Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,562

Having been in the real estate market off and on for the last 8 months, people like @kyfdx, @imidazol97, or @roadburner probably don’t see the maxed out or over heated market that some on the coasts see.

For the kind of money you guys on the West Coast are seeing houses sell for, you can live in very nice houses in the very nicest neighborhoods in and around Ohio and Kentucky. I’ve got a 3,000 sq ft house with 4 BRs, 3 full and one ½ bath, modern mechanicals, on a nice sized lot, in a cul-de-sac in a relatively nice and quiet suburb that will sell for $300K-$325K. It’s move in ready.

We’re already in the deepest economic crisis since the Great Depression. So, whomever gets elected here next, has nowhere to go but up. And, I won’t take investment advice from someone who isn’t certified to give it.

I think the old adage applies. Don’t buy high and sell low (which is what’s bound to happen in today’s real estate market).

Back to cars...am I the only one who doesn’t think the 400Z that’s coming out looks good? I don’t like it. Given a choice, I’d buy the Infiniti Q50 Red over the 400Z (which is going to be a clone of).

I’m not too impressed with the front view but as I said it looks good from the rear.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

stickguy said:

It seems bulkier. Did not realize it was that short. But gives a camaro like vibe, with tiny windows and high door sills.

Mustang, for some reason, I always think is shorter than it really is.

I should just stick with a GTI!

That shorter wheelbase isn’t always a good thing. My Eclipse had a sub 100” wheelbase and it would porpoise going over certain road features. My Mustang doesn’t but you would never mistake it for shorter than a Z.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

OF, how many days a week are you working now? We're back to three days but I've let my boss know that if Sundays ever come back, I'd love to be among that group also. We got a raise a few weeks back, $1.25 so we're finally at $10/hour. Assuming y'all got the same thing up north to.
    They've gone down to three folks in a 13 pack now, was four when we first returned after the furlough, but guessing someone complained and they went down to three drivers. Temps are taken first thing and if too high, those folks are sent home. Masks and sanitizing equipment are provided and if we end up going to locations to bring vehicles, we can usually get another mask. I find that after a few hours or after lunch, I like a fresh one.

We’re back to our regular two days (unlimited hours) schedule but because they are staggering start times we are losing up to two hours a day over pre-lay-off. They had a sign up sheet for temporary Sunday shifts but I decided I’m over that clawing for hours thing. Up here in NY raises are given by government fiat so whatever the company would have given us is overshadowed by vote buying. We’re up to $11.80 an hour and will be getting another 70 cents in January. Cost of living is higher up here so there’s no real advantage (regular gas is $2.40).

We usual ride in a 350 Ford Transit with a driver and 3 passengers. Today we had to shift to a Chevy van because the Transit won’t fit into the airport garage. We can get masks, gloves, sanitizers as needed in unlimited quantities. They take our temperatures every morning.

Today the HR folks asked us to take a survey on how we felt about the company. Hilarious that they asked a bunch of 70ish retirees if the company enabled our career goals or allowed us to “fulfill our best best potential both during and after work”. What a bunch of new age baloney.

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,466

Having been in the real estate market off and on for the last 8 months, people like @kyfdx, @imidazol97, or @roadburner probably don’t see the maxed out or over heated market that some on the coasts see.

For the kind of money you guys on the West Coast are seeing houses sell for, you can live in very nice houses in the very nicest neighborhoods in and around Ohio and Kentucky. I’ve got a 3,000 sq ft house with 4 BRs, 3 full and one ½ bath, modern mechanicals, on a nice sized lot, in a cul-de-sac in a relatively nice and quiet suburb that will sell for $300K-$325K. It’s move in ready.

We’re already in the deepest economic crisis since the Great Depression. So, whomever gets elected here next, has nowhere to go but up. And, I won’t take investment advice from someone who isn’t certified to give it.

I think the old adage applies. Don’t buy high and sell low (which is what’s bound to happen in today’s real estate market).

Back to cars...am I the only one who doesn’t think the 400Z that’s coming out looks good? I don’t like it. Given a choice, I’d buy the Infiniti Q50 Red over the 400Z (which is going to be a clone of).

