Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,081
    I buy a 6-pack of Rolling Rock every summer. It’s my lawnmower beer. Which tells you how often I drink beer these days.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,139
    Loved Rolling Rock when I was a student, that and Kokanee were my go-to beers (I wasn't one who bought beer simply based on %, unlike nearly all of my friends). I recall a beer in Vienna called "Villacher" that was good, never seen it here. I also remember amazing cider in Prague, and cheap, too - I'm more into hard cider these days, on the somewhat rare occasions where I drink.
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,543
    ab348 said:

I buy a 6-pack of Rolling Rock every summer. It’s my lawnmower beer. Which tells you how often I drink beer these days.

You’re either not cutting your grass often enough or you don’t buy enough beer to get you through the lawnmower season.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    edited October 2020
    bwia said:

Last night a 2-minute freak storm blew down three mature trees that missed our roof and deck by a few centimeters. No property damage but it will cost a few shillings to cut and haul away.

I have about a million cones from the big pine tree near the house scattered across the porch, deck and driveway. This is the same tree that shed a 12” limb on the roof last winter. I’m beginning to think it doesn’t like me.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,513
    old pines when they start going tend to do that. Nasty things too with all the sap. Might want to bite the bullet and take it down before it ends up in your living room!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    jmonroe1 said:

ab348 said:

You’re either not cutting your grass often enough or you don’t buy enough beer to get you through the lawnmower season.

jmonroe

Real men enjoy a good whiskey with the aroma of freshly cut grass.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

jmonroe1 said:

ab348 said:

jmonroe

Chicago must have some unique whiskeys. I never had whiskey that had the aroma of freshly cut grass. I don’t think I’d like that stuff.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • ventureventure Member Posts: 2,872

bwia said:

Last night a 2-minute freak storm blew down three mature trees that missed our roof and deck by a few centimeters. No property damage but it will cost a few shillings to cut and haul away.

I have about a million cones from the big pine tree near the house scattered across the porch, deck and driveway. This is the same tree that shed a 12” limb on the roof last winter. I’m beginning to think it doesn’t like me.

I was at a friends house yesterday and there are acorns everywhere. You can't walk without stepping on them.

He said he was thinking about getting a few of the oak trees in front of his house cut down because of the acorns. I told him he just needs more squirrels. :s

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

jmonroe1 said:

ab348 said:

jmonroe

So true, I’ve seen a few of those guys laying face down on their lawns.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

venture said:

bwia said:

I was at a friends house yesterday and there are acorns everywhere. You can't walk without stepping on them.

He said he was thinking about getting a few of the oak trees in front of his house cut down because of the acorns. I told him he just needs more squirrels. :s
    Ain’t that the truth. The squirrels here chew the last 9 inches of the branches off my oaks so they can gather the nuts off the ground. Makes quite the clatter when you try to mow over all the brush they leave. No nuts though.

jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe1 said:

ab348 said:

jmonroe

Chicago must have some unique whiskeys. I never had whiskey that had the aroma of freshly cut grass. I don’t think I’d like that stuff.

jmonroe

Well if you ever get to Chicago look me up and I'll buy you a shot of Malort.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760

venture said:

tjc78 said:

Michaell said:

abacomike said:

jmonroe1 said:

venture said:

Well...the roofers showed up at 7 am and worked until a little after 4 pm. They got everything ready for shingles starting tomorrow morning.

They even cleaned out the gutters!!!

We had our roof replaced in the middle of June 2018. It was rediculously humid that day and they started at about 7:30 AM. The weather was perfect up until that day. We have a typical two story colonial with a low side family room on one side. Since it was so humid the crew of 5 stopped on the first day at about 3 PM, otherwise they said they could have finished in one day so they came back for a couple hours the next day to finish up.

I felt bad for them having to be out in the heat that first day and insisted that they took a couple breaks to get into the cool garage and have some water. I had beer in the fridge too but I wasn’t offering that until they finished on the first day. When they finished on the first day I ask them if the wanted a beer. Only one guy took me up on my offer the others just wanted more water. After a couple swigs of beer the guy said, “any beer would be good right now but this Yuengling beer is REALLY GOOD right now”. That made one of the other guys ask for one too. If there was ever a day made for beer drinking after a roofing job that was the day. I decided to have one too and I only watched for a little while. 😁

jmonroe

I agree that Yuengling Beer is one of the best lager beers made in the USA. There is a brewery in Tampa and of course in PA.

Every so often my friends and I have lunch at an authentic German restaurant. We always order one of dark beers they have on tap. To me, KOSTRITZER DARK LAGER and FRANZISKANER DARK are their best. Once you taste beer like those mentioned above, every other beer is just OK. These are terrific and delicious.
    I read an article that said Yuengling will be distributed out to Colorado. Looking forward to having a taste.
    Wait .. what? You can’t get Yuengling there? Terrible, terrible place :)
    Apparently we cannot get it here, but we do have better things.
    No you don't.
    I beg your pardon?

Owned by Anheuser Busch.

(not that there is anything wrong with that)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

edited October 2020
    kyfdx said:

venture said:

tjc78 said:

Michaell said:

abacomike said:

jmonroe1 said:

venture said:

Well...the roofers showed up at 7 am and worked until a little after 4 pm. They got everything ready for shingles starting tomorrow morning.

They even cleaned out the gutters!!!

We had our roof replaced in the middle of June 2018. It was rediculously humid that day and they started at about 7:30 AM. The weather was perfect up until that day. We have a typical two story colonial with a low side family room on one side. Since it was so humid the crew of 5 stopped on the first day at about 3 PM, otherwise they said they could have finished in one day so they came back for a couple hours the next day to finish up.

I felt bad for them having to be out in the heat that first day and insisted that they took a couple breaks to get into the cool garage and have some water. I had beer in the fridge too but I wasn’t offering that until they finished on the first day. When they finished on the first day I ask them if the wanted a beer. Only one guy took me up on my offer the others just wanted more water. After a couple swigs of beer the guy said, “any beer would be good right now but this Yuengling beer is REALLY GOOD right now”. That made one of the other guys ask for one too. If there was ever a day made for beer drinking after a roofing job that was the day. I decided to have one too and I only watched for a little while. 😁

jmonroe

I agree that Yuengling Beer is one of the best lager beers made in the USA. There is a brewery in Tampa and of course in PA.

Every so often my friends and I have lunch at an authentic German restaurant. We always order one of dark beers they have on tap. To me, KOSTRITZER DARK LAGER and FRANZISKANER DARK are their best. Once you taste beer like those mentioned above, every other beer is just OK. These are terrific and delicious.
    I read an article that said Yuengling will be distributed out to Colorado. Looking forward to having a taste.
    Wait .. what? You can’t get Yuengling there? Terrible, terrible place :)
    Apparently we cannot get it here, but we do have better things.
    No you don't.
    I beg your pardon?

Owned by Anheuser Busch.

(not that there is anything wrong with that)
    The only issue I have with Goose Island is that back in the 90s they bought out a brewery in Elmhurst, IL called Baderbraugh which was considered one of the best beers in the world and they closed it down.

Another real good brewery here is called Two Brothers. They have some real good beers, maybe it's because its next to a particle accelerator, I dont know.

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

All I can say is that I agree 100% with Mr. Baruth's analysis.

Every once in a while, I forget that the vast majority of humanity since the advent of organized farming has lived as subjects to a greater power beyond their ability to contest or question.

And then I read something like this, and I remember.

By the time my son is my age, the sentiment you read above will be the common one. The hell with liberty or freedom or self-determination. Give us soma, sex, a comfortable abdication of moral authority, a billion YouTube channels and all the distractions we cannot handle. It isn't that Huxley was right and Orwell was wrong; it's that Orwell was right about the ends and Huxley was right about the means.
    - Jack Baruth

Best post I’ve seen in a while. Thanks.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    Beer...Rolling Rock...the preferred beer in college (usually an upgrade to the PBR I drank after making a chunk of change bar tending on a Saturday night). Now...Yuengling....not a fan. Anything xxxxlite....not a fan. Too many good local brews around here to drink any of that stuff. My new “go to” place for beer is www.municipal.beer

Modelo is another favorite.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,418
    fintail said:

Loved Rolling Rock when I was a student, that and Kokanee were my go-to beers (I wasn't one who bought beer simply based on %, unlike nearly all of my friends). I recall a beer in Vienna called "Villacher" that was good, never seen it here. I also remember amazing cider in Prague, and cheap, too - I'm more into hard cider these days, on the somewhat rare occasions where I drink.

I LOVE Cider. Last summer when we went to Canada on vacation, there were so many different types of delicious craft cider.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Eyeball update (for those who care). Not sure if the surgery went well or not. The Surgeon thinks so. But, when they tested me the day after surgery, the nurse (optometrist?) who tested me before the retinal surgeon came in, said something disconcerting while testing me.

I am not able to see the eye chart the day after the surgery. Now, I’m not sure if I’m supposed to be able to see it or not. But, when I asked her what she thought after the exam, she said she wasn’t optimistic. About what? She deferred to the surgeon, who subsequently came in and said the surgery went well.

Hmmmmm......

Anyway, still not able to see much out of the repaired eye. They put in a gas bubble to hold the retina in place. Those who have had this done know what that means. Head down the majority of the day. Sleep with nose pointing to floor (as if you can sleep that way).

I’m pretty cranky because I haven’t slept in two days.

The positive side, I have good vision in my “good eye”. Jury is still out on my other eye.

So, total number of surgeries on the “bad eye” is up to 5. Surgeon said he wouldn’t attempt another one if this one fails.

Maybe start practicing on becoming a pirate!

nyccarguy said:

fintail said:

I LOVE Cider. Last summer when we went to Canada on vacation, there were so many different types of delicious craft cider.
    There are a few orchards around here that make wines and craft ciders.

All this talk about beer has me thinking about this beer based drink we fell in love with in Paris a few years ago. I believe it's called a Monaco. It's a little Grenadine sauce, 50% beer and 50% Sprite (or any like beverage). It's very good and we make it a lot on family get togethers.

I’ll be mowing the lawn later this morning. So that means beer for lunch!

TGIF.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,012

All this talk about beer has me thinking about this beer based drink we fell in love with in Paris a few years ago. I believe it's called a Monaco. It's a little Grenadine sauce, 50% beer and 50% Sprite (or any like beverage). It's very good and we make it a lot on family get togethers.

Huh. My dad used to mix beer and 7-up and called it a "shandie" (with him having an Irish background, I suppose that makes sense). No grenadine, however.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• dad23dad23 Member Posts: 870
    stickguy said:

TGIF.

What...no cup holder on the mower???

Eyeball update (for those who care). Not sure if the surgery went well or not. The Surgeon thinks so. But, when they tested me the day after surgery, the nurse (optometrist?) who tested me before the retinal surgeon came in, said something disconcerting while testing me.

I am not able to see the eye chart the day after the surgery. Now, I’m not sure if I’m supposed to be able to see it or not. But, when I asked her what she thought after the exam, she said she wasn’t optimistic. About what? She deferred to the surgeon, who subsequently came in and said the surgery went well.

Hmmmmm......

Anyway, still not able to see much out of the repaired eye. They put in a gas bubble to hold the retina in place. Those who have had this done know what that means. Head down the majority of the day. Sleep with nose pointing to floor (as if you can sleep that way).

The positive side, I have good vision in my “good eye”. Jury is still out on my other eye.

So, total number of surgeries on the “bad eye” is up to 5. Surgeon said he wouldn’t attempt another one if this one fails.

A little trivia here, most pirates wore an eye patch to block light from reaching the eye. This would prepare the eye for low light vision. When they would go below deck where light was very limited they would take off the eye patch and be able to see very well in low light conditions. This proved valuable for raids and battles.

dad23 said:

stickguy said:

TGIF.

It’s a manually propelled (me being the man) push mower. Not some lazy guy rider.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348
    stickguy said:

It’s a manually propelled (me being the man) push mower. Not some lazy guy rider.

Feel free at any time to mow my 2.5 acres with your push mower; I might even give you TWO beers.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

My 1/3 of an acre is enough. At least it’s flat.

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258

Hmmmmm......

Optometrist was/is an idiot! The ophthalmologist is the one who is the expert.

In any case, you remain in my prayers, GG!

2021 Genesis G90

Let me be the first to wish our Canadian poster buddies a happy Thanksgiving. Once again you guys jumped the gun. Yinz need better calendars up there. :o

jmonroe
    And we find the US Thanksgiving being late in November quite strange, since up here by then it is often snowing and freezing, and it is a month or more after the last crops have been harvested.

But thanks for the well-wishes!

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    edited October 2020
    Celebrating the harvest comes earlier in the North, as does winter.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    jmonroe1 said:

Let me be the first to wish our Canadian poster buddies a happy Thanksgiving. Once again you guys jumped the gun. Yinz need better calendars up there. :o

jmonroe

Oh it's the same calendars, just with the exchange rate it makes everything earlier

• omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702

Hmmmmm......

Glad you're back and posting again! Good to hear that your surgeon is optimistic and hope your recovery goes well. Lack of sleep is a problem but like you say, who can sleep in that position? When you say that you're not yet seeing much out of the affected eye, is it because everything looks so blurry right now? With many weeks of recovery to go we'll hope and pray for the best outcome.

Five surgeries on the affected eye is brutal. My older brother has had two. But your description of "pretty cranky" seems much more restrained than when I get like that! Good job man.
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348

Hmmmmm......

That must be incredibly frustrating. You remain in my thoughts and prayers.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• dad23dad23 Member Posts: 870
    stickguy said:

dad23 said:

stickguy said:

TGIF.

Bud in a can, has to be the worst beer ever. I can’t do it.

Thanks guys...it's all good. There are worse things that could happen in the grand scheme of things. Hell...I can see well enough out of one eye to BS with all of you here.
    abacomike said:

Hmmmmm......

Optometrist was/is an idiot! The ophthalmologist is the one who is the expert.

In any case, you remain in my prayers, GG!
    Mike...no disagreement. The more I think about it, the less stock I put in her advice (optometrist/nurse). Still, unnerved me a bit.

The gas bubble that's in my eye to stabilize the retina is what's causing the lack of vision (according to the convo I had with the surgeon yesterday). That said, when's the last time you heard a Dr or Surgeon admit they screwed up? Matter of fact, when's the last time you heard me say I screwed up? ;)
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760

Don't know if you remember @Claires who used to be a moderator, here.
    But, this brewery is partially owned by her two children:
    https://www.skeletonkeybrewery.com/

(Chicago area)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx said:

(Chicago area)
    Sounds familiar, might have had some of theirs at one time or another but can't say for certain.

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    edited October 2020

Hmmmmm......

@graphicguy, the gas bubble placed in the eyeball stabilizes the “globe” until you make more vitreous fluid and it replaces the bubble. I assume you had a vitrectomy (removal of vitreous) along with reattachment of the retinal tear/detachment. The bubble is the cause of the “blacked out” vision in that eye. Once the bubble is absorbed, vision is restored. It takes weeks, or more (in my case), for that to happen. When I went through that I felt like I was looking through a dense aquarium, and the water was being drained slowly, as the bubble was being resolved, until I could see more and more from the eye. In general, I found it unpleasant to try and read or watch tv. I subscribed to AUDIBLE and had books read to me. I got claustrophobic and felt better sitting outside in the shade, just relaxing, listening to music, and chatting with visitors. I know the feelings at times can be quite disconcerting, but rest-assured it too will pass. Most likely, you will get most, if not not your total vision back - I did. Best to you for a fast and complete recovery.

Oh, and doctors cannot give guarantees but from experience, they can give appropriate prognoses. Not all, but most are forthcoming with their surgical results.

kyfdx said:

(Chicago area)
    Sounds familiar, might have had some of theirs at one time or another but can't say for certain.
    Looks like a cool place. I love breweries. This whole pandemic really put a damper on the only fun thing we usually did on weekends (visiting various microbreweries).

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975

Hmmmmm......

A little trivia here, most pirates wore an eye patch to block light from reaching the eye. This would prepare the eye for low light vision. When they would go below deck where light was very limited they would take off the eye patch and be able to see very well in low light conditions. This proved valuable for raids and battles.
    I thought the eye patch was to make them look tougher :p

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe

Thank you....count on you to think of us....very nice. It was better other years, Thanksgiving here in October and in Florida in November. Maybe we will celebrate U.S. Thanksgiving too, can't let down our U.S. friends.

Celebrating the harvest comes earlier in the North, as does winter.

Exactly, and though it is a major holiday here it isn't nearly as big a holiday as it is in the U.S.A.

Thanks guys...it's all good. There are worse things that could happen in the grand scheme of things. Hell...I can see well enough out of one eye to BS with all of you here.

....are you saying it doesn't take much to keep up with us? :(

carnaught said:

Hmmmmm......

Oh, and doctors cannot give guarantees but from experience, they can give appropriate prognoses. Not all, but most are forthcoming with their surgical results.

After watching about 350 Grey's Anatomys and now into season 2 of Chicago Med I have learned to be wary if I hear the words "I am so sorry for your loss", that must be the first thing they teach med students to say. That is the standard line, and I am sure you get a higher mark depending on how sincerely you can say it.

Another thing that I wonder about is all the extra conversations that are going on about all kinds of things, while a guys abdomen is open on the table and doctors and nurses are running around trying to keep the guy alive. :)

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    edited October 2020
    BUMP
    venture said:

Yikes! What a mess. We've had two trees come down like that. No fun. Good luck with the clean up.

Urban trees are certainly a mixed blessing, not just for property damage but (up here at least and no doubt elsewhere) power outages caused by falling limbs or entire trees. We had one here earlier this week in my area just for that reason.

Back around 2002 one lost a large limb in an ice storm and grazed the '78 Delta 88 I had at the time. City paid for the damage since it was their tree.