Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    Cool looking. Interesting thing to put away like that. Steep price, and what do you do with it?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    @tjc78,
    That's more than we paid for my wife's 96 SHO when it was new!
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852
    Exactly! I just don't know why you would want it. You can't drive it without destroying the value, It's not collectible and can't see it appreciating, so really it's a lose lose.

Maybe if you loved the model it's worth 15k or so, but I certainly can't see that price.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    stickguy said:

Cool looking. Interesting thing to put away like that. Steep price, and what do you do with it?

Steep Price? It's damn near vertical. A 25 year old car might just need a lot of work because time will harm it as much as miles. Good luck to them selling it at that price.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,465
    driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe1 said:

abacomike said:

Yeah, what he said. Why does a breakdown result in someone having to buy a new car?

It does not have to result in buying a new car. We looked at several low-mileage pre-owned vehicles and for $6,000 more, she has a brand new car, a 6 year/100,000 mile warranty, and a car that "she" picked out. Her payment is for $329 a month for 75 months. Her credit scores were not good - we were lucky she was able to finance at all. 6.1% is not bad considering her existing debt and scores.

I had thought about paying the whole thing, but that gives her no responsibility for her car and I really can't afford to deplete my capital that much. $8000.00 is enough to help her get to a payment that she can barely manage on her two or three jobs (5-day job during the week and 2-part time jobs over the weekends). I did not want to get the warranty, but since she keeps her cars until they just "die", the extended warranty will provide her with a cushion should anything happen to the car after the Honda warranty is over. The warranty she purchased ($1600) also covers items such as hoses, belts, wipers, etc., above and beyond what Honda warrants. She was the one who wanted the extended warranty, not me.

Bottom line, cdnpinhead, she's my daughter, I love her, and I want her to be as happy as possible!
    All very valid reasons but the last one is the only one that matters. Funny, $8,000 is just about what I paid for my son’s car.
    $8,000 is just about what I paid for my first new car (1981 Mustang).
    My first new car was a ‘66 Bonneville 2 door hard top with the 389 cubic inch V8 engine, power windows but no A/C. I’m almost positive the window sticker was $4009. Today, option packages cost more than that.

BTW, what’s the story with your oil loss situation?

jmonroe
    It's not leaking anymore but I still have to take it back for them to look at. Likely this afternoon.
    Hopefully you burned off all of what was spilled but you should have noticed smoke on the drive home from the oil change but you can’t argue with a good outcome. That’s what started me with being a DIYer. I could screw things up just as well as a garage and it didn’t cost me a dime but a lot of knowledge was gained along the way.

jmonroe

.....until that fateful day!
    You know. if I was as fearful as you when it comes to DIY stuff, I think I’d just set myself on fire and hope the fire trucks never showed up.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964
    I have saved a lot of money and serious injury to myself over the years....knowing when to call the guy, and knowing what I can do myself. Can't recall voiding a warranty either.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe1 said:

abacomike said:

Yeah, what he said. Why does a breakdown result in someone having to buy a new car?

It does not have to result in buying a new car. We looked at several low-mileage pre-owned vehicles and for $6,000 more, she has a brand new car, a 6 year/100,000 mile warranty, and a car that "she" picked out. Her payment is for $329 a month for 75 months. Her credit scores were not good - we were lucky she was able to finance at all. 6.1% is not bad considering her existing debt and scores.

I had thought about paying the whole thing, but that gives her no responsibility for her car and I really can't afford to deplete my capital that much. $8000.00 is enough to help her get to a payment that she can barely manage on her two or three jobs (5-day job during the week and 2-part time jobs over the weekends). I did not want to get the warranty, but since she keeps her cars until they just "die", the extended warranty will provide her with a cushion should anything happen to the car after the Honda warranty is over. The warranty she purchased ($1600) also covers items such as hoses, belts, wipers, etc., above and beyond what Honda warrants. She was the one who wanted the extended warranty, not me.

Bottom line, cdnpinhead, she's my daughter, I love her, and I want her to be as happy as possible!
    All very valid reasons but the last one is the only one that matters. Funny, $8,000 is just about what I paid for my son’s car.
    My first new car was a ‘66 Bonneville 2 door hard top with the 389 cubic inch V8 engine, power windows but no A/C. I’m almost positive the window sticker was $4009. Today, option packages cost more than that.

jmonroe
    It's not leaking anymore but I still have to take it back for them to look at. Likely this afternoon.
    Hopefully you burned off all of what was spilled but you should have noticed smoke on the drive home from the oil change but you can’t argue with a good outcome. That’s what started me with being a DIYer. I could screw things up just as well as a garage and it didn’t cost me a dime but a lot of knowledge was gained along the way.

jmonroe

You know. if I was as fearful as you when it comes to DIY stuff, I think I’d just set myself on fire and hope the fire trucks never showed up.

jmonroe

Maybe wearing some fireproof Depends.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe1 said:

abacomike said:

jmonroe

jmonroe

jmonroe

Maybe wearing some fireproof Depends.
    I never knew they existed. There ain’t no telling what I’ll try to tackle now. Thanks for the tip.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559

jmonroe1 said:

abacomike said:

jmonroe
    That’s weird. Leaks usually don’t stop by themselves.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,029
    House 3 doors up from sold after being on the market for 3 weeks and showing “Sale Pending” for the last two of them. Bidding war as I suspected. Listed for $399K, sold for $460K.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

tjc78 said:

fintail said:

Yeah, an LX was rare, and could have attractive wheels. My mom had a 93 GL, some options (I think a wheel and stereo upgrade) but no moonroof/leather or anything so fancy. IIRC, it didn't have a tach either, but as I was younger and more carefee then, I know the needle could be pegged with plenty of speed to go.

tjc78 said:

My second car was a 93 Taurus. I actually liked it. Fully loaded except auto temp. Leather, moonroof, body cladding. Silver over grey. Sometimes people thought it was an SHO. They didn’t sell many LX modes back thenI.

I had it up to stupid speeds more than once. 85 MPH speedometer so nothing exact but at least 100.

I was looking for one like mine and came across this third gen. Cool time capsule, but look at that price.

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/ford/taurus/2429633.html
    That’s a crime against nature. Get a hot car and then not drive it at all. I bet with inflation and storage costs the owner lost money for all his trouble.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

edited October 2020

jmonroe1 said:

abacomike said:

jmonroe
    one plausible answer is slopping pouring into the filler neck. Maybe some got splashed into a spot where there was a hollow, and they did not bother to mop it up, and it was splashing out onto the manifold. Eventually you will run out.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,096
    Yeah, I know 90s nostalgia comes up from time to time, but that's nutty. You can't drive it, and not many people care yet, either.

I'll admit with little shame that I have a soft spot for the first ovoid Taurus - not pretty, but daring, and as mentioned, it is almost old enough to be a nostalgia car now.
    tjc78 said:

I was looking for one like mine and came across this third gen. Cool time capsule, but look at that price.

My sister and brother in law just had an offer accepted. They lucked out, just under 10% over ask - but they are, as the crow flies, about 40 miles from Seattle, so not the trendiest area, but the market is crazy anyway. Now they are in for the greater part of half a million dollars for a one owner unrenovated 1987 build. If you like various shades of pink/peach/mauve and light oak finishes, I have the house for you.
    ab348 said:

House 3 doors up from sold after being on the market for 3 weeks and showing “Sale Pending” for the last two of them. Bidding war as I suspected. Listed for $399K, sold for $460K.

The thing I like most about those Taurus's is they were used in Robocop.
    If someone had loads of money and wants a conversation piece....that car would be perfect.

Robocop used an older generation car.

I think it was the recently introduced 87’ Taurus because it was so futuristic looking for the time.

But I really would rather have this:

Yeh, the previous jelly bean version, but still reminds me of Robocop.
    I'd rather have one like this replica offered on E-Bay for $5000

Now that would be fun to drive around in...might have to take off the roof lights first though :o

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,255
    Woke up this morning with a dry cough, chest congestion and a running nose. No fever, but if my temp goes up at all, I will go to the hospital in Boca Raton (best one within driving distance) and see what they have to say. Just hope I don't get a fever - I have COPD and other pre-existing conditions which do not bide well regarding this Covid-19. We'll have to see what develops. :s

2021 Genesis G90

My daughter has had her new Civic EX for three days now and she reports that the car runs great and is very "peppy" with that 1.5 liter turbo charged engine. She likes the safety features which she is not used to since her 2010 Accord Coupe didn't have all the nanny features. She said it handles much better than her Accord ever did and drives well on the Interstate. I'm just glad that we were able to find something she liked, could afford (which remains to be seen) and that pleased her. :)

2021 Genesis G90

jmonroe1 said:

abacomike said:

jmonroe
    They can if the leak is caused by something like pressure and the pressure is elevated or if the level of the fluid drops to such a level that it doesn't reach where the leak occurs. But I took it in and they just had to tighten the filter and hopefully that's all but there is another issue. I have also developed a leak in the coolant system and the check engine light went on I need to get that into the guy to have it fixed. However if it costs to much to fix I am just going to call the other guy and have it towed to the junk yard in exchange for cash. The latter is looking like it will be its faith so sad as it has served me well. Based on what we paid for the car, what I can get for scrap and the miles we drove it it only cost me about 12 cents a mile.

The downside is that this doesn't give me a reason to go car shopping. :'(

edited October 2020
    Doctor just ordered a "Z-PAC" (Zithromax) for me. I will run over to drug store when it is ready. He said that if my temp spikes, I should immediately go to the hospital. So I will be checking temp frequently.

2021 Genesis G90

jmonroe1 said:

abacomike said:

jmonroe
    They can if the leak is caused by something like pressure and the pressure is elevated or if the level of the fluid drops to such a level that it doesn't reach where the leak occurs. But I took it in and they just had to tighten the filter and hopefully that's all but there is another issue. I have also developed a leak in the coolant system and the check engine light went on I need to get that into the guy to have it fixed. However if it costs to much to fix I am just going to call the other guy and have it towed to the junk yard in exchange for cash. The latter is looking like it will be its faith so sad as it has served me well. Based on what we paid for the car, what I can get for scrap and the miles we drove it it only cost me about 12 cents a mile.

Far too much selling of cars here and not enough buying lately.

fintail said:

Yeah, I know 90s nostalgia comes up from time to time, but that's nutty. You can't drive it, and not many people care yet, either.

I'll admit with little shame that I have a soft spot for the first ovoid Taurus - not pretty, but daring, and as mentioned, it is almost old enough to be a nostalgia car now.

tjc78 said:

The thing about nostalgia is that seeing something nostalgic would take you back to that era. That car won't do it as it would blend to much into todays traffic. Not like a 1967 Mustang or a 1970 Barracuda would.

tjc78 said:

jmonroe1 said:

abacomike said:

jmonroe

I bought the replacement for this car just over a year ago, you can go back and reread it. ;)

Here is a second hand car buying story, One of my coworkers was car buying a while back and was in negotiations and he decided that it wasn't going his way so he decided to use the buyers most powerful weapon and leave. Well they told him that they couldn't find the keys to his trade in so it might be a while before they could get them to him. His response was "That's OK I have the second set, call me when you find them".

abacomike said:

Woke up this morning with a dry cough, chest congestion and a running nose. No fever, but if my temp goes up at all, I will go to the hospital in Boca Raton (best one within driving distance) and see what they have to say. Just hope I don't get a fever - I have COPD and other pre-existing conditions which do not bide well regarding this Covid-19. We'll have to see what develops. :s

Sorry to hear that. Don’t you have testing options other than a hospital? Can’t imagine any place more contaminated.

jmonroe1 said:

abacomike said:

jmonroe

You need an excuse?

tjc78 said:

jmonroe1 said:

abacomike said:

jmonroe

I bought one in June, only so much I can do. :'(

tjc78 said:

jmonroe1 said:

abacomike said:

jmonroe

I bought the replacement for this car just over a year ago, you can go back and reread it. ;)

Here is a second hand car buying story, One of my coworkers was car buying a while back and was in negotiations and he decided that it wasn't going his way so he decided to use the buyers most powerful weapon and leave. Well they told him that they couldn't find the keys to his trade in so it might be a while before they could get them to him. His response was "That's OK I have the second set, call me when you find them".
    Don’t tell me there’s still stores that pull that.

edited October 2020

That's a very old trick. When that Indiana Ford jacked us around on the Mustang GT I liked they parked my trade out of sight after they appraised it.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    I always have carried two keys. I'll have to remind son and DIL that if they car shop, they'll need
    two sets of keys to avoid this trick. They bought the Encore but had no trade it. The father-in-law
    and mother-in-law were there involved in the negotiating. I told my son that's the best way to shop--no trade.

I told him I'll take the Cruze when they decide to replace it. He's not there yet. He has commented
    he really like the Q5 the inlaws bought last year. He's driven it.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    @abacomike
    Wishing you get healthy quickly. The stress of wondering if you picked up the bug or
    any bug is nerve wracking and wears us down.

The regular flu in this area are being talked about as being rougher versions this year.
    I'm surprised they were allowed to say the regular flu viruses had worse risk, but they did.

I had my shot August 31. I had a stronger reaction to this one this year. Kroger pharmacist gave it: free
    to me, paid by my insurance.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Snake, why not just sell it? Even as is, disclosing the current issue, if it runs and drives (especially if you can bandaid or ignore the coolant issue) should get snapped up for $1,000-$1,500 or so. Plenty of DIY people or shadetree mechanic flippers out there who could do the work themselves.

Did they tell you exactly what the problem with the cooling system is, and what needs to be done to resolve it?

abacomike said:

Doctor just ordered a "Z-PAC" (Zithromax) for me. I will run over to drug store when it is ready. He said that if my temp spikes, I should immediately go to the hospital. So I will be checking temp frequently.

I hope that it's just a minor thing that goes away quickly. Do you have something like an immediate care facility nearby that can see and test you instead of going to the ER?

jmonroe1 said:

abacomike said:

jmonroe

You need an excuse?
    Well we all know I don't but she who must be obeyed would think otherwise. Since we have a new engine on the Sonata (only about 5K miles on it) we may not be actually needing a new car for some time.

Buy hey looking costs nothing and since I always tell the salesperson that I am just looking and not buying soon if he wastes his time with me it's on him (her?, It?, Them?).

tjc78 said:

jmonroe1 said:

abacomike said:

jmonroe

Don’t tell me there’s still stores that pull that.
    OK I won't but a few years ago when I was with the SIL as he was looking for a van they pulled out a four square.

So yes there are dealerships that still pull that crap. And yes this dealership does have a bad reputation, the only problem was that they were the only nearby dealer that had that model with the options he wanted, so he played their game, but by his rules.

stickguy said:

Snake, why not just sell it? Even as is, disclosing the current issue, if it runs and drives (especially if you can bandaid or ignore the coolant issue) should get snapped up for $1,000-$1,500 or so. Plenty of DIY people or shadetree mechanic flippers out there who could do the work themselves.

Did they tell you exactly what the problem with the cooling system is, and what needs to be done to resolve it?

No I have to take it into my regular mechanic. I might try selling it but I know I am not going to get a lot out of it plus the buyer would either have to tow it or fix the coolant issue before driving off. I not the type of person to hide issues with the car, I guess I could never hack it as a used car salesman. If I get the other guy to tow it away I can get about $300 or so for it. Plus the tags are now expired, if I'm going to get rid of it I don't want to spend another $125 just to keep the registration current.

Maybe I will put out feelers to see if someone is interested.

Yep, that also speaks to the design, that it can blend into traffic at 25 years old. 25 years ago, a 25 year old car looked a lot different compared to a later model.

I own an even older car, which can also function as 90s nostalgia, as I bought it in 1995.

The thing about nostalgia is that seeing something nostalgic would take you back to that era. That car won't do it as it would blend to much into todays traffic. Not like a 1967 Mustang or a 1970 Barracuda would.

One thing I'll have to say about those V8 SHO's, they sounded great on startup.
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,121

One thing I'll have to say about those V8 SHO's, they sounded great on startup.

I had a second gen SHO as a rental once, out of MSP. Had to drive over to western Wisconsin where the customer was.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

edited October 2020

Here's a newer SHO with low miles for less.

Maybe it's just me but I would prefer explorers SHO:

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333
    My Dad had two SHOs when I was a kid. A white over black 1990 Gen 1 SHO 5speed and a green over tan 1993 Gen 2 SHO automatic.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
    Lol green over tan 93.... wasn’t that the only color they sold?

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,121
    driver100 said:

Here's a newer SHO with low miles for less.

Maybe it's just me but I would prefer explorers SHO:

As big as that car is from the outside, the inside is actually quite cramped.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

true. we went to Florida about 11 years ago and got a rental of a just released model 500/Taurus that was surprisingly cramped and claustrophobic for as big a barge as it was.

tjc78 said:

jmonroe1 said:

abacomike said:

jmonroe

Man, does that bring back memories. Sometimes they can find your keys quickly when they want to. Here’s my key story:

During Pontiac introduction week of their 1968’s in late October or early November of 1967, I was going to trade in my ‘66 Bonneville for a new ‘68. There was no good reason for doing this but I made up my mind to buy a new car. I was only married a few months so that made it even more of a stupid decision but like I said I made up my mind. I went to the dealer I bought my ‘66 from but couldn’t come to terms so I went to what used to be another pretty respectable Pontiac dealer. But they changed. When I couldn’t come to terms with that dealer and asked for my keys the salesman goes off to get them. When he came back he said, “we can’t find your keys right now so let’s talk about the car you want some more” as he turns over his work sheet and starts writing down some numbers. I said, “I’m not going to play that game so just give me my damn keys”. He ignored me and continues to write down more numbers. I jumped out of my chair so fast the back of my knees pushed the chair at least 10 feet behind me across the tile floor and falls over making some noise. I’m grabbing the edge of the desk and pulling myself to get around the desk to get at him. He now starts screaming, “OK, Ok, I found them”. I’m now on his side of the desk and he shoves out his left hand and says, “here they are, here they are”. I grab them and put them in my pocket and I said to my relatively new bride, “let’s get the hell out of here”. She is bewildered and said, “what happened” ? I said, “that salesman almost got his lights turned out, let’s go”.

When we got to the car I explained to her what happened. She was shocked that they would do something like that. The more I thought about how quickly the salesman “found my keys” the more I’m convinced he had to have my keys in his left hand all the time because there was no way in hell he could open the desk drawer and get them and close the drawer by the time I got around to his side of the desk. So, when you’re 25 years old you can convince a 40 something year old you’re not going to play that game.

jmonroe

stickguy said:

true. we went to Florida about 11 years ago and got a rental of a just released model 500/Taurus that was surprisingly cramped and claustrophobic for as big a barge as it was.

Smallest driver’s footwell ever. Size 12s do not fit. I can tell you that.

One of my fellow HPDE instructors ordered a 2013 SHO with the $1995 "Performance Package"(upgraded brakes, suspension, lower final drive ratio) as a company car. He took it out on the track at Putnam Park and after just five laps he rolled into the pits with the brakes smoking so bad I thought that they were on fire. Nice car otherwise,

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,499
    edited October 2020
    jmonroe1 said:

So, when you’re 25 years old you can convince a 40 something year old you’re not going to play that game.

Yeah, but you have to have balls, a lost concept these days. I think it's called toxic masculinity now. Shortly it'll just be called masculinity, if it's referred to at all.

Oh boy.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester