Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,225
    edited October 2020
    nyccarguy said:

bwia said:

Well folks, I’m in the market for a natural gas combination (combi) boiler and hot water system to replace my inefficient 20+ year monster cast iron Utica boiler. I’ve called my trusted HVAC guy and he is recommending one of these two systems. The Viessmann Vitodens 100 or a Navien.

Both systems are high efficiency combi boilers rated at 95.0% AFUE but the Viessmann is more expensive, but more reliable according to him. How much more? I don’t know as is he working on a price quote for both. These units look so “small” I wonder if they are capable heating a 2800 sq. ft. home as well as provide on demand hot water for bathing, dishwashing and laundry.

For those who have recently upgraded to a high efficiency boiler, any recommendations? I would appreciate that. Thanks.

Navien - 100%. It has to be installed, piped, and vented perfectly, otherwise you’ll have issues with it. This is for your MA home I presume? These tankless combi boilers work much better if the ground water coming into the unit is warm. My Dad (we own a plumbing supply business) has a traditional Natural Gas water heater that is set to heat the water to 100 degrees, then the Navien pulls water from that. He has endless amounts of hot water.
    I have 2 natural gas Navien water heaters. Only issue is when the power goes out- then no hot water
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    nyccarguy said:

Navien - 100%. It has to be installed, piped, and vented perfectly, otherwise you’ll have issues with it. This is for your MA home I presume? These tankless combi boilers work much better if the ground water coming into the unit is warm. My Dad (we own a plumbing supply business) has a traditional Natural Gas water heater that is set to heat the water to 100 degrees, then the Navien pulls water from that. He has endless amounts of hot water.

Interesting. I recall This Old House shows that show installing such a unit as that for home heating and hot water supply. I don't recall that they suggesting tempering the incoming water through a warming tank, but that makes sense to me. Of course, if This Old House did it, the tempering tank would have to be powered by solar cells to be energy efficient and would have to be a heat pump type tank heater (turning sarcasm off).

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Happy Birthday Mike! 30 to go!
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    abacomike said:

Well, I turned 76 today - a milestone to be sure considering all my physical ailments (Hep C, Liver Cancer, Heart stent) that are currently cured thanks to modern medicine and a great surgeon.

This evening, friends are taking me out for dinner at a steakhouse to celebrate. I had planned to visit my brother up in Northern Florida but that fell through due to his not feeling well. So I "Face-Timed" him this morning to wish him a Happy Birthday 🎊🎁🎂🎈🎉 !

Well a very happy birthday to you.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    Happy birthday Lincoln! What kind of ice cream goes with Jurassic Park cake? Ginger? I remember the ice cream movie scene but the only dialogue I recall is "spared no expense!" He used that line a lot.

My mom would ask the birthday boy/girl what kind of cake they wanted for their birthday and my older brother always wanted chocolate cake+frosting. Every time.
    One year I asked for a pineapple upside down cake and he threatened not to eat any of my birthday cake! So I asked for it again next year too.
    The tradition of singing Happy Birthday always came with echoes of "aboing!" thanks to Lucy's Toy Shop. And Pierre the poodle.
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,466
    venture said:

Check out this cake for my grandson who will turn 3 in a few days. It was made by Jason Hisley who was on Cake Wars, Cake Hunters, Cupcake Wars, and on the Food Network, etc. Pretty cool.

He likes dinosaurs, especially the T-Rex.

You have to post a picture of him when he see’s that cake. I doubt he’ll ever forget that cake.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • ventureventure Member Posts: 2,860
    jmonroe1 said:

venture said:

Check out this cake for my grandson who will turn 3 in a few days. It was made by Jason Hisley who was on Cake Wars, Cake Hunters, Cupcake Wars, and on the Food Network, etc. Pretty cool.

You have to post a picture of him when he see’s that cake. I doubt he’ll ever forget that cake.

jmonroe

I will try to remember. I wonder what they had to pay for that?

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    Speaking of colonoscopies... lol.

Seriously, though, I have been trying to schedule one for a month. I can’t get anybody to call me back!

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

qbrozen said:

Seriously, though, I have been trying to schedule one for a month. I can’t get anybody to call me back!

I have a couple openings next week.

Dr. JM

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    I had a colonoscopy and endoscopy a couple of months ago; they found nothing thankfully.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,334
    I recently changed meds which requires another close up in February (last one was this past July). Another Propofyl nap coming my way!
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
  • dad23dad23 Member Posts: 866
    Happy Birthday @abacomike 🍰
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,856
    My daughter’s fifth birthday is today. We celebrated with a little party for her yesterday. I had a mermaid decorated cake made for her, but nothing like that dinosaur! That’s awesome.

