Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Crew - Meet The Members II

Comments

• hammersleyhammersley Member Posts: 684
    I tow my 97 OB behind the motorhome often - mine, however is a manual tranny, which doesn't carry the same restrictions as the auto. I keep the key in the ignition, just to keep the front wheels unlocked, but I don't idle the engine. Longest trip was 1800 miles with nary a problem, and the other added bonus is those miles don't accumulate on the odometer.

The capability to tow the MT "wheels down" was one of the big reasons we traded my Explorer for the OB in the first place.

Motorhome Magazine (www.mh.com) often publishes a list of towable cars, with their varying restrictions & limitations.

Cheers!
    Paul
  • armac13armac13 Member Posts: 1,129
    T'aint fair is it Tom.

Ross
  • declansdaddeclansdad Member Posts: 120
    Maybe you should change professions, car sales could be in your future. That is an amazing story...I guess the value & reputation of subaru speaks for itself.

My cousin liked my forester so much, she bought one too.

Maybe you should send your story into subaru's drive magazine; who knows what could happen if the corporate office gets wind of your talent.

Michael
  • jimmyj1945jimmyj1945 Member Posts: 141
    Actually, I have been wondering about this. If, by some unusual happenings, you were stuck in the middle of nowhere (and there is a lot of that in West Texas) and you called a tow truck, would you have to specify you had an AWD? Or, would a tow truck be any good? Would you have to get a flat bed? I know this terrible lonely feeling from a previous vehicle (not subaru) which was bad enough and difficult enough to even get a tow truck. If something more is needed, I may live out my life stranded...
    Thanks for your input,

Jim J.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I specify a flatbed whenever I call for a towtruck. I've called AAA a few times in the past 2 years and each time I required a flatbed when I called or else they send a regular tow truck and you have to wait for a flatbed! :(

-mike
    Thanks Mike. That's what I thought. I don't like the fact you need a flatbed, especially in West Texas. I don't have any idea how easy or difficult it would be to get one (no experience with this, but feel like it would be difficult). Well, I guess I'll give this one some more thought!
    Thanks again Mike,

Jim J.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Any full-time 4WD/AWD should be towed on a flatbed.

Bob
    You can always get a u-haul trailer and use your trooper to pickup the car if it's disabled! :)

-mike
  • ironsides1ironsides1 Member Posts: 30
    Here in the great white north (yes, its snowing again today... we have had more snow in March and April than we had from Nov. to March- weird weather this year. We need the moisture but I'd rather shovel rain at this time of year than snow!), on the few occasions when I've had to have one of our AWD A/T Legacy(s) towed, the tow trucks have always had wheel dollies along that they've placed under the wheels that aren't being lifted by the tow truck crane. Never has caused a problem. Don't your tow trucks carry wheel dollies?

Jon
    First I would have to buy a trooper! You have me mixed up with another Jimmy again. I would change my name in Edmunds, but don't know how, do you?

Jim J.
    Sorry Jimmy! There are 2 Jimmy's in TX on here and I get yous conf00sed!

-mike
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Anyone read the recent issue of Road & Track? They did a review of four wagons that list for about $26K: Impreza WRX, Saturn Wagon, Jetta GLX, Volvo V40. All four were auto trannies.

The Impreza WRX came out on top using a scoring system that took various criteria into account like acceleration, handling, interior, etc. While R&T liked it, they did comment that the cargo space was the smallest of the bunch, the auto tranny detracted from the driving experience and that the tires were the limiting factor to handling.

Interestingly, they liked the Saturn Wagon, saying that it pleasantly suprised them. Apparently, the Saturn wagon uses some parts from it's European brethren that helps it in the handling and acceleration areas.

Ken
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I believe tow trucks do carry dollies. If a FWD car is left in gear with the brakes on, both axles are locked. If it's parked illegally and has to be towed - dollies are needed.

I'll have to check out that R&T. But interesting that even with the tire handicap and all the other issues mentioned, it still won.

-juice
    Some do carry dolly's but I'd say 8-10 do not. When the city tows a car that has been illegally parked they definitely don't use dollys. They usually just drag the rear wheels on a FWD car which kills the e-brake. I've seen em tow AWD cars as well, the front wheels spin and spin, I think they usually "break in" the car and put it in nuetral.

-mike
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    Page 3 in the Spring 2002 'Drive'. ('It Bears his Name') Not in the online version yet.

Looks like the picture I sent got edited out. :(

-Brian
  • ffsteveffsteve Member Posts: 243
    Brian,

Just got my issue tonight. Page 3... Yes, there is your letter! But no picture...

Anyway, Go Bears!

Steve
  • barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    Way to go...your famous! :-)

I saw your letter yesterday when I got my Drive mag in the mail.

Stephen
    No Drive yet, I hope it comes soon. I got my dad's issue last time.

-juice
  • bat1161bat1161 Member Posts: 1,784
    Congrats on getting published. This issue of Drive has some interesting info on GPS, and horsepower and torque.

Mark
  • subaru_teamsubaru_team Member Posts: 1,676
    It's a shame about the photo, but the story is nice!!!

Patti
    I always like reading my issue of Drive, but I sometimes wish there were a little more technical content to it -- that's my favorite part.

Ken
    I find DRIVE to be an excellent publication, visually. I always look forward to reading (and looking at) it.

Bob
    ...and I look forward to...remaining on their mailing list! Still haven't received mine.

-juice
  • bat1161bat1161 Member Posts: 1,784
    Has anyone noticed lately when you get to the message center for Edmunds that the PC "honks" its horn at you? Or, did someone play with my PC at work? It's hard to hide that I'm browsing here, if my PC is honking at me!

Mark
    "Honk honk". :-)

-juice
    Thanks again guys! At least that magazine arrived unscathed - my Car & Driver arrived the same day and was practically mutilated (front cover and several pages in were torn and scotch taped together even!)

I had emailed a picture of our OB with the SUBEARU plate in view with the letter I sent. I didn't send them a high res picture, fearing that it would not make it to their mailbox, so I downsized it a bit and made note of being able to resend a larger one if needed. The text portion explained it well enough, so they probably didn't need the photo.

-Brian
    My old mail man used to glance at my C&D before he delivered it, but it was always in good shape when I got it.

-juice
    To turn off the honking, just scroll down on your Message Center to the Message Center Settings and uncheck the selection labeled:

Beep when the new-message list changes

Ken
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    You can blame me for the Honk Honk. See here and several messages below it:

blane "Our Software! Your Questions Answered..." Apr 2, 2002 3:12pm
    This was taken from the Subaru FAQ site:

<< <B>Where can I rent a Subaru?
    You may rent our Subaru vehicles (Forester, Legacy and Outback wagon and sedans models) at most major airport cities. The rental companies that we use are Hertz, Avis and Budget Rent-A-Car. If interested in renting a Forester, you'll need to check availability, since they are not available at every major city location. >>

Interesting to know...

Bob
    is a good start, but they need to add much more content in terms of Q & A. As it now stands, it just scratches the surface in terms of needed information.

One thing I would like to see added is an in-depth discussion on the various AWD systems Subaru uses: Why so many different systems? What the differences/advantages are, and how they work. This is often a subject that new customers ask about.

Bob
    I'm going to ask for a Subie next time we rent a car. Our last Taurus wasn't too bad, but I didn't care for the Montana we got before that. I wish they'd tell us what regions have them.

Look at all the variations on the AWD theme:

VC
    VC + LSD
    Auto AWD
    Auto AWD + LSD
    VTD + LSD
    VTD + VDC

That's 6 distinct ways to get traction.

-juice
    all those AWD variations is confusing enough for us! Imagine how a person, who is now just considering a Subaru for the first time must feel?

Bob
    VC + Locking Center Diffy
    FWD
    FWD + 4wd + High-low Range

-mike
    I listed current systems, but you're right if we're talking about all of them.

-juice
  • nygregnygreg Member Posts: 1,936
    Read my issue last night. Loved the picture of the Buffalo snow on top of the OBs and of course the calf in the back of the OBW.

Tried to rent an OB in Burlington, VT last year with Hertz, but, they want more $$ for which my Co. would not pay. I guess you get what you pay for. :)

Greg
    I would gladly have paid the difference! :-)

-juice
    Chat tonight! Don't forget. Last week was fantastic - I could hardly keep up.

Gotta improve on my speed-reading, and borrow Pat's writing style: all lower case no grammar no punctuation. :D

I noticed next week our Edmunds hosts invitined a couple of vehicle maintenance gurus from Subaru, that should be pretty cool.

Suggested topics: Papa Bear's 15 minutes of fame, the NY Auto Show, 2003 Legacy, 2003 Forester, 2003 Baja, and my favorite - "Turbot: grilled or fried?"

-juice
    see you at tonights chat. FWIW - we are trying to meet demand and provide more rental vehicles to Avis, Budget and Hertz - that should help drop the price.

