Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are you shopping for a new car and having a hard time finding what you want or did you recently buy a car but had to settle for something different than what you originally wanted? A reporter wants to speak with you; please reach out to [email protected] by 10/22 for more info.

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• tjc78tjc78 South JerseyPosts: 10,946
    Our lot will easily accommodate a shed. I’ll probably get a 12x10. Then I’ll wire it, add pegboard, etc etc.

I love my shed at shore. Looks like a mini version of the trailer. It’s fully wired with an extra fridge.

2017 Buick Enclave / 2019 Volvo S60 T6 Inscription

• corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 7,831
    One of the things I miss about my old house out in the sticks is that building lots in subdivisions were not very valuable, so I had about half an acre for a 1,200 square foot house, and the attached garage was 24 x 24.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 39,237
    well, a 3 car garage makes a difference. Darn, I want one of those! Then just have to fill it up.

speaking of which, that pretty green GTI sold, $21k. More than i expected.

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/3v2YlANm/2018-volkswagen-golf-gti-s

But just started, an even better one. Blue SE! Stunning. absolutely perfect configuration. wonder what this one will go for?

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/3zZNB7mN/2018-volkswagen-golf-gti-se

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD

tjc78 said:

Our lot will easily accommodate a shed. I’ll probably get a 12x10. Then I’ll wire it, add pegboard, etc etc.

I love my shed at shore. Looks like a mini version of the trailer. It’s fully wired with an extra fridge.

might vary by town/county, but keep an eye on size. At least here, if you stay under 100 SF, you just slap it up (as long as you meet property line restrictions). But over 100 SF, it is a building structure so need plans/permits/inspections. Which is one reason 8x12 (which we have) is easily the most common size. And really does hold a ton of stuff.

• tjc78tjc78 South JerseyPosts: 10,946
    I’ll need HOA approval for anything anyway, so
    may as well get what I want.

I have an 8x12 at the shore. Amazing how much you can stuff in there.

2017 Buick Enclave / 2019 Volvo S60 T6 Inscription

• MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 161,703
    stickguy said:

well, a 3 car garage makes a difference. Darn, I want one of those! Then just have to fill it up.

But just started, an even better one. Blue SE! Stunning. absolutely perfect configuration. wonder what this one will go for?

Oooo, me likely that blue GTI.

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 167,259
    Michaell said:

stickguy said:

Oooo, me likely that blue GTI.
    The Blue GTI is identical to mine, except different color blue. Carvana offered me $20,800 for mine, a couple weeks ago (18K miles on mine)

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I’ll go $21,000. Even. That’s even more!

• breldbreld Posts: 5,191
    Did anyone else see this in the comments section for the blue GTI on carsandbids?

we were told that the front mesh on the grill was broken in a fit of rage from the previous owner, that he kicked the grill.

2019 Cayenne Base - 2020 Supra - 2020 MINI Hardtop S

Not the greatest pedigree...
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Seattle, WAPosts: 7,058
    VW will continue to service it under warranty, UNLESS they can prove that the issue that is occurring is due to the stage 2 intake. If that occurs, then it gets flagged as modified and cannot be warrantied for that issue again.

There is no shortage of GTIs out there - pass on this one.
    2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited, 2019 BMW i3 REX, 2004 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT
    I just looked at the pretty pictures. :(

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 16,199
    breld said:

Did anyone else see this in the comments section for the blue GTI on carsandbids?

we were told that the front mesh on the grill was broken in a fit of rage from the previous owner, that he kicked the grill.

Maybe it wasn’t the car’s fault. Perhaps his wife ran off with the VW service advisor.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2004 Chevy Van, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 3,656
    breld said:

Some fine upstanding citizen did that to my Jag last year.
    I queried on C & C thread, too, does anyone have any experience with Toll Brothers home builders?

'13 Jaguar XF, possibly my favorite of all the cars I've owned. But, my '09 Jag XK was a beauty, as was my '05 Acura TL, '88 Acura Integra, '84 Mitsubishi Mirage Turbo & '78 VW Scirocco (my first!). And, of course, the '92 Nissan Sentra SE-R and '95 Saab 900s I bought for the ex... Ok, I like a lot of the cars in my life.

breld said:

I queried on C & C thread, too, does anyone have any experience with Toll Brothers home builders?
    Toll Bros build here in Colorado, but they are in a price bracket that my budget won't stretch to, so I've never walked through any of their homes.

@breld might have, however.

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

Thanks, Michaell.

And, for you GTI fans:

https://www.vwnorwood.com/searchnew.aspx?Model=Golf GTI

'13 Jaguar XF, possibly my favorite of all the cars I've owned. But, my '09 Jag XK was a beauty, as was my '05 Acura TL, '88 Acura Integra, '84 Mitsubishi Mirage Turbo & '78 VW Scirocco (my first!). And, of course, the '92 Nissan Sentra SE-R and '95 Saab 900s I bought for the ex... Ok, I like a lot of the cars in my life.

• dad23dad23 ColoradoPosts: 528
    edited September 15

They've built a few subdivisions close to our house. I can't speak to problems or how they handle customers, but they do build some very nice homes. As @Michaell said, a bit pricey.
    I only had experience a few decades ago. I know for s bit they were considered to be building big places that looked flashy but were cheap where you couldn’t see. But I believe there have been multiple buyouts and industry consolidations since then, so that urban legend is probably useless now.

Thanks, for the responses. That's my scuttlebutt knowledge of Toll, they look good and luxurious, but under the hood, not so much. But, that's from years ago, mostly a development from my former town here in MA.

And, being in the Boston area, like most in the Northeast, expensive is my middle name! My savings account laughs constantly at my middle name...

• ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 13,609
    stickguy said:

I only had experience a few decades ago. I know for s bit they were considered to be building big places that looked flashy but were cheap where you couldn’t see.

That sounds like the very definition of a McMansion.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

edited September 15
    We had a Toll Brothers home on our shortlist last year. Wife and I have always admired their houses, but for our search, we found a much better value with another builder. That Toll Brothers home did have a 4-car garage, which would have been great. The biggest downside was they spec'd this home with only a half basement, which ended up being the real deal killer as we wanted a nicely finished basement.

But I've never heard anything negative regarding their build quality, FWIW.

• Hi- my name is Andy and I have OCD (obsessive car disorder). Not just buying cars, but modding them, buying and selling them, shipping them, restoring them, racing them, cleaning them, taking pictures, everything. If you asked me whether I would choose to eat today or get a car with a full tank of gas to drive for the day, I’d starve myself. I’m 35 years old now and have had 82 cars, 50 of them Porsches... anywhere from 3-12 at a given time since I started driving. I have taken some control over my addiction, as I have only bought 2 vehicles this year (military Humvee and a 991 Carrera S). It’s been hard on my personal and professional life, but I’m making strides every day to resist the “Buy It Now” or “Is this item still available” buttons. Here to offer support for others like me afflicted with this disease. Thanks for letting me speak openly and for the support. 🙏
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 28,124

Hi- my name is Andy and I have OCD (obsessive car disorder). Not just buying cars, but modding them, buying and selling them, shipping them, restoring them, racing them, cleaning them, taking pictures, everything. If you asked me whether I would choose to eat today or get a car with a full tank of gas to drive for the day, I’d starve myself. I’m 35 years old now and have had 82 cars, 50 of them Porsches... anywhere from 3-12 at a given time since I started driving. I have taken some control over my addiction, as I have only bought 2 vehicles this year (military Humvee and a 991 Carrera S). It’s been hard on my personal and professional life, but I’m making strides every day to resist the “Buy It Now” or “Is this item still available” buttons. Here to offer support for others like me afflicted with this disease. Thanks for letting me speak openly and for the support. 🙏

11 yrs my junior and 30 cars my senior. That is definitely a problem. Are you married, Andy? How much garage space do you have to serve all these cars?

'07 ML63, '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '18 BMW X2. 52-car history and counting!

I don’t feel bad that I was cruising some listings and scoping out cars I drove by today while out running errands!

• 28firefighter28firefighter Seattle, WAPosts: 7,058
    2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited, 2019 BMW i3 REX, 2004 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT

breld said:

High end production homes

Edmunds Moderator

Interesting. I could deal with that. Though color combo is bad. With records and recent service, price maybe not too bad. Not like there are many out there.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 14,272

Hi- my name is Andy and I have OCD (obsessive car disorder). Not just buying cars, but modding them, buying and selling them, shipping them, restoring them, racing them, cleaning them, taking pictures, everything. If you asked me whether I would choose to eat today or get a car with a full tank of gas to drive for the day, I’d starve myself. I’m 35 years old now and have had 82 cars, 50 of them Porsches... anywhere from 3-12 at a given time since I started driving. I have taken some control over my addiction, as I have only bought 2 vehicles this year (military Humvee and a 991 Carrera S). It’s been hard on my personal and professional life, but I’m making strides every day to resist the “Buy It Now” or “Is this item still available” buttons. Here to offer support for others like me afflicted with this disease. Thanks for letting me speak openly and for the support. 🙏

Welcome Andy. You've found the right place. 50 Porsches? Jeez. I've only dreamed of owning one. What's currently in your fleet? Year/Make/Model/Color/Transmission?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2017 Pilot Touring AWD, 2019 Tacoma TRD Sport 4WD

This is nice looking. On my long list of cars I always wanted and looked at a few times.

