Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Crew - Meet The Members II

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Perhaps, but the Kia's air bag went off! Yowza! In a 5pmh collision? Can you say recall?

I value the findings given all the "parking by braille" that seems to occur nowadays. I see cars or trucks tapping other vehicles, and the owner doesn't even blink - they drive right off.

Most people have insurance but you're still paying the deductible. So I look at the out-of-pocket expense. For the Forester it's $10, $0, $500, $500. That's the lowest (with my insurance) among all small SUVs.

The Impreza would be $413, $456, $500, $500, in other words maybe it does deserve the Marginal rating. Legacy scores pretty well, though.

-juice
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Probably too late for Patti, but rear leg room is what I'd be interested in.

I'm a little suprised at the Impreza's results. How did it fare in 2001? I wonder how different the bumper construction is compared to a Forester given that they share the same platform.

Ken
    Maybe they tested a Forester L, with an unpainted bumper? The bumper cover is really cheap, at just $150. Painting it may double the cost, and the Impy's bumpers are all painted.

-juice
  • bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    That's it? They only tested the bumper? What about their infamous frontal offset test? That's the one that I want to see. I ripped my bumper off and replaced it for $625. Didn't bother with a claim since my deductible is $500.

Ken - The Impreza hasn't been tested since ~1997. That was an NHTSA test and it rated 4 out of 5 stars.

I'm ready to see an NHTSA and IIHS frontal crash tests.

-Dennis
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    on the PR Newswire site that 37% of all new station wagons sold and registered in the USA last year were Subarus!

Bob
  • lucien2lucien2 Member Posts: 2,984
    erm, that winter sports one has been up for almost 2 months.....
    That's amazing, considering Subaru only has 1% market share. That's change as the crossover market expand, though I think Subaru can still have sales growth if the overall market expands.

-juice
  • cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
  • subaru_teamsubaru_team Member Posts: 1,676
    last night had the bumper crash tests. The Impreza got a lot of air time (not good, IMO).

Bob
    I think that the 40 mph front offset crash test is a bit more telling.

Patti
    Because the Kia did so poorly in the bumper tests—and because the Subaru was tested with the Kia—it's going to get more bad press than if the Kia had been tested separately, as this links shows.

Bob

http://www.auto.com/industry/bump14_20020314.htm
    On two local new channels (probably more) they had the bumper story and the CR story (WRX most fun).

On the Fox Channel, they were driving around Manhattan in a blue 5-speed WRX sedan with a guy from CR. They were going nowhere fast, but were really praising the WRX.

I doubt the bumper story will hurt Subaru as far as the general public is concerned. Have the bad SUV bumper stories hurt the sales of SUV's?

-Dennis
    will hurt to some degree. Especially for customers who are debating the purchase of an Impreza with another brand, and who are on the fence. It certainly won't help.

Bob
    notice that Town Hall is acting weird this morning?

When I click on a forum, it takes me back 20 posts, not the the one I most recently visited!?

Bob
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    since last night.

-mike
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    ...is probably what is causing the glitches today. It went live last night. Interestingly, the hosts have had access to if for almost a month and there have been no problems from what we've observed. Perhaps when making it available to the 500,000 or so registered members...it gets hinky. Everything is being reported and tech is as on top of it as they can get. Hopefully this is only temporary.

What is the new functionality? Whenever a member creates a new discussion, they will be required to categorize it. (This does not apply to the clubs as the discussions can be created by the host only, BUT you can also suggest categories for the discussions.) Why did Edmunds do this? Here is the official statement:

In addition to your discussion's title, we ask that you help categorize your discussion by selecting at least one make/model or vehicle type. In some message boards, you may also choose from a list of additional topics. Categorizing your discussion helps other Edmunds.com visitors find your discussion -- both in and out of Town Hall.

Your selected categories are displayed in the discussion header. This allows Town Hall visitors and members to see, at a glance, your discussion's topics.

Edmunds.com also uses these categories to select appropriate Town Hall discussions for the "Consumer Opinions" section of our new and used vehicle detail pages. These pages help Edmunds.com users make informed automotive decisions. In turn, your categorization helps other users to be aware of what you and the rest of the community think about specific vehicles.

Thank you for helping us improve Town Hall and Edmunds.com.

This will also be instrumental in finally providing a reliable search function. Something that I'm sure all of the Crew (AND ME!!!!!) will be thrilled to see!

If you have any questions, please post them in Our Software: Your Questions Answered.Thanks!

KarenS
    Senior Host
    Owners Clubs

I've noticed, if you select "Check Spelling" first, then "Post My Message," you don't get that 115 character limit warning!

Bob
    That is some heckuva link! You posted while I was composing my last note and I thought I had done something to skew the page. Here's the link you posted after being sent through http://www.makeashorterlink.com, which is a great little tool for those loooooooooong links.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?O2275088

Would you mind deleting your post, so the page is back to normal?

Thanks!

KarenS

Host

Owners Clubs

lucien2 Mar 13, 2002 11:56am
    I thought the same thing when I got the notice, but the survey they supposedly changed is the one under "What's Your Opinion".
    KarenS
    Host
    Owners Clubs
    That is a good link. Unfortunately, it doesn't allow one to post any comments about the link. So, I deleted the link as you requested, but posted below my comment.

Re: CR post

"At least it didn't flip."

Bob
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    I'm glad to hear I wasn't the only one getting that "20 posts back" phenomenon.

It's been a while since we had technical glitches on Edmund's. Karen, you've guys have been doing a great job, IMO.

Ken
    Kia has a problem here - air bags should not be going off at that speed. Owners are beginning to express concern. If they are really so "improved", a recall is the only way to fix this.

Thing is, it's a bumper test, not a safety test, yet it revealed a safety concern. Imagine air bags going off in parking lots.

Anxious to see those IIHS offset crash test results, which are IMO far more important.

-juice
    Those deployed airbags raised the repair costs by about $3K.

Bob
    seems to be working properly now.

Bob
  • armac13armac13 Member Posts: 1,129
  • hammersleyhammersley Member Posts: 684
    ditto here... was weird yesterday and early this AM - back to "normal" now. Glad it wasn't the hallucination I thought it was!

If y'all still want snow - just ask... seems everytime I even think about taking the snow tires off.. poof! It snows! Never sticks, but is it still an omen? :)

Probably won't get to chat tonight, as I already have to be two other places at the same time (wrestling practice, school auction meeting) - I like tho think I'm good at multitasking, but I'm not *that* good!

Cheers!
    Paul
    Just read about the Forester updates, and I'm glad to say that Subaru has been listening. Patti has once again done a great job getting our feedback to the people that need it.

I was surprised, no, shocked, to see that even the towing capacity was boosted to 2400 lbs for manual trans models. More refined, more rear seat room, turbo on the way.

Way to go. :-)

-juice
  • nygregnygreg Member Posts: 1,936
    Although most recognize it is mainly cosmetic (Kia not withstanding), it is not good press. People might not remember the specifics, just that "Impreza bumpers are cheap". I liked Mitsubishi's reply - we are not happy with our results and will investigate what can be done to improve the performance. (or something to that effect). This is the type of response that gains people's confidence.

BTW - trying to keep up with posts, but, work has been nuts lately. Will miss the chat tonight due to a hockey game. Sorry for being a no show lately.

Greg
    Well, Mitsu also covered up all those safety recalls. So they fix things that are public and hide things that aren't? Pretty sneaky.

-juice
  • jimmyp1jimmyp1 Member Posts: 640
    Was the Loyale the predecessor to the Legacy, or the Impreza, or neither? Discussion going on on a different board. I see that Loyales went up to about 1993 or 1994, so maybe it wasn't the Legacy's predecessor, like I was thinking. Patti?

Jim
    The Loyale line was in place from (I think)1980 through some models that we had in 94. They were the "only" Subaru's. In the '90's we added the Legacy and the Impreza line ups.

I can get you real dates once I'm at work if you need them. The mind is a bit feeble tonight.

I'm going to try to make the chat tonight, but I can't promise. Major "Mom with driving duty" evening.

I hope to see you all later!

Patti
  • kate5000kate5000 Member Posts: 1,271
    although in 1993 Impreza was viewed by many dealers as a replacement for Loyale, in fact, they both peacefully co-existed in 1993 and 1994. I think only 4wd Loyale wagon made it into 1994, but in 1993 they had a full line-up: wagon and sedan, both in 2WD or 4WD configuration. Note that Loyale name only appeared in 1990, prior to that basically the same car was named Subaru DL or GL or GL-10.
    I think Legacy was introduced in 1990.
    In addition, there were other -- now discontinued -- Subaru models: SVX, XT/XT6, and beloved little Justy.
    Kate really knows her stuff! :-)

Chat's starting any minute now...

-juice
  • jimmyp1jimmyp1 Member Posts: 640
    Thank you, ladies!

Jim
    did manage to pull out most of the models. In additon there was the RX which could also be considered a predicessor to the impreza line.

-mike
    Good news on the 88 XT6 AT! Since it was warm yesterday I managed to crawl under it. Found out the problem is a bent lower control arm, and a bent stabalizer rod. The cross member and frame are not in fact bent so it looks like I'll be fixing it up eventually. Most likely it will be an ongoing summer project for me.

-mike
  • fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    Nice chat last night.

Pat, my 'whose relative' comment was just a joke. Realized afterwards that something got lost in the translation from American to Canadian English???

Steve
    Great news, mike. So you gonna move the suspension from the auto to the manual, or get new stuff for the manual and have 2 runners?

Naw, Steve, you had me ROTFL. Transcript should be up soon for anyone curious about the context of the comment.

Busy chat, we had two newbies joining in, too. One WRX owner and another shopper. Hope they stick around in our threads.

-juice
    Well right now I'm moving over the suspension to the XT6 MT and putting the upgraded clutch in the XT6 MT. I'm gonna order the parts for the lower control arm and stabalizer bar for the XT6 AT and work on putting that in along with a new suspension (maybe coilovers) and upgraded sway bars and strut tower brace and set that one up as my daily driver over the summer as a project.

-mike
    Coilovers and a strut tower brace on your daily driver? Oh, that's right, I've seen how you drive! LOL!

-juice
    Hee hee I can modify it since it won't have to comply to stock class rules :)

-mike
    True, true. Heck, my Forester would have to run in the Street Modified class, I wouldn't have a prayer!

-juice
    You can run it in STS, not SM.

-mike
    With a bigger-than-stock rear sway bar, a strut brace, and wheels wider than stock (7" vs. 6.5" for Forester S). I don't think I would qualify for STS.

-juice
  • locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    yes you do, but I many event organizers would think twice before allowing anything that looks remotely like an SUV to run.

-Colin
    I think SCCA classifies it as a wagon, but I guess each individual event would have to rule on it.

-mike
    I would more likely run in the SCCA Rally Cross, like Lucien did a while back. That way my extra gound clearance wouldn't be such a penalty.

But they run all the way down in Orange County, VA, a couple of hours away, so it would be a whole day thing just for a couple of runs. With a pregnant wife and a toddle to chase around, that ain't happening.

-juice