Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,555
    I like that Mazda too.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348
    Cincinnati Mini has a used International Orange Edition JCW Cooper. Really cool looking and every option box is checked on that car.
    And the Hyundai dealers still want to put me in a Veloster N.
    I’m intrigued by both but I still suspect I’d tire of FWD.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

pensfan83 said:

Out of curiosity I emailed Dinan support and asked when/if a flash tune would be available for the B46 motor in the G20 330i. I received a prompt response and was advised that they just obtained a car for evaluation.
    Now, I know that the proof is in the actual test times, but I crunched some numbers and calculated power to weight and torque to weight ratios of a stock RWD 330i, a stock M340i xDrive, and a stock RWD M235i. Surprisingly, the G20 3 Series is only 158 pounds heavier than my 2 Series, so a 50 lb-ft bump in torque on the 330i would give it an identical torque to weight ratio to the M235i. Based on other Dinan B46/B48 tunes a 50 lb-ft increase is probably easily accomplished with a 93 octane flash tune. If I could cut the 0-60 and the quarter mile ET by at least 0.5 seconds I’d be happy, and a tune might just manage that. Another positive is that the flash tune will be relatively inexpensive(likely less than $800 installed) and there are no warranty issues.
    Would I like an M2C or M340i? You bet- but to take that route I’m looking at another $12k at a minimum. So I think I’m going to drive the 330i and see how I like it- and possibly the Indigo Edition Stinger.

Speed aside, would you be happy with the driving dynamics of the 3 vs. your 2 series?
    I think so; I had a 330i xDrive M Sport loaner and the M Sport suspension was pretty good. The car I’m looking at has the Adaptive M suspension which has received glowing reviews in the U.S. and British car magazines. Plus, it has a true limited slip diff.

Sounds like it could be a nice choice then if the Dinan tune results in the expected performance enhancements.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    benjaminh said:

The Mazda 3 looks good inside and out, but one drawback is that this generation has a torsion beam rear suspension.

https://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2018/12/why-the-h-ll-does-the-2020-mazda3-have-a-torsion-beam-rear-suspension-.html

"Compared to multi-link suspensions, torsion beams are often mechanically simpler, can be lighter and are typically easier to package. That last point, in particular, can pay some important dividends, particularly in the area cargo space. Torsion beams usually sit lower in a vehicle, something that often allows for more trunk room.

And this is also the case with the 2020 Mazda3. Beppu noted the new cargo hold is deeper and more accessible than before. He also said suitcases are easier to fit in there because of the space’s revised shape.

Obviously, the humble torsion beam has its share of important benefits, but it’s still surprising that Mazda engineers opted to go with a suspension arrangement that doesn’t provide the best-possible dynamics. “So, if you were… driving around a circuit, [at a] track day or whatever, and you’re going around a high-G corner, of course, multi-link, in that particular instance, will have its advantage,” said Beppu. “But, if you think about real daily driving, the vast majority of cases there’s no difference between the two in this area.”

I sometimes take the banked cloverleaf curves in my car, for instance, with a bit of speed, and so I do think there are real world advantages for some people in having an all-independent suspension. Even winding country roads, I assume, would benefit, not to mention roads that are bumpy. After building up a performance reputation for something like 20 years, I was surprised that Mazda did that, and imho it was a mistake.

It's bean-counter decontenting and cost-cutting at its finest. They are saving a few pennies at everyone's expense. Most might not care, but many enthusiasts notice.

Mazda was headed downhill years ago when they shortened their 4 year warranty to 3 years.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,788
    qbrozen said:

I could never understand how drums are cheaper. They are so much more complex and parts-intensive.

Agreed! I appreciate rear discs for the sole reason of simplicity. Yes, there are still drums in there (for the e-brake), but almost never do those parts need servicing. When it needs to pads on the disc brake, just slap them in and move on.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    qbrozen said:

Few notes ...

R&T don't seem to be fans of the new hot-rod Mini. Only 5.1s to 60, so probably fell of @roadburner 's list anyway. ;)

Speaking of RB, a couple of listings came up you may keep an eye on. I posted some concerns and queries on one of them in the chat.

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/9lZE2PZM/2007-ford-mustang-gt-coupe

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/35vZlkmR/2007-aston-martin-v8-vantage

And one for the rest of us...
    https://carsandbids.com/auctions/98nadV7Y/2006-mazdaspeed6

What do you think the Mazda will go for at auction's end?
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,304
    That Audi Quattro is attracting no money.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933
    edited July 2020
    I think $5k is possible on the mazda.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,513
    If that is really clean without immediate money pit needs, I’d probably pay that, if I actually needed a car at the moment.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,385

It is quite beat at this point and I'd be legitimately afraid of something breaking and not being able to find parts for it. Also that white pearl paint is nearly impossible for most body shops to match - my dad, when he had his 1993 V8 in the same color, had to use a specialty body shop that could custom match it.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI

It is quite beat at this point and I'd be legitimately afraid of something breaking and not being able to find parts for it. Also that white pearl paint is nearly impossible for most body shops to match - my dad, when he had his 1993 V8 in the same color, had to use a specialty body shop that could custom match it.
    You could always just wrap it; regarding the paint being hard for a body shop to match. Body shops in general don't give me any confidence they can match any color, as I've seen some awkwardly matched reds floating around, and I'm not just talking about Chrysler/Dodge faded bumpers.

Are there any machine shops out there that specialize in "rebuilding" parts when replacements are hard to come by?
    You can get anything done, for the right price.

I have seen a few cases on some of the you tube channels. The car wizard just sent out a prowler window regulator to get rebuilt, since replacements were either impossible to find, or at least super expensive.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646

Our 04 Escape, rear drums, never needed new shoeing in the over 12 years/just under 150K we had it.

Shows how little work the rear brakes actually do. My 2009 Chrysler had rear drums but my 2000 Chrysler has discs.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

Out of curiosity I emailed Dinan support and asked when/if a flash tune would be available for the B46 motor in the G20 330i. I received a prompt response and was advised that they just obtained a car for evaluation.
    Now, I know that the proof is in the actual test times, but I crunched some numbers and calculated power to weight and torque to weight ratios of a stock RWD 330i, a stock M340i xDrive, and a stock RWD M235i. Surprisingly, the G20 3 Series is only 158 pounds heavier than my 2 Series, so a 50 lb-ft bump in torque on the 330i would give it an identical torque to weight ratio to the M235i. Based on other Dinan B46/B48 tunes a 50 lb-ft increase is probably easily accomplished with a 93 octane flash tune. If I could cut the 0-60 and the quarter mile ET by at least 0.5 seconds I’d be happy, and a tune might just manage that. Another positive is that the flash tune will be relatively inexpensive(likely less than $800 installed) and there are no warranty issues.
    Would I like an M2C or M340i? You bet- but to take that route I’m looking at another $12k at a minimum. So I think I’m going to drive the 330i and see how I like it- and possibly the Indigo Edition Stinger.

Have you evaluated where in the curve the torque increases come in? I suppose for someone like you who goes to the track having the increase at the top end would be good. For a daily driver though, you might never notice. The mods I did to my Mustang gave me 40ft/lbs at 1500 but only 20 or so at the top. For me that’s exactly what I wanted.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262

Also that white pearl paint is nearly impossible for most body shops to match - my dad, when he had his 1993 V8 in the same color, had to use a specialty body shop that could custom match it.

I think most shops have gotten better at being able to color match. It used to be almost impossible to color match metallic paint, then there were difficulties with new colors like pearl white. My local body shop did a great job on the front bumper of the G37, without having to blend into the fenders.
    Dang, I would love one of these. Alas, can’t have it in the US.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UjpkbjPDvO8

edited July 2020
    qbrozen said:

Few notes ...

R&T don't seem to be fans of the new hot-rod Mini. Only 5.1s to 60, so probably fell of @roadburner 's list anyway. ;)

Speaking of RB, a couple of listings came up you may keep an eye on. I posted some concerns and queries on one of them in the chat.

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/9lZE2PZM/2007-ford-mustang-gt-coupe

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/35vZlkmR/2007-aston-martin-v8-vantage

And one for the rest of us...
    https://carsandbids.com/auctions/98nadV7Y/2006-mazdaspeed6

Love the Mustang. The best style since the new platform. Strangely, I don’t care for the color. Would want to know where the mods were done, dealer or driveway.

I think Hoovie has a Vantage and he claims it’s been trouble free.

I could see owning that Mazda 6 although I wouldn’t pay much because of the mileage. I know the Speed3 used a 2.3L, what motor did they put in the Speed6? Oh never mind, it’s right there in the ad. Disappointing, I’d think they’d want to go up to a 3.0L for the larger car.

Have you evaluated where in the curve the torque increases come in? I suppose for someone like you who goes to the track having the increase at the top end would be good. For a daily driver though, you might never notice. The mods I did to my Mustang gave me 40ft/lbs at 1500 but only 20 or so at the top. For me that’s exactly what I wanted.
    On their previous tune the maximum torque increase was at 44 lb-ft at 3,500 rpm, peaking at 29 lb-ft at 5,000 rpm- so the torque curve was still relatively flat from off idle to around 4,500 rpm.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Our 04 Escape, rear drums, never needed new shoeing in the over 12 years/just under 150K we had it.

Shows how little work the rear brakes actually do. My 2009 Chrysler had rear drums but my 2000 Chrysler has discs.
    My Neon had 4-wheel disc brakes, and I never had a brake issue with the car, the ABS module included, one of the only reliable parts used on the car apparently.
    another for us to drool over. I'm sure this will get pricey with those miles.

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/9nVJ74zX/2016-volkswagen-golf-r

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

qbrozen said:

eh, why not? It'll never stick anyway.

That's a bold move Cotton, let's see if it pays off for him.
    edited July 2020
    That thing will go in the upper $20s (the Golf R).
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,304
    edited July 2020
    @qbrozen,
    I see you already are planning on multiple accounts.
    Nobody will see the connection between Qbrozen01 and Qbrozen02. :D
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    stickguy said:

speaking of older MBs, the Car Wizard just put up a video about the 2004ish SL500 he just bought for Mrs. Wizard. $5,500, with 130K on the clock. Overall, pretty solid shape. Needs various wear items (tires, brakes, ball joints, motor and trans mounts). He estimated that paying a shop, looking at $4-5K probably to get it all fixed up. Of course cheaper when you do the work yourself.

Not a bad looking car either.

Car Wizard just came back from a road trip to break in Hoovie’s clutch and got a speeding ticket.

Nice Golf. Too bad they ruined it with an automatic.

I really like this. Love the colors. I would be fine with the putt putt motor, but seems this one has a S/C. Certainly faster, but if the price is equivalent, might as well just get the 6 banger.

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/9QPQJBbx/1997-bmw-z3-roadster

also wicked cool with the handshaker. Not sure I even knew you could get the hardtop convertible with a manual. Great colors too. Would love to have this.

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/37NexYZk/2010-volvo-c70-t5-convertible

and this looks like something Hoovie just sent off to the wrecking yard.

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/3BmAL644/2007-bmw-alpina-b7

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,000
    pensfan83 said:

qbrozen said:

Nice Dodge Ball reference, there.

"If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball!" (clunk)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

We’re rewatching West Wing and just got to the point where Gary Cole has appeared as Bingo Bob Russell. All I can think about is dodgeball.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905
    Michaell said:

pensfan83 said:

qbrozen said:

That movie is just great, stupid humor.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

We’re rewatching West Wing and just got to the point where Gary Cole has appeared as Bingo Bob Russell. All I can think about is dodgeball.

My all time favorite TV show. Just rewatched it at the beginning of the year.

I'm just sad that Bingo Bob is from Colorado.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

tjc78 said:

Michaell said:

pensfan83 said:

qbrozen said:

That movie is just great, stupid humor.
    Hard to believe Ben Stiller and Christine Taylor are married - between Dodge Ball and Zoolander, I'm amazed at their professionalism on the set.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    I haven't watched the Car Wizard. I think JR is a better presenter than Hoovie.
    Car wizard is great. Funny and you learn stuff. JR and Hoovie are much different in what they too.

interested to see that Car Wizard actually has a lot more subscribers now than JR.

I'm still trying to figure out how Witchita became ground zero for car videos.

stickguy said:

I really like this. Love the colors. I would be fine with the putt putt motor, but seems this one has a S/C. Certainly faster, but if the price is equivalent, might as well just get the 6 banger.

also wicked cool with the handshaker. Not sure I even knew you could get the hardtop convertible with a manual. Great colors too. Would love to have this.

The DA s/c was a very common modification in the late ‘90s in both the ti and Z3 communities. Very reliable and a significant boost in power. I waited too long and the kit went out of production.

As for the B7 I loved the one I drove to Fort Worth for Oktoberfest 2007. It even acquitted itself pretty well on the track. I wouldn’t want something that big but I would happily take a B3- but of course BMW NA doesn’t bring those in.

didn't know about that kit. interesting.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,139
    Car Wizard has a demeanor, like a very laid back professor or something. He's almost calming to watch, and he knows his stuff. He seems to respect old MBs, so that helps too.
    Plus he makes fun of Hoovie relentlessly.
    got a sly sense of humor.

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,604
    stickguy said:

I've actually driven a C70 manual; I looked at a black one with grey interior a few years back. While novel, the Volvo handshaker was a rubbery, boingy thing that wasn't all that gratifying to use. An automatic probably suits it better, honestly.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

I still want one.

The heart wants what it wants. I know the feeling.

Plus he makes fun of Hoovie relentlessly.

I think that’s their shtick. Like Abbott and Costello.

I'll just pile on and see if I can get a bunch of cheap cars. LOL. Yeah, this won't stick either.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,418
    @qbrozen - I went to Charlie’s tonight for ice cream. He’s still alive & still lives upstairs. He owns the building. However, another local ice cream place (maybe 1/2 mile down the road) named Ice Cream Boss owns Charlie’s now as well.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

qbrozen said:

I'll just pile on and see if I can get a bunch of cheap cars. LOL. Yeah, this won't stick either.

You need to read Jalopnik - David Tracy is now writing a column to help car hoarders thin the herd.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

if you are going to troll for bargains, gotta at least do it on no reserve auctions.

stickguy said:

if you are going to troll for bargains, gotta at least do it on no reserve auctions.

Spoil sport! Lol

nyccarguy said:

@qbrozen - I went to Charlie’s tonight for ice cream. He’s still alive & still lives upstairs. He owns the building. However, another local ice cream place (maybe 1/2 mile down the road) named Ice Cream Boss owns Charlie’s now as well.

What?? Really? Good god... he must be ... hmmm... late 80s?