Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Oil in gas?

ben773ben773 Member Posts: 2
edited September 2020 in Chevrolet
I noticed a fuel leak on my chevy Malibu but it is leaving a black oil like stain rather than evaporating. Does anyone know what might cause this

Answers

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,153
    ben773 said:

I noticed a fuel leak on my chevy Malibu but it is leaving a black oil like stain rather than evaporating. Does anyone know what might cause this

Seems doubtful you could "see" a fuel leak. It's more likely a different fluid.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    ben773ben773 Member Posts: 2
    No its definitely gas. When I start the car it starts to pour out of the return line on the frame rail. No other lines on that part of the car
  • Options
    thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    Gasoline is a combination of fuels. They are all different size molecules with different evaporation rates. It also has additives in it. What you are seeing is normal. The lighter portions of the gasoline evaporate first, (aka. butane) the heaviest last, and the additives might not evaporate on ground for an extended period of time. At the same time being a good solvent some of what you see as residual might have been pulled from whatever the gasoline leaked onto. On page 5 of this word article there is a partial list of what is in gasoline. https://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/toxprofiles/tp72-c3.pdf