Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,031
    venture said:

Finally.

Looks lovely.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,562

Eyeball update (for those who care). Not sure if the surgery went well or not. The Surgeon thinks so. But, when they tested me the day after surgery, the nurse (optometrist?) who tested me before the retinal surgeon came in, said something disconcerting while testing me.

I am not able to see the eye chart the day after the surgery. Now, I’m not sure if I’m supposed to be able to see it or not. But, when I asked her what she thought after the exam, she said she wasn’t optimistic. About what? She deferred to the surgeon, who subsequently came in and said the surgery went well.

Hmmmmm......

Anyway, still not able to see much out of the repaired eye. They put in a gas bubble to hold the retina in place. Those who have had this done know what that means. Head down the majority of the day. Sleep with nose pointing to floor (as if you can sleep that way).

I’m pretty cranky because I haven’t slept in two days.

The positive side, I have good vision in my “good eye”. Jury is still out on my other eye.

So, total number of surgeries on the “bad eye” is up to 5. Surgeon said he wouldn’t attempt another one if this one fails.

Maybe start practicing on becoming a pirate!

Sorry to hear that there might be problems. I’m impressed by how you’re taking this. If someone botched my eye surgery I’d be throwing furniture and tearing the sheets. Hope that things improve.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    stickguy said:

kyfdx said:

All this talk about beer has me thinking about this beer based drink we fell in love with in Paris a few years ago. I believe it's called a Monaco. It's a little Grenadine sauce, 50% beer and 50% Sprite (or any like beverage). It's very good and we make it a lot on family get togethers.

Don't know if you remember @Claires who used to be a moderator, here.
    But, this brewery is partially owned by her two children:
    https://www.skeletonkeybrewery.com/

(Chicago area)
    Sounds familiar, might have had some of theirs at one time or another but can't say for certain.
    Looks like a cool place. I love breweries. This whole pandemic really put a damper on the only fun thing we usually did on weekends (visiting various microbreweries).
    Most of the ones in our area have big, socially distanced patios. If they don't, we don't go.

But, the weather will kill that pretty soon... :(

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,466

Thanks guys...it's all good. There are worse things that could happen in the grand scheme of things. Hell...I can see well enough out of one eye to BS with all of you here.

Strange what brings out the truth in a guy. Stay positive, we’re behind you all the way. Damn sure don’t want to be in front of you the way you tell us how you drive. B)

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,097
    There are a number of good cider makers in this region as well, maybe expected due to the significant apple production in WA. One that comes to mind is Tieton Cider Works, possibly found more in eastern WA, but I think I have seen it on the west side too. When I was a kid, my aunt and uncle lived in Tieton and at one time had an orchard, so it catches my eye.

I've never been a huge beer fan - I lean towards the lighter or more pale end of the taste spectrum.
    nyccarguy said:

I LOVE Cider. Last summer when we went to Canada on vacation, there were so many different types of delicious craft cider.

edited October 2020

All this talk about beer has me thinking about this beer based drink we fell in love with in Paris a few years ago. I believe it's called a Monaco. It's a little Grenadine sauce, 50% beer and 50% Sprite (or any like beverage). It's very good and we make it a lot on family get togethers.

My beer preference are pretty pedestrian. All I require is that it’s cold.

I do have fond memories of the first beer I ever tasted back in the 60s. Old Stegmaier from Pennsylvania which was carried by some of the local gin mills that would ignore that the neighborhood teens were sending the same bum in to buy 3 quarts for a dollar in return for keeping one for himself.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

Eyeball update (for those who care). Not sure if the surgery went well or not. The Surgeon thinks so. But, when they tested me the day after surgery, the nurse (optometrist?) who tested me before the retinal surgeon came in, said something disconcerting while testing me.

I am not able to see the eye chart the day after the surgery. Now, I’m not sure if I’m supposed to be able to see it or not. But, when I asked her what she thought after the exam, she said she wasn’t optimistic. About what? She deferred to the surgeon, who subsequently came in and said the surgery went well.

Hmmmmm......

Anyway, still not able to see much out of the repaired eye. They put in a gas bubble to hold the retina in place. Those who have had this done know what that means. Head down the majority of the day. Sleep with nose pointing to floor (as if you can sleep that way).

