Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,515
    so a human red light camera?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975
    stickguy said:

so a human red light camera?

Exactly! But the guys who weave in and out and go up the side never know where they are, and they just drive Cruze's and Jettas. Some of the guys here would probably love that job....cruising around watching for bad drivers....if it wasn't for tennis I would love that job.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

Good idea fixing the microwave tjc.
    When we bought the Florida place in 2010 we put a $10000 deposit down on another unit.
    We had it inspected and one of the items we asked be repaired was a light switch that didn't work.
    They thought that light switch would never hinder the sale.
    After we put the $10k down, a much nicer unit came up for sale for the same price.
    By the time they sent the paperwork to us we had time to withdraw our offer, and our agent canceled the offer on the first home, and got back our deposit because they wouldn't fix the light switch.
    They threatened to keep the deposit, but we had an out. Since there was an older lady involved plus her 3 nasty threatening sons....we did give her $500 for her trouble.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905
    edited September 2020
    This may be a new topic!

Water Heaters. New house has a Noritz tankless unit. I’ve read there is maintenance that needs to be done.

Anyone have one, experiences to share?

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    tjc78 said:

This may be a new topic!

Water Heaters. New house has a Noritz tankless unit. I’ve read there is maintenance that needs to be done.

I really don't have any experiences to share that would be of any interest to anyone. My Dad had a tankless water heater (electric) installed about 15 years ago in my condo unit. I've never maintained it nor have I had any difficulties or performance problems in all those years. Actually, I was thinking about the unit a few days ago - I am sure it will give out shortly (within a few months or a year or so) because of its age. Still gives me all the hot water I need and my electric bills are the better for that tankless water heater. If I had a tank water heater, I am sure it would add at least $15.00 - $20.00 a month to my electric bill. I pray that I die before the tankless water heater dies - and I mean that!!! B)

2021 Genesis G90

I mentioned a few weeks/months ago that one of my best friends (he just turned 72) is having some real problems in terms of memory and control of some of his bodily functions.

Back in October of last year, he passed out in the shower and ended up breaking his neck/vertebrae at the C3/C4 level. He was hospitalized twice in order to perform work to fuse the vertebrae. He wore a neck brace for 4 months and finally had it removed about 6 months ago.

Back in June of this year, he passed out again in his garage and ended up breaking his left wrist. Back in to the hospital to surgically repair the fractures and he spent 3 weeks in the hospital because he developed a bladder infection which took quite a while to correct - was also on heavy narcotics for a time due to the pain. He was released to a rehab facility where he spent 6 weeks. He had lost control of his bladder and eventually lost control of his bowl movements requiring diapers.

Now, he uses a walker to get from one room in his house to another and has had limited improvement in his gross motor muscles - i.e. walking, standing, sitting, etc. His memory is getting pretty bad and, in my opinion, he is deteriorating right before our eyes.

I remember my Dad had memory and verbal limitations when he had "onset" Altzheimers, which I think is what is happening to my friend. Just think - 10 months ago he was an active man who was fun to be around. In the last 10-11 months, he has deteriorated quickly. Those loss of consciousness episodes were probably mini strokes that have accelerated his memory loss and control of bodily functions. This serves as a "heads-up" for me to relish the days and weeks and months we possess all our functions and capacities and mental faculties. You never know when you'll be hit with a deteriorating mental and physical capacity - troubling, to be sure!

2021 Genesis G90

sad to hear Mike. My father had a mini stroke a few months ago, and it manifested similar to that. He had a more serious one last year, so it seems that once you start them, expect more.

we went with a tank unit, so can't speak personally to a tankless, but I thought they were basically maintenance free. But I am sure the internet will know (just go to their site and get the real answer!)

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,139
    In the recent Seattle market, a seller could say "if you don't like it, keep walking", then yell out "next!", and have no problems.
    andres3 said:

Snickering such as telling you, and insisting that a garbage disposal with a blown power supply and a garage door opening motor with stripped gears are "perfectly functional" and you "just aren't using them right." :angry:

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    tjc78 said:

This may be a new topic!

My Dad has a Navien tankless in his house. The 2 most important things about the tankless heaters are to make sure they are properly vented. A lot of installers don’t install exactly how the manufacturer specifies and that leads to problems down the road.

As far as maintenance goes, you should have a de-scaler run through the system to have any gunk that’s built up flushed out.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

that only matters (the venting) if it is gas though, right? Electric units are ventless?

Thanks guys! I’ll see about having it descaled. That’s what I’ve read too.

• ventureventure Member Posts: 2,872
    Two gallons of gas saved.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

So by 2035, Las Vegas and Phoenix new car dealers will see a significant increase in new vehicle sales? It's only a 250 mile drive to those cities from Southern California. Just another reason for people to move out of California.

2021 Genesis G90

abacomike said:

So by 2035, Las Vegas and Phoenix new car dealers will see a significant increase in new vehicle sales? It's only a 250 mile drive to those cities from Southern California. Just another reason for people to move out of California.

I love my gasser car.....but, it is pretty crude technology, way over 100 years old. Gas will probably be phased out before 2035 anyway....especially when car manufacturers are leaving it completely - Volvo. Not sure batteries are the answer, but they will have something by then.

This may be a dumb question (alright - don't need the remarks) but is there extra maintenance for say a Hybrid car? I mean you save on your gas bill, but does the car need extra things done to it for maintenance and do certain things breakdown....could it end up costing more in the long run?

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,084
    tjc78 said:

This may be a new topic!

Back in 2006 nat gas was installed in my street and I needed a new furnace anyway so I got a gas one, no complaints there. At the time I was renting a water heater from the furnace oil supplier I had been using so this was the time to change it out. I thought a tankless gas unit was the way to go. At the time though, perhaps because they were still pretty uncommon around here, most suppliers were pretty down on them. The main complaint I heard at the time was that they required such an intense use of energy to get the water hot in a short period of time that they were hard on the unit itself and as a result tended to have lots of problems. That combined with the large cost drove me away from it. I still like the concept though and hopefully the tech and build quality has increased since then.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,777
    For us, it's always been the initial cost thing. $2000 vs. $750 for a tank. (installed) I love the idea, but never seem to be able to pull the trigger. If we were electric vs. natural gas, I think I'd pick tankless, regardless.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165
    abacomike said:

I wouldn't be investing in a Las Vegas car dealership quite yet, at least not for this reason. It's a typical empty gesture for sake of the extreme elements in his political base. Most likely illegal, too as I don't think his legal authority of banning pas powered cars is similar to that to "outlaw" red shirt or brown shoes. If there was a legislature doing that, it may have some real and scary teeth.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

driver100 said:

abacomike said:

I love my gasser car.....but, it is pretty crude technology, way over 100 years old. Gas will probably be phased out before 2035 anyway....especially when car manufacturers are leaving it completely - Volvo. Not sure batteries are the answer, but they will have something by then.

This may be a dumb question (alright - don't need the remarks) but is there extra maintenance for say a Hybrid car? I mean you save on your gas bill, but does the car need extra things done to it for maintenance and do certain things breakdown....could it end up costing more in the long run?
    In theory, no. Batteries wearing out are most obvious huge expense. And electric motors can certainly fail, but should not require much maintenance along the way. The rest is electronics and computers. Expensive if they go, but not much to do along the way.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    kyfdx said:

For us, it's always been the initial cost thing. $2000 vs. $750 for a tank. (installed) I love the idea, but never seem to be able to pull the trigger. If we were electric vs. natural gas, I think I'd pick tankless, regardless.

In colder climates like the North East & Ohio, the tankless units don't perform as well when the ground water is 40 degrees. My Dad has a Natural Gas Heater that is set to about 100 degrees. His traditional "tank" heater feeds the Navien tankless heater. Being set at 100 degrees, it doesn't work very hard.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,012
    Some years back, my folks in CA installed a tankless water heater for their house. On my visits there, I didn't notice any appreciable difference. Wonder if they saved money on their utility bills?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

nyccarguy said:

kyfdx said:

In colder climates like the North East & Ohio, the tankless units don't perform as well when the ground water is 40 degrees. My Dad has a Natural Gas Heater that is set to about 100 degrees. His traditional "tank" heater feeds the Navien tankless heater. Being set at 100 degrees, it doesn't work very hard.
    Interesting idea. I thought having individual POS units at each hot water point made sense. Cut down the lag time, and don’t need a big beast of a unit.

Thanks guys as always. Just had the home inspection. Guy said it’s in great shape to just flush it out with white vinegar occasionally.

tjc78 said:

Thanks guys as always. Just had the home inspection. Guy said it’s in great shape to just flush it out with white vinegar occasionally.

Like cleaning a shower head.

stickguy said:

nyccarguy said:

kyfdx said:

Interesting idea. I thought having individual POS units at each hot water point made sense. Cut down the lag time, and don’t need a big beast of a unit.
    Our natural gas tank water heater is at the other end of the house from our master bath. Maybe 45-50 feet of pipe away. At one point, I considered putting an individual unit in, just for the master bath. But, then we finished the lower level, and that killed that idea.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    abacomike said:

I think we should all get together and set up a string of dealerships just across the state line, in 15 years we will make a small fortune.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    driver100 said:

abacomike said:

I would think that two power sources in line to both power the vehicle would be more complex than the sum of the two separate power sources.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    edited September 2020
    stickguy said:

driver100 said:

abacomike said:

In theory, no. Batteries wearing out are most obvious huge expense. And electric motors can certainly fail, but should not require much maintenance along the way. The rest is electronics and computers. Expensive if they go, but not much to do along the way.
    All electric usually need much less maintenance on a yearly basis. Electronics are in gas cars too so that’s a wash. Hybrid plug ins do have a gas engine too so you do need oil changes like in a regular gas car.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere

driver100 said:

abacomike said:

I would think that two power sources in line to both power the vehicle would be more complex than the sum of the two separate power sources.
    That was my thinking but stick says the electric motor is pretty much trouble and maintenance free....at least in theory. I think it is more like kids, one kid is a lot of work, 2 kids isn't double, it is to the 2nd power or 4 times as much work....and 3 kids would be 9 times as much work.....and so on.

if you have a hybrid, that is more complicated because you have the gas engine, all the electric motor and battery parts, and all the tech and gizmos to make them work together. I was thinking about a straight electric vehicle, where you have a battery, electric motors, and the control unit. That is much less complicated.

We don't do any any maintenance on motors of vacuum cleaners, refrigerators or dishwashers. They work and at some point they stop, usually because of either worn bearing, bad electronics, or seals whenever water is involved. None of these items can be considered regular/preventative maintenance, rather they are all repair items with schedule based on lack of the draw. I think some hybrid power may be more prone to repair issues same way, but it would be a design problem (like say bad electronics), not a maintenance item. However, all traditional parts of internal combustion engine and power transmission system will require maintenance same way regular gas car does.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,543

abacomike said:

I think we should all get together and set up a string of dealerships just across the state line, in 15 years we will make a small fortune.
    Good idea. I’ll work for you guys as long as I can be the roving F&I guy and I get to keep what I charge for doc fees.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)

abacomike said:

On I-15 at the Nevada/California State Line, there are a string of Gambling Casinos - some of them quite large and intriguing. I would definitely work out a deal with several of those State Line Casinos where I could put 8 or 9 new car dealerships up on their properties and throw in hotel stays and casino chips/slot free-play with every new car sold. Why not make it worth their while to drive over? Additionally, when anyone hits the jackpot on a slot, he/she has some upscale new car dealerships to buy that Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Porsche, Maserati or Cadillac they have always dreamed of! ;):DB)

2021 Genesis G90

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    Makes as much sense as mandating consumption of bean sprouts and soy milk.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

My 10 year old HP PC is on its last leg. It takes me several tries to get it to load when I turn it on. I use it very seldom - maybe once or twice a week for 30 minutes or so. My main use of the PC is for word processing and printing (I have an HP laser printer that is NOT wireless).

So I have begun the strenuous activity of looking at towers to replace my HP 190t (1st generation I7 processor). It would cost me about $1300 for just the tower - it would be a gaming computer capable of running Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 which would need 1 tb SSD Primary hard drive and 512 gig SSD 2nd hard drive, 16 gigs of RAM, an Nvidia 8 gig graphics card like an RTX 2070, and a tenth generation I7 processor. Since my monitor (23" HD) and my printer are HP products, I have been looking at HP as a replacement tower so I can plug everything into the back of the new tower.

Another possibility is to just forget about getting a new tower and forget about Flight Simulator, and just get a compatible laptop that would accept my printer cable. That would cost a bit less but would be more portable so I could use it in any room of the house.

So I am now on a "safari" to determine what I want, what I need, and where to buy it. Wish me luck!

2021 Genesis G90

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

driver100 said:

abacomike said:

Mike, you do use the video game? If so, might as well get a tower, though a laptop these days can run plenty. If you can live without probably just need a chromebook. And the cable is not a huge deal, since they have adapters for just about everything now.

edited September 2020
    I would grab a laptop with a good video card and a solid state drive. You can alway hook it up to your monitor when you want to.

What cable does the printer use? I can’t imagine it’s not USB so anything you buy will have it.

You biggest headache may be what your monitor connection is. Most laptops today are HDMI only but like Stick said adapters exist for most anything.

we had an old monitor that I set up when my wife switched to WFH. But it had the old school big multi-pin plug. Her laptop was new, and did not have that. So we had to by a monitor plug to USB (or HDMI, could have been either) adapter to get it to work. But, works fine.

jmonroe1 said:

abacomike said:

Good idea. I’ll work for you guys as long as I can be the roving F&I guy and I get to keep what I charge for doc fees.

jmonroe

I wouldn't buy a car franchise anywhere. The car makers make the rules and they care ruthless for cutting your profits and making you buy big fancy showrooms. How many car makers are going to survive the next 15 years....Blockbuster looked indestructible....and then Netflix came along. Discount department stores had a good run and then Amazon came along. Besides, if you buy a franchise you are still really working for someone else...and they make all the rules. Maybe a Chic Fil A but that's a long shot, and though it costs nothing to get one...you never actually own it.....they do!

abacomike said:

Another possibility is to just forget about getting a new tower and forget about Flight Simulator, and just get a compatible laptop that would accept my printer cable. That would cost a bit less but would be more portable so I could use it in any room of the house.

So I am now on a "safari" to determine what I want, what I need, and where to buy it. Wish me luck!

I have no idea if this helps but we have 2 HP All in One Desk Top Models that we really like. This 24 inch model is $570 on Amazon....some are more and some less depending on ability and bells and whistles.

All in ones have the tower built in...less wires. You can get a wireless printer, copier scanner for $60 to $100 that hooks up easily.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=hp+all+in+one+computers+desktops&i=computers&rh=n:541966,p_89:HP&dc&crid=145D1Z9F1IA46&qid=1600998738&rnid=2528832011&sprefix=hp+all+in+one+computers,aps,174&ref=sr_nr_p_89_2
    Just something to think about :)

@driver100
    That’s a nice solution for a little kitchen desk or bedroom setup. Looks much cleaner than a tower and monitor. Pair it with wireless keyboard and mouse and all you have is a power cord and maybe Ethernet line if you aren’t running wifi

abacomike said:

Since my monitor (23" HD) and my printer are HP products, I have been looking at HP as a replacement tower so I can plug everything into the back of the new tower.

Dell or anything else with Windows will work just the same with the printer and monitor. Same connections, same software, There is nothing special in HP towers that somehow would make them work better with them.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

tjc78 said:

@driver100
    That’s a nice solution for a little kitchen desk or bedroom setup. Looks much cleaner than a tower and monitor. Pair it with wireless keyboard and mouse and all you have is a power cord and maybe Ethernet line if you aren’t running wifi

The one disadvantage could be if the monitor goes or the guts go...you lose both.....but, that isn't going to happen too often. But for some people, advantages far outweigh disadvantages...easy set up, no messy wires.

dino001 said:

abacomike said:

Since my monitor (23" HD) and my printer are HP products, I have been looking at HP as a replacement tower so I can plug everything into the back of the new tower.

Dell or anything else with Windows will work just the same with the printer and monitor. Same connections, same software, There is nothing special in HP towers that somehow would make them work better with them.
    Solid State Drive.... I got a new tower last year, and that's the best part!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

SSD is an absolute must today and the prices went down enough so it doesn't blow your price as it used to. Also, do not touch anything less than 16 GB RAM, even for home use, 24 or 32 GB is preferred if you anticipate some computations or multiprocessing. The biggest variable today is video card, as those can go from $50 to $5000. For gaming you want a dedicated card rather than on-board integrated, but setting appropriate price and level can be a difficult and confusing process.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

I agree 100% SSD and as much RAM as budget allows.

I don’t game or edit video so I don’t even pay much attention to video cards.