Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, but it looks like I was a little off:

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311

“Doesn't get to that 1% goal as far as I can tell.“

I know little about leases. What is the 1% goal.

https://www.leaseguide.com/articles/one-percent-rule-car-leasing/#:~:text=our cell phones.-,The One Percent Rule,less, the better the deal.

"The One Percent Rule
    The so-called “one-percent” method of sizing up a lease offer is based on the concept of dividing the monthly payment (not including sales tax, if any) by the MSRP sticker price of the car. If the result is very close to 1%, or less, the better the deal.

This method is designed for standard leases of 36 months and 10,000-12,000 annual milage allowance. To evaluate other leases, use our Lease Deal Calculator.

Let’s look at an example.

Say the car you want to lease has a sticker price of $30,000 and the offered monthly payment (without sales tax) is $290 (with no down payment). We divide 290 by 30,000 to get .0096, which is .96%. It’s less than 1%, which makes this an outstanding deal — not very common."
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
    edited July 2020
    If you qualify for the conquest bonus this lease gives monthly payments (with the downpayment divided by 36 and added to the 299) of about 1% of the msrp.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,308
    How does the amount due at signing factor into the 1% calculation?
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,036

You have to amortize that over the lease term, as well.

It's really more of a guideline, not a rule.

Some vehicles, and brands, won't get anywhere near 1%. Other models can be leased for .6% or .7% of MSRP.

@kyfdx and I see lots of posts where the members are determined to achieve 1%, when it's not possible.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

edited July 2020
    Michaell said:

....Other models can be leased for .6% or .7% of MSRP....

What are those vehicles?

If the lease numbers on a Volvo S60 are that good when my lease ends I might test drive one of those.
    benjaminh said:

Michaell said:

What are those vehicles?

If the lease numbers on a Volvo S60 are that good when my lease ends I might test drive one of those.
    I answer over a hundred lease queries a day, and I don't keep track of which makes and models lease best.

Generally, the cars that don't sell well tend to have better lease programs.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421

breld said:

nyccarguy said:

benjaminh said:

We're working at home now, and so I can drive my wife's CR-V pretty much any time I want. And she's encouraging me to do that at least sometimes to keep the miles off of the Acura. Yesterday as I was driving the CR-V, and noticing the somewhat soul-sucking quality of the CVT, I finally also noticed a little green leaf icon in the dashboard lights. I remembered that when we got the car more than two years ago my wife right away pushed the green leaf econ button. Well, by pushing it again I finally turned the darn thing off. Immediate improvement in performance and acceleration. The CVT/1.5 turbo combination still isn't my favorite, but it's better. Half of what I thought was turbo lag on the CR-V was really that gosh-darned econ button.

That Econ button cuts the car’s balls off.
    LOL! That conjures up different symbols they could use for that button other than the green leaf.
    This should appear on the main telematics screen:

I know a squealer when I see one.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Michaell said:

Some vehicles, and brands, won't get anywhere near 1%. Other models can be leased for .6% or .7% of MSRP.

@kyfdx and I see lots of posts where the members are determined to achieve 1%, when it's not possible.
    Love the car 1st, then worry about the best deal you can get given the lease program for the given month.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

nyccarguy said:

Michaell said:

Love the car 1st, then worry about the best deal you can get given the lease program for the given month.
    So much this. The thrill of a good deal wears off and then you realize you’re stuck with something you can’t stand driving.
    There are folks who register to the forums, then blast a dozen or more lease threads, searching for numbers.

I'll have to intervene and ask them if they are shopping for a car, or a deal. Often, they haven't done any other research, or test drives, before filling out their spreadsheet.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    edited July 2020
    benjaminh said:

“Doesn't get to that 1% goal as far as I can tell.“

I know little about leases. What is the 1% goal.

https://www.leaseguide.com/articles/one-percent-rule-car-leasing/#:~:text=our cell phones.-,The One Percent Rule,less, the better the deal.

"The One Percent Rule
    The so-called “one-percent” method of sizing up a lease offer is based on the concept of dividing the monthly payment (not including sales tax, if any) by the MSRP sticker price of the car. If the result is very close to 1%, or less, the better the deal.

This method is designed for standard leases of 36 months and 10,000-12,000 annual milage allowance. To evaluate other leases, use our Lease Deal Calculator.

Let’s look at an example.

Say the car you want to lease has a sticker price of $30,000 and the offered monthly payment (without sales tax) is $290 (with no down payment). We divide 290 by 30,000 to get .0096, which is .96%. It’s less than 1%, which makes this an outstanding deal — not very common."
    Thank you for exposing that. Darn that spell check, I typed EXPLAINING. :@

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

Here’s a chance to be part of the Saratoga Springs socialite set. The estate of Marylou Whitney is selling her ‘92 Jag. 36k miles. Worth it?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,907
    I’d rock it.... but my wallet would dissolve into thin air quickly!

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349
    I always liked the coupe. They were pretty well sorted by the end of the model run- though it’s definitely not for folks who go to the dealer to get wipers installed or to add a quart of oil.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Michaell said:

benjaminh said:

Michaell said:

What are those vehicles?

I answer over a hundred lease queries a day, and I don't keep track of which makes and models lease best.

If that’s true how come when my in-laws went to lease a 2016 Dodge/Fiat Dart the lease was $370+ on a $20k sticker with a $2k rebate? Those were such poor sellers they discontinued them after that year. I know the lease terms were so wacky (40% residual after 36 months) that they bought the car outright. Financed it for 84 months.

I tried talking them out of it but after my BIL said “well, we REALLY need a car RIGHT NOW” in front of the salesman, I knew there was nothing I could do.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,517
    a $370 payment on a Dart? yowzers,

That Jag, pretty. perfect colors for one (well, add a tan roof maybe, but paint and interior are right!) I know where her house is, so I can swing in and pick it up, no problem.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,140
    Is my reading poor this morning, or is their no price on the XJS?

Something like that is probably low teens on a good day if it is really pristine. Be sure to know a sympathetic mechanic or have a well-stocked personal shop.
    since some of you are fans of/interested in an RDX at some point, a quick vacation update from our trip to the shore. The car swallowed more stuff than I expected with the back seats down. I think it held more than the old one. Not as cavernous as an Enclave or some such, but also not a barge. The Strunk (sub-trunk) feature is really nice. Lots of extra capacity, and fully hidden. I filled those cubbies up first and was surprised at how much stuff disappeared in them.

car also loves to run on an open road. very easy to look down and be doing 80 without realizing it (still barely over 2K in 10th gear).

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    Funny you mention that. We were at a local Honda store on Friday and saw a new 2020 Civic sedan in a burnt red color, beautiful color. Sat inside and didn't hate it at all actually, as it was quite nice! Not sure of it's dimensions but think it would fit with no problem. And I'd have to go with the hatch as the sedan did nothing for me, prefer the look with the hatch.
    The only negative was getting out of it! It's a bit low and since I was suffering from more pain than usual, do remember how I had to use an extra bit of energy to get out. But since I always sit on a cushion in my own vehicle, think it would be more doable for me. It's something I got at the Relax The Back store many years back. It's got that foam material in it and it really gives my lower back the extra soft support it needs.
    So yes, the Honda Civic hatch is definitely on my list but, think there's a new model coming out for 2021 which I'd like to see first. As of Thursday, the leak repair is holding and with the low mileage I do now, think I can put buying off until the 2021 model come out.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Civic hatch is 178" long. The sedan is 183".

It really is low though. I would not consider one if I had any back or mobility/limberness issues.

forgot about the new model. Probably going to be a little bit longer. seems like they always are. and not going to be higher!

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,935

Here’s a chance to be part of the Saratoga Springs socialite set. The estate of Marylou Whitney is selling her ‘92 Jag. 36k miles. Worth it?

I can’t say if it is worth it without knowing what they want for it.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

.... So yes, the Honda Civic hatch is definitely on my list but, think there's a new model coming out for 2021 which I'd like to see first. As of Thursday, the leak repair is holding and with the low mileage I do now, think I can put buying off until the 2021 model come out.

The all-new 11th generation of the Civic will come out in the Spring of 2021 as a 2022 model.

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/07/17/2021-honda-civic-info-dump/
    stickguy said:

a $370 payment on a Dart? yowzers,

That Jag, pretty. perfect colors for one (well, add a tan roof maybe, but paint and interior are right!) I know where her house is, so I can swing in and pick it up, no problem.

I just assumed that you and Mary Lou were pals. Maybe you can grab some of her famous hats that she wore to the track while you’re there. B)

edited July 2020
    fintail said:

Is my reading poor this morning, or is their no price on the XJS?

Something like that is probably low teens on a good day if it is really pristine. Be sure to know a sympathetic mechanic or have a well-stocked personal shop.

It’s an auction for charity. Somewhat confusing since the site says bidding doesn’t start until tomorrow but the current bid is $10,000.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,308
    I had to look her up. Several prominent names in the family history.
    Maybe the 10k bid is the suggested opening bid?
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    they were Saratoga "royalty". Sadly I just drive past her house when we go to the track. Never been invited in.

@graphicguy - did you drive an ILX last week at some point? What did you think? I saw a couple of White ASpec models that looked sharp.

@stickguy - I’m glad you are happy with your RDX. I saw a Black (Non-ASpec) today that I liked. The guy was Movin’ too.

Maybe it's just me, but I wonder if the Acura designers were in part almost doing an homage to the cockpit of something like a 1961 Thunderbird with the 2021 TLX....

not a color combo I would want, but this seems like a good deal for someone that wants an "old school" sedan like this. Nice low miles too.

https://www.royaleasing.com/details-2017-honda-accord_sedan-ex~l_v6_automatic_w_navi_and_honda_sensing-used-1hgcr3f03ha019578.html

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,085
    I doubt the Acura designers would ever have even seen a vintage Thunderbird, much less have taken inspiration from it.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

stickguy said:

not a color combo I would want, but this seems like a good deal for someone that wants an "old school" sedan like this. Nice low miles too.

https://www.royaleasing.com/details-2017-honda-accord_sedan-ex~l_v6_automatic_w_navi_and_honda_sensing-used-1hgcr3f03ha019578.html

Interesting that 12,000 miles a year is extremely low miles these days.

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    nyccarguy said:

@graphicguy - did you drive an ILX last week at some point? What did you think? I saw a couple of White ASpec models that looked sharp.

I did. Generally, it’s a smaller version of the TLX. Handled a lot better, but was a bit slower. Very light on its feet. Honda 4 cyl that comes in it was smooth as glass. Fun car to drive. Wouldn’t want to transport more than two people in it.

Comes with the same options I had in my TLX short of the SH-AWD system. As always, careful and precise assembly Acuras are known for.

I think they’re “blowing them out” as far as pricing is concerned. I actually like the styling of them better than that of my old TLX. Nice cars.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    breld said:

I guess I don’t have anything bad to say about the Alltrack, aside from the clutch issue.

Fit and finish and quality of materials was as you’d expect from a Golf. The DSG probably makes the most of the 1.8T engine (@andres3 can speak more to that), but I wouldn’t say that engine is the most inspiring these days.

As an overall package, it’s a very handsome and practical wagon that can be had at great prices with the deep discounts being offered.

If you could stretch to a CPO Allroad it’d be a world of difference.

I think I can answer this..... as far as drive-trains go:
    1. 2.0T (superior) with VERY well executed 8-speed slush box in '19 Tiguan vs:
    2. 1.8T (inferior) with fine-tuned/refined 6-speed DSG in the '17 Alltrack

Winner................... Superior drive train is All Track! Better, likely more expensive, better performing and efficient setup. I miss the All Track!

The 1.8T performs much better with a Stage 1 tune, and in my view, that's a required tune with that engine.

I wonder if the Tiguan could be woken up with a tune.............but why tune a slush-box car? Seems misplaced.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    The advertised wattage for "sound systems" these days is like listening to the IIHS talk about speed-related fatalities. Pretty much meaningless drivel close to 100% of the time.

How about continuous RMS power output please?
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    Michaell said:

benjaminh said:

Michaell said:

What are those vehicles?

IN other words, cars that can't sell without a "payment" buyer looking for a "payment" to purchase. :smile:
    benjaminh said:

Maybe it's just me, but I wonder if the Acura designers were in part almost doing an homage to the cockpit of something like a 1961 Thunderbird with the 2021 TLX....

Not a fan of the IPAD on the dash look.. It looks like other automakers are finally moving away from that fad.

I like the steering wheel. Not sure about the seat pattern.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,790
    corvette said:

If you don't mind my asking, how much are you into the Q7 for, after the dieselgate settlement?

Sorry, I took a bit of a hiatus! Let's see.... all told, including everything I bought that was somewhat peripheral to the original purchase?

I think I was at about $30K post-settlement on the purchase. Add another ~$5,000 for accessories/parts/maintenance (such as winter tires/wheels, trailer hitch, wiring, battery, wheel bearing, struts, block heater, etc., etc.).

If I can manage to sell for $16.9, I guess that would put me a little over $18K on it. Over the course of 3.5 years, that definitely puts it into the "most expensive to own" category as far as my car history goes.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    That’s about $430/month. Weren’t leasing one for that, and including your winter wheels, etc.

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,790
    stickguy said:

That’s about $430/month. Weren’t leasing one for that, and including your winter wheels, etc.

Okay, that's true. Thanks for putting it into perspective for me. Considering some of my cost-per-month vehicles, this one is a top-end outlier, though it is certainly in the territory of reasonable in the grand scheme of things!

For daily drivers, I think my Escort wins on cost-to-own. Over the course of four years, my net outlay on that car was under $3,000, and that includes basically bringing it back from the dead (lot of body, suspension, and drivetrain work).

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    I've had plenty that cost me more than $430/month in depreciation, maintenance, and repairs!
    well, if you want a cheap to run car, get a cheap car not a luxury German barge. At least you got to enjoy a much nicer driving experience.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349
    I budget $400/month to maintain all 5 cars- not including insurance or registration/taxes.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

that doesn't include depreciation though.

edited July 2020
    Our cheapest car ever to run was a '92 Civic Hatchback DX we bought at 10 years old with 166K miles on it. Great decision as it was a good car and cost very little to run 2+ years up to 200K miles. At that point, it was still worth money and suffered less than $1,000 in depreciation.