Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,762
    pensfan83 said:

A few cosmetic updates were done on the ZHP. The shift boot, e-brake handle, and e-brake boot are custom with tri-color stitching. The rear parcel shelf was also recovered in black suede material as the original fabric had faded to a light purple over the years and a few other areas were refreshed. Really happy with how things turned out.

Yes; wow! Those look really nice. I'm sure even moreso to you... but, then, you didn't offer up any "before" shots! :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    pensfan83 said:

A few cosmetic updates were done on the ZHP. The shift boot, e-brake handle, and e-brake boot are custom with tri-color stitching. The rear parcel shelf was also recovered in black suede material as the original fabric had faded to a light purple over the years and a few other areas were refreshed. Really happy with how things turned out.

Did you do them? Or did you get “the guy”?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,538
    Ha. Fair point

1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    pensfan83 said:

Very nice! I had to re-do the parcel shelf on the M6.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,441
    WatchPensFanGo! Very nice. Amazing how some relatively small items can transform a car.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,221
    @pensfan83 Just noticed... you replaced the cupholders, too?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Chatted with my son before. I think he’s worse than me. He started with a comment that a Tacoma would fit in his garage, then flitted over to deals on a Supra, cheap lease on a Bolt, or maybe he would get a Tesla (since he now has a place to charge an EV).

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,032
    stickguy said:

Chatted with my son before. I think he’s worse than me. He started with a comment that a Tacoma would fit in his garage, then flitted over to deals on a Supra, cheap lease on a Bolt, or maybe he would get a Tesla (since he now has a place to charge an EV).

The nut apple doesn’t fall far from the tree. :D

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,538
    qbrozen said:

pensfan83 said:

Did you do them? Or did you get “the guy”?
    The guy made and installed them for me. Could I have done it? The front ones, definitely. The shift and e-brake boots are basically glued to plastic rings that snap in place under the trim and center console respectively and the e-brake handle will slide off with some force. The rear shelf basically required removing the entire back seat area, speakers, c-pillars, etc.

@kyfdx the cupholders, coin holder, console base, and armrest trim are new which I installed.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    You still planning to sell the prelude at some point? Or just developing your own hooptie fleet?

stickguy said:

You still planning to sell the prelude at some point? Or just developing your own hooptie fleet?

Hey now... the ZHP is not a hooptie! :D

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,156
    kyfdx said:

stickguy said:

Having had a ride in that very car, I will agree. Not a hooptie.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,335
    I'm toying with the idea of transferring the i3 and capitalizing on a Bolt lease. But then that just seems like so much work.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
    I should go look at a bolt. But I really can’t see myself working out that kind of deal. Especially without Costco helping!

stickguy said:

I should go look at a bolt. But I really can’t see myself working out that kind of deal. Especially without Costco helping!

Article in Jalopnik about the Bolt deals, today. Lots of comments, good and bad, about it. Many folks complain about the seats.

@stickguy, knowing how important that is for you, I'll guess you won't like it, very much.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

edited September 2020
    Oh, I’m sure I would hate it. But it’s so cheap, and probably the perfect spare car.

Did I mention cheap?

stickguy said:

Oh, I’m sure I would hate it. But it’s so cheap, and probably the perfect spare car.

Did I mention cheap?

If you can find a Costco that has opened up since September 1st, you can sign up there, and still get the $3000. :o

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Right now, I can’t justify even a free Bolt. It would just sit in the driveway

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

qbrozen said:

The wife is very likely going back to work full time (she's having her final interview as I type this), and we talked about continuing to share the Outback. I'll shuttle her to/from work every other week, and she'll take the car every other week.

Only a 10 minute drive, so not a huge inconvenience..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,225
    Michaell said:

kyfdx said:

stickguy said:

Having had a ride in that very car, I will agree. Not a hooptie.
    So more of a hooptie-do?
    edited September 2020
    kyfdx said:

stickguy said:

Did I mention cheap?

If you can find a Costco that has opened up since September 1st, you can sign up there, and still get the $3000. :o
    good thing. I think a new one close by just opened this month!

Edit: just checked. Doesn't open until 10/21.

Michaell said:

qbrozen said:

The wife is very likely going back to work full time (she's having her final interview as I type this), and we talked about continuing to share the Outback. I'll shuttle her to/from work every other week, and she'll take the car every other week.

I can share a car when we are both home and it is always here. But if the wife is taking it to work, I refuse to be stuck here carless. Plus, chauffeuring her back and forth is a non-starter. So that would be a definite reason to get myself something!

stickguy said:

Michaell said:

qbrozen said:

I can share a car when we are both home and it is always here. But if the wife is taking it to work, I refuse to be stuck here carless. Plus, chauffeuring her back and forth is a non-starter. So that would be a definite reason to get myself something!
    As you've pointed out, the daughter will be at home for many days during the winter (no obligations at the cooking studio some days, and on other days she goes in later in the day for evening events), so the MINI is here a lot of the time, in case of emergency.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    qbrozen said:

The Bolt would definitely just sit in my driveway.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

that is a nice one. But not cheap. Love the color! if it was cheaper would work for me.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,564
    edited September 2020
    qbrozen said:

Huh. I never knew they made a hardtop convertible Sebring
    https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/share/277601733

Yes, and with that wonderful 2.7L V6 it probably has at least another thousand miles left in her before it blows up. Never mind, the hardtop had the 3.5L. Much better.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

it has the 3.5l motor. Not sure if that is more durable, but definitely should be quick.

Only on Hoovie can you find a mechanic to engine swap a p-car for $1600.

I was impressed by that low price too. I doubt you could get a domestic engine swap for that.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

edited September 2020
    dad23 said:
    That link takes you to a page with a lot of 2020 Elantras.

We were delivering tons of those all over the Northeast today. I always like the Elantras but the new ones we have in our fleet were really cheap. Plastic interior like a Corolla and unsupportive seats. No lumbar support at all.

They must have given the company a deal.

Only on Hoovie can you find a mechanic to engine swap a p-car for $1600.

I was impressed by that low price too. I doubt you could get a domestic engine swap for that.
    well, doesn't include the price of the motor, so most likely you can. Probably doesn't take that long to yank the engine out of something like a Tahoe or old style explorer.

dad23 said:
    That link takes you to a page with a lot of 2020 Elantras.

We were delivering tons of those all over the Northeast today. I always like the Elantras but the new ones were have in our fleet were really cheap. Plastic interior like a Corolla and unsupportive seats. No lumbar support at all.

They must have given the company a deal.
    there is a brand new redesign (I assume baby Sonata) due out shortly.

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698
    I imagine the new Elantra will have plenty of resemblance to the Sonata, but there was an article just today on C&D about how Hyundai states they want distinctive looks for their models (like the new Tucson’s grill not being the same as their other SUVs).

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,953
    The A3 had the 65K service done yesterday. Besides the induction service, coolant flush and rotation of the tires, they suggested, recommended, a serpentine belt replacement. I happened to be right across the street picking up a Audi A5, so stopped in and talked to the service adviser. He said the belt should be changed every 5 years or 60K miles. Told the wife if she plans on keeping the A3 for awhile, then might as well do the belt. If not keeping it much longer, might as well skip it.
    From the rest of you guys, was this the right answer? Should she just have the belt replaced sooner than later? I still haven't approached her about trading in the Golf and getting herself something new. I'd take the A3 and just add the difference between the Golf and A3. Makes some sense if she really wants something new since my drive is so small right now that it would take me a couple of years to put on maybe 10K miles. The Audi has just a bit over 56K on the clock. Besides it needing a quart of oil added every 8K or so miles, it hasn't been in for an unscheduled stop yet. All I'd have to do is have the tint guy replace the back window tint as we'd use him again for her new ride and he did give us a lifetime guarantee on it. I think I could live with the A3 for a couple of years if need be.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

stickguy said:

that is a nice one. But not cheap. Love the color! if it was cheaper would work for me.

I’m sure the shipping from Seattle to NJ wouldn’t amount to much at all... ;)

breld said:

I imagine the new Elantra will have plenty of resemblance to the Sonata, but there was an article just today on C&D about how Hyundai states they want distinctive looks for their models (like the new Tucson’s grill not being the same as their other SUVs).

Pictures of it are out now. It looks fine except for some odd-looking tortured sheet metal stamping on the body sides to give it a triangular look, bizarre. The new Tucson looks like they tried a revival of 1940s GM pontoon fenders. Distinctive doesn’t necessarily mean good.

ab348 said:

stickguy said:

I’m sure the shipping from Seattle to NJ wouldn’t amount to much at all... ;)
    I am willing to fly and drive, but that is a bit beyond my limts.

ab348 said:

breld said:

Pictures of it are out now. It looks fine except for some odd-looking tortured sheet metal stamping on the body sides to give it a triangular look, bizarre. The new Tucson looks like they tried a revival of 1940s GM pontoon fenders. Distinctive doesn’t necessarily mean good.
    I am interested in seeing the N line. If it addressed the flaws of the Sport I had, could be a nice option vs. the Si or GTI.

pensfan83 said:

Ha. Fair point.

Oh, yes. Huge improvement, particularly with the back.

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    stickguy said:

Did I mention cheap?

That has proven to not be a good enough reason on past deals. Oh, you end up getting them, but then it is just pick, pick, pick....
    Hey, JRgo is having a fire sale. Better get in line quick.

https://youtu.be/eVellA_-ZvA

Hoovie has a lot nicer stuff. Compared to him, JR is running a BHPH lot in a bad neighborhood.

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,238
    edited September 2020
    I'd be interested in the 9-5 if he's letting it go. I was really disappointed with the dyno run on the SRT-10.
    I thought he got rid of that?

I have not watched this episode yet. I assume he lists the cars he still has.

I liked the Rampage.

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,238
    stickguy said:

I have not watched this episode yet. I assume he lists the cars he still has.

I liked the Rampage.

Correct. Rampage is gone unless I missed something. It was interesting. C30 is for sale on Autotempest (but I'm not tempted, +1 for self-control?). The Saab parts place sent him a zillion boxes of parts for the 9-5, and he said there's still stuff to be done on it, so no luck there.
    I wouldn't mind the C30, but the fact that he didn't do the timing belt annoys me.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

edited September 2020
    That price is completely delusional

I don’t make the news,I just report it. They sound like someone who would be totally reasonable. Not.