Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dome light malfunction

aww1254aww1254 Member Posts: 1
edited March 2017 in MINI
2008 Mini Cooper S. The interior overhead dome light started not always coming on when the door was opened and now while driving every time the brake pedal is depressed the overhead dome light comes on. Has anyone else experienced this unique problem? If so, what are the possible causes and fix?

Comments

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Not coming on when the door opens could be the switch in the door sticking. The light coming on with the brake pedal could be some kind of short. Years ago I had a car that started doing the same thing and it turned out to be a short in the fusebox. No idea WHY is would make that connection, but like most electrical gremlins, it took a bit of detective work to corner it.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    You'd need a full wiring diagram to figure this out. If I were diagnosing this, I'd use the chart to figure out where the brake light circuit could possibly intersect with the dome light wiring, and start looking there. My suspicion would be somewhere along the door sills, as the loom runs from the firewall back along the sides of the car to the brake lights. The dome light wiring must run up the B pillar behind the driver (although I guess it could run up the A pillar and along the headliner.

No doubt this won't be easy.
  • Txgirl819Txgirl819 Member Posts: 1
    My 2010 started doing this and caught fire tonight. An electrical fire under the dash. If you are here with this problem, beware!