Happy Belated @abacomike

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

I had a colonoscopy and endoscopy a couple of months ago; they found nothing thankfully.

I had a colonoscopy about 18 months ago, I do remember some aspects of it. Never had a endoscopy but about a year or so ago I had a cystoscopy (you do not want to know where that goes). You don't get sedated with that and it was interesting to watch the screen when they did the procedure.

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964
    jmonroe1 said:

qbrozen said:

Dr. JM

JMonroes Home Renovations and Home Colonoscopies all done for a reasonable price - Special sale this weekend!

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,564

nyccarguy said:

Interesting. I recall This Old House shows that show installing such a unit as that for home heating and hot water supply. I don't recall that they suggesting tempering the incoming water through a warming tank, but that makes sense to me. Of course, if This Old House did it, the tempering tank would have to be powered by solar cells to be energy efficient and would have to be a heat pump type tank heater (turning sarcasm off).

Actually, preheating water with solar goes back at least to the 70s. We considered that when we built but like everything else back then the capital costs made it impractical. We just didn’t have any spare money for innovative applications.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

jmonroe1 said:

qbrozen said:

Dr. JM

Are you still using a drain snake?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    Sounds like Bob Newhart's story about the Grace L. Ferguson Airline And Storm Door Company.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR5auN1QSp0
    No frills no extras like maintenance, radar, "and a whole bunch of technical instruments."
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
  • abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,255
    dad23 said:

Happy Birthday @abacomike 🍰

I have not seen any posts on this thread from you before - thanks for the birthday wishes, "dad23".

Why not tell us all something about yourself, where you live, what you do/did for a living, kids, grandkids, etc. :)

2021 Genesis G90

Sounds amazing. Wife and I heading to a steakhouse dinner tomorrow night for our anniversary.

edited October 2020

jmonroe1 said:

qbrozen said:

Dr. JM

Are you still using a drain snake?

What’s wrong with that? I use new bits with each procedure. If he wants to save a few bucks I can use the one from the previous job if it’s the right size. That’ll save him a few bucks. But IIRC he’s a pretty big guy so I usually have order those. Going through life as a big [non-permissible content removed] has it’s problems but I’m sure he used to it by now. :(

jmonroe
    tjc78 said:

Sounds amazing. Wife and I heading to a steakhouse dinner tomorrow night for our anniversary.

Man, you guys go first class. I usually order a pizza with extra mushrooms on her side since she doesn’t like pepperoni or sausage.

jmonroe

jmonroe1 said:

tjc78 said:

Man, you guys go first class. I usually order a pizza with extra mushrooms on her side since she doesn’t like pepperoni or sausage.

jmonroe

Well you more than what I would like. I would prefer to let the day slip by without any fanfare, but the wife won't let me do that.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,441
    tjc78 said:

Chophouse or into the city?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Wanted to go into the city, but a few we like didn’t have indoor dining. We are going to Capital Grill.

nice. I have never been but people have told me it is good.

Out and about just now and just before I reach my destination I see an accident happen a hundred feet or so in front of me. A glancing strike where the front right corner barely hits the rear left corner of the other car. Not sure if the rear car couldn't stop in time and tried to avoid the accident or he was going for the left turn lane and thought he had enough room.

Anyway the car that got hit had minimal damage to the rear bumper and the car that hit it had a little more and was leaking radiator fluid. So it's really not that big of a deal.

However once the accident happened immediately dome young lady jumps out of the backseat (passenger side) almost getting hit by passing traffic. She is hysterical, yelling and screaming like someone just shoot their dog. The two drivers were calm and collected but this lady was running all over the place yelling and screaming at the top of her lungs.

edited October 2020
    stickguy said:

It’s really good. Not quite as good as Butcher and Singer or Delfriscos but I enjoy it more than Ruth’s Chris.

I think that I mentioned that I live practically across the street from one of those pumpkin places. Well I just got home and that place is a mad house. Their parking lot is over flowing, traffic is all tied up and the police are blocking off roads into the subdivisions to keep people from parking there. we have been here for about 19 years and this is the worse I have ever seen it. :@

On the plus side it was a great weekend and I did get to the silo before they closed for the season. And do not ask me how the car got there as I do not know.

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    jmonroe1 said:

venture said:

jmonroe

He’s 3 so he won’t remember it, but Mom and Dad will, and the picture will be priceless.

'14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    low tide?

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    Glad you had a great evening. My birthday 6 months ago I had a Marie Callender's pot pie.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

suydam said:

jmonroe1 said:

venture said:

jmonroe

He’s 3 so he won’t remember it, but Mom and Dad will, and the picture will be priceless.