The positive side, I have good vision in my “good eye”. Jury is still out on my other eye.

So, total number of surgeries on the “bad eye” is up to 5. Surgeon said he wouldn’t attempt another one if this one fails.

A little trivia here, most pirates wore an eye patch to block light from reaching the eye. This would prepare the eye for low light vision. When they would go below deck where light was very limited they would take off the eye patch and be able to see very well in low light conditions. This proved valuable for raids and battles.
    Pilots of nuclear bombers employed the same trick except they kept one eye covered in case the flash of an exploding nuke would blind them, they had a spare eye to fly the plane.

venture said:

Finally.

Nice house.

venture said:

Finally.

Nice house.
    I agree but I see a few nail pops on that new roof. :D

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • ventureventure Member Posts: 2,860

I do have fond memories of the first beer I ever tasted back in the 60s. Old Stegmaier from Pennsylvania which was carried by some of the local gin mills that would ignore that the neighborhood teens were sending the same bum in to buy 3 quarts for a dollar in return for keeping one for himself.

Man! We did the exact same thing.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

ab348 said:

venture said:

Finally.

Looks lovely.
    Thanks

venture said:

Finally.

Nice house.
    Thanks. Other than the garage, we hardly use any of the house in the picture.

The bonus room over the garage my wife uses to store her junk stuff. It could be a 5th bedroom.

First floor is the dining room and living room. Use them about 3 times a year. Upstairs is my son and daughters bedrooms from when they lived here. Mrs. Venture has her computer and work out stuff in the daughters old room. My sons room is used when he and his wife and the boys visit from Maryland.

There is an extension on the back that you can't see that has the family room, laundry room, breakfast room, etc. That's where we spend most of our time.

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    Now you just have to take pictures of the Subaru's in the garage or on the driveway.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    venture said:

Man! We did the exact same thing.
    When I was in high school I worked as a stock boy at the local liquor store. I couldn't work the register but i could make sure the shelves were stocked and the cooler was filled. Needless to say I had no issues getting high octane drinks.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    driver100 said:

After watching about 350 Grey's Anatomys and now into season 2 of Chicago Med I have learned to be wary if I hear the words "I am so sorry for your loss", that must be the first thing they teach med students to say. That is the standard line, and I am sure you get a higher mark depending on how sincerely you can say it.

Another thing that I wonder about is all the extra conversations that are going on about all kinds of things, while a guys abdomen is open on the table and doctors and nurses are running around trying to keep the guy alive. :)

About 3 colonoscopies back, the nurse in the room put on some Mariachi Mexacan DVD. She explained that Dr. Hoople liked to dance to it while he was doing the colonoscopy. I was sedated just enough I didn't jump up off the table and leave. Just picture the guy dancing and moving around while guiding a light and scope through your gut. One wrong jerk to the beat of the music and we have a torn intestine. "Oops. Sorry. That was one of my favorite songs and I just got carried away."

That was the colonoscopy where I could remember a lot of the video as I was coming to. I watched the scope leaving my rear end. Then the memory faded over the next hour in recovery.

https://columbiasurgery.org/news/2013/03/18/five-reasons-not-get-colonoscopy

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    @venture - your home looks fantastic!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

driver100 said:

After watching about 350 Grey's Anatomys and now into season 2 of Chicago Med I have learned to be wary if I hear the words "I am so sorry for your loss", that must be the first thing they teach med students to say. That is the standard line, and I am sure you get a higher mark depending on how sincerely you can say it.

Another thing that I wonder about is all the extra conversations that are going on about all kinds of things, while a guys abdomen is open on the table and doctors and nurses are running around trying to keep the guy alive. :)

About 3 colonoscopies back, the nurse in the room put on some Mariachi Mexacan DVD. She explained that Dr. Hoople liked to dance to it while he was doing the colonoscopy. I was sedated just enough I didn't jump up off the table and leave. Just picture the guy dancing and moving around while guiding a light and scope through your gut. One wrong jerk to the beat of the music and we have a torn intestine. "Oops. Sorry. That was one of my favorite songs and I just got carried away."

That was the colonoscopy where I could remember a lot of the video as I was coming to. I watched the scope leaving my rear end. Then the memory faded over the next hour in recovery.

