Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Return New Car

kmarinkmarin Member Posts: 2
edited September 2020 in Lexus
Need Advice. We bought a new 2020 Lexus 4 days ago and we hate the sport seats. They are uncomfortable and would be horrible for road trips. We called the dealer but they said they would have to put it back on floor as a pre-owned. they would take as a trade in for the model without the "sport seats" my question is I wonder if we would do better trying to sell on our own or maybe purchasing and trading with a non Lexus dealer. I feel like we will lose money on this car and then they won't deal much on the model they want to put us in since they know we need a car.

Comments

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,268
    kmarin said:

Need Advice. We bought a new 2020 Lexus 4 days ago and we hate the sport seats. They are uncomfortable and would be horrible for road trips. We called the dealer but they said they would have to put it back on floor as a pre-owned. they would take as a trade in for the model without the "sport seats" my question is I wonder if we would do better trying to sell on our own or maybe purchasing and trading with a non Lexus dealer. I feel like we will lose money on this car and then they won't deal much on the model they want to put us in since they know we need a car.

Who did you speak with at the dealer?

I would attempt to connect with the General Manager (or higher - dealer principal) and explain the situation. Lexus has positioned themselves as 'customer friendly' so I'd give them a chance to do the right thing by you.

But, it never hurts to get independent bids from CarMax, Carvana or Vroom to see what they value the vehicle at.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,547
    hard to imagine any lexus not being comfortable. And their seats tend to have lots of adjustment, including cushion length and lumbar support (up/down and in/out). Depending on the model, sometimes the side bolsters go in and out too. So trying all that is a good start.

sometimes seats feel firmer at first, but on a longer drive, are much more comfortable since they give better support. Classic Mercedes situation. Versus some cars where it felt like you were sitting on a pillow, but after a few hours your body ached from lack of support.

if that doesn't work for you, like Michael said, reach out to the boss. If you are lucky they have not processed the DMV work to register the car, and maybe can unwind it. I not, you will take a hit.

heck,it might be cheaper to buy a set of regular seats and swap them in!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• kmarinkmarin Member Posts: 2
    We spoke with the our salesperson, she said she was off today but would speak with her manager tomorrow. Unfortunately, there are no adjustments on the sport seats other than the usual up, back, tilt. The back side supports come out almost at a 90 degree angle, I guess the idea is to keep you hugged in tightly, great for a race track but not for a road trip. As the passenger you can't adjust on your hip or have a pillow to rest on the window both the seat and the back wrap around you. When you're test driving a car for a couple of miles you are looking at so many things, electronics, how the pick up is, etc. We are happy with everything else about the car we just chose the wrong model of the 350 rx. The other models don't have the sport seats and I can see on the specs that those seats are much wider inches all around and the seat and back edges are at a gradual angle. Had we not chosen the F sport model I know we would be thrilled with our purchase. I'm just sick over it. Only has a few miles on it but has been registered with the dmv. Thanks for you both responding
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I guess the questions becomes is it best to take a loss or try to get used to the seats? A quality upholstery shop may be able to replace some of the bolstering with a softer material....maybe? This car will have to be resold as a used car and the buyer will expect a hefty discount. Yes, talk to the General Manager. They may be open to minimizing your loss especially if it's a popular model that may be in short supply.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,944
    probably be cheaper to order a set of non-sport OEM seats than to trade the vehicle.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S