Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348
    I drive everything on my side of the garage at least once per week.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    edited August 2020

I drive everything on my side of the garage at least once per week.

The single width driveway I have is a mild hinderance with two cars. I could fit 2-3 more cars, but that would make it a royal pain shuffling cars around.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,513
    actually when I had the Miata I also had my Maxima. I put the Miata in the garage and if I parked the Nissan at the bottom of the driveway, I could snake in around it to get the Mazda in and out of the garage. Helped of course that it was tiny.

only worry was having the wife back her minivan into the Maxima trying to get out of the driveway!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905
    Same basic frame, but really a totally different vehicle.

Different engine and trans
    Different rear suspension
    Different front suspension and steering (rack and pinion)

The late run Panthers were great cars and I enjoyed mine, but the last of the “box” models are the sweet spot of the entire Panther run. Give me an 88-89 Town Car or an 88-91 Vic or Marquis any day.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    tifighter said:

Went camping last night with some friends, did some stargzing, and woke up to this today. Also, the X Camper is comfy-

I have a coworker who went absolutely ga-ga when he first saw those gull wings. He must have opened and closed them a dozen times.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,081
    tifighter said:

Went camping last night with some friends, did some stargzing, and woke up to this today. Also, the X Camper is comfy-

Pretty area. Are the dead trees remnants of the Mt St Helens eruption? (I don't know if you're near that area obvs)

Hope you have enough KWH to get home.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,012
    rayainsw said:

Early morning at the beach in Maine...
    - Ray
    Vacationing !

Great pic!

I spent two weeks in Portland for work, years ago. Lovely town, and had a chance to take a harbor cruise.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

This is what my wife bought me to wear when I return to work Monday.

Love it. Obviously I missed your re-entry into the work force!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    Didn't she realize you have a Mustang? You are going to be thrown out of the club for wearing a Chevy shirt.

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,385
    I have a very similar shirt that I got for father's day that is a picture of a mustang on the front and says "still plays with cars"
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI

This is what my wife bought me to wear when I return to work Monday.

Love it. Obviously I missed your re-entry into the work force!
    I mentioned it over on C&C. I was due to go back Monday but the boss just called and asked if I could start tomorrow. I’m glad, I was starting to think this was permanent.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

stickguy said:

Didn't she realize you have a Mustang? You are going to be thrown out of the club for wearing a Chevy shirt.

She correctly pointed out that she had a Camaro when we met similar to the one on the shirt.

edited August 2020
    I’ve been watching videos on the new HiLux. I want one. But of course, can’t have that here!

One comparison (from Australia) had that and 7 other models. Some interesting stuff. Of which, only the ranger is actually here (there was a Colorado of some sort, not sure if identical). The Mazda looked great. Nice interior. Really an Isuzu uNderneath now. VW Anorak.

So many compact to midsize models out there. Still seems like modern stuff done right should sell here.

Nice looking wagon. Was that a 335 6 speed? X or S drive?

@breld, ask if you can get on "the list" to buy it from the new owner when he's ready to sell!
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    Took the Golf to that indie mechanic my friend uses. Very honest guy, said only the right front axle boot is throwing grease, left one is fine. Said not necessary to change them out in pairs when I asked. Said it's not critical at this point but could wait few months but, will have to be done if the Golf is staying in the stable. Also said vehicles like mine can be "problematic" when we discussed me just sending it away. Said it would be a two hour job and cost somewhere around $350 or so. Felt confident that he wasn't bs'ing me here and will definitely use him in the future.
    So, now I've really got to decide what the next move will be, fix it and keep it until something else happens or stop spending $ on it and get something new. Which brings up what to get and when? Luckily I don't drive much anymore and it's not something I need to do like tomorrow.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Drove a new BMW X3 the other day and was very wowed by how smooth it drove, much better than the Mercedes I drove right before it. Too big for my needs and not sure if I want to go in this direction again. Liking the Mini Cooper still as they fit my size variable perfectly. Have found a couple of the 2019 Countryman's for sale used at the Chevy store across the street. Ex-rentals they seem to be and got a feeling they could be from Enterprise as we do have them in our fleet. Price wise, save a bunch going pre-owned but wondering, is this the sort of vehicle that one should just get brand new? Or do I just get a lower priced Asian vehicle which would be fine also? Luckily I do have some time to think about all this as I think 0% financing ain't going away so soon. For once, I'd love to take advantage of the cheap financing and not pay all cash like we usually do.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

WatchJRGo just bought the cheapest Volvo C30 he could find. Haven't watched the video yet, but thought some here might be interested since I think at least a couple of members have had them.
    corvette said:

WatchJRGo just bought the cheapest Volvo C30 he could find. Haven't watched the video yet, but thought some here might be interested since I think at least a couple of members have had them.

I watched it earlier. Definitely going to have some needs (that will be the next episode), but not bad looking for $3,000. Base model (no roof) and doesn't even have cruise. And sadly, an automatic.

Oh, also featured, one of his cronies picked up an E46 ZHP at the same time, for $3,700. I imagine that one is a bit ratty.

Took the Golf to that indie mechanic my friend uses. Very honest guy, said only the right front axle boot is throwing grease, left one is fine. Said not necessary to change them out in pairs when I asked. Said it's not critical at this point but could wait few months but, will have to be done if the Golf is staying in the stable. Also said vehicles like mine can be "problematic" when we discussed me just sending it away. Said it would be a two hour job and cost somewhere around $350 or so. Felt confident that he wasn't bs'ing me here and will definitely use him in the future.
    So, now I've really got to decide what the next move will be, fix it and keep it until something else happens or stop spending $ on it and get something new. Which brings up what to get and when? Luckily I don't drive much anymore and it's not something I need to do like tomorrow.

Sandy, I assume that was putting a new axle on? Been a while, but I seem to recall that depending on how early you catch it, just the boot can be replaced. But if dirt, etc. got in there, not getting away with that. But, not really a big deal. Happens to a lot of cars.

And if you want my opinion after reading your posts on this, get something you like from the Asian options, but splurge on something a little higher on the trim level scale.

corvette said:

Watched it last night. Since he flipped an S60 with the same engine, he's got a head start on dealing with the issues.

Needs an interior detail, for sure.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348

If you want something new I completely understand, but flipping a car just because it needs a $350 repair?

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    stickguy said:

Nice looking wagon. Was that a 335 6 speed? X or S drive?

328 (no 335 on the wagon unfortunately), 6 speed manual, xdrive, Msport.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

Point is, when does it stop? $359 last month, $350 in a couple of months...when does one just say enough already? Apparently, some do feel these vehicles can be problematic, as he said today, and I don't want to keep dealing with problems. Just that there's not much out there that really makes me want to have it now, nothing gives me that feeling I got within 5 minutes of driving the Golf. So that's where my issue is, not going to buy just to buy. But don't want to make another error like I did back when. So I just do nothing for awhile and continue to think it out.
    Best I think that I think about it in silence. Best for me to just read what y'all are doing and take a break from thinking about it.

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,789
    edited August 2020
    Now that I replaced an axle boot, I would definitely just replace the boot since it is still early in the process (e.g., the CV joint itself has not deteriorated). However, if doing it at a shop, you are not going to save much at all by just replacing the boot, which is why most just put a new half-shaft in there and call it good: Costs about the same, but is way less messy.

For me, though, it was only $25 and a small shred of my remaining sanity. :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,271
    edited August 2020
    Try and look at it from a new monthly payment amount vs random repair $. $700 isn’t bad at all if you like the car. If you don’t like the car or just want something new, then move on and don’t look back.

I’d recommend an Asian vehicle if you move on. You really won’t like the upkeep cost on a European car.
    you can (usually) make the case on a spreadsheet that it is cheaper to keep repairing the old car than to buy the new one. But, many people just don't want to deal with problems and having to get the repairs done. And of course, always some measure of "want new" justification. IMO the not wanting to deal with hassles aspect (and being afraid of breakdowns, etc.) is the bigger issue than the actual cost of the repairs.

so if your current car is giving you grief, and you no longer really trust it, have a yen for something new and have the money to afford it, go for it!

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,081
    If it was me and I still liked/felt an attachment to the vehicle, I would do those sort of minor to moderate repairs 3 or 4 times but I suspect at some point they would push me over the edge.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

corvette said:

He likes the sound system.

Point is, when does it stop? $359 last month, $350 in a couple of months...when does one just say enough already? Apparently, some do feel these vehicles can be problematic, as he said today, and I don't want to keep dealing with problems. Just that there's not much out there that really makes me want to have it now, nothing gives me that feeling I got within 5 minutes of driving the Golf. So that's where my issue is, not going to buy just to buy. But don't want to make another error like I did back when. So I just do nothing for awhile and continue to think it out.
    Best I think that I think about it in silence. Best for me to just read what y'all are doing and take a break from thinking about it.

$350 isn’t too bad for repairs but I get your apprehension at future costs. When I bought the PT Crusier I wanted to keep it until at least 100k miles but it frustrated me at every turn. It didn’t have European fun qualities but it had all the repair bills. I dumped it at 62k miles.

Do you really want to buy a company car? Maybe lease a new one.

hey, the holy grail. Not sure if this one was posted before. I actually tried out that auto tempest. Really works! I love this car (color, equipment, interior and RWD manual). But the combo of steep miles and steep price, is, well, steep. But reading the list of work done, this just might be ready to rock and roll.

https://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/cto/d/new-paltz-2007-bmw-e91-328i-touring-6/7169081549.html

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,385
    E91 6MT wagons are skyrocketing in value.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
    and that one is RWD which must be super rare.

corvette said:

He likes the sound system.
    You can't tell for certain on the video, but what was recorded on camera sounded better than Jake's E46 sound system. I can't believe he hasn't found a buyer for the Kia... got to turn and burn on those fix and sell projects! His Volt would have been a somewhat more economical taxi for them to drive down to Texas to pick up the two project cars.
    stickguy said:

hey, the holy grail. Not sure if this one was posted before. I actually tried out that auto tempest. Really works! I love this car (color, equipment, interior and RWD manual). But the combo of steep miles and steep price, is, well, steep. But reading the list of work done, this just might be ready to rock and roll.

https://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/cto/d/new-paltz-2007-bmw-e91-328i-touring-6/7169081549.html

Sounds like too much $$$ for too many miles. If someone did an engine swap to make it a 335i wagon (and fixed the issues with that engine), it would be really neat.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504

When I bought the PT Crusier I wanted to keep it until at least 100k miles but it frustrated me at every turn. It didn’t have European fun qualities but it had all the repair bills..

Farmer, you've shown me that you're nothing like any farmer I've met over the years. Early on, I needed to learn. That said, did you actually expect the PT Cruiser (Neon w/ different sheet metal) to generate "European fun qualities?"

Just asking -- hoping not to trigger anyone.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    Another video from JRGo on the C30.

I'm starting to have weird fantasies about buying it when he gets it all spruced up, even with 150,000 miles on it.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

When I bought the PT Crusier I wanted to keep it until at least 100k miles but it frustrated me at every turn. It didn’t have European fun qualities but it had all the repair bills..

Farmer, you've shown me that you're nothing like any farmer I've met over the years. Early on, I needed to learn. That said, did you actually expect the PT Cruiser (Neon w/ different sheet metal) to generate "European fun qualities?"

Just asking -- hoping not to trigger anyone.
    No I didn’t. I bought that for my wife because she thought it was “cute” and offered easy egress after she had a stroke. All I wanted was a basic transportation car which held up in a reasonable fashion under my OCD care. Instead it fell apart. My reference to European cars was speaking to Sandy’s VW and the relative high maintenance of such vehicles.

Calling me an atypical farmer I take as a compliment.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    stickguy said:

I can't hack the "eyebrow" front end on the '06/07. Where the chrome strips on the grill are attached to the hood. They fixed that in '08

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

If that’s all that bothers you, I’m sure there is a fix.

I would love a C30 as my replacement car. Later model with power seat moonroof and a manual of course.

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    kyfdx said:

stickguy said:

I can't hack the "eyebrow" front end on the '06/07. Where the chrome strips on the grill are attached to the hood. They fixed that in '08
    Agreed.

We found my wife’s 2010 E91 manual, m-sport advertised on craigslist by a local broker. That was in 2013 and the wagon had 21k miles on it. Pretty much just another car on their lot as far as they were concerned, and I think they were pleased there was someone who wanted it.

Not so much anymore.

We bought it for $32k and kept it for 16 months - pretty good for us, but clearly we should have just held on to that one. Sold it to the next owner in Boston for $29,500.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y