Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Project Cars--You Get to Vote on "Hold 'em or Fold 'em"

Comments

• Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,708
    edited September 2020
    Nice looking Grand Wagoneers on Ebay are $30,000-$50,000, so that's a money loser, for sure.
  • Options
    omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    Lower depreciation than a new BMW 750i. But the Jeep does without laser headlights.
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
  • Options
    gsemikegsemike Member Posts: 2,286
    CWhat can you get around here for 5 grand or less

Having checked in a while. Seeing what drivers are out there on FB Marketplace

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/628715514512642 Bring on winter. Never loved these Dakaotas but looks good for an extra truck

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/376635016835141 Grandpa giving up the Lucerne

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2764778670453672 How about a Durango

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1425951340906905 These old Malibu wagons have become a rare sight

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/323817195393182 Outback w 175k has help up good it looks

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/343512530345692 Volvo DL

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/427869858119966 Can't drive, has small oil leak, probably needs engine???? A little all over the place

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557
    Bmw is worthless. Looks like the one hoovie recently bought, then took straight to the wrecking yard after diagnosing everything wrong with it.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    gsemikegsemike Member Posts: 2,286
    stickguy said:

Bmw is worthless. Looks like the one hoovie recently bought, then took straight to the wrecking yard after diagnosing everything wrong with it.

Yeah, parts car
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,949
    Damn. Heckuva deal on that Dakota

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    If that ads legit, that’s a steal. Though just need plugs could just as easily be, just needs a new motor.

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,796
    I don't see any text for any of those links.... what am I doing wrong?
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    Price seems a little crazy to me, but this is certainly an odd duck....!

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    If you want to sell a car in a hurry, take lessons from this guy!
  • Options
    Skimpy on details and pictures, but I like the BMW.

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    That's a lot of money for a daily driver work vehicle with obvious rust(Ranchero).
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,169
    Took the old dear for a spin today, won't be doing that around here much anymore. Ran fine, turned heads and got several approving looks, along with a kid who took pics of the car. Thursday the car goes in for an inspection so I can get a second opinion on the fuel pump noise and possible wheel bearing noise. Assuming all is well, I hope to go on a several hour road trip to its new garage within the next month or so:

• Options

I'd put the steel wheels and hubcaps back on this one. Forget the engine swap and just have fun driving it until the list of needs grows too long. Current Bid: $1,890 Ends In: 20:05:36

I've never driven the wagon Kadett but have taken a ride in one. This one has the 1.1 dual carb option and I did drive my brother's '71 Kadett B with that same engine/trans. That sold price though.
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,315
    The two door looks like Oliver!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    the 2 door has the wheels that were on my '75 Manta

• Options
    Close, Oliver was the prior generation.

Those make me think of the Bob Lutz pic:

• Options
    steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    Oh bless my heart -- it has 'GG' plates! Gross-Gerau is the county where the Rüsselsheim Opel plant is located. I grew up about 15 miles from there. cheers -mathias
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    steine13 said:

Oh bless my heart -- it has 'GG' plates! Gross-Gerau is the county where the Rüsselsheim Opel plant is located. I grew up about 15 miles from there. cheers -mathias

That makes sense, since that pic was taken after Lutz rolled it on Opel's test track. There is general belief that while him rolling the car actually occurred on the track there, this picture was staged at some later point.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,201
    steine13 said:

Is that on the Rhine? Famous for coffee?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Pic definitely looks like a parking lot rather than a track.
  • Options
    Took the old dear in for an inspection today - per my indy mechanic, everything is fine. Fuel pump noise didn't seem odd to him (maybe a perception issue for me, usually driving the very quiet E wagon), no apparent wheel bearing or rear end issues, he deemed it completely roadworthy. Kind of sad to be leaving this mechanic, who I've been patronizing for 15 years, and has never shied away from the old car.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    fintail said:

Took the old dear in for an inspection today - per my indy mechanic, everything is fine. Fuel pump noise didn't seem odd to him (maybe a perception issue for me, usually driving the very quiet E wagon), no apparent wheel bearing or rear end issues, he deemed it completely roadworthy. Kind of sad to be leaving this mechanic, who I've been patronizing for 15 years, and has never shied away from the old car.

Considering how often you take it for its service, I don't see why you need to leave him unless you choose to. Heck, I have to take my vehicle further (about 100 miles further) for its visits to Anchorage. If you coordinated the trips with a friend, it wouldn't be all that much effort. :)

Good to hear that it is in solid shape, though.
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,927
    Best of luck with the trip when you decide to do it.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    Thanks. I think the car will be fine, it will be an adventure.

Regarding using the same shop, I don't think I could justify it unless it was a huge job, like a complete engine rebuild or something. Estimating 5 hours each way (taking 2, not 90) seems a bit much for a routine service. But maybe if I find a friend with an enclosed car hauler who will move it for free B)
  • Options
    fintail said:

Thanks. I think the car will be fine, it will be an adventure.

Regarding using the same shop, I don't think I could justify it unless it was a huge job, like a complete engine rebuild or something. Estimating 5 hours each way (taking 2, not 90) seems a bit much for a routine service. But maybe if I find a friend with an enclosed car hauler who will move it for free B)

Meh. Lower 48ers. A five-hour trip is just heading over to the next town! Besides, once per year? Justified. Unless, of course, you find a shop you like and trust in the Spokane area.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Spokane metro area has more than 500K people, there has to be something, I'll look around when it is time. Even when I lived in Bellingham, which has under 100K people, I knew of 2-3 places I could take the car and be confident they weren't going to mess it up or pull one over on me.
    xwesx said:

Meh. Lower 48ers. A five-hour trip is just heading over to the next town! Besides, once per year? Justified. Unless, of course, you find a shop you like and trust in the Spokane area.

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Back with me again, safe and sound in the garage now, the car ran sweet all day - I could tell it didn't care for the pass, but once that was done, there was little to complain about. I noticed no issues driving other than a little blowby out of the dipstick (which doesn't seal, and the car has always done that), and I still hear something odd from the right rear, sounds to me like a slightly flat spotted tire or something - but the shop couldn't find an issue, so maybe I am a hypochondriac.

I couldn't ask for more, first rest after a long day:

• Options
    good news!

• Options
    fintail said:

Spokane metro area has more than 500K people, there has to be something, I'll look around when it is time. Even when I lived in Bellingham, which has under 100K people, I knew of 2-3 places I could take the car and be confident they weren't going to mess it up or pull one over on me.

Wow... 500,000?! That area has really grown....
  • Options
    Yep, Spokane and Spokane Valley alone are closing in on around 350K combined, I think. The collective Spokane-Coeur D'Alene metro is over 700K.
    xwesx said:

Wow... 500,000?! That area has really grown....

• Options
    A friend of mine here in Fairbanks is currently moving to Tri-Cities (Richland) due to taking a new job there. It seemed like an odd move to me, as I've never really thought of that area as a recruitment destination. However, I imagine that the Tri-Cities area is probably enjoying similar growth to Spokane.
  • Options
    bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,472
    Yes, my sister's BFF lives in the Tri-Cities, and she said it has exploded. Kinda weird to me, because I worked up there in the late '70s and it was basically a set of three small towns. Let me provide an enlightening anecdote. The (very brave) owner of the local movie house brought in the Rocky Horror Picture Show. The audience sat there in stunned silence during the entire showing trying to figure out what the he!! it was. It closed after one showing.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

• Options
    Tri Cities metro is over 250K now, I think.

One of my old college roommates left the Seattle area rat race for that area around 5 years ago, as he could work from home and his wife got a job at Hanford. He bought a 3500 sq ft mcmansion on 2 or 3 acres for the price of his tract house an hour or more commute from work. He made the right move.
  • Options
    Other than buying a mcmansion in the first place, I would say he certainly did!
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Someone isn't coming out to play this weekend:

A good 3" or more on the ground now, not bad for October, welcome to the Inland Empire! Glad I completed the big drive last weekend.
  • Options
    fintail said:

Someone isn't coming out to play this weekend:

A good 3" or more on the ground now, not bad for October, welcome to the Inland Empire! Glad I completed the big drive last weekend.

It's headed our way.

Maybe 6" in the city, but up to 24" for the mountains.

Here's hoping it will affect the fires we are having.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• Options
    I was wondering if those CO fires are anywhere near any of you in the Colorado crew.

• Options
    stickguy said:

I was wondering if those CO fires are anywhere near any of you in the Colorado crew.

The fires are about 100 miles from where I live. My wife's uncle lives in one of the towns affected, but he travels a lot and may not be home.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    Official station not far from me claims 5" now, apparently the 2nd highest daily total in Spokane recorded history. I love the snow, maybe this is a good omen about my move.

I am sure it can't hurt the firefighting. Supposed to be around 10F here overnight tomorrow and Sunday.
    Michaell said:

It's headed our way.