When I travel, I kind of like to drive another manufacturers vehicle to compare. One time, in Boston (my first time driving from Logan airport), the Hertz person assumed I would want an Outback. Who was I to argue. Turned out to be the best thing. Waiting to enter a highway, I had the choice of getting whacked in the rear by someone looking the other way, or getting spanked in the front by an 18 wheeler. I took the whack. The Outback was fine but the other car that hit me lost his headlights, grill, etc. That was the only accident I've ever had. I guess it was meant to be that I was safe?

Patti
  • lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    Makes sense, Patti. Scanning the Philadelphia Inquirer classifieds a few weeks ago I saw SoA was advertising for a fleet sales manager. I thought about what kind of fleets SoA would sell to (US Forest Service? Postal Service? Ski resorts?) and didn't even stop to think of rental fleets.

Ed (who has rented OBs in Boston and twice in Myrtle Beach, SC)
    for a rental when we went to Denver a couple of years ago. Or at least it was reserved that way. When we arrived at the airport, they were 'out' of them, so I got something else instead (a v6 Explorer).

Denver was probably the wrong area to rent one since Outbacks seem very popular out there (saw lots driving around).

-Brian
  • fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    My first serious exposure to Subaru was at SeaTac airport. Beth and I put 1500 miles on a Legacy AWD wagon in two weeks. It made a very positive impression.

I also fell in love with a Ford Mondeo 5dr at Heathrow (London), but I am afraid I will never own that one (the Contour never came close...).

Steve
    Avis has tons and tons of Troopers in their fleet and i'd say a good 75% of Trooper buyers were people who rented em for a week and loved em.

-mike
  • jfljfl Member Posts: 1,396
    I think most new car buyers don't realize that there are different flavors of AWD. As far as most of them are concerned, AWD = 4WD. And does it really matter? If you want an AT you take that AWD system...

Of course, every TLA means more safety (at least that's the sales pitch) so you select as many as you are willing to pay for.
  • hammersleyhammersley Member Posts: 684
    Apologies for missing the chat tonight... alas, the transportation committee chairperson for the school auction (moi) gets little rest between tonight & auction night (Saturday). But I know you guys understand helping out a good cause.

Have a good weekend, everyone!

Cheers!
    Paul
  • grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786
    G'day

The following article looks interesting. I am not sure that any Greek design has ever done much for me sinec Ancient Athens but Subaru obviosly thinks it is worth pursuing

http://drive.fairfax.com.au/content-new/news/general/2002/04/12/FFXLAWPXWZC.html

Cheers

Graham

Okay - the NJ lottery is up to approx. $220 million.

The disclaimer:

This game is not sanctioned, offered, condoned, etc. by Subaru of America, Inc. It is being done solely by me for my friends here at Edmunds. I will not be liable for any flukey things that a lawyer may find nor will Subaru, because they are not participating in this. If for some reason the ticket cannot be cashed - I will not be able to take responsibility.

Now - how we can play. I purchased a ticket for my friends here at Edmunds. In order to be my partner in this, you have to have had at least one Subaru post that can be confirmed on these boards prior to this post. The first 22 people who post "I'm in" and one statement about their favorite thing about Subaru will be entitled to share in the winnings if we hit the big money. You must post prior to 6PM Eastern Daylight Time today. We will go solely on Edmunds time and date stamp information. Your profile must have your real name and the car you currently (as of today) are driving for verification. Any winnings between $1 and $220 will be donated to the American Cancer Society (my pick because I like them). $220 and over will be split amongst the 22 people playing with me. There are two numbers on my quick pick. "A" is for Edmunds - "B" is for my husband. If, for some reason, someone comes to me today and tells me that I'm not allowed to do this, I'll let you know that the game is off.

Okay - now - our numbers:

A - 03-27-33-46-48 Big $$ 05

I hope you have fun with this! Sorry about all the disclaimers, but this is just an idea I had.

Patti Mickel
    Count me in!

88 Grey XT6
    91 Red XT6
    00 Trooper LS

Love my subarus :)

So when do we open up the dealership? Lets get this going right away cause I want to build my own S8 sized subaru with flat H12 engine :)

-mike
  • bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    '97 OBS
    '99 OB Ltd.

And if I win, I will hire FHI to build a 25B. :-)

OT- I saw bling bling on an S8 last night. :-(
    It was lowered quite a bit, and had aftermarket spoked wheels that stuck out probably 3-4 inches from the tire. It had NY tags.

edit: Only one thing?? That's too hard. Lemme see.
    It's the most versatile vehicle in N. America under $30K. (How's that?)

-Dennis
    one "favorite thing about Subaru"!