Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    Okay, for @oldfarmer50

Here's your old geezer Porsche from Florida https://carsandbids.com/auctions/9AE7OmDA/2014-porsche-cayman
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    I really need to stop looking at car auctions, however, you Prelude lovers out there, this one is for you (and under 100K miles!).

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/3ReOopbR/1995-honda-prelude-vtec
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,486

Why on earth is a 227k mile Acura TL on Cars and Bids? I don't care the pedigree at this point. I'd be more interested if it had 750k miles...

If I wanted a high mile Acura TL I'd look on craigslist....

need volume. and it is a friend of his.

He did say it would be an assortment of interesting cars.

I actually think it is smart to have some cheaper stuff on there (maybe not that cheap). If everything is high priced fancy stuff, the average guy loses interest.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,709
    It'll be interesting to see how that Prelude does - I don't believe it's nearly as desired as the final gen, though I loved mine (Si model).

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

nice enough Prelude.. Curious how high that one goes. Should do well.

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,553
    That Prelude is due for a timing belt and if the ABS light is for the pump motor that's not an inexpensive fix. Looks relatively clean though.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP

Why on earth is a 227k mile Acura TL on Cars and Bids? I don't care the pedigree at this point. I'd be more interested if it had 750k miles...

I'd also be looking for a TL-S only.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    pensfan83 said:

That Prelude is due for a timing belt and if the ABS light is for the pump motor that's not an inexpensive fix. Looks relatively clean though.

maybe you should run yours!

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,131
    edited August 2020
    This old thing on Cars and Bids is nice looking and cheap - good color, looks well-kept. Still in that uncomfortable position of being too new to be old (due to the modern styling), too old to be new.

The comments are amusing, too - it's a Doug production, so it can be like a cross between Jalopnik and Youtube comment quality (I don't mean that in a good way). Whine about the AC not working - it's a $1300 car.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,410
    andres3 said:

I really need to stop looking at car auctions, however, you Prelude lovers out there, this one is for you (and under 100K miles!).

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/3ReOopbR/1995-honda-prelude-vtec

A Milano Red 4th Gen would look nice in the driveway next to my Milano Red 5th Gen Prelude.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

that 190 does nothing for me really.

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,966
    Drove a new Rav4 XLE AWD yesterday and I liked it to be honest. Drove very nicely, had ample power when I needed to merge on to I-95 and the interior wasn't that bad. Not a fan of Toyota infotainment units for some reason, other makes do it so much better! But, I liked it and would be happy to own one myself. The size was nice to.
    We're much slower now that there isn't much air travel down to Florida. Been working 8 hour days for the most part and only 3 days/week. Luckily we got a $1.25 raise on August 1st which helps a bit. But, hopefully in time, air travel will pick up so more folks will be renting vehicles from us so I can get more hours. Also, not everyone was called back to work either. A couple of the older men passed, some of the more problematic folks are still gone and then there are the folks who wanted to keep getting their unemployment and never called to come back. But with what's going on, a smaller work force is what we're dealing with. Only time will tell, as the number of new cases and deaths are still ramping upwards, with no end in sight! We're going into uncharted territory and only G-d knows what the eventual outcome will be.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,780
    fintail said:

This old thing on Cars and Bids is nice looking and cheap - good color, looks well-kept. Still in that uncomfortable position of being too new to be old (due to the modern styling), too old to be new.

The comments are amusing, too - it's a Doug production, so it can be like a cross between Jalopnik and Youtube comment quality (I don't mean that in a good way). Whine about the AC not working - it's a $1300 car.

I hate to point this out, but if the last owner had it since new, that's 35 years, not 25. Yeah, I know. We're ALL getting old! :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    The white Model X on Cars&Bids tweaks my knickers a bit with "Enhanced Autopilot" listed as the second highlighted bullet point. Very misleading for potential buyers, since they will not get any such benefit upon registration of new ownership. Tesla will not hesitate to give them a swift kick in the 'nads if they are stupid enough to pay the current owner for that "feature."
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    xwesx said:

fintail said:

I hate to point this out, but if the last owner had it since new, that's 35 years, not 25. Yeah, I know. We're ALL getting old! :D
    Whenever new employees start with my group I set aside time to get to the know them and what they like to do when not working. One employee was particularly interested in my background and when I said I started with the company in 2005 she practically screamed "WOW, OH MY GOD THAT'S A WHILE AGO"

There's more but let's just say by the end of the conversation I felt like I should putting in for retirement :)
    Yeah, I'm here since 2001. I surely WISH I could put in for retirement, but at least I'm much closer to the end now than to the beginning!
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,635
    andres3 said:

For your Acura and stick lovers out there:

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/KVXJZxnz/2005-acura-tl

It has a good 2,300 miles left in her. I'll give you a $500 warranty. Who wants to go halfers?

Red meat for the fan bois.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

andres3 said:

Okay, for @oldfarmer50

Here's your old geezer Porsche from Florida https://carsandbids.com/auctions/9AE7OmDA/2014-porsche-cayman

Rings all the bells as far as mileage is concerned but even I would want a standard shift in a car like that.

I know that the vast majority of Corvettes (90%?) are sold with automatics. What’s the percentage with Porsche?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

Drove a new Rav4 XLE AWD yesterday and I liked it to be honest. Drove very nicely, had ample power when I needed to merge on to I-95 and the interior wasn't that bad. Not a fan of Toyota infotainment units for some reason, other makes do it so much better! But, I liked it and would be happy to own one myself. The size was nice to.
    We're much slower now that there isn't much air travel down to Florida. Been working 8 hour days for the most part and only 3 days/week. Luckily we got a $1.25 raise on August 1st which helps a bit. But, hopefully in time, air travel will pick up so more folks will be renting vehicles from us so I can get more hours. Also, not everyone was called back to work either. A couple of the older men passed, some of the more problematic folks are still gone and then there are the folks who wanted to keep getting their unemployment and never called to come back. But with what's going on, a smaller work force is what we're dealing with. Only time will tell, as the number of new cases and deaths are still ramping upwards, with no end in sight! We're going into uncharted territory and only G-d knows what the eventual outcome will be.

These are indeed strange times. Monday I was paired with the office secretary as my chase driver and one of the lot guys. Seems there’s no work for them so they were offered driver positions ahead of the regular crew based on their seniority. A bit unfair in my opinion but not as bad as making the rental agents clean cars all day in the hot sun if they wanted to keep their jobs.

Strange.

pensfan83 said:

xwesx said:

fintail said:

Whenever new employees start with my group I set aside time to get to the know them and what they like to do when not working. One employee was particularly interested in my background and when I said I started with the company in 2005 she practically screamed "WOW, OH MY GOD THAT'S A WHILE AGO"

There's more but let's just say by the end of the conversation I felt like I should putting in for retirement :)
    Sometimes you can use your age to impress people. When I was applying for driving jobs I would put in my resume’ that I hadn’t had an at fault accident since Jimmy Carter was president. Got three calls.

• akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    Finally tracked my Jeep down today, nobody knew where it was or at least they weren't telling me. It apparently left impound today and was hauled to an "inspection station" 60 miles away instead of a body shop close by. The place is called Co-Part which I know is basically a salvage yard that holds auctions for wrecked cars. Once I finally got an answer I was told it was taken there because its flagged as a potential total loss and the insurance company doesn't want to pay the storage fees that a body shop charges. IF its fixable it will be hauled back the 60 miles to a body shop.

I picked up a rental today.....they gave me a 2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited.....

andres3 said:

Okay, for @oldfarmer50

Rings all the bells as far as mileage is concerned but even I would want a standard shift in a car like that.

I know that the vast majority of Corvettes (90%?) are sold with automatics. What’s the percentage with Porsche?
    probably just as high. I know some models (higher performance especially) don't even offer a stick usually.

your Cherokee isn't going to be fixed. Way too much damage to fix for what the payoff is. Might not even be possible. And that is before they let it flood inside!

CoPart is a big wreck auction. There is a whole subset of Youtubers that shop there for units to rebuild. But not something as serious as yours. Unless it was a Ferrari maybe!

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,382
    Odds that WatchJRGo picks up @akangl’s Cherokee?
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI

Odds that WatchJRGo picks up @akangl’s Cherokee?

samcrac

stickguy said:

your Cherokee isn't going to be fixed. Way too much damage to fix for what the payoff is. Might not even be possible. And that is before they let it flood inside!

CoPart is a big wreck auction. There is a whole subset of Youtubers that shop there for units to rebuild. But not something as serious as yours. Unless it was a Ferrari maybe!

*sigh* IF it doesn't come back I'm going to watch the auctions and see if it goes through. I'm still holding on to a string of hope but slowly coming to terms with the fact I probably won't see her again. The claims adjuster told me to start shopping.....
    akangl said:

The claims adjuster told me to start shopping.....

Hahaha! That's not the writing on the wall; it is a billboard exclaiming for all to see...

akangl said:

stickguy said:

*sigh* IF it doesn't come back I'm going to watch the auctions and see if it goes through. I'm still holding on to a string of hope but slowly coming to terms with the fact I probably won't see her again. The claims adjuster told me to start shopping.....
    the people that do this all the time generally know right away if it is going to be totaled, even if it takes the company a bit to make it formal. Sending it out to the salvage yard tells you all you need to know

so, anyone feeling really, really (as in hitting powerball) lucky? Other than the nice colors, this car has nothing going for it. Just reading what the seller disclosed, I bet it could hoover $20K out of your wallet before you even had it nominally road worthy.

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/rjLa5Gy2/1987-jaguar-xjs-v12-coupe

Now this one, would be a cool car for a spare/toy. Not sure I even fit though (been a real long time since I sat in this generation).

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/9lvEPPEm/2002-toyota-celica-gt-s

So should I get a red JGC? They have a cool color called redline, I'm kinda digging it. Figure I might as well try to move on......still holding on tightly to my string of hope though! I really do miss my bright blue Cherokee, never missed a car so much before, strange territory for me!
    I am a big red fan now. My TLX is the bright red. Though I do like more muted, darker ones too. they can look really sharp. The one Fintail posted a picture of upthread might be nice.

this the redline? Pretty close to my car. Looks sharp. You obviously aren't afraid of something flashy, considering the color the old car was!

stickguy said:

I am a big red fan now. My TLX is the bright red. Though I do like more muted, darker ones too. they can look really sharp. The one Fintail posted a picture of upthread might be nice.

this the redline? Pretty close to my car. Looks sharp. You obviously aren't afraid of something flashy, considering the color the old car was!

Yes that's the redline, I love flashy colors, I don't like the boring grey, black, silver that everyone else drives. It would of course be a Trailhawk. When I bought my Cherokee she was the only Hydro Blue Trailhawk in the area for a long time, as of Friday she was only one of 4 Hydro Blue Trailhawks but the only Trailhawk Plus. I enjoy being different.

You're right I am holding on to what she was and I know she would never be the same but dang it I loved that Jeep.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504

If I wanted a high mile Acura I'd buy it new.

Imagine

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,923
    I had a random thought this evening. Well, not totally random, but it came to me when looking at an SL on carsandbids. My wife has always wanted an SL. I wonder what she’d think about receiving one as a gift for our 20th anniversary in Oct.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,382
    You’re REALLY grasping for an excuse to add to the fleet. Lol.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
    edited August 2020
    akangl said:

Finally tracked my Jeep down today, nobody knew where it was or at least they weren't telling me. It apparently left impound today and was hauled to an "inspection station" 60 miles away instead of a body shop close by. The place is called Co-Part which I know is basically a salvage yard that holds auctions for wrecked cars. Once I finally got an answer I was told it was taken there because its flagged as a potential total loss and the insurance company doesn't want to pay the storage fees that a body shop charges. IF its fixable it will be hauled back the 60 miles to a body shop.

I picked up a rental today.....they gave me a 2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited.....

Your car will probably next appear in a YouTube video. I figure AAR and Weird Beard.

qbrozen said:

I had a random thought this evening. Well, not totally random, but it came to me when looking at an SL on carsandbids. My wife has always wanted an SL. I wonder what she’d think about receiving one as a gift for our 20th anniversary in Oct.

With your wife being a kindred CCB spirit that might fly at your house, it would probably get me kicked out of mine. ;)

Is anyone following the story of Vroom losing big money by miscalculating demand during the pandemic? Seems they sold all their cars early on and now are taking a bath trying to replenish stock in an environment where dealers are paying over retail at auctions.

My experience was that sellers were scrambling to get rid of cars back in May and June but who could have predicted the surge in demand since July? I’m guessing that CarMax and Carvana are in the same situation.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,410
    @oldfarmer50 - as long as you are saving your pennies, make sure you save your dimes. Giddyup Giddyup ...

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

qbrozen said:

With your wife being a kindred CCB spirit that might fly at your house, it would probably get me kicked out of mine. ;)

Is anyone following the story of Vroom losing big money by miscalculating demand during the pandemic? Seems they sold all their cars early on and now are taking a bath trying to replenish stock in an environment where dealers are paying over retail at auctions.

My experience was that sellers were scrambling to get rid of cars back in May and June but who could have predicted the surge in demand since July? I’m guessing that CarMax and Carvana are in the same situation.
    You’re thinking of Breld’s wife. Lol.

I know vroom and carvana have been overpaying as of late. I should probably see what they’d give for the wife’s X2. We really like it but aren’t using all the miles we are paying for.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Geesh. Actually not bad on the bimmer. I don’t have exact BMWFS numbers, but my rough estimate is that they are only $1k below buyout (probably even less since I’m guesstimating using remaining payments sans tax plus what my memory tells me is residual).

BUT, I just recalled we paid a fair amount at signing ($2500? I think). We’ve had it 20 mos now. So $3500 total OOP divided by 20 mos is $175/mo on top of the $340/mo payment. So, no, not a wise way to go. We’ll keep it. We do try to use it for most travel these days since we are paying for the miles.

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,257
    edited August 2020
    Did WatchJRGo broom the Saab 9-5? Haven't seen it featured since it got a new windshield and a detail. Looked like he had it pretty much sorted.
    I should run the Tacoma, we're under mileage there.
    corvette said:

Did WatchJRGo broom the Saab 9-5? Haven't seen it featured since it got a new windshield and a detail. Looked like he had it pretty much sorted.

I think he traded it for some other hooptie. But somehow it’s gone.

I should see if they want my TLX now. Last time I checked I think it was $1,000s apart. If they would just take it off my hands for a signature I’d hand over the keys no problem.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,071
    akangl said:

So should I get a red JGC? They have a cool color called redline, I'm kinda digging it. Figure I might as well try to move on......still holding on tightly to my string of hope though! I really do miss my bright blue Cherokee, never missed a car so much before, strange territory for me!

Yes, Jolie, you need to say goodbye to that Hydro Blue Cherokee you loved so much. You'll still have the memories, but it's not coming back, and you wouldn't want it to anyway after what its gone through.

As to red: my Cutlass is a shade of solid non-metallic red, and my last 2 new cars have been a metallic red. Obviously I like red, and lots of other people seem to as well. One thing I've noticed (this may be just me, so take it with a grain of salt) is that a solid red looks good on certain vehicles - sporty cars, vintage cars and the like - but on others it just doesn't seem to fit. I saw a first-gen Buick Lacrosse on the lots here years ago in a similar solid bright red to that on my Cutlass and figured it was a special order for the fire department or whatever. Turned out it wasn't, that GM made a decision to offer it on the Lacrosse and Impala late in that model year for some reason. Just didn't fit. You see that color on econoboxes sometimes too and it doesn't work there either.

I think the GC color you're looking at is a pearl red so it probably is fine and should look better than just a solid red. They seem to offer only a muted selection of colors on those so that is probably the best you're going to do.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

I learned long ago that you have to see a car in the flesh to decide on a color. And outside. Doing it from pictures online, risky business.

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,257
    edited August 2020
    Ordered a new rearview mirror for the G37. When I bought the car, it had a scratch in the middle, which is annoying. For some reason, I thought it would be expensive to replace, which is why I had avoided doing it, but it was only $31 with tax and shipping on eBay. Has Homelink and a compass just like the old one.