Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Silverado 1500 WT collision no fuel

Johnm11Johnm11 Member Posts: 7
edited September 2020 in Chevrolet
Long story short, Rear ended a small car. Drove it for a couple of days before I got a rental. I’m going to fix it myself. That’s the long part I won’t get into. Picked it up today to drive it to where I’m going to make repairs. First try starting it it didn’t start. Second time it did but stumbled before o gave it gas and drove off. 1/2 mile later it stalls and can’t be restarted. Engine cranks with authority. The hit was significant but the damage is the bumper, grille, and hood. A/C condenser is bent but radiator is fine. It drove well after the accident. Where do I start troubleshooting this?

Comments

• Johnm11Johnm11 Member Posts: 7
    Well, I’m New to the forum and thought I was putting this in the repair forum. Not sure I can have it moved. Anyone has a suggestion let me know. Otherwise a little later on tonight I’ll re-post it in the repair forum.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    Johnm11 said:

Well, I’m New to the forum and thought I was putting this in the repair forum. Not sure I can have it moved. Anyone has a suggestion let me know. Otherwise a little later on tonight I’ll re-post it in the repair forum.

Done

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Thank you for moving this.
    If it helps, the truck is a 2010 Silverado WT. 4wd, 6 speed transmission with 300,000 miles on it. Transmission was rebuilt 100,000 miles ago and the engine is as tight as the day it left the factory. It gets an oil change every 3,000 miles and fluids are maintained properly. When it finally stopped running I was driving and it acted as if there was an obstruction in the fuel line. Which I may have disrupted in the accident. It slowed until it finally stopped.
    Lesson learned. If felt like it ran out of fuel and it did. Apparently the fuel sending unit was damaged in the accident and reported a 1/2 tank of fuel when it was empty. Add fuel and it started right up.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    Johnm11 said:

Lesson learned. If felt like it ran out of fuel and it did. Apparently the fuel sending unit was damaged in the accident and reported a 1/2 tank of fuel when it was empty. Add fuel and it started right up.

Thanks for the follow up!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I like to finish what I started. What sucks is I had the tank all the way disconnected and unbolted with the weight on the jack when I shifted the weight of the tank on the jack and noticed it was empty. That’s most of the work done for no reason.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    Thanks for reporting what you found.

I was thinking you might have damaged a component like a fuel line due to tank shifting
    during the force of the impact. Instead it was even easier... at least you saved some work.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

edited October 2020
    @imidazol97
    The weight of the bottom part of the fuel pump was bent at a 30 degree angle and one of the rods that support the bottom part was broken off. I wish I could post pictures but the damage was extensive. That fuel pump had 307,000 miles on it. I understand that they are normally good for about 140,000 miles. So I got my monies worth out of it. As an added benefit the new pump solved a vibration at idle that plagued that vehicle since I bought it.