Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,097
    Congrats! Luck is on your side these days - I think one of the big lotteries is over 100MM right now, go buy a ticket!

Interesting how architecture is so regional, I look at that house and know it has to be from the upper midwest to the east coast.
    tjc78 said:

We have been looking for months, but only recently got serious. We knew exactly what we wanted. This stretched the budget a bit, but since it's so new we figured it was worth it. It's looking like a 2.75% rate so the extra money we are spending isn't much at all monthly.

• ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,190
    kyfdx said:

stickguy said:

at $5k a pop, you can run me over once a week.

Literally, an inch or two either way, and he could have had head injuries. So, maybe not. ;)
    I don't recommend it either. I had a crash in 2015 that could have ended really badly. An inch or two could have translated into spinal injury. Even 1/8 of an inch could have cost me an eye. As it was I was held overnight to make sure they weren't seeing a brain bleed on the CT scan, not that I remember much from the amount of Ativan they had to give me in order to stitch the cut just a couple mm from the corner of my eye. I'm lucky the only lasting effect is the numbness in my chin/inside of my bottom lip.
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2013 VW Jetta 2.5SE
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    I’ve rented a lot of uhauls lately thanks to the princess. They always give you a list of local places for loading or unloading, with prices. Not too bad if you are fine doing all the packing and just need muscle to get it out on the truck.

Moving so close makes it easier. The problem is if you have to pack and vacate, close on old place, close on new place, then unpack (in that order).

I’ve not priced them but considered getting a Pod next time. Can load at leisure then just let it sit there (or send to the pod farm). Maybe a small truck for the last stuff.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,854
    fintail said:

Congrats! Luck is on your side these days - I think one of the big lotteries is over 100MM right now, go buy a ticket!

Interesting how architecture is so regional, I look at that house and know it has to be from the upper midwest to the east coast.

tjc78 said:

We have been looking for months, but only recently got serious. We knew exactly what we wanted. This stretched the budget a bit, but since it's so new we figured it was worth it. It's looking like a 2.75% rate so the extra money we are spending isn't much at all monthly.

Yes, it's been a good two months! Thank you

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

I think we are getting a mover. I won't have any time off so going to have to pay! We will pack most of it, but letting "the guy(s)" do the heavy lifting. I have to start working on quotes!

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    omarman said:

Beautiful home. That walk in pantry deserves it's own reveal party. :smile: Congrats!

hmmm... unless I missed it, I think you may be referring to the mud room. Keys and entry door there, yes?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

tjc78 said:

stickguy said:

that was quick. I am surprised they would want to avoid the bidding war. that would be my favorite part as a seller!

Congrats. sounds perfect. What town?

Wenonah, Yes we were too, but they needed out ASAP (relocating) and have three small kids. I don't think they wanted to go through the process with tons of showings and all the back and forth. Having an inside track with two Realtors who feed off each other really helped.

Nice. Congrats. My niece and nephew just graduated from Rowan College last year. Do you know the builder of the house/neighborhood?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

tjc78 said:

I think we are getting a mover. I won't have any time off so going to have to pay! We will pack most of it, but letting "the guy(s)" do the heavy lifting. I have to start working on quotes!

We did that last time. Local outfit. Had everything boxed. They showed up, and house was practically empty in about an hour. Though our houses overlapped So I had already taken a lot of loose and fragile stuff myself.

That’s real close to Rowan. That was a Ryan homes neighborhood

edited September 2020
    Yes Ryan Homes.

It's about 15-20 minutes from Rowan.

Here is the pantry. In that little nook there is the garage entrance, large closet, and a little area for book bags. The pantry is directly across from the garage entrance.

stickguy said:

tjc78 said:

We did that last time. Local outfit. Had everything boxed. They showed up, and house was practically empty in about an hour. Though our houses overlapped So I had already taken a lot of loose and fragile stuff myself.
    That's the way I envision it. My electronics worry me the most, but I'm sure they can handle it. Many of my components I have the original boxes for so that's easy.

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    @tjc: Hire a professional mover. Let them pack everything up. Life is too short.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964
    abacomike said:

tjc78 said:

Thanks everyone! It's such a wild year! I have to say it's a good time to make moves like this. You'll pay more for your new place, but you'll also get a lot more for your current home and with money so cheap you can cash out a bit to invest.

We are moving so fast on everything my head is spinning!

The pics are great. Beautiful home!
    +1
    ....and it was worth going over budget to get all the extras, plus it is a pretty new home so a lot of things won't need to be done for awhile....like a roof, new furnace etc.
    We paid over budget a few times.....have never ever been sorry, it always was worth it in the long run.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    @tjc78,
    Classic 5, 4 and a door colonial. I like the front porch and the full view storm door.
    Probably won't be able to do it this year, but I like taking out the screen./glass.
    The kids don't expect you to be able to reach though the door to hand them their treats.
    Their reactions can be pretty funny.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,206
    I think @pensfan83 has a Ryan home.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,538
    Good memory, we do.

Very nice @tjc78, here's to many happy years in your new home
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    tjc78 said:

Yes Ryan Homes.

Here is the pantry. In that little nook there is the garage entrance, large closet, and a little area for book bags. The pantry is directly across from the garage entrance.

cool. my wife would still have that damned thing overflowing! lol. I'd show a pic of ours, but it is a disaster.

Same here. We have a large walk in pantry, I added as many shelves as would fit, and they are still all stuffed with more on the floor. And there are only 2 of us.

Don’t get me started on the 100Sf MBR closet.

Our walk in pantry/storage is in the basement right off the garage where a bathroom would normally be. If we ever do a full kitchen renovation we could flip the laundry room to the basement where the current storage is and create a walk in pantry upstairs.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    Do not ever do that. Whoever has to hump the baskets around the house will regret it.

Best money we ever spent was moving laundry from the basement to the 2nd floor where it was always supposed to be.

Agree.....laundry should NOT be in the basement if at all possible...or if you are in your 20s.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    tjc78 said:

Yes Ryan Homes.

My wife would give her eye teeth for that pantry. Ours is a poor excuse for one.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    Sometimes Skype guilty pleas can be entertaining...

Wednesday we had one and the Judge asked the defendant the standard question, "Are you suffering from any mental disease or defect which would affect your ability to knowingly enter a guilty plea?" The defendant-who was wearing a black tank top emblazoned with the word "ZOMBIE" on the front-replied. "Well, uh, my head's been crushed and I've died twice, but no, I'm okay." The answers went downhill from there. The funniest part was watching his public defender, who was getting more exasperated by the moment. I sent her a GIF of a guy banging his head and yelling, "MY BRAIN HURTS!" She replied, "I am SO irritated- if he f**** this plea up I'm quitting my job." I then asked if he was a real zombie and I saw her put her head in her hands. I had to turn off my camera and microphone because I was laughing so hard.

The next day as we were taking another plea my assistant texted "This guy sounds like a genius compared to yesterday's guy." I replied, "My dog sounds like a genius compared to yesterday's guy."

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

stickguy said:

Do not ever do that. Whoever has to hump the baskets around the house will regret it.

Best money we ever spent was moving laundry from the basement to the 2nd floor where it was always supposed to be.

There's a better chance we convert that space to a bathroom since the rough ins are already there. With the boys getting older, having friends over more often, etc. we want that to be a space where they'll have little need to come upstairs for anything haha. There's already a kitchenette so a bathroom would round it out nicely. An under utilized, albeit smaller closet that will store probably 75% of what the current space does, just won't be walk in.
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    tjc congrats on the new home. Hope there is plenty of happiness in it.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

OK, I walk into the kitchen this afternoon and looked out the patio door window and saw a furry little dirtbag chewing up one of the patio chairs cushion.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    You can borrow my dog, he’s killed countless groundhogs, raccoons, snakes and squirrels. He even chased off a coyote.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,466

OK, I walk into the kitchen this afternoon and looked out the patio door window and saw a furry little dirtbag chewing up one of the patio chairs cushion.

I thought you knew not to hide acorns in patio cushions this time of the year. :'(

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,255
    Looks like we are going to dodge another bullet this weekend. There's a tropical depression just east of South Florida moving west that is expected to become a tropical storm as it enters the Gulf of Mexico.

We are forecasted to receive 4-6 inches of rain between late tonight through early Monday morning. Flooding is expected.

Also, there is a disturbance off the African coast expected to become a strong hurricane and is moving toward us. I just hope our luck continues.

2021 Genesis G90

qbrozen said:

tjc78 said:

Yes Ryan Homes.

cool. my wife would still have that damned thing overflowing! lol. I'd show a pic of ours, but it is a disaster.
    Oh I can only imagine how full it will be.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,031
    I notice giving the latest on weather systems moving out of Africa has become a thing now for TV weather presenters. It is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen. Jeebus. They will do anything to try to scare people these days.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,466
    ab348 said:

I notice giving the latest on weather systems moving out of Africa has become a thing now for TV weather presenters. It is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen. Jeebus. They will do anything to try to scare people these days.

Yeah, and it started when they told us to wear masks. To be safe I assume everybody is a bad guy. I’m not waiting for when they pull out a gun. Remember that cartoon where the bank robber said, “...the gun was my idea”. :'(

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    ab348 said:

Oh come on now, if that was true they would be showing that picture of Driver with his striped shirt.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,562
    abacomike said:

Looks like we are going to dodge another bullet this weekend. There's a tropical depression just east of South Florida moving west that is expected to become a tropical storm as it enters the Gulf of Mexico.

We are forecasted to receive 4-6 inches of rain between late tonight through early Monday morning. Flooding is expected.

Also, there is a disturbance off the African coast expected to become a strong hurricane and is moving toward us. I just hope our luck continues.

You have to stop watching the Weather Channel. They’ll have you pacing the floor.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,031

ab348 said:

Oh come on now, if that was true they would be showing that picture of Driver with his striped shirt.
    Good point.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

ab348 said:

Come on....I think the time limit is up for referring to my horizontal striped shirt.

Sounds like it is worth checking out...$6000, 17500 miles. Why wouldn't you find one wheel disc or buy 4 after market ones?

and why would you leave your phone number like this;
    Phone: 413 two 9 7 5 two 6 two.
    If no answer, leave message or text.
    I'd check it out but I would definitely want to have it carefully checked by a good mechanic AND I wouldn't get my hopes up too much before actually seeing it.

ab348 said:

I saw them talking about those hurricanes growing on the coast of Africa. They try to make it sound like it will go west and is headed for North America, but, if you decipher what they say.....it is more likely not to actually reach land....in most cases.

driver100 said:

Sounds like it is worth checking out...$6000, 17500 miles. Why wouldn't you find one wheel disc or buy 4 after market ones?

I'd check it out but I would definitely want to have it carefully checked by a good mechanic AND I wouldn't get my hopes up too much before actually seeing it.

the phone number is so Bots don't scrape it and start bombarding you with scam calls.

edited September 2020
    driver100 said:

CL posters frequently post their phone numbers like that so that auto dialer robocall calls don’t record them. Unusual these days since the CL system hides your number (if you enter it right) behind a reply button.

My concern would be the cost of sorting out the paint.

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,499

They’ll have you pacing the floor.

Some people are inclined to pace the floor (or clutch their pearls) in any event, with or without external stimulation.

They're a joy to be around.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    Talk about ridden hard and put away wet. That has to be the hardest 17k I’ve seen. The silver wasn’t prone to peeling, so that makes me wonder as well. If it was white, then maybe.

Low line GS with bad paint. Pass.

You can find pristine 50k mile LS models all day long.

driver100 said:

CL posters frequently post their phone numbers like that so that auto dialer robocall calls don’t record them. Unusual these days since the CL system hides your number (if you enter it right) behind a reply button.

Makes you wonder too, how do you get scrapes and dents at 17k miles. Even the license plate is bent. If it really has 17k miles (probably an odometer from another car) then it wasn't looked after lovingly.
    Thx...you and stick explaining the phone number....I am going to start giving my phone number that way.

have you seen some of the owners of these things? dents and dings not unexpected!

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

Makes you wonder too, how do you get scrapes and dents at 17k miles. Even the license plate is bent. If it really has 17k miles (probably an odometer from another car) then it wasn't looked after lovingly.
    Thx...you and stick explaining the phone number....I am going to start giving my phone number that way.
    Another explanation is that the car was not garaged kept and the owners resided in a heavily dense populated urban area where parking and streets were rather tight. Add that to being in a northern area where it might spend time buried in a snow drift or be covered with city dirt for long periods of time and that could explain the exterior condition.

Another thing to consider that the ad is actually a scam, a low priced, low mileage car that someone just might want to snatch before someone else buys it. Send the seller a payment and the seller, ad, and money disappear.

About phone numbers, I know that scammers will just randomly call numbers. I just recently received a cell phone for work (since most of my time is work from home) that had a new number in a new area code. Less than two weeks later I received a call on it telling me that my cars warranty was about to expire.

Best thing to do with phone numbers is your doing something like selling online or giving out your number to someone you will only need it for a short time is to get something like Google voice and get a number through that and use that, when the number is no longer needed dump the number.

That Vic looks like it was driven by an older person who couldn't see well and it had gotten to big for them to drive. Blanford MA is not a highly populated area, if that's where the car resided.
    While Blanford may not be highly populated the car is nearly 13 years old, where has it been over the last 12 years? I am only offering up another possible explanation of why a 17K mile car has such body damage.

Anyway my gut feeling would be to be very cautious about buying this car.

Unfortunately, that Vic reminds me of my Mom's Malibu. There wasn't any part of the car that didn't have a scrape of dent. Got her to downsize and things were much better after that.
    I wouldn't touch that car either. Maybe for half that asking.
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,334
    edited September 2020
    Ok hive mind. Do any of you have experience with home surveillance? Either a hardwired system or something like Ring spotlight cameras? Thoughts or recommendations appreciated.

We had an attempted break-in this morning and I’m realizing we have some gaps...
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible