Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349
    qbrozen said:

I asked my wife once if I could get a shotgun. Nope.

My wife couldn’t understand why I bought my P85- until we had a suspect in some rapes and kidnapping escape. He was sighted several times in the neighborhood where we were living at that time. I had to travel out of town for the weekend and while I was packing she asked, “Where’s OUR gun?”

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    stickguy said:

qbrozen said:

I asked my wife once if I could get a shotgun. Nope. Probably for the best. We do have a number of martial arts weapons, and I have done a fair bit of disarming training. So I’ll just have to hope the person with the gun gets real close to me. Haha

My wife would never shoot anyone, and if she did without her contacts in, would probably be me. So not arming her. I would either shoot my daughter for coming home unannounced or (more likely) put a big hole in the wall that I would have to fix.

we have a big Lab. Useless as a guard dog, but he is a tripping hazard. That would probably bark after the burglar stepped on him.
    Just remember that most burglaries happen in the daytime when most homes are empty (something like two thirds), burglars don't want to run into people. Also breaking into a home armed can carry stiffer penalties so most, not all, do the break in unarmed. I read someplace that homeowners come across armed burglars in less that 15% of confrontations.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,976
    kyfdx said:

I would hope the sound of the 12 gauge pump would be enough to scare off any attackers.

Just put a recording of it on your phone, and play it for the burglar. No chance of shooting your girlfriend, that way. ;)

I was thinking a recording of machine gun fire might work.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

Unless you practice with it regularly, a gun might be more dangerous than going unarmed. Also a lot of people can’t bring themselves to actually fire at a human.

I agree 100% regarding training and practice; I have set up a target range behind the detached garage. My son was learning and practicing with my handguns by his early teens. His friends also came out to use the range. By his senior year I didn’t even need to supervise them.
    Training is essential.
    In your training I would suggest "shoot/don't shoot" training. Shooting on the range at a target in a controlled situation is a lot different than the uncontrolled unknown situation of coming on an intruder in your home. You really need that "shoot/don't shoot" training to be fully trained in these scenarios.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    edited September 2020
    bwia said:

Wow! Kia is on fire with the introduction of the sub-compact Kia Sonet. It is another tastefully designed CUV that looks like it will have wide appeal to the young and old.

Sure is prettier than my Soul. What’s the sticker on it? Mine was $22k discounted down to $18k.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

tjc78 said:
    “ Yeah, I’m legally blind without correction... so a gun would be useless. By the time I get my glasses on and fumble for the weapon I would be a goner. ”

I thought I saw you on the road last time I was in Jersey. :p

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

driver100 said:

kyfdx said:

I would hope the sound of the 12 gauge pump would be enough to scare off any attackers.

Just put a recording of it on your phone, and play it for the burglar. No chance of shooting your girlfriend, that way. ;)

I was thinking a recording of machine gun fire might work.
    Isn’t that what the kid in ‘Home Alone’ did?

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,516

I’ve got a 12 gauge and a Ruger. Both were inherited. I take the Ruger to the range for target shooting a couple of times/year. I’ve only shot the 12 gauge once. I clean them both yearly. Mostly, they sit in my closet.

Would I use them during a break in? I’d like to say yes, but never really sure unless it actually happens. I would hope the sound of the 12 gauge pump would be enough to scare off any attackers.

there is a problem with that plan. if the intruder happens to have one also and hears it, they might just assume you intend to use it and shoot first.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    If somebody breaks into my house looking for money I'll help them look.
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
    stickguy said:

I’ve got a 12 gauge and a Ruger. Both were inherited. I take the Ruger to the range for target shooting a couple of times/year. I’ve only shot the 12 gauge once. I clean them both yearly. Mostly, they sit in my closet.

Would I use them during a break in? I’d like to say yes, but never really sure unless it actually happens. I would hope the sound of the 12 gauge pump would be enough to scare off any attackers.

there is a problem with that plan. if the intruder happens to have one also and hears it, they might just assume you intend to use it and shoot first.
    Yeh, maybe your best hope is to say take whatever you want.....we'll look the other way so we don't even know what you look like.

well, the first step is to call 911. And yell loudly while turning on lights that the cops are coming and neighbors alerted. If that doesn't get them to flee, most likely they didn't just break in looking for a few items to grab.

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,544
    omarman said:

If somebody breaks into my house looking for money I'll help them look.

Yeah, but it’s finders keepers, unless the intruder finds it, then I’d want a 75/25 split. I’ll let him have the 75%. After all, it is my money. :o

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    I would probably try to cut a deal. They can have the TV, if they also take a truck load of my wife's "treasures" from the basement.

I suppose anything can be negotiated. Make a sandwich and try the Jipst Method? My basement needs looted as well.

Just remember that most burglaries happen in the daytime when most homes are empty (something like two thirds), burglars don't want to run into people. Also breaking into a home armed can carry stiffer penalties so most, not all, do the break in unarmed. I read someplace that homeowners come across armed burglars in less that 15% of confrontations.

That brings to mind the analogy of a bowl of jellybeans where 15% of them are laced with cyanide.
    How many are you going to eat?

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

driver100 said:

Yeh, maybe your best hope is to say take whatever you want.....we'll look the other way so we don't even know what you look like.

You are definitely in the running for a Friends of Felons Award- in the Eagerly Compliant Victim category!

That brings to mind the analogy of a bowl of jellybeans where 15% of them are laced with cyanide.
    Well the difference would be that I don't have to eat the jellybeans while I have no say in whether someone breaks into my home.

edited September 2020

Well the difference would be that I don't have to eat the jellybeans while I have no say in whether someone breaks into my home.

And likewise you don’t know if the slime ball breaking in is armed or not. I prefer not to play the percentages; if the dirtball IS armed I don’t get a do-over.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147

tjc78 said:
    “ Yeah, I’m legally blind without correction... so a gun would be useless. By the time I get my glasses on and fumble for the weapon I would be a goner. ”

Reminds me that I saw Air Force One along a country highway on the way to a cruise in down by Cincinnati Friday. I should have stopped and taken a picture.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

edited September 2020

And likewise you don’t know if the slime ball breaking in is armed or not. I prefer not to play the percentages; if the dirtball IS armed I don’t get a do-over.
    But you can be sure a large part of the media folks will tell you what you should have done and when after a self-defense shooting. You need to know the laws in your state. A local guy overdid it a little and is being crucified by the press and the local prosecutor's office. Of course every IQ 85 story writer in the local media knows exactly how things should have been done, in retrospect.

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    I think it’s more likely you’ll hit some teenager looking for a lost ball or trying to find a short cut, or like one man I read about who shot and killed his son coming home for a surprise visit.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    edited September 2020
    suydam said:

I think it’s more likely you’ll hit some teenager looking for a lost ball or trying to find a short cut, or like one man I read about who shot and killed his son coming home for a surprise visit.

Yawn...

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,935
    I’m not worried about people taking things. It ain’t worth much. But I’d hate to have things broken, because I’d have to fix it. Or, worse, any bodily harm to family or pets.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

But you can be sure a large part of the media folks will tell you what you should have done and when after a self-defense shooting. You need to know the laws in your state. A local guy overdid it a little and is being crucified by the press and the local prosecutor's office. Of course every IQ 85 story writer in the local media knows exactly how things should have been done, in retrospect.
    Fortunately my state follows the castle doctrine- once the miscreant is inside my house their number is up.

Fortunately my state follows the castle doctrine- once the miscreant is inside my house their number is up.
    Hope it isn't a family member.

....or what happened around here a few years ago. Young university students car broke down on a country road just outside of town. He walked up to the house to ask for help....and got shot and was killed. Homeowner paid a pretty big penalty for that one - as he should.

This is getting dark.

tjc78 said:

Reminds me that I saw Air Force One along a country highway on the way to a cruise in down by Cincinnati Friday. I should have stopped and taken a picture.
    They probably wouldn’t have let you get close enough that you could prove to anyone that it was Air Force One.

As I’ve said before, when I was in the Navy I was in a transport squadron based at Patuxent River Naval Air Test Station in MD. What I don’t think I have said before is when Kennedy’s 707 came out of check, to avoid congesting the airspace in the DC area (Dulles was not built yet. Just had National at the time) his plane headed 60 miles South to our base to do touch-and-go’s. And they probably did at least 10 when they showed up. Our base was shut down to all traffic until they were done and all roads had traffic stopped by the Marines when the plane was about 1 mile out until the plane was about 5K feet in the air after take off.

I remember one time we were coming back to our base after being in the air for about 10 hours on a C-130. The pilot decided not to stop at Quonset Point RI to refuel since he knew he had enough gas to make it to Pax River. Ordinarily that would be fine but one time we got caught in a holding pattern for about 45 minutes due to Air Force One doing its touch-and-go’s. Everyone on board kept looking at the fuel gages. We were OK but we never let the tanks get that low. The pilot was getting disgusted and said, “it’s about time they let us use our own runway, don’t you think”? :@ We held for what turned out to be the last touch-and-go. When we were given the OK to take the runway the pilot said, “what do you think the tower would have said if I told them our tanks were about empty”? The flight engineer said, “they probably would have said we should have stopped at the last gas station and told us to put on our chutes on and aim the plane at the Chesapeake Bay”? We all chuckled but that might not have been so far fetched because nothing and I mean NOTHING got in the way of that plane when it wanted air space.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    edited September 2020
    driver100 said:

I'm incredibly blessed; no nearby family save my wife and son. And where my house is located no stranger has any legitimate reason to be prowling around after dark.

If someone doesn’t want to own a gun I respect their decision. But likewise, some of those individuals should refrain from their sanctimonious tut-tutting concerning a subject they know little to nothing about.

Saw a van like this in the drive next to country brick farm house on the way down toward GG county for a cruise in.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,140
    edited September 2020
    Or the incident involving a foreign student who was lost and ended up being slaughtered by a nutcase. Then we can get into the zero-accountability overmonied wingnuts in St Louis who ran out "defending" who probably would have been eliminated had they pulled the trigger.

I'm all for private firearm ownership, but also think much of the narrative is silly. Armed and polite society lol.
    driver100 said:

....or what happened around here a few years ago. Young university students car broke down on a country road just outside of town. He walked up to the house to ask for help....and got shot and was killed. Homeowner paid a pretty big penalty for that one - as he should.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,935
    driver100 said:

Some might hope it is a particular family member. ;b

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

driver100 said:

I'm incredibly blessed; no nearby family save my wife and son. And where my house is located no stranger has any legitimate reason to be prowling around after dark.

If someone doesn’t want to own a gun I respect their decision. But likewise, some of those individuals should refrain from their sanctimonious tut-tutting concerning a subject they know little to nothing about.
    Well, you're the expert when it comes to guns and their use, but, I bet, in every incident where someone who wasn't meant to be shot - did get shot, they thought it wouldn't happen.
    Also, I have heard of cases where somebody came home and got shot....who wasn't expected to be home.

edited September 2020
    driver100 said:

Well, you're the expert when it comes to guns and their use, but, I bet, in every incident where someone who wasn't meant to be shot - did get shot, they thought it wouldn't happen.
    Also, I have heard of cases where somebody came home and got shot....who wasn't expected to be home.

You DID read the part of my post that referenced sanctimonious tut-tutting, right?

This discussion reminds me of when you argued that jacking up a car is dangerous- it's only dangerous if you are a lazy fool who doesn't take the proper precautions.
    Ditto for firearms- if you don't get the training and practice bad things CAN happen. But that doesn't mean I'm going ditch all my firearms and fervently hope no one breaks in to my home.

driver100 said:

You DID read the part of my post that referenced sanctimonious tut-tutting, right?

This discussion reminds me of when you argued that jacking up a car is dangerous- it's only dangerous if you are a lazy fool who doesn't take the proper precautions.
    Ditto for firearms- if you don't get the training and practice bad things CAN happen. But that doesn't mean I'm going ditch all my firearms and fervently hope no one breaks in to my home.
    You can do what you like with your firearms...that is your right. I have no problem with you having a firearm in your home - as long as you live there and I live here.....just be aware accidents can happen and they often do, no matter how much training you get.
    I'd feel safer around someone who knows their own limits, and realizes they have limits....personally.

edited September 2020
    I definitely feel safer that you live "there"- especially since you seem to think that you know everyone else's limits-be it with respect to driving, vehicle maintenance, or firearm proficiency-better than they do themselves.

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    I'll sit in the corner and watch. . .this time.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    I don't know everyone's limits....I know a lot of people think they have more ability than they really have. I know almost everyone who has shot an innocent family member, thought they knew what they were doing.

25 years ago we lived in the country, pretty remote, 1/4 mile driveway. We kept a rifle....because out in the country it would be hard to get help if necessary. The rifle was pretty well hidden and out of reach....but, it would take a lot before I would chance taking it out. Incidentally, I have fired rifles before - not a fan.

edited September 2020
    Another day, another lecture...

I could say it is pointless when someone knows everything....but, I'll let you have the last word.

Zyzzyva

There I had the last word as it is the last word in the dictionary. Now on to something else.

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    kyfdx said:

She hates guns. She always asks if I would hide my 12 gauge where it can’t be seen. I tell her to close her eyes when she’s near it.

My luck, I wouldn’t be able to find it when I needed it.

@oldfarmer50 ....you need a 12 gauge if you’re legally blind....just point it in the general direction you think the intruder is, and if s/he is relatively close, you’re bound to hit some body part.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring

Another day, another lecture...

Go to the corner. However, this time you’ll have company.

jmonroe

driver100 said:

I could say it is pointless when someone knows everything....but, I'll let you have the last word.

Honest ?

jmonroe

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    fintail said:

A friend of mine lost a bidding war on this place. 1955 build, maybe renovated in the 70s (needs a kitchen bad, but 3 car garage cancels that out) so it needs heavy freshening, 1500 sq ft, adjacent to busy arterial street, next door to a hoarder house maybe the cheapest neighborhood in town - it went for 800K

ab348 said:

Presumably the upper level of the new construction is a master suite. I hate to think how much they will have in it by the time it's over. I have to think they paid at least $300K for the old untouched house. They must be playing the long game on this one.

Here's what it looked like before all the work:

We live in the South Lake Sammamish area and houses like ours are going for BIG bucks. We are think about selling downsizing but the old houses like this one are selling for close to what ours is worth. We have friends who sold their waterfront house a few blocks from us and moved to Arizona. They bought it new in 1979 for 220,000. A few years ago they totally remodeled it at great expense. It immediatly sold for 2.6 million dollars and they buyers totally GUTTED it and remodeled it again! People mush have a lot of money!
    In a market like that, cashing out to downsize is a wonderful idea. But only if you are leaving the area for someplace cheap.

Zyzzyva

There I had the last word as it is the last word in the dictionary. Now on to something else.

Well done;
    Zyzzyva is a genus of tropical American weevils often found in association with palms. It is a snouted beetle. "Zyzzyva" is the last word in many English-language dictionaries. The yellowish weevil is no longer than an ant. It was first discovered in 1922 in Brazil, and named by Thomas Lincoln Casey, Jr.

Had to check it out....never heard of it before.

fintail said:

A friend of mine lost a bidding war on this place. 1955 build, maybe renovated in the 70s (needs a kitchen bad, but 3 car garage cancels that out) so it needs heavy freshening, 1500 sq ft, adjacent to busy arterial street, next door to a hoarder house maybe the cheapest neighborhood in town - it went for 800K

ab348 said:

Presumably the upper level of the new construction is a master suite. I hate to think how much they will have in it by the time it's over. I have to think they paid at least $300K for the old untouched house. They must be playing the long game on this one.

Here's what it looked like before all the work:

We live in the South Lake Sammamish area and houses like ours are going for BIG bucks. We are think about selling downsizing but the old houses like this one are selling for close to what ours is worth. We have friends who sold their waterfront house a few blocks from us and moved to Arizona. They bought it new in 1979 for 220,000. A few years ago they totally remodeled it at great expense. It immediatly sold for 2.6 million dollars and they buyers totally GUTTED it and remodeled it again! People mush have a lot of money!
    I never thought I lived in a bad neighborhood but for 2.6 million I think you could buy 1/2 of it.

jmonroe

driver100 said:

Zyzzyva

Well done;
    Zyzzyva is a genus of tropical American weevils often found in association with palms. It is a snouted beetle. "Zyzzyva" is the last word in many English-language dictionaries. The yellowish weevil is no longer than an ant. It was first discovered in 1922 in Brazil, and named by Thomas Lincoln Casey, Jr.

Had to check it out....never heard of it before.
    Looks wise, I’ll bet you’d give it a run for the money when you wear that infamous striped shirt. B)

jmonroe

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,140
    edited September 2020
    Yeah, that's the problem - sell into a hot market means you're buying into a hot market, and that market seems to have expanded to much of the state, especially with these low rates. Not sure where one can find a deal anymore...Aberdeen? Yakima? Walla Walla? It's to the point where I am convinced anything in even a slightly sought after neighborhood in my immediate area, listed under 900K or so, is just an underpricing ploy meant to invoke a bidding war.

Your friends make me think of a friend's parents. They bought a house in Kirkland in 1985. Nice area, west of Market a block or two from the lake. House was brand new, 125K all-in. Zillows around 1.6MM today (and would probably be razed and replaced by a lame mcmodern box if it sold today). There's definitely a lot of money flowing here, both tech gold and sketchy offshore stuff.

Those parents also whined to my friend when they complained about the commute (my friend lives in Bothell), something like "if you managed your money better, you could afford to live closer", maybe stereotypically not comprehending the relationship between wages and housing costs that has devolved here over the past 20 or so years locally.