Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324

ab348 said:

But where there's smoke, there's usually fire.

In any event any bias I have against motorcycles is not due to emissions. It stems from two things that I cannot stand:

1. The noise most riders, it seems, enjoy making, either the basso profundo loud Harleys, or the screaming, high-pitched, high revving Japanese sports bikes.
    2. In the latter group (at least locally), the ridiculously dangerous way they ride, weaving through traffic at high speed, blowing through intersections, etc.

There's a similarity between the bikes with loud pipes and the dangerous driving types to the drivers of usually Hondas with fart can or no can exhausts, primer paint, and dangerous driving habits of cutting in and out and zooming through lights at the end of the yellow.

Interestingly, decades ago I noticed the same characteristics in the Volkswagen drivers in their bugs. The would cut in and out because they felt they were smaller and more agile AND they often had loud exhausts, the most flamboyant of those with exhaust pipes sticking up like giant fingers.

Not to mention the noise some of those stereos put out with the bass turned up so high that they shake nearby buildings.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,976

driver100 said:

Turns out the average motorcycle is 10 times more polluting per mile than a passenger car, light truck or SUV.

I find that hard to believe, especially given the fact that I can go further on a gallon of gas on the bike than any car out there.
    Turns out the average motorcycle is 10 times more polluting per mile than a passenger car, light truck or SUV. It seems counter-intuitive, because motorcycles are about twice as fuel-efficient as cars and emit a lot less C02.

So what gives?
    Although motorcycles and scooters comprise 3.6 percent of registered vehicles in California and 1 percent of vehicle miles traveled, they account for 10 percent of passenger vehicles' smog-forming emissions.

Motorcycle engines are twice as efficient as automobile engines, so they generally emit less carbon dioxide. But they emit large amounts of nitrogen oxides, which along with hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide are measured by state and federal air quality regulators to determine whether vehicles meet emissions rules.

Here is the full article....not scientific enough for some.....believe it or not.
    https://www.wired.com/2008/06/motorcycles-pol/#:~:text=Turns out the average motorcycle,emit a lot less C02.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

Did a transport early this a.m. Transported a grey Malibu for a burgundy Impala. Not much to report except I can’t figure out why they needed me to do it. Got to the Malibu and there were at least two lot boys standing around smoking cigarettes and BSing. But, I got money to go to the Apple Festival now.

You just answered your own question. Would you want those jamokes driving a $35k piece of inventory?
    “Jamokes”....that’s funny. I’ve never heard that term before. Point well taken, though.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147

ab348 said:

In any event any bias I have against motorcycles is not due to emissions. It stems from two things that I cannot stand:

1. The noise most riders, it seems, enjoy making, either the basso profundo loud Harleys, or the screaming, high-pitched, high revving Japanese sports bikes.
    2. In the latter group (at least locally), the ridiculously dangerous way they ride, weaving through traffic at high speed, blowing through intersections, etc.

There's a similarity between the bikes with loud pipes and the dangerous driving types to the drivers of usually Hondas with fart can or no can exhausts, primer paint, and dangerous driving habits of cutting in and out and zooming through lights at the end of the yellow.

Interestingly, decades ago I noticed the same characteristics in the Volkswagen drivers in their bugs. The would cut in and out because they felt they were smaller and more agile AND they often had loud exhausts, the most flamboyant of those with exhaust pipes sticking up like giant fingers.

Not to mention the noise some of those stereos put out with the bass turned up so high that they shake nearby buildings.
    Early in the spring/summer because there were few if any cruise-ins, a few local towns had cruise nights, where cars just cruised the main streets like _I_ used to do back in the 60s. There were several of the loud small Hondas and other with fart can type exhausts, along with several loud pickup trucks. The little cars started getting stopped by the police because of their aggressive driving on the back loop parts of the cruise pattern.

The police were very tolerant of the driving and noise for a few weeks, but some kept pushing it more and more.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

edited September 2020
    My opinion of who rode motorcycles got an education in the 1982 Worlds Fair era at Knoxville. We had been taking trips to the Smokey Mts frequently and wanted to stay in Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg, but motels there were way over priced because of the Worlds Fair 30 miles away in Knoxville TN. I guess they were selling the sizzle of staying in the Smokey Mts. to those also hitting the world fair.

We just wanted the steak. So we found a brand name motel in East Knoxville was way cheap. However, a "gang" of motorcycles with sidecars and long seats started arriving. A group of cyclists were having or going to a get together. Turns out, they were dentists, IIRC. Most cycles were Gold Wings but lots of Harley models and a few others.

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    Yeah, hecks angels for sure.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester

If this group had passed me on the interstate they wouldn't have looked much different with their leather jackets. I don't recall about helmet wearing in those days. But the bikes were more Hondas and generally newer looking than the stereotype group of travelers on bikes in groups.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349
    I saw this rare bird while out driving in my 318ti SVT:

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,388

I hate people.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
    qbrozen said:

Motorcycles are safer than cars. Between 2010 and 2020, the serious injury and death rate for motorcycles was less than automobiles by a factor of 25x. Meanwhile, when taken on a per passenger per mile basis, motorcycle owners conserved 1.28 million barrels of oil vs automobile drivers. Good for your health AND good for the planetary resources.

There, I wrote it on the internet, so it must be true.

The NHTSA reports that 13 cars out of every 100,000 are involved in a fatal accident, but motorcycles have a fatality rate of 72 per 100,000. Motorcyclists are also at a greater risk of a fatal accident per mile traveled. For every mile traveled, motorcyclists have a risk of a fatal accident that is 35 times higher than a car driver. In 2004, there were 37,304 people in cars killed in traffic accidents in the United States. That same year, 4,008 motorcyclists were killed on U.S. roads

motorcycle owners conserved 1.28 million barrels of oil vs automobile drivers. Good for your health AND good for the planetary resources.

This is my day off so I am not going to research this but, although motorcycles use less gas the pollutants they produce are worse, and you may be using gas for one rider...a car could have 4 or 5 passengers going that same distance.

driver100 said:

qbrozen said:

Motorcycles are safer than cars. Between 2010 and 2020, the serious injury and death rate for motorcycles was less than automobiles by a factor of 25x. Meanwhile, when taken on a per passenger per mile basis, motorcycle owners conserved 1.28 million barrels of oil vs automobile drivers. Good for your health AND good for the planetary resources.

The NHTSA reports that 13 cars out of every 100,000 are involved in a fatal accident, but motorcycles have a fatality rate of 72 per 100,000. Motorcyclists are also at a greater risk of a fatal accident per mile traveled. For every mile traveled, motorcyclists have a risk of a fatal accident that is 35 times higher than a car driver. In 2004, there were 37,304 people in cars killed in traffic accidents in the United States. That same year, 4,008 motorcyclists were killed on U.S. roads

motorcycle owners conserved 1.28 million barrels of oil vs automobile drivers. Good for your health AND good for the planetary resources.

This is my day off so I am not going to research this but, although motorcycles use less gas the pollutants they produce are worse, and you may be using gas for one rider...a car could have 4 or 5 passengers going that same distance.

All it needs is a Vtech decal.

You mean these guys?

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,935
    @driver100 , the fact that you are spending time researching my made-up stats is ever so tempting to keep up the creative writing, but I’m showing some self control.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

driver100 said:

qbrozen said:

Not necessarily......"Thinking Outside the Box".

qbrozen said:

@driver100 , the fact that you are spending time researching my made-up stats is ever so tempting to keep up the creative writing, but I’m showing some self control.

Q....I thought either you were making it up (most likely since you said it was true since you put it on the internet) BUT, I also thought there was a possibility you may believe what you wrote. I have no way of knowing....so, just in case I decided to set you straight. If you think that is funny glad to have amused you!

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,544
    q, time for you to get in the next to the last word. :'(

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646

Did a transport early this a.m. Transported a grey Malibu for a burgundy Impala. Not much to report except I can’t figure out why they needed me to do it. Got to the Malibu and there were at least two lot boys standing around smoking cigarettes and BSing. But, I got money to go to the Apple Festival now.

You just answered your own question. Would you want those jamokes driving a $35k piece of inventory?
    “Jamokes”....that’s funny. I’ve never heard that term before. Point well taken, though.
    From Webster:

“ slang : an ordinary, unimpressive, or inept person —typically used as a term of mild or joking disparagement for a man
    If my brother and I proved one thing, it's that just about any jamoke can host a radio show.
    — Ray Magliozzi
    Your boss obviously thinks you're suckers, fools, chumps and jamokes. Take your pick.
    — John Kass
    Why hasn't anyone thought of inventing a laptop case that converts into a portable office so that when a jamoke like me is stuck in a joint like this, he can use the case as a portable work desk?
    — Jeffrey L. Seglin”

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

edited September 2020
    @jmonroe1 nah, man, I'm good. Look, picking apart data is my job. My day-to-day is ensuring the FDA can't reject materials and/or fine our clients. So my habit is to look at the proof. When there is no proof, it didn't happen. And that's the way, uh-huh uh-huh, I like it.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

qbrozen said:

@jmonroe1 nah, man, I'm good. Look, picking apart data is my job. My day-to-day is ensuring the FDA can't reject materials and/or fine our clients. So my habit is to look at the proof. When there is no proof, it didn't happen. And that's the way, uh-huh uh-huh, I like it.

CHICKEN. B)

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    edited September 2020

My opinion of who rode motorcycles got an education in the 1982 Worlds Fair era at Knoxville. We had been taking trips to the Smokey Mts frequently and wanted to stay in Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg, but motels there were way over priced because of the Worlds Fair 30 miles away in Knoxville TN. I guess they were selling the sizzle of staying in the Smokey Mts. to those also hitting the world fair.

We just wanted the steak. So we found a brand name motel in East Knoxville was way cheap. However, a "gang" of motorcycles with sidecars and long seats started arriving. A group of cyclists were having or going to a get together. Turns out, they were dentists, IIRC. Most cycles were Gold Wings but lots of Harley models and a few others.

I was living in Knoxville in 82 and graduated from UT in 83. We had great fun with the World’s Fair, especially the German Octoberfest based venue. And it was only blocks away from the beat up house I shared with 3 others, a quick walk to campus.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

jmonroe1 said:

q, time for you to get in the next to the last word. :'(

jmonroe

lol, you gave an invitation for the next to last word....where is my invitation for the last word? Never mind....I know exactly what you are going to say :@
    I don't necessarily have to have the last word...but, it would be rude not to reply or to not give someone closure. And, once I was a teacher....so I believe people can learn from their mistakes :p

• omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
    On a slightly different topic....you know what really bothers me.
    5 or 6 days a week I have about a 20 to 25 minute drive to get to the tennis courts.
    On Friday, I had a really slow guy ahead of me - not once but this happened twice!
    Driving slow and driving about 30 mph in a 40 zone is bad enough...but, in both cases the slow drivers barely made it through a light that turned yellow.....and I had to stop for a light I should have been able to make. :@
    Absolutely no thought about other people.
    Same thing happens on Green Left Arrow turns....when the guy in front starts daydreaming or texting!

driver100 said:

5 or 6 days a week I have about a 20 to 25 minute drive to get to the tennis courts.
    On Friday, I had a really slow guy ahead of me - not once but this happened twice!
    Driving slow and driving about 30 mph in a 40 zone is bad enough...but, in both cases the slow drivers barely made it through a light that turned yellow.....and I had to stop for a light I should have been able to make. :@
    Same thing happens on Green Left Arrow turns....when the guy in front starts daydreaming or texting!

I got behind a guy yesterday on a back country road who was doing 35 or so in a 55, but it was an old Ford with a jump seat, something like this:

First chance I got I dropped a gear and got around him really fast. What got me is that checking my mirrors no one that was behind me passed him even though it was a long straight flat stretch of road with no oncoming traffic.

I was at the Honda dealership over the weekend (powersports not cars) getting some work done on the bike getting her ready for the winter. The place was relatively empty and by that I mean empty of inventory, not nearly as many bikes, quads, watercraft and the like. Talking to the owner he told me that it was hard getting stuff from the manufacturer and that he was selling out of a lot of things. He stated that he wasn't getting his full allotment of inventory, as an example he said that he usually sells over 70 personal watercraft but received less than half of that this year. It's due to the factories being shut down then slowly reopening. On the plus side he said he isn't negotiating on prices and is easily getting MSRP.

I haven't been in a car dealership since I got the BMW so not sure how auto dealers are doing. Any thoughts?

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,555

I was at the Honda dealership over the weekend (powersports not cars) getting some work done on the bike getting her ready for the winter. The place was relatively empty and by that I mean empty of inventory, not nearly as many bikes, quads, watercraft and the like. Talking to the owner he told me that it was hard getting stuff from the manufacturer and that he was selling out of a lot of things. He stated that he wasn't getting his full allotment of inventory, as an example he said that he usually sells over 70 personal watercraft but received less than half of that this year. It's due to the factories being shut down then slowly reopening. On the plus side he said he isn't negotiating on prices and is easily getting MSRP.

I haven't been in a car dealership since I got the BMW so not sure how auto dealers are doing. Any thoughts?

It depends on location, make, model, inventory levels, and of course the dealer. We purchased the RDX almost 2 months ago and found it to be a slog with inventory levels and how quickly they were selling cited as factors for the noncompetitive pricing. A deal was worked out in the end but it took our dealer getting a unit back in a dealer trade with their sister store. Otherwise we were making plans to simply turn in the car and go from there.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258

driver100 said:

I got behind a guy yesterday on a back country road who was doing 35 or so in a 55, but it was an old Ford with a jump seat, something like this:

First chance I got I dropped a gear and got around him really fast. What got me is that checking my mirrors no one that was behind me passed him even though it was a long straight flat stretch of road with no oncoming traffic.
    I think they called the "jump seat" a "RUMBLE SEAT" if I am not mistaken. :smile:

2021 Genesis G90

abacomike said:

driver100 said:

I think they called the "jump seat" a "RUMBLE SEAT" if I am not mistaken. :smile:
    Rumble seat is more accurate but a jump seat is also correct but lesser used.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,031
    pensfan83 said:

It depends on location, make, model, inventory levels, and of course the dealer. We purchased the RDX almost 2 months ago and found it to be a slog with inventory levels and how quickly they were selling cited as factors for the noncompetitive pricing. A deal was worked out in the end but it took our dealer getting a unit back in a dealer trade with their sister store. Otherwise we were making plans to simply turn in the car and go from there.
    That's pretty indicative of the stories I'm getting on the lease threads. Inventory is down, so pricing isn't as competitive. Will likely stay that way until new 2021 production cranks up.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

abacomike said:

Sounds like something from "West Side Story."

I read (in Canada) that used car prices are very high because there aren't enough new cars....production has been down. We have a shortage of pressurized wood here because of slowed production, aluminum cans for slower selling soda/pop cans are also in short supply. Certain flavors of Doritos chips are not being made so they can concentrate on the more popular flavors.....fewer workers on the line. Don't forget to stock up on paper towels.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,031
    driver100 said:

I read (in Canada) that used car prices are very high because there aren't enough new cars....production has been down. We have a shortage of pressurized wood here because of slowed production, aluminum cans for slower selling soda/pop cans are also in short supply. Certain flavors of Doritos chips are not being made so they can concentrate on the more popular flavors.....fewer workers on the line. Don't forget to stock up on paper towels.

Same issues in the US; wife and daughter are annoyed that their favorite varieties of diet soda are not available at the store.

Wife placed an order via Amazon for paper towels.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,517
    I had to pay $100 extra when we ordered the new shed because of pressure treated prices going through the roof.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

stickguy said:

...pressure treated prices going through the roof.

Our storage barn has pressure-treated wood in the floor. None in the roof.

edited September 2020
    Michaell said:

Same issues in the US; wife and daughter are annoyed that their favorite varieties of diet soda are not available at the store. .

I just came back from Kroger and they finally have Pepsi in 12-ounce cans again in Diet Decaffeinated flavor.
    I almost gave out a war whoop, I was so happy to see it.

Odd how they didn't have enough cans for diet decaf, but they had enough cans for many other flavors--they could have used some cans for Diet decaf. They didn't even have 2 liter plastic bottles of diet decaf until today.

driver100 said:

It doesn’t bother me that other than the original Doritos are in short supply because I only eat the original flavor. Same with potato chips although on rare occasions I will eat barbecue chips. As for paper towels, when we made our Sam’s run on Saturday we picked up a bundle of those although we still had about a half package of those. Sam’s had quite a few of them but not as many as they did the last time we were there about a month ago.

I guess you can say we got lucky with the lumber prices for the flip since we got all that stuff in the early Spring. But we’ll take the high prices into account when we sell. You don’t think we’re going to discount the price because we were lucky, do ya?

jmonroe

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

I guess you can say we got lucky with the lumber prices for the flip since we got all that stuff in the early Spring. But we’ll take the high prices into account when we sell. You don’t think we’re going to discount the price because we were lucky, do ya?
    jmonroe

What a guy! :)

edited September 2020

abacomike said:

driver100 said:

Rumble seat is more accurate but a jump seat is also correct but lesser used.
    I actually NEVER thought about the terminology before. I think I'm used to jump seat being inside, like the back of a land rover, for example. I'm not saying what is right or wrong, just what I'd probably think of if someone actually asked me. I didn't bat an eye when the first post stated jump seat, though, so I obviously don't think about it. lol.

This brings me to another question: are those even legal to sit in anymore when car is in motion? Would I go to jail for child endangerment if I had one and let my kids ride in it?

To your question? I am not sure if it's legal or not today but the car I saw had someone in that back seat.

Spotted this gem today. 2nd gen rusting Forester with offroad tires and fart can exhaust. Classy.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,907
    Years ago we had one of those as an office run around car. I really disliked it.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    edited September 2020
    qbrozen said:

ab348 said:

I definitely am biased against both those groups, as well. And, unfortunately, they outnumber the calm, quiet riders by a very large margin where I live.
    I'm more offended and highly biased by people driving hulking heavy giant SUV's while clearly looking down at a cell phone.

I'm also offended when they go 0 to 60 in 2 minutes while merging onto the freeway.

Lastly, I never see those bike/motorcycle riders on their cell phones while moving.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    edited September 2020
    andres3 said:

qbrozen said:

ab348 said:

I definitely am biased against both those groups, as well. And, unfortunately, they outnumber the calm, quiet riders by a very large margin where I live.
    I'm more offended and highly biased by people driving hulking heavy giant SUV's while clearly looking down at a cell phone.

I'm also offended when they go 0 to 60 in 2 minutes while merging onto the freeway.

Lastly, I never see those bike/motorcycle riders on their cell phones while moving.
    tough call for me. The dumb SUV driver only affects me when it is near me on the road, while the ridiculously loud bike riders are auditorily assaulting everyone within a half mile. The former, of course, is far more dangerous.

I puttered around the yard a bit on my bike today, and my son on his. Mine is SO QUIET.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830

To your question? I am not sure if it's legal or not today but the car I saw had someone in that back seat.

A friend of mine had a '30s Buick businessman's coupe with the rumble seat. He picked up my son in it, one time, and the two boys went riding off in the rumble seat. Probably 12 yrs old. Definitely not safe. I kept seeing the orthodontia bills, if he had to come to a quick stop.

A jump seat is a seat that folds down to sit in.. like in the back of an extended cab pickup, or a troop transport plane.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

andres3 said:

You're not looking hard enough. I have seen many using their phone while moving.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646

I mentioned over on CCBA that Enterprise has been selling everything for premium prices to dealers. Our wholesale lots are empty, as are the stores. We often deliver a car to customers who have been cooling their heels waiting for us to arrive. We hop out, the renter hops in. There are no cars left to pull out of service.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

andres3 said:

qbrozen said:

ab348 said:

They must not have practiced balancing in the first grade.

jmonroe