Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Finance Rate First Time Buyer

darnoc23darnoc23 Member Posts: 16
edited August 2020 in Hyundai
Hello,

Anyone know what the tier 1 rate is and if being a first time buyer disqualifies you for the tier 1 rate? I have a 705 credit score and have no balances on credit cards. However, I've never financed a car and being told the rate is higher. How do I know if the rate is being marked up? TIA.

Comments

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    darnoc23 said:

Hello,

Anyone know what the tier 1 rate is and if being a first time buyer disqualifies you for the tier 1 rate? I have a 705 credit score and have no balances on credit cards. However, I've never financed a car and being told the rate is higher. How do I know if the rate is being marked up? TIA.

If you don't have auto-related payment history, then you likely aren't going to qualify for Tier 1.

In addition to that, dealers often mark up rates for extra profit.

Are you buying or leasing?
    What is your location?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Buying in southern CA. Dealer states if I buy gap insurance at $800 the interest rate will be reduced from 6% to 4%???
  • Options
    darnoc23 said:

Buying in southern CA. Dealer states if I buy gap insurance at $800 the interest rate will be reduced from 6% to 4%???

Selling you $200 worth of insurance for $800, then giving you a lower rate. I'll guess you either already qualify for 4% or 5%, and this is a naked money grab.

For finance, 705 gets you Tier 3 rates (maybe lower, if no auto credit history)
    Tier 3 adds about 0.90% to the Tier 1 rate.

On a 72 month loan, with LTV of 80%-100%, the Tier 3 rate would be 4.99% APR

There are special lower rates available, but those take money out of the dealer's pocket.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Thank you!! Ugh, these dealers find every way to sneak in money.
  • Options
    There's no way to really tell whether a dealer is marking up the interest rate, correct? I tried calling Hyundai and they kept referring me to the dealer.
  • Options
    darnoc23 said:

There's no way to really tell whether a dealer is marking up the interest rate, correct? I tried calling Hyundai and they kept referring me to the dealer.

Correct, it will be hard. Shop multiple dealers.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    azuki azuki Member Posts: 29
    Can you lease for less than 10k/year? I have barely used my vehicle (leased since aug '17, only at 14k miles) ever since WFH, but I do like having the convenience of a car and rotating into a new vehicle. I'm looking at the 2021 Elantra N Line.
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,315
    mochicat said:

Can you lease for less than 10k/year? I have barely used my vehicle (leased since aug '17, only at 14k miles) ever since WFH, but I do like having the convenience of a car and rotating into a new vehicle. I'm looking at the 2021 Elantra N Line.

Hyundai does not offer lease mileage allowances lower than 10K.

Perhaps you should find a nice, well cared for used model, and just purchase it outright.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    Thanks! I'll try to negotiate. I just like to have a new vehicle every few years. In this scenario, do you get some equity back towards next lease from having lower mileage (say like 15k on a 30k lease)? I searched online and really didn't get a solid answer- was wondering if anyone experienced this.
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,315
    mochicat said:

Thanks! I'll try to negotiate. I just like to have a new vehicle every few years. In this scenario, do you get some equity back towards next lease from having lower mileage (say like 15k on a 30k lease)? I searched online and really didn't get a solid answer- was wondering if anyone experienced this.

If you turn the lease in, then the market value doesn't really matter.

I turned in a lease a year ago and I only drove 16K (out of the 36K I was allowed). Nothing for me from that.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    Got it. Thank you!
This discussion has been closed.