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/K1dd5N0j/1992-toyota-mr2

And this one is a real throwback. Love the color combo.

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/3LekWpRV/1981-honda-accord-lx-hatchback

edited September 15
    @rittmeister -

I welcome anyone who may take some of the flak off myself. :)

stickguy said:

Last year for the Gen I Accord

Edmunds Moderator

qbrozen said:

11 yrs my junior and 30 cars my senior. That is definitely a problem. Are you married, Andy? How much garage space do you have to serve all these cars?
    Isn’t this more of an enabling group than a support group? At least he has a higher class addiction.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2004 Chevy Van, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

stickguy said:

This is nice looking. On my long list of cars I always wanted and looked at a few times.

I like that one even though it’s already too rich for me with 6 days left. Should go for about double that.

stickguy said:

Are parts still available for that?

probably are. they are pretty basic, and made a ton of them. and the mechanical parts likely carried over.

stickguy said:

I like that one even though it’s already too rich for me with 6 days left. Should go for about double that.
    if that gets into the 14,000+ range I would be out anyway. To much for a toy like that.

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 28,124

qbrozen said:

Isn’t this more of an enabling group than a support group? At least he has a higher class addiction.
    Well, now, we don’t know the whole story yet. Maybe he owned a Porsche graveyard.

'07 ML63, '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '18 BMW X2. 52-car history and counting!

If it wasn't black on black, it would have my interest.

same here. That, and being in Seattle.

so day 1 of being carless. Some random things the I saw while poking around that piqued my interest for one reason or another.

2018 GTI. That the fine folks hear quickly picked holes in! But still pretty.
    2013 GTI. No pictures or price yet. But at least should be somewhat budget friendly.
    2009 Corolla S. 125K miles. Overpriced.

only constant? all have 3 pedals!

Who knows what tomorrow will bring. One thing though these days, no longer able to just wander around when bored and pop in and out of showrooms taking random test drives.

New Z reveal...

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a34016940/nissan-z-proto-revealed/

I appreciate the relatively simple clean lines. At first blush, it seems too much of an amalgamation of previous Z elements without a cohesive overall design.

But, I’ll reserve judgment for when I see it in the flesh. The fact that Nissan is doing it at all (and on their own) and a manual is offered from the get go are wonderful things.

stickguy said:

so day 1 of being carless. Some random things the I saw while poking around that piqued my interest for one reason or another.

2013 GTI. No pictures or price yet. But at least should be somewhat budget friendly.

Who knows what tomorrow will bring. One thing though these days, no longer able to just wander around when bored and pop in and out of showrooms taking random test drives.

“One of these things is not like the other” (in classic Sesame Street melody)

breld said:

New Z reveal...

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a34016940/nissan-z-proto-revealed/

I appreciate the relatively simple clean lines. At first blush, it seems too much of an amalgamation of previous Z elements without a cohesive overall design.

But, I’ll reserve judgment for when I see it in the flesh. The fact that Nissan is doing it at all (and on their own) and a manual is offered from the get go are wonderful things.

that is a nice looking design. One of the cleaner ones to come out in recent years. Good looking, not hokey. I approve.

breld said:

stickguy said:

“One of these things is not like the other” (in classic Sesame Street melody)
    that is true. The 2018 is still under warranty.

good catch.

Wizard has an interesting video of the XC90 (ft. a guest who used to sell them). I didn't know that the T5 and T6 engines were so different. The T6 takes the standard turbocharged 2.0 liter four found in the T5, and adds a supercharger for low-end grunt. If you'd asked me, I would have thought that the T6 was just a T5 with hardened internals and the boost cranked up.

nope. the T6 is the double charger engine in any of the new models.

I watched that this morning. Man, he absolutely hammered MB too for how poorly designed the engine was. But, that is what you get with a TT V8 I guess. To the point of writing off ICE in the near future (damned millenials!)

something to be said for the ubiquitous 2.0T 4 bangers. small, only 1 head, no Vee to bury stuff in. Just has to be a heck of a lot easier to work on. Especially if they design the turbo intelligently.

I came to really appreciate the feel of the T6 in my V90 - at first, its character was a bit hard to get used to coming from the Q7. But it’s a really responsive engine, particularly in its sport mode.

He mentioned Volvo slathered the supercharger in sound deadening, too, so I'm assuming there was no supercharger whine.