Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

I spotted an (insert obscure car name here) classic car today!

Comments

• andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,652
    Yep, our library had issues going back to the early 1950s, as well. I remember they also had another magazine that did car reviews. It was "Consumer- something", but not "Consumer Guide". "Consumer Advocate", maybe?

It's been ages since I've seen one of those, but I do remember them saying that a 1975 Dodge Dart felt more like a well-preserved 1965 car than a brand-new model. But, with the direction the new cars were starting to go, that wasn't necessarily a bad thing!

I also remember them testing a LeMans coupe, either a 1976 or 1977, and mentioning how comfortable the seats were.

But yeah, back in those days, I'm convinced that if Consumer Reports had their way, the entire country would have been driving around in something akin to a used AMC American. They tested a '66 Toronado, and hated everything about it. Too big, too fast, too space-inefficient, too fuel-thirsty, etc. Although I think some of their gripes were legitimate. I believe those early Toros ate brakes and front tires pretty regularly? And they had low ground clearance, so it was easy to rip the oil pan? Or maybe that was "IsellHondas" who had said that, once?
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,685
    I wish CR would put out decade compilations of car related articles. I'd sure buy the '50s and '60s. '70s? Maybe.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,092
    Saw an Expo LRV on the road today, looked to be in quite decent shape. Also an XLR, not sure if it was a V.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,756
    fintail said:

Saw an Expo LRV on the road today, looked to be in quite decent shape. Also an XLR, not sure if it was a V.

Wow! Rare sighting. How many of those did they sell? Ten? :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    The first modification I made to my 1974 Monte Carlo was to ashcan the stock 2:73 gears and replace them with a 3:42 ring and pinion from a friend's 1973 Z/28- he was swapping in a 4:11 set.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,057
    fintail said:

That whole segment was a generation ahead of its time - Nissan Axxess, etc.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Make it AWD (maybe on some but not in this market?) and it'd fit right in during the twenty-teens.

I think they sold about 30 of them, and 20 of them were in WA state, the rest were in MA (I think one of the Car Talk guys had a thing for them too). I'll admit I kind of liked those upon introduction, as they seemed to foreign and JDM - anything weird = cool back then.
    Michaell said:

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,057
    edited July 2020
    fintail said:

Make it AWD (maybe on some but not in this market?) and it'd fit right in during the twenty-teens.

I think they sold about 30 of them, and 20 of them were in WA state, the rest were in MA (I think one of the Car Talk guys had a thing for them too). I'll admit I kind of liked those upon introduction, as they seemed to foreign and JDM - anything weird = cool back then.

Michaell said:

I remember them being fairly popular in SoCal, too. And yeah, they appealed to me, as well.

I want to say there were some models available with AWD, though they weren't a "thing" back then.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

I looked into it, AWD indeed existed, maybe more common on the Eagle Summit (forgot about that one, too).

90s cars are becoming vintage now, fun.
    Michaell said:

I remember them being fairly popular in SoCal, too. And yeah, they appealed to me, as well.

I want to say there were some models available with AWD, though they weren't a "thing" back then.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,934
    edited August 2020
    I recognize it’s relative to one’s age but I am finding it hard to believe the cars I had from high school and through my college years are now 40-58 years old, when they were 2-15 years old during that time frame. The oldest being my 1962 Galaxie that I bought in 77 for $100, and the 76 Sunbird I bought in 78 and served me through college and early career. I drove that car until 1983.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,849
    edited August 2020
    fintail said:

I looked into it, AWD indeed existed, maybe more common on the Eagle Summit (forgot about that one, too).

Michaell said:

One 90s car I think still looks great today is the first gen LH cars. I wouldn’t mind a nice loaded Intrepid or Concorde. Hunter green models excluded.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    tjc78 said:

fintail said:

Michaell said:

One 90s car I think still looks great today is the first gen LH cars. I wouldn’t mind a nice loaded Intrepid or Concorde. Hunter green models excluded.
    I agree.. Saw a 1st Gen Intrepid, just this week. I like the long, low, flat angular look.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Like this

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,432
    that is nice. is the the end of the RWD line or one of the FWD SAABmeos?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

stickguy said:

that is nice. is the the end of the RWD line or one of the FWD SAABmeos?

The 164 was a FWD model. But, I'm not sure they had anything to do with Saab at that time. (but, they could have). Early '90s.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

i thought the 164 was on that same shared platform that SAAB and something GM used. Malibu?

The fintail was in its early 30s when I got it. It is now rushing towards 60. That there are multiple satellite radio stations that play "old" music I remember being new says it all, I suppose.
    sda said:

I recognize it’s relative to one’s age but I am finding it hard to believe the cars I had from high school and through my college years are now 40-58 years old, when they were 2-15 years old during that time frame. The oldest being my 1962 Galaxie that I bought in 77 for $100, and the 76 Sunbird I bought in 78 and served me through college and early career. I drove that car until 1983.

Those have aged well, although the headlights sometimes seem small relative to the size of the car. I recall a good friend's dad had a first gen Concorde as a company car, seemed really nice back in the day. His next company car was a 300M, which seemed really posh.

I also remember my mom test driving an Eagle Vision, maybe a demo or something as it seemed nearly new.
    It was really loaded with moonroof, leather, etc. This was when Eagle was known to be on the way out, and the indy mechanic she patronized told her to keep away from a future orphan, I think.

Speaking of 90s cars, I've had a love-hate-love relationship with W140s (90s S-class) - loved them when new, then hated them as they developed a bad image, but now that nice ones are rare and they kind of represent the end of an era, I am fond of them again.
    tjc78 said:

stickguy said:

i thought the 164 was on that same shared platform that SAAB and something GM used. Malibu?

Maybe, Epsilon? I thought that came later in the '90s.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

164, 9000. and Lancia Thema shared a platform introduced around 1985. No GM in the mix until the 90s.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    sda said:

I recognize it’s relative to one’s age but I am finding it hard to believe the cars I had from high school and through my college years are now 40-58 years old, when they were 2-15 years old during that time frame.

fintail said:

The fintail was in its early 30s when I got it. It is now rushing towards 60. That there are multiple satellite radio stations that play "old" music I remember being new says it all, I suppose.

My real joy with most of the SiriusXM stations I splurge on is that I recall the songs when they were new. Same for Zooma radio Toronto AM 740 which plays a jukebox full of my songs starting from Midnight. I wake up and listen to my pillow radio to get back to sleep, and I love those oldies.

I remember how upset all the then "old" folk were about Elvis Presley and his hip motions. Then he was on Ed Sullivan Show and they kept the camera waist and above. LOL Those folks would be scandalized by today's acceptable behaviors.

My wife hates the 50's XM channel. I tell her it's the only one where you can understand the words in most of the songs, except for some Country Music today...

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

I have those oldies stations in my SiruisXM presets too, but generally listen to stuff from after when I was born, when in the modern car. In the fintail, however, I usually listen to the sole surviving oldies station in the Seattle, an AM station called KIXI, which plays mostly 50s-60s material, and some of it isn't rock 'n roll, being what I call "generic pop". This music matches well with the car and its old radio, and gives some of the time warp/Christine effect had by playing period music in an old car, especially when on a radio of the same age. This station also airs a show playing mostly 30s-40s material on Friday nights, and sometimes I will tune in on a ~1939 radio, the music sounds amazing on the old tube set with its warm tones.

Regarding music today, I don't listen to a lot of it either, save for electronic music, but I don't bemoan it. Time moves on, and nobody forces it on me. Makes me think of when my uncle complains with the "kids today" type of line, and I remind him that the old fuddy duddy set said the same about his demographic 50+ years ago. Time moves on, focus on enjoying what you like.

My real joy with most of the SiriusXM stations I splurge on is that I recall the songs when they were new. Same for Zooma radio Toronto AM 740 which plays a jukebox full of my songs starting from Midnight. I wake up and listen to my pillow radio to get back to sleep, and I love those oldies.

I remember how upset all the then "old" folk were about Elvis Presley and his hip motions. Then he was on Ed Sullivan Show and they kept the camera waist and above. LOL Those folks would be scandalized by today's acceptable behaviors.

My wife hates the 50's XM channel. I tell her it's the only one where you can understand the words in most of the songs, except for some Country Music today...

• uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,054
    I know some older people who make it a point to let everyone know they are into whatever the latest music/movies/whatever are. Some of that strikes me as desperate, LOL. I'm proudly anachronistic, LOL. If my parents listened to the same records I did, I would've rolled my eyes.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,024
    I never heard much of it when I was growing up but when I was older (40's) I took a shine to vintage big band music, the swing band type of stuff, and some of the jazz from that era and a bit later on, stuff like Benny Goodman, Count Basie, Stan Getz, whatever. Tried but could never get into the "deep jazz" of artists like Miles Davis and some of the others in that genre. But whatever, it's like most things, I like some but not all.

I think one of the influences was that when I was in my teens I was a big baseball fan, and liked to listen to distant AM radio for game broadcasts. One of the stations was WNEW in NYC which carried Mets games in the mid-70s. I loved listening to Lindsay Nelson, Ralph Kiner and Bob Murphy do the games, and when they were on the west coast I would often fall asleep before the game ended. I can't tell you how many times I was awakened an hour or so later by this, when the game was over and WNEW went to this show, with this theme song blasting out of the speaker:

https://youtu.be/R_XVRVUtjkg

I took to listening to WNEW at night sometimes just for the music. Learned about a lot of stuff there I had never heard before.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

edited August 2020
    ab348 said:

when I was older (40's) I took a shine to vintage big band music, the swing band type of stuff, and some of the jazz from that era and a bit later on, stuff like Benny Goodman, Count Basie, Stan Getz, whatever.

Les and Larry Elgart? I took to that music like a fish when I was in high school. My much older sister who had really taken care of me because my mother was ill when I was little loaned me her record player and her collection of 45 rpm albums. Among them Elgart big band sounds and Broadway musicals like South Pacific.

Notice I said 45 rpm albums... IIRC sets of 3 records in a multibox.

https://youtu.be/UEaAc6pCJ3E

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,250
    Here's one for Andre. It's a hoot to watch.
    '61 Desoto?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hV0jnePT9E
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Thinking of music - my dad was born in 1937, he kind of predated rock and roll, as he didn't grow up with it, and preferred more mellow music - the music that reminds me of him most is Perry Como and Roger Whittaker Christmas albums. I remember in the early 90s, he somehow found music from the then-current alternative group "Soul Asylum", and liked it, I am pretty sure he even got a tape/CD of the current album. That always amused me.

I too took a liking to some jazz/swing/big band music when I was young, especially when played on a period recording on a period machine, My parents were hobbyist antique dealers, and I had little problem sourcing a vintage radio or record player - I had a small hoard of the former that were sold off at a yard sale when I was a student.

On the road today, an early Spridget and a W123 300D Turbo, with a proper amount of smoke.
    you just find all kinds of weird stuff on Youtube

Here's one for Andre. It's a hoot to watch.
    '61 Desoto?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hV0jnePT9E

Looking at this car reminds me that some people have nerve to criticize the Aztek styling!!!
    Look at the front end on that thing! I'd forgotten how bad that was. And the rear is not much
    better. Desoto had so many great, flamboyant cars, but this is a mistake.

edited August 2020
    RE.: Old Consumer Reports magazines--I saw a bunch of old ones for sale one year at either Hershey or Carlisle. My one friend was an insufferable Packard V8 fan (and I like those cars too), but to get under my skin would compare a Four-Hundred to a Lark Daytona. I'd reply, "You're comparing a Coupe deVille to a Chevy II". I found old CR's where the reliability of Studes was quite ahead of Packards of the years he liked. He didn't like that, LOL.

Which reminds me--I see the Hershey show is now Friday and Saturday, per my friend with the Riv, anyway. We booked a night (Fri.) at the Hershey Lodge, as the rate was $199 for AACA members (which he is). I'm so bored with what's going on, I'm pretty sure I'm back to going there.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
    edited August 2020
    Les Brown and His Band of Renown--I'm reminded of the Gong Show's bandleader, "Milton DeLugg and His Band With a Thug"!

I know Les was first, of course. :)
    I'm sure Les Brown's band name was the inspiration for the DeLugg band.

IIRC in later years Les Brown and His Band of Renown was the house band for the 1960s Dean Martin Show on NBC.

Looking at this car reminds me that some people have nerve to criticize the Aztek styling!!!
    Look at the front end on that thing! I'd forgotten how bad that was. And the rear is not much
    better. Desoto had so many great, flamboyant cars, but this is a mistake.

Actually, when the Aztek first came out, it had what I called the "1961 DeSoto effect", in having upper and lower grille theming that had nothing in relation to each other.

And, the Honda CR-V looked like it was trying to channel the '61 DeSoto for a few years...

The way the headlights and grille slant into each other makes me think of the DeSoto, plus that upper, separate bulge...Just pop that plastic "H" and assorted trim, and put in some metal mesh and "D E S O T O" lettering, and there ya go :p

I actually think the DeSoto looks good from most angles. From the side, it doesn't look that different from a '57-58 DeSoto/Chrysler (at least, the 126" wb cars), just with crisper sculpting. The front-end makes me think a bit of a '58-60 Lincoln, just with a second upper grille added on to fill that spot that would otherwise be the top of the trapezoidal grille on a '61 Chrysler.

The '61 DeSoto, and Chrysler, seemed like a big step backwards from the '60 though, in my opinion. I thought the '60 seemed really crisp, clean, and up to date, style wise. And even though fins were starting to lose their charm by '60, they still wore them well. But then, something about the '61's seemed like a step backward, style wise. I think it was the flat (except for a raised section in the center) hoodline, fairly squared-off front, and low-mounted headlights that made them look modern. But the '61's went back to that look where there was the suggestion of separation between the hood and fender line, with fenders being a bit rounded on top, and the upper headlights being back to about where they were on the older cars, that made them look a bit retrograde.
    edited August 2020
    It's interesting too, how often the '61 DeSoto gets called "Fireflite" or "Adventurer" on various websites. As far as I know, the model names were all dropped that year and they were called simply "DeSotos". The only engine offered was a low-compression 361-2bbl with 265 hp, designed to run on low-octane fuel. Transmission options were a 3-speed on the column or a Torqueflite. I've also heard people swear that the bigger 383 engines, including the 2-bbl, 4-bbl, and cross-ram could be ordered, but I wonder if that's just because owners converted their cars to those engines, after the fact? I guess it's possible, too, that if you knew the right people, you could special order one?

But, by this time, I think they wanted to just get DeSoto out the door and done with, as quickly and with as little fuss as possible.

Kinda makes you wonder too, how much money they would have saved if they simply wrapped up DeSoto after 1960, and not even bothered with a '61? Similar to the '60 Edsel...actually Edsel might have been worse, because they offered a full range of body styles for their abbreviated year. DeSoto just offered the hardtop coupe and hardtop sedan.
    edited August 2020
    MHO only, but when you hear people say 'special ordered' with something the brochure didn't show, I'm skeptical. I think you're right, andre, in that it most likely was people converted the cars over the years. Strikes me that the 'Big Three' then would've been all about production and keeping things moving. Purely conjecture on my part though of course.

I find the '61 DeSoto interesting for its rarity.

The guy who restored my '63 Lark Daytona Skytop in the early nineties (amazingly, I was just IM'ing him), still has his grandmother's '60 DeSoto four-door sedan, in a metallic salmon-y color with white painted top. Nice, original car I remember looking at back then.
    Those CRVs have what I call "underbite".

For special order claims, show me a build sheet/invoice etc backing up the claim. Otherwise, a cool story.

Fintail has an odd "special order" item - the first service on the car was requested to occur at the factory, kind of a factory break-in period, I guess. This was something that could be specified then. I can back it up, as the code for this request is on the data card, and I have the original service booklet, which indeed shows the first service performed at the factory.
    edited August 2020
    At Studebaker, something sorta like that was called "Service for Retail Delivery". My '63 was like that, as it was picked up by the retail customer at the plant. That notation is printed on the production order.
    fintail said:

Those CRVs have what I call "underbite".

For special order claims, show me a build sheet/invoice etc backing up the claim. Otherwise, a cool story.

Fintail has an odd "special order" item - the first service on the car was requested to occur at the factory, kind of a factory break-in period, I guess. This was something that could be specified then. I can back it up, as the code for this request is on the data card, and I have the original service booklet, which indeed shows the first service performed at the factory.

Does that mean it was driven a number of miles and then oil and other services done on the car?

Exactly, the first planned service of oil and I assume others and adjustments (I'd have to check the book) was performed after driven by someone at the factory. It was after a small mileage, under 1000.

Does that mean it was driven a number of miles and then oil and other services done on the car?

I wonder if anyone else did that, or if Stude and MB were linked yet again.

At Studebaker, something sorta like that was called "Service for Retail Delivery". My '63 was like that, as it was picked up by the retail customer at the plant. That notation is printed on the production order.

On the road today saw a MB W123 wagon, black, nice condition, driver and passenger waved at me (I was in the fintail), W113/Pagoda, driver just kind of stared at me in the fintail, white maybe 69 Firebird convertible, a Jag XK120 roadster, 1950 - I know this as it had year of manufacture plates. and the black 94-96 Impala SS that never moves, in the fintail's garage, was driven today - it was there when I picked up the old car, gone when I came back.
    A couple more restored 57 chevys out and about. Been seeing a lot recently. Then shortly after a 65 Chevelle. Amazing how much design changed in 8 years. Don’t get that going from a 2010 to 2018 Malibu!

Right in my neighborhood, a 1974 or thereabouts Chrysler Newport sedan, appearing to be a well-preserved original car. Don't remember ever seeing it around here before.

Driving up my street on the weekend, a '66 Beaumont Sport Deluxe, very loud and low, resto-modded, looked a lot like this one except for an unfortunate choice of a bright non-metallic medium blue paint.

fintail said:

Exactly, the first planned service of oil and I assume others and adjustments (I'd have to check the book) was performed after driven by someone at the factory. It was after a small mileage, under 1000.

Now I think back to when Dad bought the new 1960 Ford. It was run with break in oil for a few hundred miles. Then the oil was changed to a thicker rated oil. This was in case some clearance was too tight and the break in oil would allow it to wear while the thicker regular oil might not have kept it lubed while rubbing away the tight area.

ab348 said:

Right in my neighborhood, a 1974 or thereabouts Chrysler Newport sedan, appearing to be a well-preserved original car. Don't remember ever seeing it around here before.

Driving up my street on the weekend, a '66 Beaumont Sport Deluxe, very loud and low, resto-modded, looked a lot like this one except for an unfortunate choice of a bright non-metallic medium blue paint.

I can't understand ruining a perfectly good car with a set of wheels that bastardizes the classic.

Yeah, the one I saw was even lower than that but had similar wheels.

• omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    edited August 2020
    Even with non-stock color and questionable wheel choice I still like the '66 Chevrolet Malibu better.

That Beaumont nose job was nonclassical in any color/wheel combo compared to the real thing.

edit to add Just my opinion. :smile:
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,849
    stickguy said:

A couple more restored 57 chevys out and about. Been seeing a lot recently. Then shortly after a 65 Chevelle. Amazing how much design changed in 8 years. Don’t get that going from a 2010 to 2018 Malibu!

If you ever see a white 58 Bonneville it’s most likely my uncle. Can’t be too many of them around us.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

edited August 2020
    I almost always like the first year of a body style best, but I liked the '67 Chevelle better than the '66. Come to think of it, I liked the '67 Fairlane better than the '66 too.

BTW, long story short, I sold our old PT Cruiser to a shade-tree mechanic friend an hour away, for the cost of the local shop's diagnosis that I should take it to a dealer, the no-start condition was probably due to a computer. He got the car starting every time (cleaning/replacing some grounds), cleaned it up, and put it on eBay. He got $1,075. We bought it ten years ago for $6,930, and put 92.5K miles on it. It was worth what we paid for it for sure. It came back to us when our daughter got an Equinox three years ago. We live at a busy corner and her old friends used to message her "Are you living back home again?" and/or "Are your parents OK?", LOL.
    Over in the Mystery Car Pics board we have a thing about spotting 1960 Fords lately, in part because @Fintail had one in his family when he was growing up. Recently I discovered I had this article from the August 2008 issue of Hemmings Classic Car about how the design of the '60 Ford came about, and it is pretty interesting in that it gives some insight as to the corporate influences that went on behind the scenes. I scanned it to save it for posterity and the 4 pages are posted below. These all blow up nicely with a right-click if you need a larger version.