Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,382
    edited September 2020
    This discussion of housing costs makes me want to cry.

I love our house, but I cringe every time I think about what we paid.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,486
    Cringe less if your sure the next guy pays more.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,293
    Closed on our first house in Oct '84. 15 year mortgage was 14%. Refinanced the next 3 years in a row, 11 1/2%, 9 5/8%, then 7% Not sure why I remember those numbers so well.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,527
    7.625- 25 yr for a one-close construction loan in 1998 (not the first house).

Refinanced at least four different times (maybe more). Last time was 7 years ago to a 3.00% -10 yr mortgage.

Paid it off early in January.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,896
    Bought our first house in 2000 for $160K. Original mortgage was just over 8%.

Kept dropping, and dropping, and dropping -- I think we finally ended up around 4-5% when we sold it 15 years later.

Current mortgage is at 4.75%, but can't refinance at the moment as the wife doesn't have any verifiable income. Hopefully with her new job, we can address that in a few months.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

edited September 2020
    kyfdx said:

7.625- 25 yr for a one-close construction loan in 1998 (not the first house).

Refinanced at least four different times (maybe more). Last time was 7 years ago to a 3.00% -10 yr mortgage.

Paid it off early in January.

That’s our plan for the refi moving at a snails pace. Same balance, but lock in cheaper at 10 years, and look to pay off in 5 to 7, max.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,293
    I like watching the LockPickingLawyer' videos.
    This one is only 2 minutes but pretty funny. :D
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lod_LUp3ggc
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,071
    In 1980 I was working my first job for a smallish dental equipment and consumables supplier. We had about 10000 inventory items and had no good way to keep track of them so made the big decision to buy an IBM System/34 computer system to do the job. IIRC the original things we got from IBM were in the range of $100K. I don't recall if we leased it or bought it.

By mid-1980 we needed the system expanded, and ordered about $60K worth of upgrades. IBM warned us that lead times were months out, but we placed the order and arranged for financing from the same group we used initially. Finally in late '80 or early '81 IBM told us the items were ready for shipment and it fell to me to contact the finance outfit to tell them we would need the pre-approved financing in a week or two. They guy told me that it had been such a long time that the rate had changed - I can't recall it exactly but remember it was in the vicinity of 20%. The boss went nuts. I don't recall if he found another source or if he ended up biting the bullet, but we got the gear.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

Michaell said:

Bought our first house in 2000 for $160K. Original mortgage was just over 8%.

Kept dropping, and dropping, and dropping -- I think we finally ended up around 4-5% when we sold it 15 years later.

Current mortgage is at 4.75%, but can't refinance at the moment as the wife doesn't have any verifiable income. Hopefully with her new job, we can address that in a few months.

I bought my house in '97 for $112,000. Mortgage initially was somewhere around 5% IIRC (the papers are here somewhere). Renewed it a few times over the years and still had a chunk owing in 2008 when rates started to plummet. I was luckily on a variable rate mortgage at the time and kept getting notices in the mail every couple of months that the rate had dropped. IIRC the lowest it got down to was 0.8%. Sure helped in getting the principal whittled down.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,131
    My grandparents bought new house in the early 60s for something like 18K. Rates were around 5.5% then, I think. Since then, wages might be 10x higher, but housing might be 30-40x higher (and grandma's house isn't even in a really hot trendy area - such places locally can see 100x appreciation over that timespan), sounds legit.

I know one of my childhood homes sold for ~80K in 1991, and recently sold again for ~260K - small town removed from the Puget Sound insanity. However, during that time, the owners put a fortune into the place and it definitely looks nicer than when we lived there,
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,635
    fintail said:

I'd take a 10% mortgage on a house that costs 3x income rather than the local reality of a 2.5-2.8% rate on the same house that might now cost 15x income.

Back in 1979 when we started looking at houses the prices were going up $1000 a month. That might not seem as extreme but this was on houses with $25k prices. At the time inflation was 20% a year for everything else and mortgage rates were in the 10% range.

We kept losing ground to the point where by 1981 we bought land and built our own. Even with sweat equity it cost us $45k fora $30k house. :'(

The trouble was that no bank would lend money out at 10% when inflation was twice that. The one thing that convinced me to build without a mortgage was when I went to the bank and was told they weren’t even talking to people about mortgages let alone taking applications.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

I like watching the LockPickingLawyer' videos.
    This one is only 2 minutes but pretty funny. :D
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lod_LUp3ggc

That’s exactly how I thought I would solve that lock problem.🤩

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

went out for fancy anniversary dinner tonight at the upscale local steakhouse. Best steak I ever had. Bill hurt, but it is a once a year splurge!

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975
    fintail said:

Reckless and negligent driving combined, at least.

Maybe time for some progressive penalties, too.

andres3 said:

If the charge isn't evading and eluding then it should at least be reckless driving for allowing autopilot to "drive."

The driver of the Tesla will pay a heavy price. btw...I don't know if mentioned but 150 kph is about 95 mph.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

Good news Fin. Congratulations! Make sure to get a place where you can park 2 cars when you look for a rental.

Thanks. Already thought of that, going over next week to look at places in person. I have 2 or 3 where I should be able to get an on-site garage for both cars - it's a dealbreaker. I hope to make a decision next week.

Next task will be getting a set of dedicated snow wheels and tires for the modern car.

stickguy said:

Good news Fin. Congratulations! Make sure to get a place where you can park 2 cars when you look for a rental.

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    fintail said:

Can't recall if I congratulated you on your good fortune, but if not, here I am :) Congrats!

Guess I should share my news too, as I was in the same boat as a few others. I recently accepted a verbal offer, am now waiting for the paperwork to be completed. Pay is roughly the same as my prior position, better benefits, and the difference - it's in Spokane - so lower cost of living and less traffic (and I like the weather, and have family in the area, so I won't be too isolated). They are giving me time to get things together, I am hoping to be moved by the end of October, to beat any accumulating snow. I'm cautiously optimistic about this one, I plan to rent for maybe the first year, and all goes well, I'll look into buying something and getting my little Garage Mahal set up.

Since life changes seem to be the name of the game for September, I figure I'll share that I am changing jobs (and companies) as well. Was presented with an opportunity to pivot out of my current field into a related area that has a lot more opportunity long-term and makes me a much more marketable candidate.

I start in my new role in October. I'm probably insane for doing this during a pandemic, but this is truly a once-in-a-career type of chance for someone with my background.

Sounds great, fintail. I like Spokane because it's more laid back than Seattle or Tacoma. Good luck finding a place.

2021 Genesis G90

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,382
    Big congrats fin! I’m sure you won’t miss Seattle at all!
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
    Congrats, Fin. Hope it all works out as you hope. I suppose you would need to have the elderly car flatbedded out there?

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,721
    Congrats, Fin. Hope you and your German children live happily ever after!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,341

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Thanks all.

I like many aspects of where I live now, but I moved here for work, and once that ended, I didn't have anything formal keeping me here. I'll miss seeing some friends as often, my beer league hockey team (which ended early and hasn't met in 6 months anyway), but I won't miss the traffic and rat race aspects of the era. I'll be further from some family, closer to some others, but it is only an hour flight and I have a lot of air miles, if I don't want the 4 hour drive.

The car moving strategy is undecided. Storage rent is paid up through January, but I'd like to move it sooner than later as the weather can be risky by November. An old co-worker already volunteered her boyfriend's flatbed trailer (he hauls an excavator with it) and Dodge Cummins truck to help, but it might be a fun adventure to drive the car myself, take highway 2 and have a scenic drive with light traffic and no speed limits over 60. Almost ~275 mile drive including a mountain pass in an unrestored nearly 60 year old car, could be fun. I'd ask my indy mechanic (someone else I will miss) to give it a look over before I go.

There's a local TV advertising lawyer who has motorcycle themed ads similar to that Texas Law Hawk spoof, but I don't think the local guy is joking - TV lawyers take themselves seriously.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    @fintail ...big congrats on the new gig! Sounds like a good move all the way around.

@roadburner ....we now have seen your marketing plan for when your time on the bench is over....LOL!

Speaking of “good deals”, found a very nice hotel in Chicago (trendy boutique place that has high ratings) that’s about ⅓ the cost they usually charge. So, getting ready to leave for a nice, crisp weekend of museums, good food and good drink. That is, if the GF ever gets up and showers and does all those “girly” things they do before setting foot outside the house.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975
    Great news Fin.....being a member here certainly has its privileges, we urge you on to better and greater things :p

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

fintail said:

Can't recall if I congratulated you on your good fortune, but if not, here I am :) Congrats!

Guess I should share my news too, as I was in the same boat as a few others. I recently accepted a verbal offer, am now waiting for the paperwork to be completed. Pay is roughly the same as my prior position, better benefits, and the difference - it's in Spokane - so lower cost of living and less traffic (and I like the weather, and have family in the area, so I won't be too isolated). They are giving me time to get things together, I am hoping to be moved by the end of October, to beat any accumulating snow. I'm cautiously optimistic about this one, I plan to rent for maybe the first year, and all goes well, I'll look into buying something and getting my little Garage Mahal set up.

Since life changes seem to be the name of the game for September, I figure I'll share that I am changing jobs (and companies) as well. Was presented with an opportunity to pivot out of my current field into a related area that has a lot more opportunity long-term and makes me a much more marketable candidate.

I start in my new role in October. I'm probably insane for doing this during a pandemic, but this is truly a once-in-a-career type of chance for someone with my background.

That’s great news. Will the traffic in Spokane be better?

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,895
    Congrats Fin! I know first hand how you feel. I’ve been to Spokane many years ago, nice area.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,923

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    Internet pricing seems to have killed off the outrageous car dealer TV commercials here. But TV lawyer commercials remain and one guy in particular tries harder to build riches from other people's misfortunes.

"I don't get paid unless YOU get paid!" (airbag inflates with Columbus lawyer name/phone number.)

His commercials always start with a quick paced tragedy (car accidents, work place accidents, cars in the workplace accidents) and rely on the imagery of a junkyard dog lawyer which have spawned some imitators on youtube. The video I watched suggested a "What If?" theme:
    What if he were a....Family Counselor? "I don't get paid unless you get your way!"
    What if he were a....Matchmaker? "I don't get paid unless you get _______!"

I kinda miss the old days with Fred Ricart playing his guitar and boasting about his Used Car Factory! He actually had some legal issues arise from some consumer protection group which blasted Fred for lying to consumers in those commercials. They accused him of misrepresenting his used cars as being built at a factory, thus inferring that they were "new" cars instead of "used." That despite the words USED car factory stamped all over his commercials! Maybe Fred needed a junkyard dog personal injury attorney?
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,146
    "I don't get paid unless YOU get paid!"

That sounds familiar from a local attorney ad.

I recall one guy who has a single digit for his group's phone number, let's say "9."
    So he has 859-999-9999, 513-999-9999, 812-999-9999 so that each of the area
    codes within his advertising area are covered: all someone has to do is "dial '9'."

LOL

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,527

I recall one guy who has a single digit for his group's phone number, let's say "9."
    So he has 859-999-9999, 513-999-9999, 812-999-9999 so that each of the area
    codes within his advertising area are covered: all someone has to do is "dial '9'."

LOL

Yeah, his commercials are particularly obnoxious

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

tjc78 said:

stickguy said:

driver100 said:

Now that we solved the phone problem can we get back to real estate?

well, I finally got an update from the bank doing my mortgage refi (at a snails pace). Sent me the appraisal (done 8/26 I think) to review and sign off on reading. So I got that done. Hopefully that is the last thing before they finally approve it and look to schedule closing. I think the rate lock goes to 10/8 or 10/9, so might be tight with how backed up they are.
    It's slow as our Realtor just advised us. Ours is moving along well. I just sent them a billion documents they asked for.

Our house goes on the market Saturday.

I am so tired. Since Friday night we have done the following:

Fill a 20 yard dumpster with furniture and other things we weren't bringing to the new house
    Touch up all the cinderblock walls in the basement
    Pack everything we are taking that's in the basement
    Thin down and pack extra stuff that was in our closets
    Take down all the personal pictures
    Painted the shutters outside
    Painted three doors and all the trim in our bedroom
    Planted mums and re-mulched the front planting bed
    Numerous other little things

We had the basement and all the windows cleaned today, and the crew is deep cleaning the whole place tomorrow. Pictures on Friday.

We escaped to the shore since we are both WFH and the kids are remote Thurs and Fri

What a week!
    Nice looking house. Was worth the effort you put in. Should sell quick at that price. If you want to get rid of the beer signs too, let me know!

I like your kitchen style. That is the color combo we would go with next time.

Reminds me of this, one of my favorites:

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,721
    PSA: First night below 50 degrees in a long time, all four tires down 5-9 psi. TPM lit up for left front, that was down 9. Rectified.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,895
    edited September 2020
    stickguy said:

tjc78 said:

stickguy said:

driver100 said:

well, I finally got an update from the bank doing my mortgage refi (at a snails pace). Sent me the appraisal (done 8/26 I think) to review and sign off on reading. So I got that done. Hopefully that is the last thing before they finally approve it and look to schedule closing. I think the rate lock goes to 10/8 or 10/9, so might be tight with how backed up they are.
    It's slow as our Realtor just advised us. Ours is moving along well. I just sent them a billion documents they asked for.

Fill a 20 yard dumpster with furniture and other things we weren't bringing to the new house

We had the basement and all the windows cleaned today, and the crew is deep cleaning the whole place tomorrow. Pictures on Friday.

We escaped to the shore since we are both WFH and the kids are remote Thurs and Fri

What a week!
    Nice looking house. Was worth the effort you put in. Should sell quick at that price. If you want to get rid of the beer signs too, let me know!

Thank you!! The photographer is a genius, I can tell you that!

Within 15 minutes of the listing we already have two showings.

Good thing we are down the shore and my mom can just hop over to her sisters. I told her to come this weekend but she didn't want to.

Hard to believe we did that kitchen almost 11 years ago now. Thankfully it still looks modern (at least to me!) If the wife doesn't want the signs for the new home I'll PM you.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

qbrozen said:
    Wilson is a real attorney. He has several ads. This one in particular is a hoot:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HL3MxAH-kDI

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

tjc78 said:

stickguy said:

tjc78 said:

stickguy said:

driver100 said:

What a week!

Thank you!! The photographer is a genius, I can tell you that!

Within 15 minutes of the listing we already have two showings.

Good thing we are down the shore and my mom can just hop over to her sisters. I told her to come this weekend but she didn't want to.

Hard to believe we did that kitchen almost 11 years ago now. Thankfully it still looks modern (at least to me!) If the wife doesn't want the signs for the new home I'll PM you.
    I'm looking for the pictures in question but am not seeing any?

In case you don't follow CCBA...

Good News: My BMW dealer just traded for an M2; low miles, one owner, FSH, decent price.

Bad News: It's black on black.

My wife, bless her heart, reminded me that both the M8 GTE and M4 DTM have black racing liveries, and suggested I look at some BMW Motorsport graphics:

BMW does sell an M Performance stripe kit:

I could also go with the Laptime-Performance stripe kit- a tribute to the 2002 Turbo:

I may have to think about this...

edited September 2020
    North-south directional travel in the city can be a little inefficient, but I90 is usually moving fine, and I've heard a saying to the effect of "rush hour" there is that, an hour, and a rush - not a 3-5 hour gridlock exercise like it is around Seattle.

Now to decide on if I want to live near work (office, once things are a little more normal, is in a somewhat outlying district) or live in the city and have a slightly longer commute. Rents, as expected, are amusing - I can get more than twice my current square footage for less money, or something the size of my current place for around half.

That’s great news. Will the traffic in Spokane be better?

Just got a call from my twin brother - he wants me to drive up to his place in Ponte Vedra to celebrate our 76th birthday 🥳 🎁🎉🎂 together. Usually, it's a no-brainer for me when I had the S450, but that's a 5-hour trip for me in the E450 which is not as comfortable a ride.

Driving the E450 for an hour or two is fine, but that sport option stiffens the ride so much that it can get a bit uncomfortable in the long run. I guess I will drive up on October 9th but will stop for lunch on the way up to take a break for 30-40 minutes. We are getting up there in age and we should savor the time we have left together.🤓

2021 Genesis G90

I am glad my wagon has the "luxury" trim with "comfort" suspension - it is softer than sport, like gliding on a cloud on a decent road. I bet the air suspension option is amazing with this suspension tuning as a basis. 2 of my W212s were "sport", and they could be harsh on a rough road, especially with the runflats.
    abacomike said:

Just got a call from my twin brother - he wants me to drive up to his place in Ponte Vedra to celebrate our 76th birthday 🥳 🎁🎉🎂 together. Usually, it's a no-brainer for me when I had the S450, but that's a 5-hour trip for me in the E450 which is not as comfortable a ride.

Driving the E450 for an hour or two is fine, but that sport option stiffens the ride so much that it can get a bit uncomfortable in the long run. I guess I will drive up on October 9th but will stop for lunch on the way up to take a break for 30-40 minutes. We are getting up there in age and we should savor the time we have left together.🤓

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,961
    edited September 2020
    I thought your E450 had multiple comfort/sport settings that adjust the suspension firmness. Happy 76 and many more!

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

sda said:

I thought your E450 had multiple comfort/sport settings that adjust the suspension firmness. Happy 76 and many more!

Thanks, sda. It does have 4 settings:

Economy
    Comfort
    Sport
    Sport +1

I keep it in Comfort around town and Economy on the highway. Economy is Comfort with faster gear shifts. But even in Comfort or Economy, it is still stiffer than I like it - because it is built on a lowered suspension (called AMG suspension) compared to the E350.

I really like the handling and cornering of the E450 4MATIC - it's very responsive to driver input. But to acquire that handling, they had to stiffen the suspension.

2021 Genesis G90

The world is forever changing and as one gets older it becomes more and more difficult to understand.

No, I am not talking about politics or social/moral issues, I am talking about lawn turf. :smile: Two specific instances literally popped up recently that have me a bit baffled.

My new front lawn is looking very good 2-3 months after being done over with sods which I believe are mainly bluegrass. A few weeks after they went in I noticed a few different-looking sprouts popping up, most of them on the edges of walkways and the like. They looked like they could have been a different species of grass - clumps of blades that spread out horizontally but with a thick, somewhat tough center stem with a grasslike blade/seed head on top. Each of them spread enough over the walkway that they became unsightly so I pulled them out (quite easily) and they have not returned. I am unsure if they were some kind of rogue grass species or just a weed. Odd that they only came in on the edges which makes me think they were some sort of seed that was in the topsoil the crew put down. Just a curiosity.

On the strip between the sidewalk and the street I had spread some dirt back in the spring and spread some Scott's "Tough" grass seed mix, which I understand is mostly some sort of new hardy fescue variety. What came in first looked like no fescue I ever saw with a short, wide blade of very bright green grass that never grew more than 3" long or so. But more recently a new entrant has appeared. It is extremely fine, almost hair-like, very reddish in color, maybe 6"-8" tall, and will lie almost flat if you step on it or run a lawnmower wheel over it. Weird.

sounded like crabgrass to me.

I don't care what's growing in my lawn as long as it's relatively green and doesn't require mowing more often than every 10 days...

stickguy said:

sounded like crabgrass to me.

We apparently don't get crabgrass up here, can't survive the winters apparently. But who knows.

On the horticultural topic, if anyone is watching the US Open from Winged Foot, TV occasionally shows shots of the lovely old clubhouse which has beautiful landscaping around it. You also see it in the background for shots off #10 tee. There are a few plants there with absolutely giant leaves, maybe 2'-3' in diameter. Looks like something from Jurassic Park or the jungle. Anyone have an idea of what they might be?