I’m not too impressed with the front view but as I said it looks good from the rear.
    Move the steering wheel.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290

The new Z car does look a little uninspired. Almost as if the guy making the clay model got it down to the general shape of the car and then just quit.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

Michaell said:

I'm witnessing new home prices rocket up; e.g. when we first visited the Toll Bros development, the base price for the model that we were interested in was $588,995. Today, thanks to the immutable law of supply/demand: $635,995. And, the sales rep said likely going up again before month end.
    We are not amused.

When I bought my first house, around the year 2000, prices for the houses we were looking at (new builds) were increasing $500-1000 every week.
    When we bought our current house around 2001 it was new construction and we were at the sales office on a Sunday. We (by that I mean my wife) wanted to get a premium lot on the lake (a retainage pond surrounded on three sides by homes and on the fourth side by a park). Those lots were not released for sale at the time but the sales lady told us that they would be released for sale the next day (first day of the work week) along with a $3K across the board price increase on all the home models. We mentioned that we would come by the next day to get pick a lot and get the process rolling. The sales lady told us that they would release the lot of our choice for sale that day so we could get the lot we wanted and avoid the price increase.

suydam said:

It’s tough to buy in this market. On the other hand, rents are high too, so not much good sending your money that way either. You have to live somewhere!

Tents are cheap.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    so is your parents basement. If you are of a certain age.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

suydam said:

It’s tough to buy in this market. On the other hand, rents are high too, so not much good sending your money that way either. You have to live somewhere!

Tents are cheap.
    But probably more expensive than they were last month.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964
    stickguy said:

I had to pay an extra $100 on my new shed, because pressure treated lumber prices (from Canada) were spiking.

It is probably more because of the extra tariffs you guys keep applying (just trying to answer - not political :( )

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

Now that we solved the phone problem can we get back to real estate?

Well for a new topic I have jury duty this week, so far I haven't been called in and I don't have to go in tomorrow, so basically they have one day left to get me. B)
    They had an article in our daily newspaper about how courts are getting back into action and they will be looking for jury members again. I have never been called for jury duty, I really hope I don't have to do it. We are fortunate to have a jury system, and I like Judge TV Shows, but, what an inconvenience! Good luck, hope they don't find you suitable.
    Are you just bragging because there’s no crime in Canada?
    No....I have to admit, we do have crime, unfortunately. They just found a dead guy in Mexico who they are sure shot a mobster as he got out of his bullet proof Escalade in town....at least I tied a car into this one.

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

Now that we solved the phone problem can we get back to real estate?

Well for a new topic I have jury duty this week, so far I haven't been called in and I don't have to go in tomorrow, so basically they have one day left to get me. B)
    They had an article in our daily newspaper about how courts are getting back into action and they will be looking for jury members again. I have never been called for jury duty, I really hope I don't have to do it. We are fortunate to have a jury system, and I like Judge TV Shows, but, what an inconvenience! Good luck, hope they don't find you suitable.
    Are you just bragging because there’s no crime in Canada?
    No....I have to admit, we do have crime, unfortunately. They just found a dead guy in Mexico who they are sure shot a mobster as he got out of his bullet proof Escalade in town....at least I tied a car into this one.
    Yes but you Canadians are just so polite about it, muggers say "please" before demanding that you give them your valuables and send you an apology afterwards.

The new Z car does look a little uninspired. Almost as if the guy making the clay model got it down to the general shape of the car and then just quit.
    I think it was time for the designer to go home when he got to designing the grill;

From the rear...it does look better.........this was his work from the morning;

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    driver100 said:

I think it was time for the designer to go home when he got to designing the grill;

Good grief! It looks like a screaming Anime robot.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    Overnight I heard a radio report about a Tesla in Canada reported speeding. When the Royal Canadian Mounted Police caught up with it, there were two young men sleeping. In fact, the car speeded up when the RCMP came up behind and lite it up.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/tesla-driver-napping-alberta-speeding-1.5727828

I pictured an officer mounted riding his horse as fast as he could to catch the perps.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Michaell said:

I'm witnessing new home prices rocket up; e.g. when we first visited the Toll Bros development, the base price for the model that we were interested in was $588,995. Today, thanks to the immutable law of supply/demand: $635,995. And, the sales rep said likely going up again before month end.
    We are not amused.

When I bought my first house, around the year 2000, prices for the houses we were looking at (new builds) were increasing $500-1000 every week.
    Back in 1979 when we started looking at houses the prices were going up $1000 a month. That might not seem as extreme but this was on houses with $25k prices. At the time inflation was 20% a year for everything else and mortgage rates were in the 10% range.

We kept losing ground to the point where by 1981 we bought land and built our own. Even with sweat equity it cost us $45k fora $30k house. :'(

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,031
    The house 3 doors up from me hit the market a week ago, nice place, 4 bdr, 2 bath, mostly updated nicely inside, pleasant little backyard but a small lot as all around here are. I remember the previous owners sold it to the current ones in 2008 and the real estate website indicates it went for $260K at the time. Apparently there were some basement water problems while they had it, hopefully fixed now, according to the scuttlebutt from the neighbors. This time it is on for $399K and on Wednesday it showed as sale pending, but that now seems to have fallen through. I do expect another bidding war.

https://www.viewpoint.ca/map#eyJvdmVydmlldyI6eyJsaXN0aW5nIjp7ImNsYXNzX2lkIjoxLCJsaXN0aW5nX2lkIjoiMjAyMDE4NDI1In0sInByb3BlcnR5Ijp7InBpZCI6IjAwMDQzMzcyIiwiY2xhc3NfaWQiOiIxIn19LCJzdW1tYXJ5Ijp7Imxpc3RpbmciOnsiY2xhc3NfaWQiOjEsImxpc3RpbmdfaWQiOiIyMDIwMTg0MjUifSwicHJvcGVydHkiOnsicGlkIjoiMDAwNDMzNzIiLCJjbGFzc19pZCI6IjEifX19

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

OF, how many days a week are you working now? We're back to three days but I've let my boss know that if Sundays ever come back, I'd love to be among that group also. We got a raise a few weeks back, $1.25 so we're finally at $10/hour. Assuming y'all got the same thing up north to.
    They've gone down to three folks in a 13 pack now, was four when we first returned after the furlough, but guessing someone complained and they went down to three drivers. Temps are taken first thing and if too high, those folks are sent home. Masks and sanitizing equipment are provided and if we end up going to locations to bring vehicles, we can usually get another mask. I find that after a few hours or after lunch, I like a fresh one.

We’re back to our regular two days (unlimited hours) schedule but because they are staggering start times we are losing up to two hours a day over pre-lay-off. They had a sign up sheet for temporary Sunday shifts but I decided I’m over that clawing for hours thing. Up here in NY raises are given by government fiat so whatever the company would have given us is overshadowed by vote buying. We’re up to $11.80 an hour and will be getting another 70 cents in January. Cost of living is higher up here so there’s no real advantage (regular gas is $2.40).

We usual ride in a 350 Ford Transit with a driver and 3 passengers. Today we had to shift to a Chevy van because the Transit won’t fit into the airport garage. We can get masks, gloves, sanitizers as needed in unlimited quantities. They take our temperatures every morning.

Today the HR folks asked us to take a survey on how we felt about the company. Hilarious that they asked a bunch of 70ish retirees if the company enabled our career goals or allowed us to “fulfill our best best potential both during and after work”. What a bunch of new age baloney.
    Should have penned a 12 page novella about your experience and see if they read it....or, your were fired! ;)
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    edited September 2020

Overnight I heard a radio report about a Tesla in Canada reported speeding. When the Royal Canadian Mounted Police caught up with it, there were two young men sleeping. In fact, the car speeded up when the RCMP came up behind and lite it up.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/tesla-driver-napping-alberta-speeding-1.5727828

I pictured an officer mounted riding his horse as fast as he could to catch the perps.

Wait, the car sped up once the officer tried to pull it over? Now they are programing the cars to evade the police?

edited September 2020

Wait, the car sped up once the officer tried to pull it over? Now they are programing the cars to evade the police?

Not fake news--it's in the article linked:
    "After the responding officer activated emergency lights on their vehicle, the Tesla automatically began to accelerate, Turnbull said, even as those vehicles that were ahead of the Tesla on the highway moved out of the way.

"Nobody appeared to be in the car, but the vehicle sped up because the line was clear in front."

"The responding officer obtained radar readings on the vehicle, confirming that it had automatically accelerated to exactly 150 km/h."

I heard this in the middle of the night on my pillow radio. Like so much of the news, I had to hear it twice to be sure what it said. I still have those nightmares of a RCMP on a horse chasing a Tesla.

Not fake news--it's in the article linked:
    "After the responding officer activated emergency lights on their vehicle, the Tesla automatically began to accelerate, Turnbull said, even as those vehicles that were ahead of the Tesla on the highway moved out of the way.

"Nobody appeared to be in the car, but the vehicle sped up because the line was clear in front."

"The responding officer obtained radar readings on the vehicle, confirming that it had automatically accelerated to exactly 150 km/h."

I heard this in the middle of the night on my pillow radio. Like so much of the news, I had to hear it twice to be sure what it said. I still have those nightmares of a RCMP on a horse chasing a Tesla.

I am not thinking its fake news I just think it's funny that the car sped up when the police car came up behind it.

Now if a dead man can win a horse race then maybe a Monty on a horse can catch a Tesla.

While looking at car stuff, stumbled upon this. You can find the most amazing stuff on YouTube, and this seemed weird but was actually quite good.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5-zfSWVqEU0

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    The Tesla sped up because the cars in front of it moved out of the way and the speed was set to 150 kph. That's how adaptive cruise works.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    And apparently Tesla needs to program emergency vehicle recognition into the car. Though I am sure their position (rightly so) is that the driver is supposed to still be in charge and recognize the lights, and take control.

edited September 2020
    Adventure in moving: makes unloading those things for upstairs so much easier.

That had to be really hard to do.

edited September 2020
    stickguy said:

While looking at car stuff, stumbled upon this. You can find the most amazing stuff on YouTube, and this seemed weird but was actually quite good.

Nicely done, here is one I really like.

https://youtu.be/forqmom3YuY

I’ve really gotten into bluegrass from finding stuff on YouTube.

stickguy said:

And apparently Tesla needs to program emergency vehicle recognition into the car. Though I am sure their position (rightly so) is that the driver is supposed to still be in charge and recognize the lights, and take control.

"I swear officer, it wasn't me who was responsible. It was the self-driver! It just TOOK OFF! Just like those Toyotas a few years ago! Why, I could have been killed!!! I'm the victim here!" :laughing:

And then there's this, in Detroit:

https://www.thedrive.com/news/36499/dodge-stratus-r-t-driver-just-sends-it-off-a-rising-drawbridge-in-detroit

Be careful with those whippits, kids.

ab348 said:

stickguy said:

"I swear officer, it wasn't me who was responsible. It was the self-driver! It just TOOK OFF! Just like those Toyotas a few years ago! Why, I could have been killed!!! I'm the victim here!" :laughing:
    But that toyota/lexus problem was caused by engine sludge, wasn't it? Oh, wait. That was one of their other major problems.

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,499

Back in 1979 when we started looking at houses the prices were going up $1000 a month. . . . At the time inflation was 20% a year for everything else and mortgage rates were in the 10% range.

We had a (small) house built in 1980. When we signed the papers and they started building it the interest rate was ~10%, but when it was finished three months or so later the interest rate we ended up paying was ~15%.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    edited September 2020
    ab348 said:
    Chicago has more drawbridges than any city not named Amsterdam, every few years there is a story about someone getting stuck on a drawbridge that was opening.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200

Back in 1979 when we started looking at houses the prices were going up $1000 a month. . . . At the time inflation was 20% a year for everything else and mortgage rates were in the 10% range.

We had a (small) house built in 1980. When we signed the papers and they started building it the interest rate was ~10%, but when it was finished three months or so later the interest rate we ended up paying was ~15%.

It was crazy then.. Great if you had money for a CD or in a money market fund, though.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

driver100 said:

From the rear...it does look better.........this was his work from the morning;

Any outfit that starts with the rear stays in the rear.

jmonroe

If it’s true that the Tesla sped up when the Mounty approached, I’d say @andres3 had a hand in hacking the auto-pilot.

jmonroe

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,097
    If that's their position, they need to change the "autopilot" name, or be held liable for it on multiple fronts. The cult is book smart and street stupid IMO.
    stickguy said:

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    edited September 2020
    Here's an update on that Safety [non-permissible content removed] from another forum(who also enjoys sanctimonious tut-tutting)...
    I recently posted the picture I took of the M8 speedometer hitting 115 while my son was driving it at Kentucky Speedway(without disclosing where it was taken), and asked him if I should turn my son in to the proper authorities.
    Maybe his head will explode. B)

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

I'd take a 10% mortgage on a house that costs 3x income rather than the local reality of a 2.5-2.8% rate on the same house that might now cost 15x income.

Back in 1979 when we started looking at houses the prices were going up $1000 a month. That might not seem as extreme but this was on houses with $25k prices. At the time inflation was 20% a year for everything else and mortgage rates were in the 10% range.

We kept losing ground to the point where by 1981 we bought land and built our own. Even with sweat equity it cost us $45k fora $30k house. :'(

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    jmonroe1 said:

If it’s true that the Tesla sped up when the Mounty approached, I’d say @andres3 had a hand in hacking the auto-pilot.

jmonroe

Not me. I think auto pilot is a very dangerous feature that shouldn't be allowed in automobiles. The whole theory of a human "taking over" when needed is flawed on a fundamental basis.

Automated driving is accumulating many murders, including a lady pedestrian in AZ last year I think it was (Google Uber Autonomous Driving).

Therefore: Deaths from Autonomous Driving (XXX and rising)/miles driven is > Deaths from @andres3 speeding/miles driven while speeding. And I'll wager huge sums of money that > (greater than) relationship in that equation will always be true for my lifetime.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    fintail said:

If that's their position, they need to change the "autopilot" name, or be held liable for it on multiple fronts. The cult is book smart and street stupid IMO.

stickguy said:

If the charge isn't evading and eluding then it should at least be reckless driving for allowing autopilot to "drive."
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    Reckless and negligent driving combined, at least.

Maybe time for some progressive penalties, too.
    andres3 said:

If the charge isn't evading and eluding then it should at least be reckless driving for allowing autopilot to "drive."

Here's an update on that Safety [non-permissible content removed] from another forum(who also enjoys sanctimonious tut-tutting)...
    I recently posted the picture I took of the M8 speedometer hitting 115 while my son was driving it at Kentucky Speedway(without disclosing it was taken on the track), and asked him if I should turn my son in to the proper authorities.

I have a standard disclaimer that any photos showing my speedometer north of 65 or 70 miles an hour were taken in Mexico.
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676

We bought our first house for $25k in 1979. Two banks in our town failed. The seller had to finance the sale himself, interest rates something like 17%. Looking back it’s a miracle that we didn’t lose our shirts. Turns out the seller did. The way he set up the loan he wound up paying extra. I still don’t understand it. We were so glad to get out of that situation a few years later and buy a larger house when conventional mortgages were normal again.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    edited September 2020
    The safety [non-permissible content removed]'s are now after you SUV lovers. Those SUV's are so deadly, they are too high off the ground and weigh too much, so when pedestrians get mowed down by them, they often die. They want you to mow down pedestrians in a Smart size cars instead, as they have a higher chance of survival :worried: .

It's always strange to me when these safety groups ignore the real problem, drivers so reckless and negligent that they mow down pedestrians in the first place.

Pretty soon they are going to want you to pay for front bumper air bags so you can make your negligent driving like getting hit by pillows for the pedestrian. :smile:

andres3 said:

I recently posted the picture I took of the M8 speedometer hitting 115 while my son was driving it at Kentucky Speedway(without disclosing it was taken on the track), and asked him if I should turn my son in to the proper authorities.

I have a standard disclaimer that any photos showing my speedometer north of 65 or 70 miles an hour were taken in Mexico.
    Just say it was in Kilometers per hour.

Also if you take the picture with a cell phone turn off the location function because even if you post it on line that information can be retrieved.

edited September 2020

Michaell said:

We are not amused.

Our first house was a new build in 1969 it cost just a tick under $22,500 (a split entry with around 1300 sq. ft. with a 2 car garage). The interest rate was 7%. When I finally thought I made enough in the early 80’s to buy a bigger house, interest rates were going through the roof so I decided to stay put and buy a couple CD’s instead. Turned out to be a good decision. I think it was about 1982 or 1983 when I worked with a guy who had cold sweats about a week before his variable rate interest on his home loan would be announced. I’m pretty sure he paid 17% at one point. I’m glad I never fell for that pitch that real estate people were passing out back then. I told Mrs. j when the interest rates dropped to 10% or lower we could go looking for another house. Finally at the end of 1988 I got a 9.25% loan so we bought and closed in January of 1989. By then both of my sons were off at school and we really didn’t need more space at that time but we made a promise to ourselves when the time was right we’d do it. Even then I thought with two kids off to school that didn’t quite seem like the right thing to do but we held to our promise. The CD’s really helped. I wasn’t good, just lucky.

jmonroe

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    The house I live in now cost $75,000 in 1974. One year later the detached brick two car garage cost $5000.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive