Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    ab348 said:

driver100 said:

Another thing is I talked to a guy I knew in high school. When he was young he moved to California and became a broker. I said you must know a lot about how to invest. He said yeh, I handle millionaires money and I go to work on a bus! Makes you think :(

My niece's husband is a financial advisor or portfolio manager for one of those wealth management outfits. So he isn't a broker necessarily but has well-to-do clients whose portfolio he manages. I don't know what they charge, but trust me, he doesn't go to work on any bus.
    Many years ago (decades?) I ran into someone I knew from high school who was a broker in the pits of the Chicago Board of Trade. He made pretty good money but took the bus (actually the subway) into work. He stated that taking public transportation was just as fast and saved him a few hundred a month just on parking alone.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,162
    driver100 said:

The thing I would ask myself is....if the average index can outperform the so called experts, then how well can amateurs do?

Some can actually do much better as long as they recognize they play a different game, even though they're occupying same field. There are multiple reasons why many professionally run funds lag indexes, mostly having to do with improperly applied time perspective. For example they have to take phone calls from clients every day and answer idiotic questions like "what did you do last week to outperform the index? They often are not allowed for their investment thesis to play out due to extended time frame. Imagine you run a fund and you invested in a "noname" company that has a potential to make 10x in three years, but it just happened it dropped 30 percent in two months. You will be fired. Peter Lynch once said "nobody got fired for buying IBM stock" (not true today, but it was true back then), which basically means if you underperform, but everybody understands why you bought your stuff, then they'll likely let you carry on. This set of limitations will make majority of the fund managers "closet indexers", essentially buying "around" the index with just a few tweaks here and there (underweight this by by percentage point, overweight that by one, etc.). No swings whatsoever. In that case ye returns will likely be very close to index returns, but there are management fees (for mutual funds charged every day in 1/365 increments). This will make the fund trail the index. Probably by not much, but enough to be noticeable. The situation is even worse in hedge funds that have such high fees that even if you make well over market index, your client may still lag (but who cares, after all you've made your money and that's all that counts).

Individual investors are free from all of these limitations. However, they're not free from having to do real homework on the companies they want to invest in or are already invested, understanding their business, product, financial statements (being able to read income statements and balance sheets, taking time to do so and draw their own conclusions about the business). Show me people who actually do that. Watching CNBC shows with people peddling ideas (and mostly their own image) and telling you should buy this or sell that could count as a small portion of such homework, but many stop there. Then we have now a new "Robinhood investors", who can't tell the difference between stocks and bond and think market is an iphone game where Tesla always goes up and buying shares of Hertz after it declared bankruptcy will somehow make you rich.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964
    Once I read that 1/3 of your stocks will probably go up, 1/3 will stay the same, 1/3 will go down....you have to hope that the 1/3 that go up go up more than the 1/3 that went down.

I have a friend who makes money....his retirement income from buying and selling stocks. One day he lost $20000 and was a bit down....I would have been depressed, but he gets it, the day before he made $30000 so he just accepts that is the way it is. I couldn't do that. He gets up at 4 a.m. to study the overseas markets and is on his phone buying and selling a few times a day.....I'd rather play tennis or pickleball.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• ventureventure Member Posts: 2,860

That Halts is in with fertilizer. I bought the 10-pound bag of pure Halts.

Now it's marketed as Weedex

That pre emergent herbicide works by forming a vapor barrier at the soil line so that any germinating seed gets killed as it tries to grow through it. Since Crabgrass germinates later than lawn grass you can let one grow while the other gets nailed. IIRC Crabgrass germinates when soil temps reach above 50 degrees. That’s why you put it on in the Spring.
    Exactly. That's why I over seed early in the Fall to get a good growth before winter and use a pre-emergent in the spring - although I try to time it so any grass that decides to wait and germinate in the Spring makes it. That's why I mentioned the forsythia/lilacs thing previously.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    driver100 said:

He said yeh, I handle millionaires money and I go to work on a bus! Makes you think :(

Makes me think he might be smart to not own a car in CA.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    qbrozen said:

qbrozen said:

Anybody want to talk about investing? I’ve never really done it before. I just signed up for some interesting crowd-funding-type sites and put money in each. One is lending folks money outright for whatever they need. Another is commercial real estate projects. The third is small business bonds.

Not familiar with that concept. Is it like a small scale venture capitalism deal?
    Pretty much. Group lending with a bunch of strangers. Lol. I’m just testing the waters. I chose places based on articles from well-known investing advice sites. And I’m putting a little in to see how it goes. I’ve lost more in the stock market than I’m risking on this, so it can’t be worse.
    As long as you can afford the loss it’s better than going to the race track.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

“ That's why I mentioned the forsythia/lilacs thing previously.”

There’s some wisdom to using nature’s clock to schedule things. I’m sure you’ve heard the rule to plant corn when oak tree leaves are as big as a squirrel’s ear.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

I did win all 3 of my football bets on Sunday. That could be a retirement plan. lol.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

qbrozen said:

I did win all 3 of my football bets on Sunday. That could be a retirement plan. lol.

If you really want to gamble you could buy-fix-flip hoopties like all those YouTube guys.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,027
    qbrozen said:

Probably beats buying Powerball or lottery tickets.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435

qbrozen said:

If you really want to gamble you could buy-fix-flip hoopties like all those YouTube guys.
    it helps having a junkyard as a sponsor to send you crates of free parts.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,252
    Move next door to Hoovie. That could be a good start.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    I wonder at this point, how much business the car wizard has to turn away from people wanting to use him based on the videos? I certainly would!

I heard on the radio this morning there could be a shortage of paper towels. On my way to tennis this morning I had to go to the Dollar store to buy a 2021 calendar, so I checked out the paper towels. Only a few rolls left so I bought 2 large rolls....probably should have bought more but I don't want to create the problem, and we still have about 8 rolls left from the ones we got at Costco.
    Maybe that would be a good investment, stock up on paper towels.
    We still have about 8 packages of T-paper around....just in case :)

• dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,162
    driver100 said:

I heard on the radio this morning there could be a shortage of paper towels. On my way to tennis this morning I had to go to the Dollar store to buy a 2021 calendar, so I checked out the paper towels. Only a few rolls left so I bought 2 large rolls....probably should have bought more but I don't want to create the problem, and we still have about 8 rolls left from the ones we got at Costco.

Not again.... Covid prevention kit: Toilet paper, towels, Velvetta, Ramen Soup and bottled water. LOL

On a different note, I heard a great explanation why TP and towels always go first. They are bulky items, so you see very quickly when the shelf gets empty. Others see it, think they must have it, too. Then the shelves go empty, but the replenishment is not scheduled for days and when it comes it's small amounts, as these manufacturers have logistics set up for normal times, when they know almost exactly how much they'll sell months in advance. Suddenly Drivers of this world start hoarding worrying...

2018 430i Gran Coupe

Driver doesn't hoard because he believes there is a shortage, Driver hoards because it is disappearing from the shelves and if he doesn't buy some now he won't be able to get it when he needs it.
    It is probably out of stock in most stores by now....so driver may have to buy cheap napkins in extra large quantities. Paper towels are not as big a necessity as T-paper. ;)

driver100 said:

The biggest shortage I’ve seen is in cleaning products. When I go looking for kitchen cleaner all I find are empty shelves. Ditto for all kinds of bleaches and disinfectants. I think people are spraying every surface in an attempt to ward off viruses....or demons, maybe. I think it’s overkill based on panic and while it may reduce the chance of catching a virus by a tiny amount, I can’t help but wonder what sort of super bacteria are evolving on these surfaces. After this is all over I think you’re going to see a surge of bacterial infections that will be immune to standard treatment.

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,460
    driver100 said:

I like that case idea. I think I’ll pick up a couple the next time I’m out. Thanks for the heads up.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    I had to tell my wife to STOP buying paper towels. The stack in the garage was getting unwieldy.

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,460
    qbrozen said:

I had to tell my wife to STOP buying paper towels. The stack in the garage was getting unwieldy.

We just found the culprit. :@

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,027
    edited September 2020
    QB’s comment about the garage full of paper towels reminded me of a funny anecdote here. A few years ago one of the local TV news operations got the bright idea to do a couponing segment once a week on the 6pm show. The person they picked (or more likely, the one who was pitched to them) was this annoyingly-voiced middle-aged hausfrau who took couponing to an extreme. She would appear each week telling you how to combine multiple offers to get products (many of which I would never buy) for free or close to it. I knew one of the producers at the station slightly at the time and she couldn’t understand why they were so in love with this woman because they all thought she was nuts.

Anyway, one Saturday I’m standing in a long checkout line at a big drug/food/cosmetics store. The lineups were always bad there but this day they were really busy. Up ahead I saw why: a couple with 2 shopping carts full of paper products and other stuff that was on promo, with the coupon lady and her husband rifling though a couple of big expanding file folders stuffed with coupons. It was her. Oh, great. No wonder the line was not moving. A while later my acquaintance sent me a pic that was making the rounds of the TV station that showed the inside of her garage. It had shelves along the walls with a double-wide central shelving unit down the middle. It was stuffed to the rafters with merchandise, a lot of it paper products but also stuff that often went on sale like PB, laundry products or canned goods, more than they could ever possibly use. Unreal.

Thankfully she was dropped from the news show after a few months.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,851
    edited September 2020
    My good luck ran out!

First the Volvo sunroof (see posts in CCBA)

Second my over the counter microwave blew up. All appliances have to be working for the home sale and the buyer’s inspection is early next week

I get the old one down, run to Home Depot. They don’t have any cheap ones in stock but did have a $500 GE floor model for $217. Sold.

Get home mount the backing plate. Go to the unit and pull the blocking plate off the back and no rear exhaust. Ugh. Back to the store it goes tomorrow.

Looks like Lowe’s has a rear exhaust Samsung in stock.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

just go with the flow. All you can do.

what date is closing?

edited September 2020
    Yes, you are correct. In all honesty something had to go wrong! Luckily I save the install costs and do it myself.

We are closing on Oct 29th for the old home and the 30th for the new. It adds about $300 to the cost of the movers but worth it IMO.

We need to settle on ours first for the down payment.

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333
    This happened to us when we went under contract. Our home was built with a fancy modern kitchen sink faucet that broke about 10 days before closing. Was NLA and buyer was adamant that it be that exact fixture or she would back out.

Ended up finding one on eBay. $700 later for the fixture and we closed.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible

This happened to us when we went under contract. Our home was built with a fancy modern kitchen sink faucet that broke about 10 days before closing. Was NLA and buyer was adamant that it be that exact fixture or she would back out.

Back out of a multi hundred thousand dollar deal over a lousy faucet? She must be a joy to live with.

edited September 2020

Back out of a multi hundred thousand dollar deal over a lousy faucet? She must be a joy to live with.
    People get weird spending large amounts of money. I’m not sure I blame them.

Given that our property appreciated 52% in the time we owned it, you better believe I didn’t even blink when I found the faucet. No chance was I risking the deal.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,092
    In the insane market of Q3 2020, I wonder if sellers are just snickering if buyers make crazy demands, knowing someone else will probably be happy to step up.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    edited September 2020
    My Financial Guy is one of the people I first met at my first job right after college. He was a sales person for my company and I was a Technical Rep/Sales Support. He really didn't do well selling business machines (i.e. copiers, typewriters, etc). But, he did switch gears and got into the financial planning field. He spent years securing all the licenses and now he's the V.P. at one of the big firms. We've made some good money together, and we've lost some. But, we've remained friends through it all. More than one person has told me I shouldn't mix my finance advisor with my friend list. But, he's never steered me wrong.

The times I've lost money is when I went off on my own (although I've made money doing that, too). He's done well for himself. And, he's a major reason I've been able to just chuck it all during this COVID Pandemic and resign/retire from my former career and live quite comfortably. Aside from my girlfriend, he knows details about me that many would like to know, but never will!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    dino001 said:

driver100 said:

The thing I would ask myself is....if the average index can outperform the so called experts, then how well can amateurs do?

Some can actually do much better as long as they recognize they play a different game, even though they're occupying same field. There are multiple reasons why many professionally run funds lag indexes, mostly having to do with improperly applied time perspective. For example they have to take phone calls from clients every day and answer idiotic questions like "what did you do last week to outperform the index? They often are not allowed for their investment thesis to play out due to extended time frame. Imagine you run a fund and you invested in a "noname" company that has a potential to make 10x in three years, but it just happened it dropped 30 percent in two months. You will be fired. Peter Lynch once said "nobody got fired for buying IBM stock" (not true today, but it was true back then), which basically means if you underperform, but everybody understands why you bought your stuff, then they'll likely let you carry on. This set of limitations will make majority of the fund managers "closet indexers", essentially buying "around" the index with just a few tweaks here and there (underweight this by by percentage point, overweight that by one, etc.). No swings whatsoever. In that case ye returns will likely be very close to index returns, but there are management fees (for mutual funds charged every day in 1/365 increments). This will make the fund trail the index. Probably by not much, but enough to be noticeable. The situation is even worse in hedge funds that have such high fees that even if you make well over market index, your client may still lag (but who cares, after all you've made your money and that's all that counts).

Individual investors are free from all of these limitations. However, they're not free from having to do real homework on the companies they want to invest in or are already invested, understanding their business, product, financial statements (being able to read income statements and balance sheets, taking time to do so and draw their own conclusions about the business). Show me people who actually do that. Watching CNBC shows with people peddling ideas (and mostly their own image) and telling you should buy this or sell that could count as a small portion of such homework, but many stop there. Then we have now a new "Robinhood investors", who can't tell the difference between stocks and bond and think market is an iphone game where Tesla always goes up and buying shares of Hertz after it declared bankruptcy will somehow make you rich.

Attention K-mart shoppers!
    "Then we have now a new "Robinhood investors", who can't tell the difference between stocks and bond and think market is an iphone game where Tesla always goes up and buying shares of Hertz after it declared bankruptcy will somehow make you rich."

It really is hard to understand why things like that always seem to happen when people know that it will never turn out well.

"Kmart’s stock price broke the dollar barrier for the first time since the bankruptcy filing Tuesday (January 22, 2002), rising 31 cents, or 34%, to close at $1.23 per share."

"When the company emerged from Ch. 11 on May 6, 2003 the previously issued common stock was cancelled and, as such, trading has ceased," Kmart KMRT said."

"Won't Get Fooled Again" - The Who, 1971
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
    Watched a car slam right into the back of a turning car around the corner from my house.

venture said:

I was driving on the interstate this morning, following a SUV at between 65 and 70 mph - in a 65 zone. We both were in the process of passing a left lane camper while going through an interchange.

I looked to my right at the on ramp and saw someone in an old Lexus coming up the ramp. There was nobody behind me for 10 -20 car lengths or more so I figured he would just slide in behind me since I couldn't move over to the left lane.

Wrong! He kept coming, passed me on the right, partially on the shoulder as we were leaving the gore area. Then he cut in front of me, between me and the SUV I was following, then in front of the LLC.

The only problem he had was the car 10 -20 car lengths behind me was a State Trooper. His lights came on immediately...lol.

I love the Karma cop! :D

venture said:

Wrong! He kept coming, passed me on the right, partially on the shoulder as we were leaving the gore area. Then he cut in front of me, between me and the SUV I was following, then in front of the LLC.

The only problem he had was the car 10 -20 car lengths behind me was a State Trooper. His lights came on immediately...lol.

I see people do crazy stuff like that and there is never a cop around.
    My idea is to have unmarked cars on the road with dashcams. Deputies would travel the roads and take video and mark bad drivers....time of the infraction. Drivers (at least the owner of a car) who are caught driving erratically get a $500 ticket. That would stop a lot of bad driving.

driver100 said:

venture said:

My idea is to have unmarked cars on the road with dashcams. Deputies would travel the roads and take video and mark bad drivers....time of the infraction. Drivers (at least the owner of a car) who are caught driving erratically get a $500 ticket. That would stop a lot of bad driving.

Why not have them pull the car over right when they see the car driving erratically? Isn't that what they do know anyway?

tjc78 said:

Watched a car slam right into the back of a turning car around the corner from my house.

It's crazy out there.

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    edited September 2020

Funny, is a seller's market, you could have told the buyer to pound sand. The lady that sold us our current house kept insisting each time we reported a non-functioning undisclosed item that the item item worked perfectly well, and we just didn't know how to operate an on/off switch correctly (basically, pound sand). Apparently, we didn't know what we were talking about, and she did from 1,000 miles away.

I particularly remember the garage door motor/opener ($$$) and the garbage disposal in the kitchen sink being dead on arrival ($$).

I've had lousy agents. I wish the real estate market for scam artist agents wasn't so strong with the political lobby support so home sales could go more TESLA like.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    My son and his girlfriend just bought a first home. Offered full price. Home inspector found some concerning electrical issues. No balking at all from the seller about having them repaired. Around $2450 of receipts for all of it. At the closing, found out seller's realtor had taken a $1700 cut in her commission.

Basically covering most of the repairs. :s

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

venture said:

tjc78 said:

It's crazy out there.
    What's scary is the car that was behind the one that did the hitting swerved into my lane and almost hit me.

Wouldn't that have sucked as I just got the Enclave back from the body shop!

driver100 said:

venture said:

If we are going to advocate for ticketing owners rather than offenders, let's not stop there. I say we do criminal charges against the factory workers that helped build the gun that killed someone, and for that matter, the gun store owner that originally owned the gun too.

Law n' order.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    venture said:

I was driving on the interstate this morning, following a SUV at between 65 and 70 mph - in a 65 zone. We both were in the process of passing a left lane camper while going through an interchange.

I looked to my right at the on ramp and saw someone in an old Lexus coming up the ramp. There was nobody behind me for 10 -20 car lengths or more so I figured he would just slide in behind me since I couldn't move over to the left lane.

That cop would have done society 1,000 times better if they had ticketed the original LLC that started all of the problems and chain of events to begin with. Oh well :disappointed:
    fintail said:

In the insane market of Q3 2020, I wonder if sellers are just snickering if buyers make crazy demands, knowing someone else will probably be happy to step up.

Snickering such as telling you, and insisting that a garbage disposal with a blown power supply and a garage door opening motor with stripped gears are "perfectly functional" and you "just aren't using them right." :angry:
    andres3 said:

venture said:

That cop would have done society 1,000 times better if they had ticketed the original LLC that started all of the problems and chain of events to begin with. Oh well :disappointed:
    Unfortunately it won't happen. I got a speeding ticket in New York when a LLC finally moved over. I was in a line of cars that sped up to get past him before he decided to go back over. When you are fishing you take the one you hook.

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    kyfdx said:

My son and his girlfriend just bought a first home. Offered full price. Home inspector found some concerning electrical issues. No balking at all from the seller about having them repaired. Around $2450 of receipts for all of it. At the closing, found out seller's realtor had taken a $1700 cut in her commission.

Basically covering most of the repairs. :s

Our daughter and son-in-law also had all problems repaired. I think the agent told the sellers that every buyer would insist on the same items. If they wanted a quick sale, why balk this far along in the process?
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    tjc78, Any update on the Volvo?

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

The risk we ran is that even if someone else picked it up, other buyers behind them would have been concerned with whatever made the first buyer balk. Combined with the fact we were doing a simultaneous close, it wasn't worth the hassle of telling her to pound sand.

The risk we ran is that even if someone else picked it up, other buyers behind them would have been concerned with whatever made the first buyer balk. Combined with the fact we were doing a simultaneous close, it wasn't worth the hassle of telling her to pound sand.

We were very far along in the process and our purchase almost fell through because the owner was such a tight-behind. We literally were ready to walk away over a couple thousand but I believe the agents conspired to keep the deal alive by taking a tiny chunk of their commissions and putting into the deal so that our immovable lines in the sand were not a couple thousand apart.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,252
    Took me visits to 8 Home Depot's but I found my garage door trim.
    It's the side trim that has the gasket to seal out the wind.
    Gaskets on the lower end of 2 of the doors are worn out after 20+ years.
    Just about all of the stores listed what I was looking for as in stock with the number of them.
    The one I found it at, I was the only Caucasian person in the store.
    When I got out of my car, another guy getting out of his, looked at me and thought about getting back in.
    Got a lot of looks in the store, too.
    It's unfortunate things are so awkward.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert

driver100 said:

venture said:

Why not have them pull the car over right when they see the car driving erratically? Isn't that what they do know anyway?
    That would take a real police officer....with a gun and who has to be prepared for a confrontation and who are paid a lot.....most of our cops seem to be making over $100k. Plus, there aren't enough cops around to chase speeders, and it can get dangerous. Deputies that only record would be cost effective, actually make money, and wouldn't take away from more intensive police work like catching actual criminals etc.