Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,513
    having the large incentives you qualify for certainly helps!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    It goes to prove consistent preventive maintenance pays off.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    stickguy said:

having the large incentives you qualify for certainly helps!

The $5K from NJ puts it over the top..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Michaell said:

Hey folks. I know we talked about this several months ago, but the wife and I are in the market for a new mattress. She thinks she wants to get a Tempur-pedic, but I can't remember what the feedback was from the Peanut gallery here.

Purple....swear by it. Had both Temperpedic and Sleep Number. Purple...hands down. 5 years old an no sag, and feels like the day I bought it.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    Mrs kyfdx's next car. :D

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,012
    Is there a bracket for a front plate?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Michaell said:

Is there a bracket for a front plate?

I hope not!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    There is a bracket for the front plate. It’s sitting on a shelf in my garage next to the front license plate bracket for the Supra.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• sb55sb55 Member Posts: 616
    breld said:

So how my wife and I spent our Saturday will surprise exactly...no one.

What vehicle left?

2021 Toyota Venza Limited Hybrid, 2022 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi, 2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT

sb55 said:

breld said:

What vehicle left?
    We went with the consolidation plan and traded both the GLC and V90. Thus opening up a garage spot for the MINI.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,012
    breld said:

sb55 said:

breld said:

What vehicle left?
    We went with the consolidation plan and traded both the GLC and V90. Thus opening up a garage spot for the MINI.
    Time to update the signature line!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

I was wondering why the Mini was in the garage.

good plan. won't last, but good plan.

what year is the Porsche? Miles?

is the Mini a stick? If so, maybe dibs? Though I should look for details on the Mrs. KY X3, since it will be on the market soon....

Few details on the transaction for those curious...
    • The Cayenne is equipped nicely for my tastes - Premium Package, handsome wheel upgrade without going too aggressive, Adaptive Cruise, Sport Chrono (really nice “bonus”), gloss black window trim.
    • 2019 base model with just under 15k miles. BtoB Warranty good through May 2023 and there’s a prepaid maintenance plan that will cover the next service (10k was already done).
    • Based on my research it seemed to be priced really well - certainly one of the cheapest 2019’s out there.
    • Initial trade offers on the GLC and V90 were solid, especially considering the ding on the GLC’s Carfax. But I countered asking for another $3k, basically asking for KBB “Very Good Condition” trade, and they accepted.

We had started out day at Carmax, as I wanted to get a straight buy bid on the GLC. They surprised me with an offer matching the Porsche’s dealership’s trade offer (though they ended up coming up a couple grand later). So, the option to simply sell the GLC to downsize was viable.

While we were there, I drove these two vehicles - each obviously very different but would serve our purpose in different ways.

sounds like a good deal all around. 1 more service, definitely won't need more than that (if you even make it there),

so, what is the wife adding to make up for the space in the driveway?

edited September 2020
    I was hesitant to even take the time to drive the Explorer, thinking that it would take a lot to get me legitimately interested. But I can completely understand what attracted @akangl to it - the test drive was surprisingly impressive. It’s character reminded me a lot of the Durango R/T I owned, but with a much more updated look and interior. If I still felt the need for a larger mid-size SUV with a third row, I’d strongly consider the Explorer.

And if it were priced how I’d expect on 1 year old Ford, I may have been more tempted. But as it was, Carmax had it priced at a few thousand less than new.

The X3 M40i was also impressive, though that wasn’t necessarily surprising. Also not surprising - sort of felt like my Supra on stilts.

After driving these both contrasting examples, I realized I’d like the larger mid-size SUV but with the driving characteristics of the X3. So...Cayenne.

edited September 2020
    Porsche Colorado Springs specializes in collectibles too. I won’t claim to know much about these models, but it was fun to browse. Shocking how much the price tag was on some of these classic models that were in need of some major attention/restoration.

stickguy said:

sounds like a good deal all around. 1 more service, definitely won't need more than that (if you even make it there),

so, what is the wife adding to make up for the space in the driveway?

No plan to add anything. You all seem to forget that we’ve been down to 3 cars for quite a while. My wife has never been comfortable having 2 cars for herself. The MINI was added knowing we’d be consolidating sooner or later - just thought it’d be more like next year.

And the MINI is an automatic - so you may not care to have any dibs! :)

nice color on the Cayenne. Is it mostly gray, or more blueish?

I actually like the Orange Cayenne in the background of one of the classic car shots. That is a neat color.

I do like your fleet now. If I do go down to 1 car now, ideally it would be something fun to add eventually. I doubt we will go back to 3 anytime soon, at least if neither of us starts commuting. Which is not happening. More likely, we move up north, and I get a fun car + a beater or (hopefully) a small PU to go with it for the winter.

Thanks @stickguy. I’d say the color is more blueish, but depending on the lighting it can get real muted.

With our move a year ago, kids getting older (and driving), my stepson being with his host home, and us working from home more, our driving needs have changed dramatically, allowing us to share the larger utility vehicle. That opens up options for the individual fun cars.

My wife did manage before with a MINI (and an older one at that) as her primary car, but it’s much easier to do so now. We’ll throw some snow tires on her hardtop and she should be good to go.

I worked from home anyway, but now that my wife does too, at least into next year, we really don't even need 2. If she goes back, it will probably be only 2 days/week for a while but entirely possible she stays FT WFH. But, if we do end up a 1 car family tomorrow, that will be a definite trigger for adding a 2nd car. Easy to share one during the week since she never goes out during the day now so I always have a car available. I don't think I would last long having a couple of days where there was not one available at all!

Opens up so many options for that second car!

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,385
    My wife acknowledged this morning that she was really going to miss the i3 when the lease is up. I nearly fell off my chair - that’s the closest thing to a compliment I’ve received from her on one of my cars.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    breld said:

And a few more pics of the Cayenne for anyone interested...

I’m not even a SUV guy and I like it.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• coldinohiocoldinohio Member Posts: 170
    welcome back to Porsche :)
    breld said:

breld said:

Opens up so many options for that second car!

it does. I am looking forward to, well, looking! Though I have trouble coming up with a short list even when I have defined criteria. Being able to get absolutely anything does not help narrow it down.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905
    @Breld love the new ride. Great color.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,418
    @breld - congrats on the Cayenne! Beautiful SUV!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Beautiful vehicle! Congratulations!
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    Congrats, @breld!

Out of curiosity, what was the net hit on the V90 lease?

Congrats, @breld!

I basically bought it for $49,123 (that was the cap cost with nothing down, MSRP was about $68k), had it for just over 10 months, and the Porsche dealer gave me $42,000 for it. Just over $700/month depreciation - not bad for me.

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,380
    @breld - love it, beautiful color!!

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,139
    I have to agree, great color on that Cayenne, I wish MB had something similar these days. Most modern blues are too dark.
    That’s really not bad of a hit, @breld. Within what I’d expect.

That’s really not bad of a hit, @breld. Within what I’d expect.

Thanks - I’ve done worse. :)

For that matter, the GLC wasn’t bad either - paid $47k for it about 8 months ago and they gave us the same $42k for it as the Volvo.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,418
    breld said:

Congrats, @breld!

I basically bought it for $49,123 (that was the cap cost with nothing down, MSRP was about $68k), had it for just over 10 months, and the Porsche dealer gave me $42,000 for it. Just over $700/month depreciation - not bad for me.

Just curious, what was your lease payment on the Volvo?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933
    breld said:

I basically bought it for $49,123 (that was the cap cost with nothing down).

Was that total cap with all fees and taxes? I don't recall, did you trade anything during that deal? And was it $0 down or $0 DAS?
    breld said:

BtoB Warranty good through May 2023 and there’s a prepaid maintenance plan that will cover the next service (10k was already done).

LOL! The next owner will appreciate that. It is transferable, right?

Cayenne exterior is pretty. If it had a light interior, I might have been interested in a few months when it is time for you to change it out.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905
    edited September 2020
    Q, fixed that for you.

I might have been interested in a few months weeks when it is time for you to change it out.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,304
    Wife and I went to look at some possible future vehicles today.
    The one I was most interested in was gone, although on the lot a couple of weeks ago, a lost opportunity.
    I was ready to go after looking at a couple of other similar units.
    Couldn't find her and when I did, we had to look at just about everything on the lot other than full size pickups.
    The GT350 didn't interest her. :'(
    Later, I decided to do some online browsing.
    Found a CPO Explorer Sport that looked reasonably priced. Looked at the linked Carfax.
    Had damage on right side, right rear, rear, left rear and left side!
    Decided to check out Carmax.
    A local one I looked at had 3 outstanding recalls, at least 2 safety related.
    It said to take to a dealer to get them taken care of. Seems pretty unethical.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • sb55sb55 Member Posts: 616
    breld said:

Congrats, @breld!

breld said:

Congrats, @breld!

I wish I knew that you were trading the V90. I have been looking:)

2021 Toyota Venza Limited Hybrid, 2022 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi, 2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT

mjfloyd1 said:
    I know the roads in Michigan are bad, but come on...
    qbrozen said:

breld said:

I basically bought it for $49,123 (that was the cap cost with nothing down).

Was that total cap with all fees and taxes? I don't recall, did you trade anything during that deal? And was it $0 down or $0 DAS?
    breld said:

BtoB Warranty good through May 2023 and there’s a prepaid maintenance plan that will cover the next service (10k was already done).

LOL! The next owner will appreciate that. It is transferable, right?

Cayenne exterior is pretty. If it had a light interior, I might have been interested in a few months when it is time for you to change it out.
    Cap cost was $48,880 before $995 lease acq fee. So total cap cost was $49,875 and I wrote a check at signing of $751 total. Monthly payment was $638 before tax. That $751 was inclusive of the first month’s payment (not entirely sure what the difference was, but wasn’t too worried about it).

No trade on that one (we sold the A5 separately).

sb55 said:

breld said:

Congrats, @breld!

breld said:

Congrats, @breld!

I wish I knew that you were trading the V90. I have been looking:)
    Oh no! I would have loved to made another sale to a fellow member!

To be quite honest, @jpp75 has a fully loaded 2017 V90 CC with low miles that he would likely be interested in selling. Feel free to PM me if that interests you.

Quick tire/rim question...

I will put snow tires on the Cayenne, which has a staggered setup.

9 x 20 wheels in front, 275/45/20 tires.
    10.5 x 20 wheel in rear, 305/40/20 tires.

There are at least a few options to get the same staggered set of winter tires, but what I’d like to do is to go square all around (for cost and winter performance) and put the 275/45/20 front size on all four.

Can I put that narrower tire on the 10.5” wide rear wheel?

I’d suggest looking at bestusedtires to see if you can find a set of snows. Given how frequently you swap, it may not be worth buying new.