Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,537
    I don't think I have every really figured out total cost. definitely not with gas, etc. But I know that my best one was probably my TL. Paid $2,000 for it. 5 years later (30,000 miles) sold it for $2,600. Not much maintenance into it. Tires, struts, battery, alternator and some coil packs was about it. Maybe cost me $1000 for 5 years (outside of gas/insurance/etc.).

My 2005 Accord was pretty cheap too. Bought new for about $20,500, sold 8 years later for something like $12K, with a set of tires and rear brakes and a battery about it.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,265
    Other than the TDI buyback, the cheapest was probably the Mustang. Bought and sold a year later for about $500 less, spent $1,000 or so on tires and $500 or so on replacing a seatbelt with pretensioner.
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,652
    stickguy said:

I don't think I have every really figured out total cost. definitely not with gas, etc. But I know that my best one was probably my TL. Paid $2,000 for it. 5 years later (30,000 miles) sold it for $2,600. Not much maintenance into it. Tires, struts, battery, alternator and some coil packs was about it. Maybe cost me $1000 for 5 years (outside of gas/insurance/etc.).

My 2005 Accord was pretty cheap too. Bought new for about $20,500, sold 8 years later for something like $12K, with a set of tires and rear brakes and a battery about it.

I think any old hooptie can be a winner for annual costs. No depreciation to speak of and a lot of repairs can be ignored or done on the cheap with used parts. My old cargo van for example has a yearly cost of about $250.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    breld said:

The upcoming 2021 GTI is evolutionary - some tighter lines and revised lights. Nicely updated interior. But sounds like the powertrain is largely unchanged.

And we were an early adopter when the last new GTI came out for 2015 - there were plenty of first year annoyances with that.

So that’s all to say, if you can get a current model at a nice discount, no one would argue with that value.

Again, just relaying my son’s GTI experience, he’s of the mind that he won’t get another one of the new models. Not sure where he heard any of this, but he says the new versions will be “decontented” with fewer features and cheaper materials. He follows the GTI news pretty closely, too.

He’s not in the market, but he’s interested in the Civic Si or maybe.the Accord Sport 2.0T. He even mentioned that he’d like to look at the Acura ILX. So, he’s jumping into the Honda/Acura fold, or so it appears.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    I found the ILX to be a big downgrade from the TLX. Same drivetrain, maybe even quicker since ways less, but ride , handling, noise were worse.

• ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,195
    corvette said:

Other than the TDI buyback, the cheapest was probably the Mustang. Bought and sold a year later for about $500 less, spent $1,000 or so on tires and $500 or so on replacing a seatbelt with pretensioner.

My ex and I had a del Sol for about a year and a half. Was a 1993 model bought in 2001 for $5000, with a fresh timing belt and clutch. Sixteen months (and maybe 16K miles) later it met its demise when a lumber truck driver didn't check his mirrors before changing lanes. Too short of an ownership experience, so it only mattered so much that insurance paid us more than we paid for it. Didn't end up putting more than regular maintenance into it.

Woefully impractical but the most fun car I've ever owned.
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,390
    Those Del Sols were not especially safe. My cousins had one when I was younger and a delivery truck literally backed up inadvertently and drove over the top of the car. They had to be extricated.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,090
    Changes afoot at Mercedes-Benz as they look to rationalize their model lineup:

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1123225_at-least-7-models-reportedly-face-the-ax-at-mercedes-benz

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    stickguy said:

I found the ILX to be a big downgrade from the TLX. Same drivetrain, maybe even quicker since ways less, but ride , handling, noise were worse.

I found the same differences between the Accord and Civic "back in the day", it was easy to tell which was cheaper, not just smaller in the first part of this Century.

In brief test drives, I found the same issue with the C-Class vs. A-Class at Mercedes.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited July 2020
    2011 Mercedes 2-door E-class for 10.5k. Clean carfax. 115k miles. A lot of car for the money?

https://www.acuraatoxmoor.com/used-Louisville-2011-Mercedes+Benz-E+Class-E+350+Base-WDDKJ5GB9BF094542

2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
    I like that MB. But not the miles, which explain the price.

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,265
    edited July 2020

Ah - an older german car with over 100k miles. Did someone page me?

It’s ready and waiting to break your wallet and your heart.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    I do like the ILX but really am wanting another hatch next time to be honest and it needs to be under 175" due to garage restraints. Looking like I might need to consider a GTI next go round as not much fits my parameters. The Encore GX is 172" so that'll fit and might be the one as I'd like a different brand next time. As much as I like a sun/moon roof, the only real requirement is a good audio system, something like a Bose with a subwoofer and a number of speakers. My Fender system in the Golf is not bad actually and have enjoyed it. The Mazda CX-30 is also another good contender.
    With so many manufacturers going to CUV's and SUV's, doesn't leave much for folks like me that want a smallish vehicle. And just not sure I want to do another German vehicle again as I've had some issues that I feel should not have happened with the lowish mileage I've got. Luckily, that oil leak was finally fixed but knowing that both front axle boots are torn and need replacement is making me think of just trading it before and put that money towards something brand new. Even though my mileage/year has changed drastically, I might just test drive both the Buick & the Mazda and see which one "works". Hopefully they both have the 0% financing and 3 months first payment deferral still in effect. Think I should just get onto Truecar.com and get this ball rolling. No one says I have to purchase now but at least I'll have an idea about costs and which one will work. Just like the Golf, I'll know within a few minutes behind the wheel if it's a vehicle I can live with for the next five to eight years. And it might just show me that I should just keep the Golf and fix the axle boots and be done with it all. But, do I want to drive it another two to four years??? That's the million dollar question here!!!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,983

I do like the ILX but really am wanting another hatch next time to be honest and it needs to be under 175" due to garage restraints. Looking like I might need to consider a GTI next go round as not much fits my parameters. The Encore GX is 172" so that'll fit and might be the one as I'd like a different brand next time. As much as I like a sun/moon roof, the only real requirement is a good audio system, something like a Bose with a subwoofer and a number of speakers. My Fender system in the Golf is not bad actually and have enjoyed it. The Mazda CX-30 is also another good contender.
    With so many manufacturers going to CUV's and SUV's, doesn't leave much for folks like me that want a smallish vehicle. And just not sure I want to do another German vehicle again as I've had some issues that I feel should not have happened with the lowish mileage I've got. Luckily, that oil leak was finally fixed but knowing that both front axle boots are torn and need replacement is making me think of just trading it before and put that money towards something brand new. Even though my mileage/year has changed drastically, I might just test drive both the Buick & the Mazda and see which one "works". Hopefully they both have the 0% financing and 3 months first payment deferral still in effect. Think I should just get onto Truecar.com and get this ball rolling. No one says I have to purchase now but at least I'll have an idea about costs and which one will work. Just like the Golf, I'll know within a few minutes behind the wheel if it's a vehicle I can live with for the next five to eight years. And it might just show me that I should just keep the Golf and fix the axle boots and be done with it all. But, do I want to drive it another two to four years??? That's the million dollar question here!!!

Take it for a second opinion about the axle boots. They could be pulling your tail.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,162
    Not surprised by some of that - new C, E, and S coupes are somewhat uncommon sights, and the cabrios even more so. They seemed to have their day in the sun about 10 years ago - now everyone wants a potato fastback CUV. The replacement line should reduce redundancy a little - a German maker cutting back on niches, what is the world coming to?

I also read the CLS was on the chopping block - at least for the dumbed down US market. That one is a little harder to swallow, as the CLS was something of a milestone design for the modern era IMO, and I see at least a few of them here and there.

Luxury trim (hood star, traditional grille) is also being cut for US spec E-class with the MY 2021 facelift.
    ab348 said:

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1123225_at-least-7-models-reportedly-face-the-ax-at-mercedes-benz

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,162
    Lots of style for the money, and not even really "base", that car has P2 which gave xenons, keyless go, etc, and wood wheel, maybe some other options too. Not known to be a very troublesome car, but a low mileage minter probably won't be insanely expensive itself. IIRC, for MY 2012 it received some ICE and engine updates.
    benjaminh said:

2011 Mercedes 2-door E-class for 10.5k. Clean carfax. 115k miles. A lot of car for the money?

I do like the ILX but really am wanting another hatch next time to be honest and it needs to be under 175" due to garage restraints. Looking like I might need to consider a GTI next go round as not much fits my parameters.

Don’t forget about the Corolla hatch, Sandy. I might pester a car salesperson for a test drive one of these days.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,203

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Sandy, if it is something you can do by you (oh heck, it is Florida, I assume you can do anything you feel like) drive the couple of contenders. That should give you the answer of what you want to drive. If it is one of the new ones, then just go get one and be happy!

Like you said, not too many choices that hit your parameters. The Kona and Seltos do too probably. But maybe not luxurious for you? I do like the Mazda interior.

speaking of older MBs, the Car Wizard just put up a video about the 2004ish SL500 he just bought for Mrs. Wizard. $5,500, with 130K on the clock. Overall, pretty solid shape. Needs various wear items (tires, brakes, ball joints, motor and trans mounts). He estimated that paying a shop, looking at $4-5K probably to get it all fixed up. Of course cheaper when you do the work yourself.

Not a bad looking car either.

edited July 2020
    The Mazda 3 looks good inside and out, but one drawback is that this generation has a torsion beam rear suspension.

https://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2018/12/why-the-h-ll-does-the-2020-mazda3-have-a-torsion-beam-rear-suspension-.html

"Compared to multi-link suspensions, torsion beams are often mechanically simpler, can be lighter and are typically easier to package. That last point, in particular, can pay some important dividends, particularly in the area cargo space. Torsion beams usually sit lower in a vehicle, something that often allows for more trunk room.

And this is also the case with the 2020 Mazda3. Beppu noted the new cargo hold is deeper and more accessible than before. He also said suitcases are easier to fit in there because of the space’s revised shape.

Obviously, the humble torsion beam has its share of important benefits, but it’s still surprising that Mazda engineers opted to go with a suspension arrangement that doesn’t provide the best-possible dynamics. “So, if you were… driving around a circuit, [at a] track day or whatever, and you’re going around a high-G corner, of course, multi-link, in that particular instance, will have its advantage,” said Beppu. “But, if you think about real daily driving, the vast majority of cases there’s no difference between the two in this area.”

I sometimes take the banked cloverleaf curves in my car, for instance, with a bit of speed, and so I do think there are real world advantages for some people in having an all-independent suspension. Even winding country roads, I assume, would benefit, not to mention roads that are bumpy. After building up a performance reputation for something like 20 years, I was surprised that Mazda did that, and imho it was a mistake.
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    ab348 said:

I do like the ILX but really am wanting another hatch next time to be honest and it needs to be under 175" due to garage restraints. Looking like I might need to consider a GTI next go round as not much fits my parameters.

Don’t forget about the Corolla hatch, Sandy. I might pester a car salesperson for a test drive one of these days.
    The Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla and Mazda 3 are all pretty low slung. They work for me (the Volt is low too) but if I had back problems I would be switching to a higher seating vehicle like the Encore. Plenty of small subcompact SUVs to choose from these days!
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    ab348 said:

Good. The less alphabet soup the better. With all the coupes and convertibles being axed I guess there will officially be no more fun with MB.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

benjaminh said:

https://www.acuraatoxmoor.com/used-Louisville-2011-Mercedes+Benz-E+Class-E+350+Base-WDDKJ5GB9BF094542

Make sure to get an extended warranty.

on the 3, very simple as noted. 99% of the buyers probably would never know (or care) about the rear suspension. But will appreciate having a bigger trunk. Plus, even with the simpler design, they still make the car handle and ride well (and handle better than the competition for the most part).

sometimes, the reason to keep something is the optics (to say you have it). And there are some die hards that will complain loudly about change (like when Honda went away from double wishbones),

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,314
    K-Cars had beam rear axles. I guess they were underrated handlers. ;)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    This guy needed the better handling. No beams for him.

https://youtu.be/AL85RiXmcZM

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,918
    edited July 2020
    Hyundai with the 2017 redesign of the Elantra went to drum brakes in the rear for many of the trim levels.

I thought it was kind of lame since our base model 08 Elantra had discs in the rear.

Once I drove it, I realized it didn’t matter. Car stopped fine and it was one of the only cars I didn’t warp the rotors on.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

edited July 2020
    I did feel like my 2002 Accord, which was the last generation of Accord to have a double wishbone front suspension, handled a little bit better than our 2008, 2013, and 2016 Accords.

But most reviews that I've looked at say the Mazda 3 has good handling.
    edited July 2020
    tjc78 said:

Hyundai with the 2017 redesign of the Elantra went to drum brakes in the rear for many of the trim levels.

I thought it was kind of lame since our base model 08 Elantra had discs in the rear.

Once I drove it, I realized it didn’t matter. Car stopped fine and it was one of the only cars I didn’t warp the rotors on.

I didn’t realize that. Kind of a cheap trick as most people would assume all cars have disc all around these days. Heck, even my throw away Kia has them. But you’re right, most people wouldn’t notice.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,314
    Our 04 Escape, rear drums, never needed new shoeing in the over 12 years/just under 150K we had it.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,940
    I could never understand how drums are cheaper. They are so much more complex and parts-intensive.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,355
    sda said:

Take it for a second opinion about the axle boots. They could be pulling your tail.
    I agree; out of all the German vehicles I have owned I’ve only replaced the CV axle boots on one car- my Ford Scorpio- and I wish that was the only issue it suffered from.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

edited July 2020
    Out of curiosity I emailed Dinan support and asked when/if a flash tune would be available for the B46 motor in the G20 330i. I received a prompt response and was advised that they just obtained a car for evaluation.
    Now, I know that the proof is in the actual test times, but I crunched some numbers and calculated power to weight and torque to weight ratios of a stock RWD 330i, a stock M340i xDrive, and a stock RWD M235i. Surprisingly, the G20 3 Series is only 158 pounds heavier than my 2 Series, so a 50 lb-ft bump in torque on the 330i would give it an identical torque to weight ratio to the M235i. Based on other Dinan B46/B48 tunes a 50 lb-ft increase is probably easily accomplished with a 93 octane flash tune. If I could cut the 0-60 and the quarter mile ET by at least 0.5 seconds I’d be happy, and a tune might just manage that. Another positive is that the flash tune will be relatively inexpensive(likely less than $800 installed) and there are no warranty issues.
    Would I like an M2C or M340i? You bet- but to take that route I’m looking at another $12k at a minimum. So I think I’m going to drive the 330i and see how I like it- and possibly the Indigo Edition Stinger.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,555

Out of curiosity I emailed Dinan support and asked when/if a flash tune would be available for the B46 motor in the G20 330i. I received a prompt response and was advised that they just obtained a car for evaluation.
    Now, I know that the proof is in the actual test times, but I crunched some numbers and calculated power to weight and torque to weight ratios of a stock RWD 330i, a stock M340i xDrive, and a stock RWD M235i. Surprisingly, the G20 3 Series is only 158 pounds heavier than my 2 Series, so a 50 lb-ft bump in torque on the 330i would give it an identical torque to weight ratio to the M235i. Based on other Dinan B46/B48 tunes a 50 lb-ft increase is probably easily accomplished with a 93 octane flash tune. If I could cut the 0-60 and the quarter mile ET by at least 0.5 seconds I’d be happy, and a tune might just manage that. Another positive is that the flash tune will be relatively inexpensive(likely less than $800 installed) and there are no warranty issues.
    Would I like an M2C or M340i? You bet- but to take that route I’m looking at another $12k at a minimum. So I think I’m going to drive the 330i and see how I like it- and possibly the Indigo Edition Stinger.

Speed aside, would you be happy with the driving dynamics of the 3 vs. your 2 series?
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    And one step further - would you be happy with the sounds/feeling of the B46 vs. the N55?
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    stickguy said:

speaking of older MBs, the Car Wizard just put up a video about the 2004ish SL500 he just bought for Mrs. Wizard. $5,500, with 130K on the clock. Overall, pretty solid shape. Needs various wear items (tires, brakes, ball joints, motor and trans mounts). He estimated that paying a shop, looking at $4-5K probably to get it all fixed up. Of course cheaper when you do the work yourself.

Not a bad looking car either.

I just watched that last night. It is a pretty nice car for its age. But, as he said, if you can’t do the work yourself, it’s not going to be a good experience. But, I think he said brakes, tires, tie rod ends, a driver’s seat leather repair, were the biggest jobs on it. The rest works fine.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    That and a couple strut ball joints or some such.

Would have been a great wheeler dealers car.

Oh, motor mounts and trans mounts also shot.

pensfan83 said:

Speed aside, would you be happy with the driving dynamics of the 3 vs. your 2 series?
    I think so; I had a 330i xDrive M Sport loaner and the M Sport suspension was pretty good. The car I’m looking at has the Adaptive M suspension which has received glowing reviews in the U.S. and British car magazines. Plus, it has a true limited slip diff.

And one step further - would you be happy with the sounds/feeling of the B46 vs. the N55?

The B46 is a bit more civilized than the N20 in my wife’s X1; you know the B46 isn’t an inline six but it’s not grating.

As long as it isn't like the B48, which sounded like a tractor in my wife's X1...
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,940
    Few notes ...

R&T don't seem to be fans of the new hot-rod Mini. Only 5.1s to 60, so probably fell of @roadburner 's list anyway. ;)

Speaking of RB, a couple of listings came up you may keep an eye on. I posted some concerns and queries on one of them in the chat.

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/9lZE2PZM/2007-ford-mustang-gt-coupe

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/35vZlkmR/2007-aston-martin-v8-vantage

And one for the rest of us...
    https://carsandbids.com/auctions/98nadV7Y/2006-mazdaspeed6

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Love the Mazda. Would not mind having that. And quite the odd interior treatment on the AM

@stickguy - speaking of Wheeler Dealers, I just found a variant on the Motor Trend channel. "Wheeler Dealers: Dream Cars".

Set in the UK, Mike connects with an enthusiast who has wanted a particular car for a long time. Mike takes his current vehicle and whatever cash the person has managed to save, and starts trading up to fund the dream car. His new mechanic is Elvis (former F1 mechanic), and the show has taken some pretty interesting twists in order to get the cash together.

Mike has bought and flipped a couple of trailers, and a handful of small motorbikes, to add to the kitty.

When he buys the dream car and shows it to the new owner, it's pretty cool to watch.

Anyway, might be worth checking out.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

I dropped my MTTV sub and don't really miss it much. We still get Velocity here and they showed the first 2 or 3 episodes of Dream Cars but then dropped it (I assume they made more than just those) in favor of Salvage Hunters: Classic Cars which I think is a superior show.