Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    stickguy said:

Congrats Tom. Glad things worked out for you.

Way to go! I always like it when the good guy comes away with a W!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,057
    @tjc78 - let me add my congratulations on the new (new) job. Looks like a much better fit for you, and the pay bump certainly doesn't hurt.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333
    Congrats @tjc78! Sounds like you made the right choice for you and your family.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,849
    Thanks everyone. I’m happy with my decision and know this is the right path for me.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,254
    My prayers for you have been answered Tom. Good luck and God's speed (in a car of course!). 🤪😜🤓

2021 Genesis G90

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    tjc78 said:

Thanks everyone. I’m happy with my decision and know this is the right path for me.

Very cool. Big congrats!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    nyccarguy said:

stickguy said:

Congrats Tom. Glad things worked out for you.

Way to go! I always like it when the good guy comes away with a W!
    Ditto!

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    Am I the only NJ person here who was rudely awoken at 2am, jumped out of bed, ran downstairs to check if something blew up in the basement, then ran outside to check the horizon for mushroom clouds?

Yeah, I know, CA folks laugh at a 3.1 quake, but when it NEVER happens in NJ, it is extremely confusing. The end is nigh, my friends!

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

A 3.1 earthquake woke you up? That's like a truck driving down the street, right?
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,460
    tjc78 said:

Congrats on the new gig. Your poster buddies and I are happy for you.

I guess all that should be done now is for your poster buddies, and even me, to get an invite to the beach house before the weather turns. @Mike will bring some of the free booze he’s been bragging about, @graphicguy will bring some homemade sauce and I’ll bring a few rib eyes. And you know it won’t take long for @roadburner to get there. Edmunds knows how to contact us.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)

A 3.1 earthquake woke you up? That's like a truck driving down the street, right?

If you're not used to it, a 3.1 can be pretty shocking.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

I suppose so. It drives my wife nuts - I slept through a 4.2 not too long ago. She woke me up, I checked USGS, and then fell asleep again...
    edited September 2020
    Michaell said:

Exactly. When something that never happens happens, your brain reacts sharply. I'd say it felt more like a truck crashing on my lawn rather than driving down the street. It was only 5km deep and the epicenter was just 7 miles or so from me. There was an initial boom that woke us, and the windows and bed shook for maybe 3-4 secs after. So, while earthquake crossed my mind, I thought there must have been an explosion given that initial boom.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,250
    The small earthquakes I have experienced were like a train gong by, a low frequency runble/vibration.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Ah I see it now - that's a pretty shallow quake; not surprised that woke you up.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,432
    If a quake hit down here, I slept through it!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

qbrozen said:

Michaell said:

Exactly. When something that never happens happens, your brain reacts sharply. I'd say it felt more like a truck crashing on my lawn rather than driving down the street. It was only 5km deep and the epicenter was just 7 miles or so from me. There was an initial boom that woke us, and the windows and bed shook for maybe 3-4 secs after. So, while earthquake crossed my mind, I thought there must have been an explosion given that initial boom.
    It's all about what you're used to. Growing up in SoCal, I experienced my fair share of earthquakes - Sylmar '71, the Loma Prieta quake in '89 (I was 300 miles away, and it was still strong there), a few others. By the time you realize what's happening, it usually over.

But, years ago, I was on a business trip to Milwaukee and one night there was a tornado warning pretty close to the hotel. I was terrified.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Michaell said:

the Loma Prieta quake in '89 (I was 300 miles away, and it was still strong there)

I was actually vacationing in Big Bear when that one hit. My first ever experience with an earthquake. I saw the picture on the wall start to move first, then looked at the table and saw my water vibrating like Jurassic Park (of course, this was before the movie. lol).

stickguy said:

If a quake hit down here, I slept through it!

Me too! I remember we had one a few years back. I was in the beach. It felt like someone was shaking my chair.

Michaell said:

During one of my many trips to one of our suppliers in the LA area in the late ‘80, a 5.1 quake hit the area. A group of us were having lunch on the patio at this supplier when a guy runs up to us, almost out of breath, to ask if we were alright. When we asked why he said, “didn’t you feel the quake we just had”? None of us felt a thing. He goes on to tell us everyone in the building felt it and everyone was OK but a couple pieces of machinery on the production floor broke loose from the heavy duty bolts that held them to the floor and moved about 6 inches but other than that there was no damage. We all went in to see the machinery and sure enough, they had skated a few inches from their mounting bolts. Up until then I always thought you’d feel a pretty good shake with a 5.1 quake. Turns out I was wrong and was told by the guys, that have lived in southern Cal all their lives, that some quakes can be very localized even on the same block.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    Everyone I really appreciate all your support!

We have a lot of irons in the fire.

New job (again) for me.

Kids first day of school was today and remote learning 3 days a week

We are a couple weeks away from putting our home on the market and we are looking at the first three to replace it today.

Lease is up on the Enclave in three months. That’s in the shop getting the door fixed as we speak. Unfortunately, car shopping is taking a back seat to house shopping. If we aren’t in a new home by the time it goes back I’ll probably extend it. The B2B warranty is 4/48 so it’s covered a little while longer.

qbrozen said:

Michaell said:

the Loma Prieta quake in '89 (I was 300 miles away, and it was still strong there)

I was actually vacationing in Big Bear when that one hit. My first ever experience with an earthquake. I saw the picture on the wall start to move first, then looked at the table and saw my water vibrating like Jurassic Park (of course, this was before the movie. lol).
    I was on the 11th floor of the only high rise in my town - the entire building swayed back and forth (as it was designed to do). When I got in my car to drive home and learned that the quake was up in the Bay Area, I knew then and there that it was a bad one.

I remember my dad taking us to see the VA hospital in LA after the '71 quake.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

tjc78 said:

New job (again) for me.

We are a couple weeks away from putting our home on the market and we are looking at the first three to replace it today.

Lease is up on the Enclave in three months. That’s in the shop getting the door fixed as we speak. Unfortunately, car shopping is taking a back seat to house shopping. If we aren’t in a new home by the time it goes back I’ll probably extend it. The B2B warranty is 4/48 so it’s covered a little while longer.

So, I guess that’s your excuse for not inviting us to the beach house, huh? :@

jmonroe
    tjc78 said:

New job (again) for me.

Busy. I love house looking, even when I’m not really shopping. Can’t wait to find out where you end up!

jmonroe1 said:

tjc78 said:

New job (again) for me.

So, I guess that’s your excuse for not inviting us to the beach house, huh? :@

jmonroe
    LOL, yes I think that's it!

edited September 2020
    stickguy said:

tjc78 said:

New job (again) for me.

Busy. I love house looking, even when I’m not really shopping. Can’t wait to find out where you end up!
    I'm thinking it's going to be Williamstown/Sewell or Mullica Hill. We keep looking in your area, but not quite finding what we want at the price point we want to be. We are looking to keep it around $425 or so.

Most of the stuff in your neighborhood that is what we want is pushing low 500's with 18-20K taxes.

Mullica hill area is really nice.

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Good luck house hunting! My daughter and son-in-law just bought a house in Connecticut. The market there is crazy. Every desirable house sells within 24 Hours with multiple bids, all over the asking price. Accepted bids depend on how fast you can close. It’s similar out here on the West Coast too. Low inventory and lots of buyers looking for those low interest rates. May the Force be with you.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,024
    suydam said:

Good luck house hunting! My daughter and son-in-law just bought a house in Connecticut. The market there is crazy. Every desirable house sells within 24 Hours with multiple bids, all over the asking price. Accepted bids depend on how fast you can close. It’s similar out here on the West Coast too. Low inventory and lots of buyers looking for those low interest rates. May the Force be with you.

Same thing is happening here, even on my street. Earlier this summer a nice but fairly typical 3 bed/1 bath/no garage/5000 sq ft lot/2-storey 1950s house up the street from me got into a bidding war before selling for well over asking at $386K. Not to be outdone, a similar house 4 doors up from that one but with a small attached garage just changed hands and the new owners are doing a full gut reno. I am guessing even the interior is being reconfigured as the chimney has been removed, along with the electrical and water service locations, the attached garage is gone, and this week a new roof is being installed. Still to come is some sort of new exterior siding. Where the garage used to be was excavated for a full foundation and then a 2-story addition with new garage built there. Presumably the upper level of the new construction is a master suite. I hate to think how much they will have in it by the time it's over. I have to think they paid at least $300K for the old untouched house. They must be playing the long game on this one.

Here's what it looked like before all the work:

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964
    tjc78 said:

New job (again) for me.

Wow...makes me dizzy just hearing about all this going on at once.
    The job was a big piece of the puzzle...rest should fall into place....more or less, .....hopefully :)

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    qbrozen said:

Am I the only NJ person here who was rudely awoken at 2am, jumped out of bed, ran downstairs to check if something blew up in the basement, then ran outside to check the horizon for mushroom clouds?

Yeah, I know, CA folks laugh at a 3.1 quake, but when it NEVER happens in NJ, it is extremely confusing. The end is nigh, my friends!

Many years ago when my kids were little I was woken by the bedroom door rattling like one of them was tugging at the door knob. I went out and found them still asleep in their beds. Later I saw on TV that there was a 4.5 up in the mountains. Weird feeling.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

When I was a college senior, not far from old farmers farm, got woken by one (maybe the same one?). Had a loft bed and woke to it banging into the wall. Then went back to sleep without realizing what happened!

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    driver100 said:

Well this is just great; one of my staff just tested positive for. COVID-19. She had contact with everyone in the office as well as the Grand Jury.

