Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    Michaell said:

I wouldn't mind the C30, but the fact that he didn't do the timing belt annoys me.

There have been so many cars, I can't keep track. Was there a sticker indicating a recent-ish service on that one?
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,065
    corvette said:

Michaell said:

I wouldn't mind the C30, but the fact that he didn't do the timing belt annoys me.

There have been so many cars, I can't keep track. Was there a sticker indicating a recent-ish service on that one?
    I can't remember, but a lot of comments on the ad noted that.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    edited September 2020
    stickguy said:

Hoovie has a lot nicer stuff. Compared to him, JR is running a BHPH lot in a bad neighborhood.

Yeah, but if you buy something off Hoovie and it breaks down (likely), you have to pay Johnny or Wizard to fix it. JR will probably fix it for free in your driveway.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,085
    Pictures of the 2021 Elantra:

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

xwesx said:

stickguy said:

Oh, I’m sure I would hate it. But it’s so cheap, and probably the perfect spare car.

Did I mention cheap?

That has proven to not be a good enough reason on past deals. Oh, you end up getting them, but then it is just pick, pick, pick....
    Well, it is like a long-running TV series that eventually starts to recycle the same script ideas from the early seasons to keep the franchise alive once the writers have run out of gas. Lather, rinse, repeat. At least it gives us something to watch read... :D

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    ab348 said:

xwesx said:

stickguy said:

Oh, I’m sure I would hate it. But it’s so cheap, and probably the perfect spare car.

Did I mention cheap?

That has proven to not be a good enough reason on past deals. Oh, you end up getting them, but then it is just pick, pick, pick....
    Well, it is like a long-running TV series that eventually starts to recycle the same script ideas from the early seasons to keep the franchise alive once the writers have run out of gas. Lather, rinse, repeat. At least it gives us something to watch read... :D
    Are you saying this series has "jumped the shark"? :D

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

More like the famous line "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it". :cry:

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,518
    edited September 2020
    Would have to see that Elantra in person to decide. But an N line manual could be interesting!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

I’d be real interested in this.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oAtsuQnihw8

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    And stupid! How do you crash a car in an empty parking lot? By being stupid.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    kyfdx said:

ab348 said:

xwesx said:

stickguy said:

Did I mention cheap?

Bonus trivia question - which series introduced us to this term?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    I can't remember, but I do remember it was a very neat website which was bought out by TV Guide (I think) and now no longer exists. Television Without Pity was also a great website for summaries, but is now defunct.
    Michaell said:

kyfdx said:

ab348 said:

xwesx said:

stickguy said:

Did I mention cheap?

Since I brought it up, I'll sit this one out.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion

I'd wager a healthy combination of BOTH stupidity and incompetence behind the steering wheel.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    andres3 said:
    Only if you really want it... and, you won't get it for $7K anyway.

I sold an identical model (except for color) with just 36K miles in 2013... and got $5K for it.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,388
    edited September 2020
    I'd buy it for $7k and daily drive it. Throw an updated headunit in with bluetooth and you're off to the races. Thing will last forever.

EDIT: Agree with @kyfdx as well - you won't get it for $7k anyway.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
    Happy days. The Fonz water skiing.

Legend would be going for double if it was a manual!

ab348 said:

Hyundai has a knack for making the sides of their cars look interesting. I hope the interiors are nicer than the 2020s.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

The sport was way nicer than what you likely had as a base rental spec

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,143
    Holy DLO fail, entire fake rear quarter window there, might even beat the 2012 Camry.
    ab348 said:

andres3 said:
    Yes but if sanity was a requirement, this board would be empty.

• mb_enthusiastmb_enthusiast Member Posts: 232
    So...my 2017 Porsche Cayenne S is due for service today. According to the maintenance booklet (and on-board computer), she is only due for an engine oil and oil filter change. Since she is at 28k miles, I could conceivably do the spark plugs. But, according to the booklet, that isn't due until 30k miles and four years of service. She is going to be at three years of service on October 30th. I have an appointment at the Porsche Exchange in Highland Park, Illinois this afternoon for this and to resolve an issue that they caused months ago with the fuel pumps (they broke the clips on the rear bench seat in the process of replacing them).

I called ahead and was quoted $825 by the Exchange. I then called Napleton Porsche Westmont (Westmont, IL) and Loeber Porsche (Lincolnwood, IL), which quoted me $1,400 and $495, respectively. The Exchange specifically stated that it wasn't a major service and therefore was "only" $825. Napleton told me that their $1,400 included oil and spark plugs. Aren't these people trying to rip me off before I even step foot in the dealership? :'(
    My stable: 2019 Audi Q8, 2015 Mercedes-Benz GL63 AMG, and 2005 Mercedes-Benz E500W4Found new homes: 2017 Porsche Cayenne S, 2011 Mercedes-Benz R350 BlueTEC, and 2004 Volkswagen Phaeton V8Illinois real estate broker and commercial property manager
    stickguy said:

Happy days. The Fonz water skiing.

Ding ding ding.

I saw an article recently about Henry Winkler watching the show with his grandkids, having to explain to them his character.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,195
    mjfloyd1 said:

qbrozen said:

stickguy said:

heck, if it was dark blue and had a stick, I would take it!

Stop trying to steal my wife’s cars!
    Alright, here you go. Gets 50% of what you asked for. ;b
    https://sutherlinnissanmallofga.com/vehicle-details/used-2008-bmw-3-series-convertible-328i-WBAWL13518PX20390
    Why would a dealer drop the price $1700 in this market. Red flag.
    I don’t think that they dropped the price. They just got it and want someone to think that they are getting a great deal by slashing through higher prices
    This! Dealers around here are notorious for that.
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,792
    ab348 said:

That's a whole lot of 'yuck.' Hyundai cannot seem to rid themselves of the instinct for ugly, even though they curtailed it for a number of years.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    edited September 2020

I called ahead and was quoted $825 by the Exchange. I then called Napleton Porsche Westmont (Westmont, IL) and Loeber Porsche (Lincolnwood, IL), which quoted me $1,400 and $495, respectively. The Exchange specifically stated that it wasn't a major service and therefore was "only" $825. Napleton told me that their $1,400 included oil and spark plugs. Aren't these people trying to rip me off before I even step foot in the dealership? :'(

Well, at least they detailed what the service includes! Just a la carte it and do what you're comfortable with them doing (and the amount you're spending).

Hopefully they don't keep it for a month only to decide that it doesn't need any service/repair after all! That's what happened with my Q7 this past month. /sigh

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,381
    Michaell said:

kyfdx said:

ab348 said:

xwesx said:

stickguy said:

Did I mention cheap?

Happy Days. Fonzie actually jumps sharks.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

Great news about your dad, @mb_enthusiast. Prayers for his continued recovery.

In other news I posted my i3 on leasehackr. Got tons of interest via private message. But I can’t bring myself to get rid of it. I like it too much.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,143
    I have a friend with a 14 E550 who recently had the same issue, even provided a pic of a wiring connector with oil coming out of it. Fortunately he was still under CPO warranty. Crazy, faults nobody would ever think of.

My 2015 GL63 AMG misfired while getting groceries and my indie found oil in the engine wiring harness. Has been gone for two and a half weeks. I'm picking it up this afternoon after Zurich shelled out over $4k for the repair. That VSC has nearly paid for itself with this one incident.

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,604

My 2015 GL63 AMG misfired while getting groceries and my indie found oil in the engine wiring harness. Has been gone for two and a half weeks.

Shaking my head doesn't even begin to cover this.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

The Acura Legend has July 2020 registration CA plates.

Anyone here such a CCBA they are a DMV expert? I have a feeling late fees, penalties, and more will be inflicted painfully upon a buyer who lives in California too. Or am I over-worried?
    How exactly does oil get in the wiring harness?

Andre, can’t see how that matters. A problem for the current owner. If you buy it, need to register new anyway.

• mb_enthusiastmb_enthusiast Member Posts: 232
    stickguy said:

Andre, can’t see how that matters. A problem for the current owner. If you buy it, need to register new anyway.

I don't understand it either. I've only heard of it on Mercedes-Benz engines and trucks (perhaps Mercedes too). :s
    My stable: 2019 Audi Q8, 2015 Mercedes-Benz GL63 AMG, and 2005 Mercedes-Benz E500W4Found new homes: 2017 Porsche Cayenne S, 2011 Mercedes-Benz R350 BlueTEC, and 2004 Volkswagen Phaeton V8Illinois real estate broker and commercial property manager
  • mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,271

That’s the problem. He thought it was an empty parking lot and didn’t notice the light poles with concrete bases because of all the tire smoke!
    edited September 2020

stickguy said:

I don't understand it either. I've only heard of it on Mercedes-Benz engines and trucks (perhaps Mercedes too). :s
    In CA I'm used to getting the remainder of the 12-mo period for a negligible $15 "transfer" fee or something. The DMV does not reimburse or give refunds on registration costs, for example, my A4 had until January when I recently sold it to Vroom. I won't see a penny.

However..... when Keystone Audi sold me the A4, they said I'd be getting a "NEW" registration. However, I bought in July, and in January, the DMV wanted the full boat of another year's registration. Thankfully, Keystone Audi refunded me nearly half of my prepaid DMV fees from the CPO purchase. I say "nearly" half because I'm suspicious some of my fees went to Late/Overdue/penalty fees and expenses.
    mjfloyd1 said:

That’s the problem. He thought it was an empty parking lot and didn’t notice the light poles with concrete bases because of all the tire smoke!
    Reminds me of my high school parking lot when snow covered. A whole lot of damage done there.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    Hopefully they don't keep it for a month only to decide that it doesn't need any service/repair after all! That's what happened with my Q7 this past month. /sigh

You've got to be kidding! I would be less than happy.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

Anyone know if the legendary Acura Legend's used 91 or 87 octane? Might go 7050.
    andres3 said:

Anyone know if the legendary Acura Legend's used 91 or 87 octane? Might go 7050.

Premium

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Even if it didn't, I'd put premium in.
  • greg128greg128 Member Posts: 529
    edited September 2020

ab348 said:

Hyundai has a knack for making the sides of their cars look interesting. I hope the interiors are nicer than the 2020s.
    Very unattractive...I could never own a car that looked like that
    kyfdx said:

andres3 said:

Premium
    Dang it. you guys were right $7,099 is not enough.
  • mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,271
    greg128 said:

ab348 said:

I could never own a car that looked like that
    That is a bizarre look with an arrow on the door. That would be a body shop nightmare but smart for Hyundai since they would just replace panels. Such an ugly design
  • breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    andres3 said:

kyfdx said:

andres3 said:

Premium
    C'mon - go for it! Just a few hundred more...

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

mjfloyd1 said:

greg128 said:

ab348 said:

I could never own a car that looked like that
    That is a bizarre look with an arrow on the door. That would be a body shop nightmare but smart for Hyundai since they would just replace panels. Such an ugly design
    The bigger problem is that given the model they will sell a lot of strippo models, so your eyes will be assaulted by this design everywhere.

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    edited September 2020
    breld said:

andres3 said:

kyfdx said:

andres3 said:

Premium
    C'mon - go for it! Just a few hundred more...
    Okay - maybe a bit more than a few hundred.

Wouldn't surprise me if it gets to $10-12k. It's not that it's necessarily worth that, but that's a palatable amount of money to spend on a car like that Legend with so few miles.

EDIT: Okay, $9,000.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

The price of owning a Legend.... :D