Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    edited August 2020

Interesting video.....

https://youtu.be/rILyBg7ZjeI

A guy with too much time on his hands. LOL

I noticed the air seemed to moving around the tire when it's rolling. It was moving the detritus
    along with it. I suspect that's a factor in tire cooling.

He's got his own tire mounting machine in his garage. He doesn't have to call "the guy."

I envy him having a ratchet drill to take off the lug nuts. I really miss my shadetree mechanic
    neighbor because I could borrow one of his when I wanted to play with my wheels. I do have
    two hydraulic jacks, so I can lift one side of the car and move tires front/back for rotations.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,976
    tjc78 said:

andres3 said:

I have a lot in the closet, of high quality old audio equipment (speakers mainly) that I never sold. I'm finding from others posts here, this is a common symptom of Audiophileness. Didn't realize it was so common.

My wife has said I have more speakers than she has shoes.
    Yeh, but you can't listen to shoes!

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    driver100 said:

tjc78 said:

andres3 said:

I have a lot in the closet, of high quality old audio equipment (speakers mainly) that I never sold. I'm finding from others posts here, this is a common symptom of Audiophileness. Didn't realize it was so common.

Excellent point!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,085

sda said:

I'm generally not a fan of black wheels. They look sharp on this Pilot.

Black on black cars is generally not too bad.
    The problem than is that you have a black car though. :sunglasses:

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,085

Picked up this little audio gem last night for $180. 100W X 2 into 8 ohms full bandwidth. Bluetooth, USB, turntable connections, etc. All loaded up and made by a highly regarded English audio company.

For a moment there I was concerned it might have a Lucas badge on it. :open_mouth:

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,544
    driver100 said:

tjc78 said:

andres3 said:

That’s right but you better listen to the wife that said it. :o

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    sda said:

It would look a lot better if the grill and the trim around the lights were also black.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

abacomike said:

I have my 3 power packs plugged in to make sure they are fully charged before the storm arrives. This way I will have plenty of power for my phone in case we lose power.🤓

I usually keep at least one power pack fully charged, mostly because it comes in handy if the device I am using runs low on juice I can keep using it and not have to be within a few feet of an outlet.

driver100 said:

tjc78 said:

andres3 said:

Some shoes do squeak when you walk on certain surfaces.

• houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327

driver100 said:

tjc78 said:

andres3 said:

Some shoes do squeak when you walk on certain surfaces.
    Plus you would look kinda silly wearing speakers on your feet.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    It's poring outside and the winds are fierce!

2021 Genesis G90

2021 Genesis G90

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,907
    ab348 said:

sda said:

Black on black cars is generally not too bad.
    The problem than is that you have a black car though. :sunglasses:
    Black exterior is fine, it’s the interior I dislike.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,308
    @abacomike,
    Vehicles parking parallel to the lines seems to be an issue. ;)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert

@abacomike,

It’s Florida. The fact they are even in the spot is to be commended.

@abacomike,

Well, it is Florida.....lucky if they are in the lines. :p

@abacomike,

It's when they pull in to their spot only halfway and block the parking lot that's scary. The garbage truck hit a car last month that was parked halfway into the spot. Driving in my parking lot is always a challenge!🤪😜🤓

2021 Genesis G90

driver100 said:

@abacomike,

Well, it is Florida.....lucky if they are in the lines. :p
    A few years ago my Delray Beach SIL said some of the seniors consider it a plus when they find their housing complex on the first try. :o

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    abacomike said:

@abacomike — you know where you live! That is par for the course there!
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere

@abacomike,

Maybe the winds have blown them sideways from a proper position between the lines.

@abacomike
    Stay safe.
    Like the photos. Those look like real palm trees.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,518

@abacomike
    Stay safe.
    Like the photos. Those look like real palm trees.

they are doing amazing work with cell phone towers these days!

actually, along the highway here there are towers \disguised as pine trees (in the pine barrens area, so a natural choice). They even blend in well enough you really don't notice them.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    jmonroe1 said:

stickguy said:

Mike, the right time is when you need a car, and they have what you want at a price you are comfortable with. In hindsight, any move can look good or bad (like in my case, I would likely have been much better off waiting). But at the time, who knew that 5 months later we would still be housebound, and barely putting any miles on the car?

I disagree. The right time to buy a car is when you want one but don’t need it and the dealer HAS to sell one. B)

I remember reading once that most car advertisements are viewed by people who have already purchased a car. It’s normal to second guess after the fact. I know that when I bought my first new car after a 20 something year lapse I was still researching prices months later to see if I made a good deal.

C’mon man, be honest. You were checking adds to see how bad you screwed up. :'(

jmonroe
    That’s what checking to see if I made a good deal implies. ;)

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

stickguy said:

that was surprisingly interesting. and a good reminder of why it isn't smart to drive on marginal tires, including ones with a lot of sidewall cracking.

Did that car’s wheels have a lot of camber? Drift car maybe?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• ventureventure Member Posts: 2,872

sda said:

It would look a lot better if the grill and the trim around the lights were also black.
    Oddly enough, my sons Land Rover is all black - even the grille, side vents, and emblems...but the wheels are silver. it looks pretty good.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

jmonroe1 said:

stickguy said:

Mike, the right time is when you need a car, and they have what you want at a price you are comfortable with. In hindsight, any move can look good or bad (like in my case, I would likely have been much better off waiting). But at the time, who knew that 5 months later we would still be housebound, and barely putting any miles on the car?

I disagree. The right time to buy a car is when you want one but don’t need it and the dealer HAS to sell one. B)

I remember reading once that most car advertisements are viewed by people who have already purchased a car. It’s normal to second guess after the fact. I know that when I bought my first new car after a 20 something year lapse I was still researching prices months later to see if I made a good deal.

C’mon man, be honest. You were checking adds to see how bad you screwed up. :'(

jmonroe
    That’s what checking to see if I made a good deal implies. ;)
    I know, I know but who makes that determination? You, your wife or some yes man you hire for such things? B)

jmonroe
    My wife wants black wheels on her next SUV... luckily for me it appears that the XC90 doesn’t have an all black option. She told me that’s what she wants to replace the Enclave with. I also told her expect the payment to go up about $150. XC90 gets pricey before even getting to the Inscription trim level like my S60

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349
    As I posted in CCBA-
    So...
    My local dealer took in a 2016 M3 DCT- Yas Marina Blue, CF roof/front splitter/rear spoiler, Sakhir Orange leather. Very few options: M Adaptive suspension, H-K, Nav, Comfort Access, and that's it- absolutely no nannies.
    According to Car and Driver it will hit 100 mph in 8.5 seconds and runs the quarter in the 12.2 seconds. So it's actually fast.
    My wife is already in love with it, even though it's $6k over budget.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

As I posted in CCBA-
    So...
    My local dealer took in a 2016 M3 DCT- Yas Marina Blue, CF roof/front splitter/rear spoiler, Sakhir Orange leather. Very few options: M Adaptive suspension, H-K, Nav, Comfort Access, and that's it- absolutely no nannies.
    According to Car and Driver it will hit 100 mph in 8.5 seconds and runs the quarter in the 12.2 seconds. So it's actually fast.

I like the blue exterior. The interior is striking. Are you sure that something that bright will wear on you and your wife well? I would imagine you could strike a favorable deal as buyers won’t be flocking to something that unusual.

That BMW might be ok if you are a Florida Gators fan. Otherwise that's an ugly interior.
    This video is almost as strange as the GoPro in the tire.
    Right hand drive Bullitt Mustang.
    Started out thinking, why is the guy getting in on the passenger side?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFTbCbb_db0
    tjc78 said:

My wife wants black wheels on her next SUV... luckily for me it appears that the XC90 doesn’t have an all black option. She told me that’s what she wants to replace the Enclave with. I also told her expect the payment to go up about $150. XC90 gets pricey before even getting to the Inscription trim level like my S60

lease a service loaner. Might help a bit.

That BMW might be ok if you are a Florida Gators fan. Otherwise that's an ugly interior.

definitely polarizing, but every car/color is a matter of personal taste.

Mustang is a big car for over there. And must cost a fortune to run at their gas prices.

stickguy said:

definitely polarizing, but every car/color is a matter of personal taste.
    Like we’ve been told, there’s a butt for every seat. However, I don’t think my butt would look good in those seats.

jmonroe

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,049

I was thinking that looks like the classic Gulf livery.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    The metal “M” badge on the seats look like they’d be uncomfortable.
    Gotta post this, enjoy.

stickguy said:

Mustang is a big car for over there. And must cost a fortune to run at their gas prices.

And not cheap to buy. What did he say, 48k pounds? Isn’t that over $70k?

the fancy stereo alone was 1,600 pounds extra.

stickguy said:

And not cheap to buy. What did he say, 48k pounds? Isn’t that over $70k?
    According to Fords UK website the Mustang starts at 38,035 Pounds which at today's exchange rate works out to $49,771. Nope not cheap at all.

@abacomike hasn't posted, and I heard on radio early news about lost power. I assume
    he's lost his internet connection. But his cellphone might be providing access if the
    towers are working.

Sandman is in that same area in a residence. Dino001 is midstate if I recall.

Hope everyone is safe.

edited August 2020
    Thinking of electric power going out, I've considered recommending son and DIL check into backup power for their new home. I've seen stories about larger batteries as backups rather than natural gas or gasoline powered generators.

Does anyone have any experience with either one? I've also considered buying them a fairly large backup power supply for their computers since they both are heavy uses and work from home much of the time.

edited August 2020

As I posted in CCBA-
    So...

I like the blue exterior. The interior is striking. Are you sure that something that bright will wear on you and your wife well? I would imagine you could strike a favorable deal as buyers won’t be flocking to something that unusual.
    oldfarmer.....did you ever consider becoming a diplomat? Explorer doesn't mess around, gets right to the point;

I won't comment but I hope he has a strong pair of sunglasses....and I love the exterior.

edited August 2020

Thinking of power supplies, I've considered recommending son and DIL check into backup power for their new home. I've seen stories about larger batteries as backups rather than natural gas or gasoline powered generators.

Does anyone have any experience with either one? I've also considered buying them a fairly large backup power supply for their computers since they both are heavy uses and work from home much of the time.

We have a neighbor who has a Tesla powerwall and solar panels. The solar panels run his home during the day and excess power charges the powerwall and the powerwall powers the house at night. Not sure what it cost him but he is all but off the grid. He likes it.

However given the price I would look at a gas generator.

@abacomike hasn't posted, and I heard on radio early news about lost power. I assume
    he's lost his internet connection. But his cellphone might be providing access if the
    towers are working.

Sandman is in that same area in a residence. Dino001 is midstate if I recall.

Hope everyone is safe.

Thanks for your concern, imid. I did not experience a power outage, that I know of. Storm is 45 miles due east of me moving up into Palm Beach County. My daughter lives in South Boynton Beach, near the ocean, but she tells me everything is OK.

Very foggy outside with occasional heavy squalls from the bands of the storm. When the storm crossed Andros Island (largest Bahamian Island), it fizzled to a tropical storm with winds at 65-70 mph. It has not recovered from that and remains a tropical storm. The winds move counterclockwise around the center so our winds will be coming in from the west northwest soon.

I guess we dodged another bullet on this one like we did with Dorian last summer.

2021 Genesis G90

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

This video is almost as strange as the GoPro in the tire.
    Right hand drive Bullitt Mustang.
    Started out thinking, why is the guy getting in on the passenger side?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFTbCbb_db0

Could he gush any more about the Mustang? I think the reviewer is smitten.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    To get info on hurricanes and storms, I try to tune in to local weather reports on local TV channels. They report "facts" and "data" only!

Occasionally I tune to the Weather Channel for updates - and I get inundated with sensationalism and Shakespearean Drama. Sure they provide weather data and storm positioning, but they over dramatize the information.

As an example, the hurricane weakened to a tropical storm and they reported that fact as the NWS updated info, but then they warn of impending strengthening and to stay tuned for up-to-the-minute reports from meteorologists on Ft. Lauderdale Beach, Vero Beach, Daytona Beach, etc. "...I am very concerned about this storm causing extensive damage and power outages..." says the chief hurricane specialist.

I realize that they are providing a service to the public during these storm developments but there's a troubling "slant" in my opinion when compared to local weather reporting which tends to be less dramatic and less ominous.

This is just my opinion.😜🤪🤓

2021 Genesis G90

edited August 2020
    stickguy said:

tjc78 said:

lease a service loaner. Might help a bit.
    Yes, a little. Equipped the way we would want, a T6 Momentum with HK and heated rear seats is 60K. No way that’s leasing at $500/ month. It’s more like $650ish. An Inscription is upper 60s and payments in the 7’s right now.

Enclave stays in the fleet until December, so who knows what deals there will be.

$650 is well beyond what I am willing to pay on a lease (heck, beyond what I am willing to pay on a loan!). For the "good" car I will go to $400. If I lease again when the TLX is done, cap will be $300 (the days of the nice car for $225/month may be done).

I agree that with the craziness in the world today, predicting conditions in December is just a wild guess.