That is a total bummer! I assume she has been wearing a mask. It may be contained if she wasn't really close to anyone else....and everyone was distancing and wearing masks. Guess everyone should get tested......big mess with a jury involved too.
    Well, my 91 year old MIL tested positive in her Assisted Living Home two weeks in a row and the third week she was negative. Negative ever since. go figure.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    edited September 2020

Well, my 91 year old MIL tested positive in her Assisted Living Home two weeks in a row and the third week she was negative. Negative ever since. go figure.

Glad to hear it hasn't affected her health. There seem to have been a high percentage of false positives with certain tests. Unless she tests positive for the blood antibodies, I'd assume she had nothing.

I didn't have a second antibody test but I suspect I had the typically mild case a few weeks after I had the first self-prescribed antibody test. No big deal for me.

The country's total death counts continue to go lower.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Wife couldn't start her MKC yesterday. It hadn't been run in about 2 weeks. After 23 hours on the charger, the green light started blinking, so at least 80% charged now.
    It's 4 1/2 years old so I'll probably just get a new battery in a day or 2.
    edited September 2020
    tjc78 said:

stickguy said:

tjc78 said:

New job (again) for me.

I'm thinking it's going to be Williamstown/Sewell or Mullica Hill. We keep looking in your area, but not quite finding what we want at the price point we want to be. We are looking to keep it around $425 or so.

Most of the stuff in your neighborhood that is what we want is pushing low 500's with 18-20K taxes.
    Ridings at Woolwich looked nice. I like their floor plans.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,092
    You mean the increase in death count/rate of death count is slowing, right?

Winning, so much winning B)

The country's total death counts continue to go lower.

My 93 year old grandma is going into a physical rehab place after a knee replacement, and I am not too worried about it at all, as I know she's too stubborn to be taken down by this (and she's at least more mentally fit than many I have seen 30 years her junior).

A friend of mine lost a bidding war on this place. 1955 build, maybe renovated in the 70s (needs a kitchen bad, but 3 car garage cancels that out) so it needs heavy freshening, 1500 sq ft, adjacent to busy arterial street, next door to a hoarder house maybe the cheapest neighborhood in town - it went for 800K

ab348 said:

Presumably the upper level of the new construction is a master suite. I hate to think how much they will have in it by the time it's over. I have to think they paid at least $300K for the old untouched house. They must be playing the long game on this one.

Yowzers. I should have moved to Seattle right out of college when it was cheap!

I bet you could have picked that place up for 100K or so easy 30 years ago.
  • pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,537
    edited September 2020
    The Seattle house is a $250,000-$300,000 house around here, depending on location and lot.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    pensfan83 said:

The Seattle house is a $250,000-$300,000 house around here, depending on location and lot.

Same here..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

edited September 2020
    fintail said:

A friend of mine lost a bidding war on this place. 1955 build, maybe renovated in the 70s (needs a kitchen bad, but 3 car garage cancels that out) so it needs heavy freshening, 1500 sq ft, adjacent to busy arterial street, next door to a hoarder house maybe the cheapest neighborhood in town - it went for 800K

ab348 said:

Presumably the upper level of the new construction is a master suite. I hate to think how much they will have in it by the time it's over. I have to think they paid at least $300K for the old untouched house. They must be playing the long game on this one.

Where is the 3rd garage bay?

No such thing as 1500 sq ft in my town. 2500 sq ft and in need of renovation would be $500k.

qbrozen said:

fintail said:

ab348 said:

Probably tandem. Technically, that's how mine is configured, and a neighbor across the street with a similar set up has a Soul, a Sportage and a Sorento stuffed in his.

(but, pretty much nothing else)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Michaell said:

qbrozen said:

fintail said:

ab348 said:

Probably tandem. Technically, that's how mine is configured, and a neighbor across the street with a similar set up has a Soul, a Sportage and a Sorento stuffed in his.

Does that mean the right bay is 2 cars deep?

I would find that incredibly frustrating.

edited September 2020
    My next door neighbor has the 3 car garage with one of them 2 deep.
    He had a 67 Corvette convertible with a 427 and side pipes in there.
    Kind of felt like an earthquake when it started an idled. ;)
    qbrozen said:

Michaell said:

qbrozen said:

fintail said:

ab348 said:

Does that mean the right bay is 2 cars deep?

I would find that incredibly frustrating.
    My guess is yes.

If the third car is one that doesn't get driven much, I can see the benefit is reducing the footprint of the garage area, compared to a traditional 3-across setup.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• sb55sb55 Member Posts: 616
    I’m glad that I built a 3 car garage. Even though it’s detached, I can fit all 3 vehicles and plenty of junk in the attic.

2021 Toyota Venza Limited Hybrid, 2022 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi, 2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    We had a 5.2 magnitude earthquake before dawn back in April 2008. I was sound asleep and my wife woke me up. I told her, "It's an earthquake, go back to sleep."
    And I did.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive