Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Real-World Trade-In Values

Comments

• rovangstarovangsta Member Posts: 5
    nyccarguy said:

rovangsta said:

Hi - looking to get rid of my 2018 Honda Civic Si Sedan lease. 18k miles, black paint, a few door dings and a repaired front bumper after it was hit and run.

What would be the best way to do this? Vroom/Carvana etc or trade in to a dealer? What could I expect to get out of it?

On a side note, what are your thoughts on the Si overall?
    I've loved the car for the most part. It would be perfect if it had come with 25 or 50 more horsepower, which I would solve with a tune if I'd planned to keep it after the lease ends. It was the best value for new smallish sporty cars by far when I bought it, the combo of the performance upgrades (more power, suspension, better transmission, etc) as well as the comfort features offered (moonroof, upgraded stereo) over the regular Civic for only a couple thousand was incredible. It is really fun to drive especially on twisty roads. It gets great gas mileage, averaging about 31 even though I am not conservative with the throttle. And it is pretty big for its class so we have plenty of room for a weekend away with our toddler, dog, and all our crap.

However, I HATE THE PAINT. Black is hard to take care of anyway, but this thing is full of chips and dings from normal city/suburban usage over the last 2 years I've had it. It's also fairly loud on the highway but that's to be expected. Only other complaints are that the infotainment is kind of crappy but they've fixed several aspects of it in later year models.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349
    @qbrozen : Any ideas on how much the dealer has in this M2?
    Thanks!

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,935
    oh boy. Lots going on here. Handshaker is a hit. 2 owners is a hit. Miles are on the higher side for one of these. And how the heck did they put on 10k in 6 mos during covid?

Even if they lost their minds and overpaid, they would (or should) not have broken $36k on it. I'll let you figure out how much profit they should earn on it.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Thanks!

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,790
    qbrozen said:

oh boy. Lots going on here. Handshaker is a hit. 2 owners is a hit. Miles are on the higher side for one of these. And how the heck did they put on 10k in 6 mos during covid?

Even if they lost their minds and overpaid, they would (or should) not have broken $36k on it. I'll let you figure out how much profit they should earn on it.

Cannonball attempts (yes, multiple). :p:D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    I've heard that the UCM overpays for cars, so no surprise. I'd pay $38k, no more.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    qbrozen said:

I've put at least that much on my truck in the past 6 months during Covid

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

nyccarguy said:

qbrozen said:

But aren’t you doing deliveries? Pretty sure that’s not the case in an M2. Plus, they were putting far fewer miles on up until 4/2020 and then it jumped all of a sudden. Could be change in job situation, I suppose, and what ultimately led to them dumping it so soon.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

qbrozen said:

nyccarguy said:

qbrozen said:

But aren’t you doing deliveries? Pretty sure that’s not the case in an M2. Plus, they were putting far fewer miles on up until 4/2020 and then it jumped all of a sudden. Could be change in job situation, I suppose, and what ultimately led to them dumping it so soon.
    Yes. Deliveries, commuting, hockey...

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,517
    qbrozen said:

nyccarguy said:

qbrozen said:

It happens. some years back I changed jobs and went from 3 miles each way, to 45. That piled up miles on my Accord real quick.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    OK Q, hit me up!

2007 Lexus ES 350. 147,000 miles! Cleaner than the board of health. Charcoal/Black. New tires 1000 miles ago. BABIED since birth. California car most of it's life. All Service Records. Every available option except Mark Levinson. What do you think? No flaws!
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    In today's market, that will probably be worth more now than it was three years ago.

OK Q, hit me up!

2007 Lexus ES 350. 147,000 miles! Cleaner than the board of health. Charcoal/Black. New tires 1000 miles ago. BABIED since birth. California car most of it's life. All Service Records. Every available option except Mark Levinson. What do you think? No flaws!

You selling it yourself? I would ask $7995. Trade is going to be $5k tops.

• Fordfan2476Fordfan2476 Member Posts: 10
    I am looking for a trade in value on a 2004 Mercury Monterrey zip 73113. Matedor red Average Condition AC blows hot sometimes cracked windshield. Tires are 7 yrs old Michelin with 50% tread. Interior has a few small stains cloth seats. no dents. single owner no dings on carfax 70,000+ miles. 2 keys. engine and transmission and car run fine.Convenience package tilt, cruise 3 zone ac. manual ac controls. power windows locks cd cassette am/fm radio. non smoker. thanks for your help
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    qbrozen said:

OK Q, hit me up!

You selling it yourself? I would ask $7995. Trade is going to be $5k tops.
    OK, we are in total agreement! Thanks!

I am looking for a trade in value on a 2004 Mercury Monterrey zip 73113. Matedor red Average Condition AC blows hot sometimes cracked windshield. Tires are 7 yrs old Michelin with 50% tread. Interior has a few small stains cloth seats. no dents. single owner no dings on carfax 70,000+ miles. 2 keys. engine and transmission and car run fine.Convenience package tilt, cruise 3 zone ac. manual ac controls. power windows locks cd cassette am/fm radio. non smoker. thanks for your help

Probably get $500.

wow that's a little lower than I thought it might fetch. I've seen higher miles listed for 6700. I figured maybe 1500-2000. I think it would make a decent grocery getter for someone, but know that it's an older not in demand appliance with some issues.
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,387
    Retail and wholesale are two different things.

If you sold it privately you could probably ask $4k-$5k.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
    I hear you. It it was mine, I would try for a private sale.
    edited October 2020

wow that's a little lower than I thought it might fetch. I've seen higher miles listed for 6700. I figured maybe 1500-2000. I think it would make a decent grocery getter for someone, but know that it's an older not in demand appliance with some issues.

You’ve seen a 17-yr-old discontinued and unloved Ford minivan for $6700?? That’s ... disturbing. That seller needs hospitalization.

And, no, I don’t think you’d get $4k with so much wrong with it.

qbrozen said:

Probably get $500.
    You are in quite the generous mood @qbrozen ;)

nyccarguy said:

qbrozen said:

Probably get $500.
    You are in quite the generous mood @qbrozen ;)
    Well, ya know, $500 always seems to be the minimum they’ll give. About $350 scrap value and a $150 “feel good” add. ;b

qbrozen said:

You’ve seen a 17-yr-old discontinued and unloved Ford minivan for $6700?? That’s ... disturbing. That seller needs hospitalization.

It was on Autotrader in the US Somewhere. I put unlimited miles away from my zip since there aren't many of these still on the road or originally sold. It was at a dealer. I would have to look to see where. I think some dealers had 200-300 thousand miles and wanted maybe 2-4000 if my memory serves me correct.
    qbrozen said:

I was thinking maybe get 1500-2000 trade in based on book values. I know that books dont buy cars, but know that it would be in the ballpark for some cash buyers

qbrozen said:

It was on Autotrader in the US Somewhere. I put unlimited miles away from my zip since there aren't many of these still on the road or originally sold. It was at a dealer. I would have to look to see where. I think some dealers had 200-300 thousand miles and wanted maybe 2-4000 if my memory serves me correct.
    A Toyota dealer in Columbia, Mo had it listed on ----trader at like $66XX
    they are selling for under $1k at auction, so they really have no need to overpay on a trade. And, of course, most dealers you are buying a new car from aren't going to keep that on their lot.

I know it will be sent off somewhere else. lol. I will report back with what the offer or offers come in at. thanks for the your firsthand knowledge of the auction numbers.
  • steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    >> aren't many of these still on the road or originally sold.
    There's a message in there somewhere. You'd have no problem finding Siennas that old, or Caravans, for that matter. The Monterey is rare but a copy of the Windstar, which are a little more plentiful.

Dealer asking prices for old sleds like that are often ridiculous because, well, used-car dealers, and because they might have to pony up on a worthless trade. 15-year-old used cars on dealer lots are about everything but the car in question. And no matter what, $6 for an 04 Monterey is a joke.

This van is worthless on trade. Private sale, whatever you can get... clean, no crack, everything working including AC, might see high $2s if it's really nice... pandemic pricing... if you look at enough old cars, most of them are rats, so a nice one really stands out. This model was unloved for a reason, though. I personally wouldn't buy it without AC, not in OK city. Lots of families in need of transportation....miles are low, list for $1900, hope & pray?

[Had to look up the ZIP. As Terry used to say, do I look like the post office?]
    cheers -mathias
    steine13 said:

There's a message in there somewhere. You'd have no problem finding Siennas that old, or Caravans, for that matter. The Monterey is rare but a copy of the Windstar, which are a little more plentiful.

Dealer asking prices for old sleds like that are often ridiculous because, well, used-car dealers, and because they might have to pony up on a worthless trade. 15-year-old used cars on dealer lots are about everything but the car in question. And no matter what, $6 for an 04 Monterey is a joke.

This van is worthless on trade. Private sale, whatever you can get... clean, no crack, everything working including AC, might see high $2s if it's really nice... pandemic pricing... if you look at enough old cars, most of them are rats, so a nice one really stands out. This model was unloved for a reason, though. I personally wouldn't buy it without AC, not in OK city. Lots of families in need of transportation....miles are low, list for $1900, hope & pray?

cheers -mathias

steine13 said:

cheers -mathias

Got $2000 trade in on the Mercury. Invoice pricing per dealer on new vehicle and other online resources. No financing. cheapest in the state after getting several quotes. Handled both transactions separately. 199 doc fee no number shuffling that I could tell.
    Congrats. They must have had some back door incentive to help. Enjoy!

Maybe I missed it, did you tell us what you bouught?

edited November 2020
    qbrozen said:

Congrats. They must have had some back door incentive to help. Enjoy!

Maybe I missed it, did you tell us what you bouught?

Family member bought a base 20 Lincoln Nautilus.
    44740 MSRP
    195 roof rails
    695 paint color
    2065 equipment package
    42606 price
    2500 rebate
    2000 trade
    199 doc fee
    38305 OTD not including taxes
    Did they get a decent deal?
    The dealer got most all of holdback due to it being a very recent build date and it just shipped to dealer within the last 10 days. I’ve been watching for it to arrive.
    The buyer was pleased anyhow.

Everybody is happy. That’s the best deal.

• SDRCARTSDRCART Member Posts: 4
    I’m looking for real world value on my 2018 Toyota Camry SE Hybrid: silver, 14,800 miles, very minor front bumper scratches, clean interior, no accidents or paintwork. Zip is 92101. Lease is up in two weeks – what are your recommendations for selling it?
    SDRCART said:

I’m looking for real world value on my 2018 Toyota Camry SE Hybrid: silver, 14,800 miles, very minor front bumper scratches, clean interior, no accidents or paintwork. Zip is 92101. Lease is up in two weeks – what are your recommendations for selling it?

What is the residual? Trade value is about $20k. Maybe you can get $21k or more from Vroom/Carvana/Shift/Algo.

qbrozen said:

SDRCART said:

What is the residual? Trade value is about $20k. Maybe you can get $21k or more from Vroom/Carvana/Shift/Algo.
    Residual is $16,540
    SDRCART said:

qbrozen said:

SDRCART said:

Residual is $16,540
    Well, that is quite a bit of equity you have there. So sell to one of those places I mentioned, or, if you like it, buy it at a bargain price.

qbrozen said:

SDRCART said:

qbrozen said:

SDRCART said:

Residual is $16,540
    Well, that is quite a bit of equity you have there. So sell to one of those places I mentioned, or, if you like it, buy it at a bargain price.
    Vroom and Carvana offered almost the same. I’ve not done business with either company before, so am trying to decide which offer to accept. Any suggestions? My concern is that after they take the car, how long will they take to process the paperwork and send me a check? I don’t want to spend hours on hold calling to get answers while not knowing if the leaseholder has been paid on time.
    edited November 2020
    SDRCART said:

qbrozen said:

SDRCART said:

qbrozen said:

SDRCART said:

Residual is $16,540
    Vroom and Carvana offered almost the same. I’ve not done business with either company before, so am trying to decide which offer to accept. Any suggestions? My concern is that after they take the car, how long will they take to process the paperwork and send me a check? I don’t want to spend hours on hold calling to get answers while not knowing if the leaseholder has been paid on time.
    I have used both. They are very quick to settle. Like a few days. What is their offer?

Carvana gives you a check on the spot when they pick up the car.

And they paid off my lease within a couple days.

qbrozen said:

SDRCART said:

qbrozen said:

SDRCART said:

qbrozen said:

SDRCART said:

Residual is $16,540
    I have used both. They are very quick to settle. Like a few days. What is their offer?
    Offers were: Vroom $19,915, Carvana $19,719 and KBB $19,929
    edited November 2020
    Hello, @qbrozen,
    I have a 'customer' -- yet another german postdoc -- need to find a good acronym for these folks -- so I'll probably drop a few requests here and there the next couple of weeks.
    One immediate offering is a 2012 Ford Fusion SEL V6, black over black cloth with a roof, good shape with a few light scratches, Cooper tires with tread, 150k, clean and obviously maintained. Asking $4,800 which strikes me as high -- bought MY '12 Fusion, leather but no roof, really nice shape and 94k, from the same dealer and the price was $5,200 asking, just before the virus hit.
    Has the market changed that much? And what's it worth?

As an aside, next to it is a 2004(!) Chrysler Concorde that looks totally in the wrapper. Super clean car, 106k, screams 'we winter in Florida since we learned it's a verb' ...no price on it...until I popped the hood and saw it has the 2.7. Ewwwwww. I'd pay $1200 for that car and plan my next move.

My buyer says he's in no hurry, I told him yes you are, I ain't looking for cars when it's negative five degrees socialist and i have to shovel snow off the VIN to get to it...Europeans don't get our weather. 73 yesterday, rode close to 50 miles with a friend from work. Glorious! Now back to the indoor trainer...

Thanks in advance as always! -mathias
    that might be market, but no way I would pay that much for the Fusion with those miles!

edited November 2020
    The next one in the pipeline is a very clean, one-owner '12 Cruze LT, auto, 1.4 turbo, 180k -- did not sell at the $3,900 asking price at the VW dealer, now will try its luck at the low-end lot... I'd have no problem with that if it were the 1.8 but the turbo scares me with those miles... and that's a $2k car on its best day even then. How bad is the COVID premium really?
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    I think we've seen a decline in the sky-high trade-in values some of us took advantage of a few months back, but I'm thinking it will take a few months for dealers and auction houses to flush out the inventory they acquired at those prices. By then, we will be into tax refund season.
    steine13 said:

Hello, @qbrozen,
    I have a 'customer' -- yet another german postdoc -- need to find a good acronym for these folks -- so I'll probably drop a few requests here and there the next couple of weeks.
    One immediate offering is a 2012 Ford Fusion SEL V6, black over black cloth with a roof, good shape with a few light scratches, Cooper tires with tread, 150k, clean and obviously maintained. Asking $4,800 which strikes me as high -- bought MY '12 Fusion, leather but no roof, really nice shape and 94k, from the same dealer and the price was $5,200 asking, just before the virus hit.
    Has the market changed that much? And what's it worth?

As an aside, next to it is a 2004(!) Chrysler Concorde that looks totally in the wrapper. Super clean car, 106k, screams 'we winter in Florida since we learned it's a verb' ...no price on it...until I popped the hood and saw it has the 2.7. Ewwwwww. I'd pay $1200 for that car and plan my next move.

My buyer says he's in no hurry, I told him yes you are, I ain't looking for cars when it's negative five degrees socialist and i have to shovel snow off the VIN to get to it...Europeans don't get our weather. 73 yesterday, rode close to 50 miles with a friend from work. Glorious! Now back to the indoor trainer...

Thanks in advance as always! -mathias

Is that fusion fwd or awd?

Ah, sorry... AWD didn't enter my head... I'm reasonably sure it's FWD; I saw no stickers and even the VIN doesn't tell for sure; it's 3FAHP0JG8CR323703.
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    So how far in the future should I mark my calendar for $130K Audi RS6's depreciating to around $30-$35K for us mere mortals. Right now stories are out and about on social media that some dealers got greedy and reallocated allocations for customers to "higher bidders." Dealers adding huge "markup" over MSRP.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    >> for us mere mortals.
    I'd predict that any owner of a $130k Audi will feel pretty 'mortal' when the warranty is up.

Nearer my God to thee -- Audi: The four rings spell DooooM!