Maybe 6" in the city, but up to 24" for the mountains.

Here's hoping it will affect the fires we are having.

• Options
    Wow, that's impressive for this time of year! Not all that typical, I would guess. I remember very few October snowfalls during my childhood, and the region got a lot more snow (overall) last century than this century!
  • Options
    We have only a small dusting... about 1.5" on the ground. It's been around for several days now, and the weather is cold and staying that way, but the snowfall is sparse so far.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    That is a nice cubby hole you found for your car! I would much prefer something like that to the parking garage space you had before. It seems you had good luck with the last home, but I would feel nervous about all the other visitors and activity.
  • Options
    We ended up with maybe 4-5", which I think in many spots broke the October record. Good excuse to stay home this weekend and work on final unpacking etc. The prior garage had few issues, as many of the other cars were also oldies just being stored (some didn't move for several years), but there was the prowl incident, hopefully won't have this in the new cubby hole. The modern car has a similar cubby, and it is a little tighter, as the car is wider and longer - fintail fits with room to spare.

When I was a kid and we lived in the Columbia Basin, I have no memory of snow before November, either. However, I think Moses Lake had nothing from this event, too. This seems to have been a NE corner event.
  • Options
    xwesx said:

We have only a small dusting... about 1.5" on the ground. It's been around for several days now, and the weather is cold and staying that way, but the snowfall is sparse so far.

You would not believe the delays and accidents in Columbus caused by 1 inch of snow on the roads. During winter mind you. 1.5 inch snow "dusting" of Columbus Ohio in October? Level 1 snow emergency likely.
  • Options
    Seattle is the same way, but in December or January. More than 3-4" or so will effectively shut things down.
    omarman said:

You would not believe the delays and accidents in Columbus caused by 1 inch of snow on the roads. During winter mind you. 1.5 inch snow "dusting" of Columbus Ohio in October? Level 1 snow emergency likely.

• Options
    fintail said:

We ended up with maybe 4-5", which I think in many spots broke the October record. Good excuse to stay home this weekend and work on final unpacking etc. The prior garage had few issues, as many of the other cars were also oldies just being stored (some didn't move for several years), but there was the prowl incident, hopefully won't have this in the new cubby hole. The modern car has a similar cubby, and it is a little tighter, as the car is wider and longer - fintail fits with room to spare.

When I was a kid and we lived in the Columbia Basin, I have no memory of snow before November, either. However, I think Moses Lake had nothing from this event, too. This seems to have been a NE corner event.

Your new corner of the state is definitely more prone to snow events, both due to the proximity of the Rockies and the higher elevation in general. I think that you are nearing 2,000' there, which is quite a bit higher than my little town of Helix (about 1,200'). Even so, I don't recall hearing much fuss about snow in the area. The most common weather in the Pendleton area was dense (and I mean DENSE) fog and freezing rain/mist. That happened often enough that I would absolutely recommend winter tires for anyone who drives daily in the region. Not studs, though, as you're likely to just wear them out on dry roads before you actually get any benefit.
  • Options
    xwesx said:

Your new corner of the state is definitely more prone to snow events, both due to the proximity of the Rockies and the higher elevation in general. I think that you are nearing 2,000' there, which is quite a bit higher than my little town of Helix (about 1,200'). Even so, I don't recall hearing much fuss about snow in the area. The most common weather in the Pendleton area was dense (and I mean DENSE) fog and freezing rain/mist. That happened often enough that I would absolutely recommend winter tires for anyone who drives daily in the region. Not studs, though, as you're likely to just wear them out on dry roads before you actually get any benefit.

Yeah, I am just over 2000' at my address (I checked it), and no more than a couple miles west or south of here is 2400'. Other places I lived, like Yakima and Moses Lake, are around 1000'. I remember there was a big ice storm here, maybe around 1996, more than an inch of freezing rain/ice accumulation, shut the region down for some time. We even lost power for a short time today, I think in process of restoring an outage several blocks away. I am not fond of studded tires simply for the damage they cause when not on ice. Just gotta see if I can find a workable set of wheels, or use the stock wheels, but I want to do something, don't want to be snowbound.

• Options
    you can always get a winter tire/wheel package from Tirerack, but that is going to be pricey if you aren't planning to buy the lease out, or get a replacement that will use the same wheels.

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,986
    If I was leasing that would bum me if I had to spend $$ to buy extra tires and perhaps rims to get through winter.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav