Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,507
    JM, if I don't know the answer, I am good with just making something up.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    driver100 said:

Now that we solved the phone problem can we get back to real estate?

Well for a new topic I have jury duty this week, so far I haven't been called in and I don't have to go in tomorrow, so basically they have one day left to get me. B)

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

Hertz colors. Nice looking.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,644

fintail said:

The experts predicted the same thing when 45 was elected, and instead we have an overinflated carnival market (but nice to see my 401K is faring well enough even in the new great recession). RE agents are good at selling, not sure what else. Stock and RE markets are poor indicators of economic health when it comes to real people.

If I had been able to buy in locally when the lucky ones could do so, and could work remotely forever, I'd be outta here probably for points east, buy a nicer place for half the price and bank/"invest" (in a few cars, perhaps) the rest.

Another one not far from me that would be insane elsewhere but seems suspiciously cheap to me - great area, kind of cool funky house nicely sited, etc. If it was in 98004 it would probably be around twice as much.

Cheapest house in 98004, and it's a teardown

That is our problem. We've been here for 34 years and it's just the two of us now. It's a very nice house but it has stairs that we are constantly going up and down up and down. We really don't want to leave the area but if we sold it for a million for this and bought the one fintail showed it wouldn't be worth it! Now if it were 400.000 that would be a different story. Everything is so screwed up now who knows what to do. Our RE agent who is a first class agent says the consensus is if Biden gets elected the Stock Market and RE markets will crash. Not trying to make this political. Who really knows?

What’s a 3/4 bath? I know a 1/2 bath is one without a tub or shower. Is that a west coast thing?
    3/4 bath is shower, sink, toilet, no bathtub.
    Interesting. Around here we just call that a bathroom. Shower or tub makes no difference.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,345

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Great. Now I want SPAM for lunch tomorrow, and we don't have any!

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975

driver100 said:

Well for a new topic I have jury duty this week, so far I haven't been called in and I don't have to go in tomorrow, so basically they have one day left to get me. B)
    They had an article in our daily newspaper about how courts are getting back into action and they will be looking for jury members again. I have never been called for jury duty, I really hope I don't have to do it. We are fortunate to have a jury system, and I like Judge TV Shows, but, what an inconvenience! Good luck, hope they don't find you suitable.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

well, probably getting excused when they ask him name and he says "Snakeweael"

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,978
    I've been called for jury duty only a handful of times - once or twice at the county level, and once at the Federal level.

The Federal summons was in the late 90's about the time that Terry Nichols was going on trial here in Denver for his role in the OKC bombing. That would have been terrifying, and interesting, at the same time. I think the trial went on for some months, and he was acquitted of some charges and found guilty of others. The same jury then had to determine sentencing, and they deadlocked.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

They had an article in our daily newspaper about how courts are getting back into action and they will be looking for jury members again. I have never been called for jury duty, I really hope I don't have to do it. We are fortunate to have a jury system, and I like Judge TV Shows, but, what an inconvenience! Good luck, hope they don't find you suitable.
    Originally I was scheduled to do this last April but they postponed it due to the story of 2020 being written by clowns. They let me pick the week to be on call, looks like I picked the right one.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933
    Kinda surprised those shill posts are still up.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,901
    edited September 2020
    stickguy said:

driver100 said:

well, I finally got an update from the bank doing my mortgage refi (at a snails pace). Sent me the appraisal (done 8/26 I think) to review and sign off on reading. So I got that done. Hopefully that is the last thing before they finally approve it and look to schedule closing. I think the rate lock goes to 10/8 or 10/9, so might be tight with how backed up they are.
    It's slow as our Realtor just advised us. Ours is moving along well. I just sent them a billion documents they asked for.

Our house goes on the market Saturday.

I am so tired. Since Friday night we have done the following:

Fill a 20 yard dumpster with furniture and other things we weren't bringing to the new house
    Touch up all the cinderblock walls in the basement
    Pack everything we are taking that's in the basement
    Thin down and pack extra stuff that was in our closets
    Take down all the personal pictures
    Painted the shutters outside
    Painted three doors and all the trim in our bedroom
    Planted mums and re-mulched the front planting bed
    Numerous other little things

We had the basement and all the windows cleaned today, and the crew is deep cleaning the whole place tomorrow. Pictures on Friday.

We escaped to the shore since we are both WFH and the kids are remote Thurs and Fri

What a week!

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,702
    qbrozen said:

We don’t work 24/7. B)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

slackers.

stickguy said:

slackers.

Really, what our are dues paying for?

tjc78 said:

stickguy said:

driver100 said:

well, I finally got an update from the bank doing my mortgage refi (at a snails pace). Sent me the appraisal (done 8/26 I think) to review and sign off on reading. So I got that done. Hopefully that is the last thing before they finally approve it and look to schedule closing. I think the rate lock goes to 10/8 or 10/9, so might be tight with how backed up they are.
    It's slow as our Realtor just advised us. Ours is moving along well. I just sent them a billion documents they asked for.

Our house goes on the market Saturday.

I am so tired. Since Friday night we have done the following:

Fill a 20 yard dumpster with furniture and other things we weren't bringing to the new house
    Touch up all the cinderblock walls in the basement
    Pack everything we are taking that's in the basement
    Thin down and pack extra stuff that was in our closets
    Take down all the personal pictures
    Painted the shutters outside
    Painted three doors and all the trim in our bedroom
    Planted mums and re-mulched the front planting bed
    Numerous other little things

We had all the basement and all the windows cleaned today, and the crew is deep cleaning the whole place tomorrow. Pictures on Friday.

We escaped to the shore since we are both WFH and the kids are remote Thurs and Fri

What a week!
    made me tired just thinking about all that work. I accomplished much less!

good luck with the sale.

my guess is they prioritize sales over refis right now, since they are obviously more time sensitive. And could just be the particular bank.

Thanks, we decided to do a new front roof since it's 20 years old (back was done with the addition and is only 3 years old). That gets done next week and we are noting it in the listing. We raised our asking up a bit to cover it. I checked the comps and we are inline when comparing the smaller houses and what they are going for.

Our inside is nice with everything updated, the outside/landscaping is what could use some work. At least we have the large patio out back. You could move right in without touching a thing, so that certainly adds some value.

it does. easy to do some landscaping later, but if floors/kitchen need immediate attention, you will lose a lot of potential buyers.

kyfdx said:

qbrozen said:

We don’t work 24/7. B)
    Why not? We post 24/7. :b

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Need to hire someone over in Asia to cover the overnight shift.

stickguy said:

Need to hire someone over in Asia to cover the overnight shift.

Might be cheaper to buy the moderators a Box O' Joe from Dunkin Donuts. That would keep our dues low.

qbrozen said:

kyfdx said:

qbrozen said:

We don’t work 24/7. B)
    Between us, we are on line 16-18 hours a day, 7 days a week. I'd say that's more than enough for this group.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,385
    Michaell said:

qbrozen said:

kyfdx said:

qbrozen said:

We don’t work 24/7. B)
    Between us, we are on line 16-18 hours a day, 7 days a week. I'd say that's more than enough for this group.
    Too much. You’re both kind souls.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • ventureventure Member Posts: 2,872
    stickguy said:

driver100 said:

The appraisal is for them isn't it? I wonder why they want you to sign off on it. I sold a house last year and don't remember doing that. Maybe it's a bank thing.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

Michaell said:

qbrozen said:

kyfdx said:

qbrozen said:

We don’t work 24/7. B)
    Especially since we need minimal looking after :)

venture said:

stickguy said:

driver100 said:

The appraisal is for them isn't it? I wonder why they want you to sign off on it. I sold a house last year and don't remember doing that. Maybe it's a bank thing.
    I assume bank thing. Everything is on the borrower portal (all my uploads, etc) so anything they produce appears there too. And I get a task to review and confirm I did it. I’m. Just glad to see the processor has actually done something with the file.

venture said:

stickguy said:

driver100 said:

Big companies are being extra cautious these days....too many insurance and property scams. When I changed insurance companies (car and home) they are going to send out an appraiser - FOR HOME INSURANCE! Can't they see it on google? They asked a dozen questions, have you ever been convicted of insurance fraud, how many claims have you made in the last 6 years, how old is your roof, does your sump pump have batteries.....?

We aren't really in a flood plain area because we are on the side of a small mountain, so any water build up will go over the edge.

We lived in the country - that is when we had a rifle - on 99 acres. I really resented paying taxes on all that land (we got a big reduction letting a farmer use a portion), so I wanted my next house to have a good view, but not a lot of property that I would pay tax on....this way I can see for miles and not pay taxes on it!

edited September 2020
    After my father died my mother just wanted to trade houses with us, each of us assuming whatever debt was remaining on the property. I was working with a different lender from my mother and my lender wanted an appraisal of my old house. I couldn’t see how that was even remotely relevant to my lender- any difference in appraised value would have only impacted my mother’s lifetime exclusion. What would they have done if my mother had just given me the house subject to the existing mortgage?

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Having been in the real estate market off and on for the last 8 months, people like @kyfdx, @imidazol97, or @roadburner probably don’t see the maxed out or over heated market that some on the coasts see.

For the kind of money you guys on the West Coast are seeing houses sell for, you can live in very nice houses in the very nicest neighborhoods in and around Ohio and Kentucky. I’ve got a 3,000 sq ft house with 4 BRs, 3 full and one ½ bath, modern mechanicals, on a nice sized lot, in a cul-de-sac in a relatively nice and quiet suburb that will sell for $300K-$325K. It’s move in ready.

We’re already in the deepest economic crisis since the Great Depression. So, whomever gets elected here next, has nowhere to go but up. And, I won’t take investment advice from someone who isn’t certified to give it.

I think the old adage applies. Don’t buy high and sell low (which is what’s bound to happen in today’s real estate market).

Back to cars...am I the only one who doesn’t think the 400Z that’s coming out looks good? I don’t like it. Given a choice, I’d buy the Infiniti Q50 Red over the 400Z (which is going to be a clone of).
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring

Back to cars...am I the only one who doesn’t think the 400Z that’s coming out looks good? I don’t like it. Given a choice, I’d buy the Infiniti Q50 Red over the 400Z (which is going to be a clone of).

I don’t have strong feelings either way. I still kind of like the 370Z- in fact I’d probably buy one if the telematics were a bit more up to date. Then there’s the question of Nissan’s long term viability.

It’s not my cup of tea overall. If I wanted something like this would probably get a mustang. Would prefer something more compact for a sports car.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,078
    It doesn’t look new to me though I admit to not following Nissan products very closely. It just seems derivative to me. Not exciting for me at all.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

On another vehicular topic, I often follow the forums dealing with cars I’m considering purchasing. As an example, the Giulia forums keep my desire for that car at bay- new cars missing a complete wiring harness anyone?
    Anyway, the Stinger forum had a recent post from a guy who took his Stinger in for service and then found greasy fingerprints and red shop rag lint all over his car’s dash and glove box- apparently left by the alleged “technician” who replaced the cabin filter. I know that most all of the local Ford and VW dealers refuse to employ techs with opposable thumbs and I fear that the Kia dealers utilize a similar hiring policy. It’s a real concern since I’ve been exchanging emails with a NCM at one of the local Kia dealers who really wants to sell me a RWD Stinger GT2.

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,385
    I think perhaps the good news is that, from what we can tell with @graphicguy's ownership experience, you shouldn't need the dealer much.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,136
    edited September 2020
    To paraphrase something, nobody ever lost money gambling with Seattle real estate (well, they might have lost if they bought and sold too fast around 2010, but if they held from that point until now there are probably endless cases of people more than doubling, if not tripling their money in a decade).

I like the new Z for its lack of overstyling - the big rectangular mouth isn't the best theme, but the Z32 rear light cluster is cool. Still, not something on my list.

Having been in the real estate market off and on for the last 8 months, people like @kyfdx, @imidazol97, or @roadburner probably don’t see the maxed out or over heated market that some on the coasts see.

For the kind of money you guys on the West Coast are seeing houses sell for, you can live in very nice houses in the very nicest neighborhoods in and around Ohio and Kentucky. I’ve got a 3,000 sq ft house with 4 BRs, 3 full and one ½ bath, modern mechanicals, on a nice sized lot, in a cul-de-sac in a relatively nice and quiet suburb that will sell for $300K-$325K. It’s move in ready.

We’re already in the deepest economic crisis since the Great Depression. So, whomever gets elected here next, has nowhere to go but up. And, I won’t take investment advice from someone who isn’t certified to give it.

I think the old adage applies. Don’t buy high and sell low (which is what’s bound to happen in today’s real estate market).

stickguy said:

It’s not my cup of tea overall. If I wanted something like this would probably get a mustang. Would prefer something more compact for a sports car.

The 350/370 is nearly 2 feet shorter than the Mustang. The 400 is growing some but only to the same length as the Supra. The compact size is why I preferred the driving dynamics of my 350 to my stang GT. But I had an early lighter 350.

It seems bulkier. Did not realize it was that short. But gives a camaro like vibe, with tiny windows and high door sills.

Mustang, for some reason, I always think is shorter than it really is.

I should just stick with a GTI!

We jumped into buying a new home right now for a few reasons.

1: the value of our home is very high right now
    2: we have significant equity in it.
    3: interest rates are crazy low.
    4: we are in our home more than ever and wanted the extra space.

The home we are buying was built two years ago for $15,000 less than we are paying so we didn’t do too bad. New home prices (which we originally wanted are going to skyrocket with the costs of raw materials going through the roof)

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,724
    I'm witnessing new home prices rocket up; e.g. when we first visited the Toll Bros development, the base price for the model that we were interested in was $588,995. Today, thanks to the immutable law of supply/demand: $635,995. And, the sales rep said likely going up again before month end.
    We are not amused.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

I'm witnessing new home prices rocket up; e.g. when we first visited the Toll Bros development, the base price for the model that we were interested in was $588,995. Today, thanks to the immutable law of supply/demand: $635,995. And, the sales rep said likely going up again before month end.
    We are not amused.

When I bought my first house, around the year 2000, prices for the houses we were looking at (new builds) were increasing $500-1000 every week.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Yup, up $47k in ~12 weeks, so, again, winning. Just not us as the buyer.
    Unlikely we'll buy there. 13-15 month delivery timeframe. Not to mention she will want more upgrades, already mentioned $10k worth during sales call. As well as "Homesite Premiums" (although there are two lots left with no premium). Resales looking more attractive in that area.
    Why does she not understand how much we'd save if I just bought a couple of cars instead of a new home?

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,299
    A friend of mine who is s real estate developer said they are having a hard time getting matching appliance sets.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    I had to pay an extra $100 on my new shed, because pressure treated lumber prices (from Canada) were spiking.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,136
    Heck, I bought a new desk chair a couple weeks ago and there was no supply. It seemed like 75% of stuff at Office Depot was sold out. I got very lucky with the one I wanted - on indefinite backorder online, only available at a couple locations in the state.

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    dino001 said:

stickguy said:

I've never seen that pop up on my iPhone. Though I have an 11.

Neither have I, I think it’s a carrier. Mine is Spectrum, very cheap , only $14/month with 1 GB of data (usually enough for my daily routine between wifi spots at home and work), but it has no spam protections. I even get those annoying text spams messages without ability to block them. I don’t bother to block individual numbers, as those are spoofed anyway.
    I have something similar to yours. I have "xfinity mobil" which is $12.00 a month plus tax or about $13.45 a month for 1 gig of data. If you go over 1 gig of data, it's another $12.00 for each partial gig or full gig over the 1 gig included with the service. You can convert to unlimited data for $45.00 a month plus tax, but since I am always on WiFi with some brief exceptions (like in the car), I usually don't use more than 100-300 megs of data a month. You have to have Xfinity (Comcast) internet service as well as cable TV in order to qualify for the pricing. They use Verison towers for their service, so the quality is as good as Tmobil, AT&T, etc.

I have an Apple 8+ but neither the phone or the carrier alert me to spam calls.

2021 Genesis G90

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    It’s tough to buy in this market. On the other hand, rents are high too, so not much good sending your money that way either. You have to live somewhere!
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    We were told, regarding another developer's next development, prices will definitely be going up; lumber prices up 30% in the last few months.

Luckily, we don't have to buy; just thinking (with WFH) time to sell each of our condos and buy together. But, it aint' cheap!

Just got my new company iPhone SE, woo hoo.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,644
    edited September 2020
    driver100 said:

driver100 said:

Are you just bragging because there’s no crime in Canada?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    OF, how many days a week are you working now? We're back to three days but I've let my boss know that if Sundays ever come back, I'd love to be among that group also. We got a raise a few weeks back, $1.25 so we're finally at $10/hour. Assuming y'all got the same thing up north to.
    They've gone down to three folks in a 13 pack now, was four when we first returned after the furlough, but guessing someone complained and they went down to three drivers. Temps are taken first thing and if too high, those folks are sent home. Masks and sanitizing equipment are provided and if we end up going to locations to bring vehicles, we can usually get another mask. I find that after a few hours or after lunch, I like a fresh one.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)