Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,637
    corvette said:

Browsing Craigslist and found this gem: "Tires are in great condition with only 30k miles on them."

Those aren’t wear bars, those are traction bars that put more rubber on the road. Cuts your 0-60 by a couple of seconds. :D

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,257

corvette said:

Browsing Craigslist and found this gem: "Tires are in great condition with only 30k miles on them."

Those aren’t wear bars, those are traction bars that put more rubber on the road. Cuts your 0-60 by a couple of seconds. :D
    It's a shame you have to put 30k miles on a set of tires in order to get to the traction bars!
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,489
    hey, drag racers run slicks, so it will actually work. as long as the road isn't wet!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,709
    Wife and I went out this afternoon for a quick lunch and some Sunday car browsing.

Stumbled upon this that we were quite smitten with.

https://www.schompbmw.com/inventory/used-2017-volvo-v60-t6-r-design-platinum-awd-station-wagon-yv149mssxh1356050

We were at the BMW/MINI dealership first where this wagon is being sold, but didn’t know about it until we came across it at the Volvo dealership where it was apparently getting serviced for the BMW dealership.

Not a bad replacement for the past Polestar. Certainly a bit softer, but that’s kind of a good thing at this point.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,382
    I’m not sure how one goes back to the old infotainment for anything other than a polestar. That’s just me.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,896
    @pensfan83
    Congrats on the new ride! Very nice

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,780
    nyccarguy said:

I saved myself some money this afternoon. I found a guy on YouTube named Eddie’sspeedgarage. He has a 2019 Pilot EXL AWD & posts how to videos of DIY maintenance. I showed my (almost) 14 year old son the video on how to change the cabin filter. He did it. The biggest problem we had was reattaching the soft close latch to the glove box. My daughter (8) helped me change the engine air filter.

That is so great! Man, both of those were very much in need of replacing, too. May you all breathe easier (and not just for the satisfaction of a job well done (and well learned))!

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    sharp looking wagon. I do like the V60,

I’m not sure how one goes back to the old infotainment for anything other than a polestar. That’s just me.

Too late. He said they were "smitten." Breld buys cars for far less than that! ;)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,926
    breld said:

Wife and I went out this afternoon for a quick lunch and some Sunday car browsing.

https://www.schompbmw.com/inventory/used-2017-volvo-v60-t6-r-design-platinum-awd-station-wagon-yv149mssxh1356050

We were at the BMW/MINI dealership first where this wagon is being sold, but didn’t know about it until we came across it at the Volvo dealership where it was apparently getting serviced for the BMW dealership.

Not a bad replacement for the past Polestar. Certainly a bit softer, but that’s kind of a good thing at this point.

So where does this fit in your lineup? I honestly forget what you have right now other than the v90, and I know that can’t go anywhere. Can you really tolerate two volvo wagons in the house at the same time? And what makes this v60 better than the polestar you already dumped?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

That’s pretty much exactly how our conversation went later this evening.

qbrozen said:

breld said:

So where does this fit in your lineup? I honestly forget what you have right now other than the v90, and I know that can’t go anywhere. Can you really tolerate two volvo wagons in the house at the same time? And what makes this v60 better than the polestar you already dumped?
    Well, it doesn’t really fit, so I think it’s a no go.

And definitely not better than the Polestar, but we thought it could be a tamer less expensive version.

didn't you do the tamer, less expensive option at least once (Durango) and regret it? any others (only 1 Mecan, right?)

stickguy said:

didn't you do the tamer, less expensive option at least once (Durango) and regret it? any others (only 1 Mecan, right?)

Yes - had a “starter” V6 Durango and upgraded to the RT.

Only one Macan, an S model. She was considering a base Macan this last go around. Would’ve been interesting to see how that went.

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,966
    The Accent is home for a few days so took it up to T P this morning to get some air added to the tires. My friend found that all four were down about 4 pounds each which wasn't too bad as the tire icon never came on. He also fixed up the bent bolt on hub cap the kid had mangled when she hit a curb like eight weeks ago. Looks bent still, but more flush and not digging into the steel wheel underneath. She thought her front tire was low and maybe needed to be replaced due to the hit. Since she told me the icon never once came on, I knew the tire was fine with no leak. She's just at 3K today after almost 8 months of ownership, she don't drive too much. Planning on doing an oil change once she gets to 4K, she has 3 free ones at the dealership.
    Overall, the Accent is a very good vehicle and meets all her needs. It's the base model which suits her just fine. I'd have gone with the top model and gotten the alloys, roof, and SAT radio but that's not her, so she's good.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

At this juncture, a decision has been made. Plan on fixing the axle boot in a couple of months at that indie mechanic's place. The more I thought about it, makes the most sense. My driving miles have decreased by over 3/4's and if I do 5K this year, I'll be lucky. With the accident on Car Fax plus the higher mileage, probably wouldn't get much more than $8K on a trade, if that much. And lastly, nothing out there I really really want right now truthfully.
    So probably wisest to just do the repair and spend the $350 and be done with it. And just hope that nothing else will go wrong here. Wait and see what the 2021's look like and go from there.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,382
    edited August 2020
    @Sandman6472 - I think that is the wisest course of action. But to be clear, you have a 5 year old european car with 60-70k miles on it (I forget the exact number). Things will start to wear out and need replacing - doesn't mean the car is unreliable, just means it is going to start having some needs. If you like it, it is most certainly worth fixing. I don't know a lot about the generation of Golf, but I don't think it was known for particularly big issues.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
    Plus, the steepest part of the depreciation curve is likely done. Not going to change much in value in another 1-2 years with low miles going on it. Certainly less than a new car will, plus you get all the costs associated with that (doc fees, dmv, taxes). Still ahead with a few minor wear item repairs, plus you like the car.

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    Uh oh - when a “wisest choice” means keeping a car rather than trading for another, it could mean probation on CCBA - careful now, treading on dangerous ground.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    dunt dunt dunt dunt (Jaws music)....@breld, which car is on the block?
    Yep, and thanks guys on your opinions. Just got over 64.5K or so miles on it and with the low miles I'm driving anyways, doesn't make sense to go buy new at this point. Spend the $350 soon, he said it wasn't critical quite yet so can wait till next month if need be. And already have the new tires mounted 11 months ago which have great tread left. And I do like it, still, after all the issues so far, boils down to I like it. Fits my garage space perfectly.
    So yep, that's the plan going forward and will fix it. And save myself a lot of dough right now.

LOL. I think we're sitting tight on our fleet for the time being. Fact is, if my wife could readily replace her GLC with that Volvo V60, she'd probably do that, but it's not at all practical (I know, when does that stop us). If anything, my wife has her annual MINI fever, so if the right one came available used, we could potentially add one to the fleet. To be honest, if we had purchased the house last year with the 4 car garage, I think she'd have her MINI, but right now we're a little tight on parking spots, as my stepdaughter's Jetta is taking up a spot in the driveway.

• ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,194
    For quite a while now, I have approached the car buying process with the goal of staggering them out so there would only be one car payment at a time. As it stands now, when the RDX is paid off, it'll be 8 years old with 110-120K while the Jetta will be 10 years old with 85-90K. And at those low miles there will be no hurry to replace the Jetta, and by the time the wife is ready for something new, both cars will be pretty long in the tooth.

The rationalizations we CCBs go through. If I get something newer it resets the clock, so I won't be driving as old of a vehicle, however many years down the road, when we are paying for the Jetta replacement!
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
    that was always my plan. no more than 1 loan, and pay off early and have at least a couple years loan free. Unfortunately, at some point (blame 2 kids through college) that went way off the rails. But as soon as my car lease ends, going back to that. no replacement that requires borrowing, until the RDX is paid off (usually would do that early, but not at .9%)

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,553
    We had one car payment for a year and 2 months after the Altima was paid off. However the money was just shifted to our HELOC that was bloated from 2 big projects so we never really got used to the extra money in our account.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,908

You guys like your Volvo wagons. I got to drive one today. Great color.

And what were your thoughts about it?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,257
    Is that a V90? I love that color.
    is that long enough for a 90? I assumed it would be a 60. Non-XC V90s are super rare.

what color interior is that? I love the car, and the color.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,341
    I'm still looking. My SA is back to work and is checking out the F80 M3 at my dealer.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Yes; wow... that is beautiful!

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,131
    Pic of actual car? Ex-Hertz? (I know the had Volvos) - surprised to see one that looks well-optioned. Quite an unusual car without of the cladding.
    Michaell said:

And what were your thoughts about it?
    Comfortable but seemed underpowered. Not sure what engine it had. I was driving in the city so I could’ve assess the handling.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

edited August 2020
    corvette said:

Is that a V90? I love that color.

A V60 I believe. Not the actual car but looked just like this. I was struck by the color. Black interior though. It had about 11k on it so it could have been one we bought from Hertz. We did have a bunch of Volvos bought new last year.

We have purchased 200k cars from Hertz and Avis in the last few months. So many that it’s disrupting the used car market.

I am sure it was a T5, so the base 2.0T with something like 250 HP.

Yes, that's a V60. You can tell by the bumper. Had to be a T5 because there is no way you'd feel any other was underpowered.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,896
    edited August 2020
    Yeah the T6 is pretty quick. I really enjoy the extra power over the T5.

It also has a good bit of grunt down low which is surprising consider how small the engine is.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    So let's see since the last time I was here we punched our card twice I think. Daughter traded the Compass back in for a '19 Escape. A week ago we traded hubby's '16 Fusion in for an '18 Ram 2500 cummins and sold our '01 Silverado 2500HD. Funny thing about the Silverado is I sold it in 4 hours for the same amount I paid for it 6 years ago, was really a great truck.

Now this leads me to Friday afternoon and one stop sign running lady in a Volvo XC60.....RIP my beloved '17 Cherokee.....I will miss you. While it hasn't been officially totaled I don't believe it will be resurrected from its current state. It was towed to impound and they didn't tarp it, since Friday was such a nice day I had the sunroof open so in addition to the significant damage it already incurred it now has a drenched interior. Should have the official word this week but I'm starting to look around since we are down to basically 1 vehicle unless we swipe the kid's Escape.

How do I even replace the perfect car?

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,603
    Looks like quite an impact. Good to hear that you are okay...

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

ouch. most important, hopefully you (and anyone else in the car) are OK. But I agree, they are not fixing that for the salvage price.

if you liked it that much, just get another one. Maybe a couple years newer.

stickguy said:

ouch. most important, hopefully you (and anyone else in the car) are OK. But I agree, they are not fixing that for the salvage price.

if you liked it that much, just get another one. Maybe a couple years newer.

I've thought about getting a new one but I'm not sure I can get past comparing the 2, I adored this Jeep, it never gave me a seconds trouble, always kept me out of trouble in the winter, took a hit by an F-250 in 2018 like a boss. It was just an awesome Jeep.

We are all more or less ok, my knee is banged up, I have a concussion, my little guy is scared to ride in a car, hubby is bruised and sore.

I hit her going around 50 mph, I never even had time to react, she stopped right in front of me.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    Isell was asking after you a few weeks ago -- he's back now from time to time after several years of absence.

Good to hear from the old-timers.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    Glad you’re okay @akangl!

Regarding the V60, @jpp75 really wanted one but just couldn’t get past the underpowered feel of the T5. The V60 is available in a T8 Polestar version (PHEV) with something like 400ish hp, but it’s close to $70k and it seems Volvo made like 8 of them for the U.S.

@jpp75 ended up with a CPO 2017 V90 CC - didn’t need the extra space but really wanted the T6.

It’s really too bad Audi won’t bring the S4 Avant here to the states. The RS6 Avant is certainly a halo car, but why not bring the S4 over for something attainable?

I've been out of the SUV loop for almost 4 years, so unless some miracle happens (like my Cherokee fixes itself) I'm shopping this week. What should I look at? Here's my short (or not) list. Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, Sante Fe, Blazer, VW Atlas Cross Sport, XC60 (Why not I know it can take a hit!), and Rav 4. Basically it has to be SAFE, have some fun factor, AWD, trying to stay under $50k, and no smaller than the Cherokee. I don't drive much, maybe 9-10k/year so gas mileage isn't a huge factor.
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    @pensfan83 : What do you think about your new RDX so far?

@akangl : Glad you and your family are more or less ok. Best wishes.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,414
    @akangl - wishing your family a speedy recovery. Very scary for sure.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

edited August 2020
    Ouch, @akangl . That is totaled, without a shadow of a doubt.
    $50k is quite the budget. I’d suggest a look at a slightly used for any of those, especially the volvo They depreciate fast. Maybe the rav4 is the only one that makes sense new. Very very different pricepoints there, though. Just get out and test them all.

To add to the list, how about the CX5 turbo? Used bmw X3? Used benz GLC?