Don’t be so sure of that. I remember some things when I was 3. Ahead of the curve I guess.

jmonroe

tjc78 said:

stickguy said:

It’s really good. Not quite as good as Butcher and Singer or Delfriscos but I enjoy it more than Ruth’s Chris.
    I used up all my leftover unemployment money and splurged on a big Filet Mignon shank (is that what it’s called?) $137. Sliced off three nice pieces and broiled them. Served them with Broccoli and potatoes. Yum! First time in years that I’ve indulged my fancy tastes.

ab348 said:

New Ford CEO Jim Farley is someone who I’ve followed on Twitter for a while. Surprisingly to me, he is still making the occasional post. This weekend he posted a question along with a chart of most popular car colours. His question was in regard to green exterior colours on cars. I responded that Ford had some nice metallic greens in the recent past along with some blues and a brown metallic. I also said there are too many white, black, silver and grey cars and way too many black interiors. He liked my post. That’s the first time an automaker’s CEO ever responded to me on anything! My opinion of Ford has improved as a result.

Next time you talk to him tell Ford to get their act together on painting aluminum hoods.

ab348 said:

New Ford CEO Jim Farley is someone who I’ve followed on Twitter for a while. Surprisingly to me, he is still making the occasional post. This weekend he posted a question along with a chart of most popular car colours. His question was in regard to green exterior colours on cars. I responded that Ford had some nice metallic greens in the recent past along with some blues and a brown metallic. I also said there are too many white, black, silver and grey cars and way too many black interiors. He liked my post. That’s the first time an automaker’s CEO ever responded to me on anything! My opinion of Ford has improved as a result.

Next time you talk to him tell Ford to get their act together on painting aluminum hoods.
    Lol that’s been for years! Especially white paint. My Grandfather’s 04 Grand Marquis had the paint come off in sheets on the hood.

It’s known as Ford fail white.

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913

nyccarguy said:

nyccarguy said:

@imidazol97, here is the 4-year old This old House video to which you refer. Today's combi boilers work on the same principle, but are more efficient and more reliable. Enjoy! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuxvKbIIYLU
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,032
    nyccarguy said:

bwia said:

Well folks, I’m in the market for a natural gas combination (combi) boiler and hot water system to replace my inefficient 20+ year monster cast iron Utica boiler. I’ve called my trusted HVAC guy and he is recommending one of these two systems. The Viessmann Vitodens 100 or a Navien.

Both systems are high efficiency combi boilers rated at 95.0% AFUE but the Viessmann is more expensive, but more reliable according to him. How much more? I don’t know as is he working on a price quote for both. These units look so “small” I wonder if they are capable heating a 2800 sq. ft. home as well as provide on demand hot water for bathing, dishwashing and laundry.

For those who have recently upgraded to a high efficiency boiler, any recommendations? I would appreciate that. Thanks.

I noticed that the TOH video that was posted used a Rinnai system. How would they rate?

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    ab348 said:

nyccarguy said:

bwia said:

I noticed that the TOH video that was posted used a Rinnai system. How would they rate?
    HORRIBLE.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    If Mercury was still around they could name their next model the "Money Pit"

Lexus could name their next model the "Lemon."

I think these name's would be better sellers than "K5"
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    nyccarguy said:

ab348 said:

nyccarguy said:

bwia said:

HORRIBLE.
    You really should say how you feel and not hold back so much

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,032
    nyccarguy said:

ab348 said:

nyccarguy said:

bwia said:

HORRIBLE.
    But Rich Trethewey said it was the best thing since sliced bread? Surely PBS and TOH wouldn't steer you wrong, would they? :open_mouth:

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    tjc78 said:

nyccarguy said:

ab348 said:

nyccarguy said:

bwia said:

HORRIBLE.
    You really should say how you feel and not hold back so much
    I'll take that into consideration. Next time. I strongly urge people not to purchase products from Rinnai & Quiet Side.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

edited October 2020
    Those guys on TOH remind me of the "executive plumber" in the Money Pit movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO9nxRjIv2A

tjc78 said:

ab348 said:

Lol that’s been for years! Especially white paint. My Grandfather’s 04 Grand Marquis had the paint come off in sheets on the hood.

It’s known as Ford fail white.
    General Motors too. You should see the hood of my van and it’s not even aluminum.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    On one episode TOH was pushing an electric shutoff valve for the hot/cold water hookups for a clothes washer. At the time our new washer/dryer combo blocked the manual shutoff valve so we had the electronic valve installed. In theory it was supposed to sense when the washer powered up and open the water valves. In practice it never worked. Not once. My plumber contacted the company and did his best to troubleshoot it but he had no success. I ended up returning it and we reoriented the washer/dryer to where I could reach the manual valve.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

You shut your water off to your washer? I have two sets in my home and have never done that. The upstairs set has braided hoses for extra security.