There was a story in the news some time ago where a guy getting that procedure left his cell phone recording and picked up all sorts of unprofessional behavior and comments. I think he sued over it.

Then there’s the Sinefeld episode where Jerry wakes up after a dental procedure to find the dentist and his assistant getting dressed.

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964

driver100 said:

Good article, easy to read and informative.
    During my last colonoscopy I woke up a bit early. It started with 2 docs in the room, when I woke up but acted like I was still under I could hear about 5 people laughing and joking and talking about what they were planning on doing for the weekend...while my butt was the centerpiece of the whole party.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    carnaught said:

Hmmmmm......

@graphicguy, the gas bubble placed in the eyeball stabilizes the “globe” until you make more vitreous fluid and it replaces the bubble. I assume you had a vitrectomy (removal of vitreous) along with reattachment of the retinal tear/detachment. The bubble is the cause of the “blacked out” vision in that eye. Once the bubble is absorbed, vision is restored. It takes weeks, or more (in my case), for that to happen. When I went through that I felt like I was looking through a dense aquarium, and the water was being drained slowly, as the bubble was being resolved, until I could see more and more from the eye. In general, I found it unpleasant to try and read or watch tv. I subscribed to AUDIBLE and had books read to me. I got claustrophobic and felt better sitting outside in the shade, just relaxing, listening to music, and chatting with visitors. I know the feelings at times can be quite disconcerting, but rest-assured it too will pass. Most likely, you will get most, if not not your total vision back - I did. Best to you for a fast and complete recovery.

Oh, and doctors cannot give guarantees but from experience, they can give appropriate prognoses. Not all, but most are forthcoming with their surgical results.

Thanks so much. The first time I had this surgery (in the same eye), the surgeon put in an oil fluid, which provided vision within 48 hours. But, the oil had to be removed via another surgery weeks later. That’s my reference.

Given the amount of surgeries on my eyes, I’m a bit nervous about the outcome. My surgeon also cautioned that because of all the surgical events on my eyes, there was a significant risk regarding my visual acuity moving forward. He was pleased with initial post surgery observations. But, anything can happen.

Your experience sounds close to what I’m experiencing. The other issue relates to all the gyrations I have to go through to assure the retina healing correctly (face down, sleeping nose perpendicular to the floor, aching neck and shoulders as a result of those gyrations, etc).

I feel better hearing amount similar experiences and their outcomes.

Again, thanks for listening to me whine!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,499
    edited October 2020
    Watching anything beyond three Greys Anatomies (on your own, not just to get along with your female partner) is the modern equivalent of being neutered. It's one of many TV shows and commercials that push the concept that women do (and should) run the world, and that men are either morons or useful idiots.

Oh boy.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,499
    Good point. Our days are done, at least if you're old.

That said, the TV world is aimed at women because men have other things to do.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    nyccarguy said:

@venture - your home looks fantastic!

Thanks. You would think that a guy who works at a baseball field would have better grass though. :) It's been a brutal summer.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    abacomike said:

Well, I turned 76 today - a milestone to be sure considering all my physical ailments (Hep C, Liver Cancer, Heart stent) that are currently cured thanks to modern medicine and a great surgeon.

This evening, friends are taking me out for dinner at a steakhouse to celebrate. I had planned to visit my brother up in Northern Florida but that fell through due to his not feeling well. So I "Face-Timed" him this morning to wish him a Happy Birthday 🎊🎁🎂🎈🎉 !

Happy happy birthday! Enjoy!

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

abacomike said:

Well, I turned 76 today - a milestone to be sure considering all my physical ailments (Hep C, Liver Cancer, Heart stent) that are currently cured thanks to modern medicine and a great surgeon.

This evening, friends are taking me out for dinner at a steakhouse to celebrate. I had planned to visit my brother up in Northern Florida but that fell through due to his not feeling well. So I "Face-Timed" him this morning to wish him a Happy Birthday 🎊🎁🎂🎈🎉 !

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MIKE!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Mike, have a nice day and dinner. I’m sure they’re buying so hit em up good.

Oh to be a kid again; must be nice. B)

jmonroe
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    Happy Birthday Mike!

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,224
    @graphicguy - I hope your vision improves
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,118
    Happy birthday, @abacomike !

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    abacomike said:

Happy Birthday Mike! and Tanya too.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oR5OZ-egXw
    Tanya Tucker and Brandi Carlile at the Grammys Awards in January.
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
    HBD, Mike!
    GREAT HOUSE @venture !!!!!!!
  • driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964
    Happy B-Day Mike

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    omarman said:

abacomike said:

Happy Birthday Mike! and Tanya too.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oR5OZ-egXw
    Tanya Tucker and Brandi Carlile at the Grammys Awards in January.
    I saw Tanya Tucker in concert when I was 17 yrs old. And, she was the same age!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    Happy bday, Mike.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,334
    Happy birthday, Mike!
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
    abacomike said:

Congrats! Keep sticking around for awhile.

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,224
    HBD @abacomike - stay healthy
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    abacomike said:

Happy Birthday Mike!
    Have a great day Mike.

Thanks.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,031
    Best birthday wishes, Mike!

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    Well folks, I’m in the market for a natural gas combination (combi) boiler and hot water system to replace my inefficient 20+ year monster cast iron Utica boiler. I’ve called my trusted HVAC guy and he is recommending one of these two systems. The Viessmann Vitodens 100 or a Navien.

Both systems are high efficiency combi boilers rated at 95.0% AFUE but the Viessmann is more expensive, but more reliable according to him. How much more? I don’t know as is he working on a price quote for both. These units look so “small” I wonder if they are capable heating a 2800 sq. ft. home as well as provide on demand hot water for bathing, dishwashing and laundry.

For those who have recently upgraded to a high efficiency boiler, any recommendations? I would appreciate that. Thanks.
  • abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,255
    venture said:

Thanks.
    Love your house/home, Venture! Serene, great placement on the property.🤓

2021 Genesis G90

driver100 said:

Speaking of colonoscopy, I have one scheduled for Oct. 16. I am very scared of this one as my nurse practitioner believes I may have some internal bleeding due to my unintentional weight loss.
    bwia said:

Well folks, I’m in the market for a natural gas combination (combi) boiler and hot water system to replace my inefficient 20+ year monster cast iron Utica boiler. I’ve called my trusted HVAC guy and he is recommending one of these two systems. The Viessmann Vitodens 100 or a Navien.

Both systems are high efficiency combi boilers rated at 95.0% AFUE but the Viessmann is more expensive, but more reliable according to him. How much more? I don’t know as is he working on a price quote for both. These units look so “small” I wonder if they are capable heating a 2800 sq. ft. home as well as provide on demand hot water for bathing, dishwashing and laundry.

For those who have recently upgraded to a high efficiency boiler, any recommendations? I would appreciate that. Thanks.

Navien - 100%. It has to be installed, piped, and vented perfectly, otherwise you’ll have issues with it. This is for your MA home I presume? These tankless combi boilers work much better if the ground water coming into the unit is warm. My Dad (we own a plumbing supply business) has a traditional Natural Gas water heater that is set to heat the water to 100 degrees, then the Navien pulls water from that. He has endless amounts of hot water.

abacomike said:

Happy Birthday and congrats. Enjoy the cake I did not send. May you live a long life.
    nyccarguy said:

bwia said:

Navien - 100%. It has to be installed, piped, and vented perfectly, otherwise you’ll have issues with it. This is for your MA home I presume? These tankless combi boilers work much better if the ground water coming into the unit is warm. My Dad (we own a plumbing supply business) has a traditional Natural Gas water heater that is set to heat the water to 100 degrees, then the Navien pulls water from that. He has endless amounts of hot water.
    Thanks @nyccarguy and yes the unit is for my MA home. I will use that info to negotiate a price break with HVAC guy. And thanks for the tip on the warm water angle. I'm not quite sure if this is possible since ground water is relatively cold.

I forgot to mention that installing a new Condensing Boiler w/On-Demand Hot Water Heater (must be considered one unit by manufacturer) qualifies for a Mass Save rebate of up to $2,750.
    abacomike said:

venture said:

Thanks.
    Love your house/home, Venture! Serene, great placement on the property.🤓
    Thanks Mike.